97.1 The Freak

RPM

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You can't judge it on this. Right now it's a ton of Julie and she won't be on during a time that matters. 

Damn I'm so glad Julie has made herself personna non grata for the Hangzone. 

Where or where will get our hard-hitting Stars coverage from?

How long before “The Suits” start making them talk more Cowboys?
I thought they only did that when the station was the home of the Cowboys? Seems like all the local sports talk stations were at one point in time. I think The Fan still is. I would hope they don't do it here.

I understand the excitement about the unexpected return of Texas Radio Hall of Famer Mike Rhyner to local airwaves.

But am I the only one conflicted that the beloved “Godfather of The Ticket” — the one-of-a-kind sports talk station that Mike built on listeners’ unswerving devotion — has signed up to conquer the station that has brought us so much joy these last 28 years?

My point of view feels pretty lonely, given that even many Ticket loyalists, intoxicated by this soap opera, are cheering the return of the Old Gray Wolf to the new 97.1 The Freak.

Even worse, in the gladiator ring that is social media, I’ve seen a lot of the sentiment “to hell with The Little Ticket. I hope The Freak takes them down.”

For this Day One P1, it’s awful to watch the longtime leader of The Ticket’s tight-knit band of brothers return from retirement to try a land grab on legacy.

A guy who wasn’t just a founding member of The Ticket bunker but who built that bunker on Monday began shooting down into

When I talked with Mike the day before The Freak’s launch, I asked how he squares building a station on listener loyalty and then competing against his former partners for those same listeners.

“I don’t have a real good answer for that right now,” he said. “I realize I’m gonna have to square it in some way.”

As for my analogy that his sights are set on The Ticket, Mike said: “I guess you could look at it that way. But if that’s the case, I’m shooting with a BB gun across the moat into the castle that is The Ticket.”

Mike got a hero’s sendoff when he left The Ticket and has regularly been back on its airwaves and at events for P1s, which refers to those of us who listen almost exclusively to the station. If he’s got new ideas, why not return to the place so identified with his best work and where he had lifelong friends?

His response is that no one at the station ever specifically raised that possibility — and he was not about to call them and ask.

Until 97.1 came calling, he said, “I was a very happy retiree.”

Ticket program director Jeff Catlin told me he was as shocked as anyone when he first heard the rumors several weeks ago.

“I didn’t believe it. And now I am really sad about it,” he said. “Mike has a home on The Ticket for life, but he never contacted me about having the itch to get back on air.”

Jeff doesn’t understand why Mike never reached out to anyone at The Ticket about his plans.

“I didn’t think it was their business,” Mike told me when I asked why his longtime Ticket colleagues learned only through the grapevine of his plans to return.

Mike said sticking it to The Ticket or to owner Cumulus Media wasn’t a motivator. But he followed up with the contention that he had been “minimized and marginalized” by almost everyone at the station.

Mike Rhyner, right, and Corby Davidson shared a laugh at The Ticket's broadcast table at the...
Mike Rhyner, right, and Corby Davidson shared a laugh at The Ticket's broadcast table at the week leading up to the 2008 Super Bowl in Phoenix.(TOM FOX)
Corby Davidson, who still works in the prestigious drive-time hours that he shared with Mike from January 2000 to his retirement 20 years later, said he has no idea what his former Hardline co-host means about being minimized.

“Mike was universally loved at The Ticket,” Corby told me. “We hoisted him on our shoulders in retirement. We invited him to all our events. We had him on all our shows, as recently as August.”

Corby said he and his colleagues believed Mike would always be the face and heartbeat of The Ticket. “He chose otherwise, and destroyed relationships that had been in existence for 30 years. It’s heartbreaking and unconscionable.”

So much for that band of brothers I like so many thought was unbreakable.

And while The Ticket is a formidable powerhouse (and in full disclosure, partners with The Dallas Morning News to produce the SportsDay Talk app), don’t confuse this with any David vs. Goliath fight.

Mike’s new home is owned by iHeartRadio, a huge corporation that ranks well ahead of Cumulus in the number of stations it owns. The Freak broadcasts the Mavericks games, considerably more popular than The Ticket’s Stars franchise.

Bigger than that, The Freak boasts a broadcasting signal that The Ticket can only dream of.

But here’s what The Ticket does have: Listeners for whom its ecosystem — created by those hosts who have been on the air since the station’s earliest days — is entwined into our DNA.

Memories of The Ticket and its place in my day-to-day life in 2022 are ties that don’t break.

In recent years, I’ve come to regard Mike, along with Morning Muser Gordon Keith and a couple of other guys at the station, as a friend. But years before meeting any of them, I was a die-hard P1.

Saturday night dinner conversations in the 1990s meant the retelling of the most absurd Ticket moments of the week. The Musers were the soundtrack of car-pooling my two sons to school each day. Decades later, a surefire way to bond with a new acquaintance is to ask if he or she is a P1.

Shawn Williams, now a vice president with Allyn Media, and I did just that back when I sought him out in 2007 to learn more about southern Dallas.

At the time, he was running the online Dallas South News operation and was not so sure whether to trust an establishment journalist like me. I still recall how talking about The Ticket — he too was a longtime P1 — broke the ice.

“The Ticket is part of my subconscious,” Shawn said when I called him to talk about the Rhyner defection. “Some of these are people I’ve been listening to for more than 20 years. Turning on The Ticket is, like, what I’m supposed to do.”

So, yes, he feels some conflict. But he also knows a lot of people in this market want to do sports talk and need more opportunities.

His car radio may be set on The Ticket, but during commercial breaks, he scans the dial. “I may go over to 97.1, but it’s not something I’m making an appointment for.”

Listening to Mike’s opening segments on The Freak on Monday, just to make sure it went off as advertised, I couldn’t shake the feeling that this was that first raw day when an ugly custody agreement is finally signed.

Now father is competing against son.

The Ticket will remain steady by continuing to be the best possible version of itself, and I’m sure the new competition will make it better.

But I remain enormously sad that the next chapter in Dallas radio unfolded this way — and baffled by how unconflicted so many of my fellow Ticket listeners feel about this sorry ending.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2022/10/03/the-way-mike-rhyner-has-returned-to-dallas-radio-leaves-this-ticket-p1-awfully-conflicted/

• Hook 'Em 2

Catlin has himself to blame. 

Had a perfectly good show from 10-12 in Donovan and Sirois and he fucked it up by not moving on from Norm. Failed to capitalize on home grown talent that people responded well to and now that's half of the afternoon show that is going to siphon off the hardline. Rhyner probably doesn't do this if he had to join Ben and Skin or partner with someone he doesn't know well like Cavanaugh. 

I'm just happy there's a good alternative to Corby and Bob. Just wish Davy was with Sirois and Rhyner. I don't know when Donovan's contract ends but would be good if they could pay him more to join the afternoon show and re-team with Sirois. Would be good for the future if they get a good following when Rhyner wants to retire for good. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Like 2

I don’t get why Corby and the other ticket guys feel so butthurt and talk about Rhyner “destroying relationships”. Sure, it has to sting a little, but the iconoclastic, anti-establishment nature that led him to start the Ticket naturally led him to this point - and though iHeart is definitely the establishment from a radio industry standpoint, this station is definitely an upstart. 

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

I don’t get why Corby and the other ticket guys feel so butthurt and talk about Rhyner “destroying relationships”. Sure, it has to sting a little, but the iconoclastic, anti-establishment nature that led him to start the Ticket naturally led him to this point - and though iHeart is definitely the establishment from a radio industry standpoint, this station is definitely an upstart. 

Corby's usual hyperbole aside... Mike and Sirois are directly going after his show. Trying to take his livelihood. So I can understand him feeling hurt by it. 

I doubt the Musers or hangzone give much of a shit. A morning show with Julie Dobbs isn't going to touch the musers and Ben and Skin were already going against the hangzone for months now. 

The time slots they chose made it clear: they're looking to take down the weak link of the Hardline and compete for afternoon drive money. 

• Hook 'Em 2

A few day 1 observations. 

Julie seems like she isn’t very good. I didn’t listen to her much at the Ticket but not good so far.

The Mike Rhyner sycophant fest by his co-hosts was off-putting.  

I am not that troubled by Rhyner doing this even though l’ve been a long time dedicated Ticket listener. The crew was coasting. When was the last new Gordo 8:40 character? When was Corby properly prepared to discuss a topic? They had this coming. Time to up their game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Corby's usual hyperbole aside... Mike and Sirois are directly going after his show. Trying to take his livelihood. So I can understand him feeling hurt by it. 

Agreed this is a direct shot at Corby and Bob (and now I guess Dave).  Of course they are going to take it personally.  Even though I constantly bitch about Corby and Bob, and I'm certain I'll give Mike and Sirois a listen just to check it out, my guess is I still tune in to the ticket almost exclusively.  I agree they fucked up letting Sirois walk which led to this, but like that article stated, I can't really square Mike taking direct aim at the station he built. Frankly I would probably be more likely to listen if this was a Sirois/Grubes show without Mike.  I don't blame him for cashing in one last payday but doesn't mean I have to support it.  It just doesn't sit well with me.   

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A few day 1 observations. 

Julie seems like she isn’t very good. I didn’t listen to her much at the Ticket but not good so far.

The Mike Rhyner sycophant fest by his co-hosts was off-putting.  

I am not that troubled by Rhyner doing this even though l’ve been a long time dedicated Ticket listener. The crew was coasting. When was the last new Gordo 8:40 character? When was Corby properly prepared to discuss a topic? They had this coming. Time to up their game. 

She sucks.

And the Rhynes' sycophant fest is why I think this won't be very good when he retires again, whenever that is.

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Agreed this is a direct shot at Corby and Bob (and now I guess Dave).  Of course they are going to take it personally.  Even though I constantly bitch about Corby and Bob, and I'm certain I'll give Mike and Sirois a listen just to check it out, my guess is I still tune in to the ticket almost exclusively.  I agree they fucked up letting Sirois walk which led to this, but like that article stated, I can't really square Mike taking direct aim at the station he built. Frankly I would probably be more likely to listen if this was a Sirois/Grubes show without Mike.  I don't blame him for cashing in one last payday but doesn't mean I have to support it.  It just doesn't sit well with me.   

I mean it's not like they told Rhynes to go. He voluntarily left.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I doubt the Musers or hangzone give much of a shit. A morning show with Julie Dobbs isn't going to touch the musers and Ben and Skin were already going against the hangzone for months now. 

The time slots they chose made it clear: they're looking to take down the weak link of the Hardline and compete for afternoon drive money. 

That’s fair. Although I’m a big Davey fan going all the way back to the Rant, I tire quickly of Bob’s constant Mr. Expert bloviating and Corby’s lack of research or even basic show prep - which is why this new afternoon show intrigues me. We shall see…

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

you know, if mike would bring back the hammer I would 100% listen.  I wonder if he’s considered it. 

It's a whole new day and new world since the last time they did a show. It's too much old bastard these days for a serious time slot. 

Would be great for a 10 to noon slot to go directly against norm

Ok, the Sunset Lounge segment was finally what I’d been wanting to hear. It felt right, from the jazz bed music to the easy banter. This is what I want from the afternoon show. And Mike closing with the “stay hard, keep jamming and we’ll see ya” was shocking but also appropriate. 

47 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Corby’s lack of research or even basic show prep 

Sirois talked about doing the prep for a sports segment stressed him. The other talk was easy. Why is Sirois so much less irritating than Corby when it's obvious they have done no prep? I dunno. Corby makes me want to pound the dash and Chef X makes me laugh 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Sirois talked about doing the prep for a sports segment stressed him. The other talk was easy. Why is Sirois so much less irritating than Corby when it's obvious they have done no prep? I dunno. Corby makes me want to pound the dash and Chef X makes me laugh 

Sirois is talented. Dude could be good at stand up/improv if he wanted to dedicate to that. 

Listening to the replay since I missed ithe first hour and a half earlier and Julie right from the beginning steps all over and fucks up Cavanaugh's introduction. Completely unprofessional and a dick move that you could tell pissed him off but he played it off. She was fine as the butt of drops and Dan's jokes but is horrible as an on air host/personality. Kristina Rey seemed much better today out of the 2 females. 

Wonder how long Julie lasts in that morning show. 

Fuck that article, a smug diatribe behind a ducking paywall working for a paper that will do anything to quash competition. . That’s the news business these days, and terrestrial radio business is crashing fast. I was a day one P1 who struggled in the early days of the internet to listen living out west. The Ticket was a special thing built on a confluence of trends unique in the market and with the original personalities.

But I can barely get thru Corby and Sturm for five minutes without punching to the fan then music or off. They are insufferable; I owe them nothing in terms of me being part of their laziness. The job is to entertain me, I owe them nothing. If they aren’t doing that they can fuck off.

This concept that because they produced great shows in 2002 I owe them my ears in 2022 is stupid.

I’m not judging the station based on the kickoff. I am not really getting the format description by Sirois as “we want to have fun”. I don’t want to hear about falconry or cycling in lieu of relevant Cowboys discussion. I don’t want to hear Sirois saying to Rhyner”tell us another early Ticket story!” We’ll see what it looks like in a month.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Start was great. Tapped out when it was 300 people in the room talking over each other and switched to hear Gordon giving Bob shit about Cooper rush. 

Guess cat doesn't trust corby and Bob on their own to keep listeners because he brought the muesers in all afternoon to defend the western front. Looking forward to tomorrow afternoon to see what a normal show looks like. 

But God almighty get a decent app with rewind. I get they have few/no advertisers but geezus...I thought the feed dropped and it was all Kenny Wayne all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s been a long time since Gordon got arrested by stadium security on a road trip, since Corby over-cussed an interview, since Coach Tom Foolery opened up the field house, since Norm was attuned to how the NFL is working. They have been resting on laurels a while. 

11 minutes ago, statsman said:

It’s been a long time since Gordon got arrested by stadium security on a road trip, since Corby over-cussed an interview, since Coach Tom Foolery opened up the field house, since Norm was attuned to how the NFL is working. They have been resting on laurels a while. 

Yea, they were all 25-35 or so then (Norm and Mike excepted). Now....

Ticket made mistakes. Didn’t move on from Norm.

Splitting Bob and Dan(even though the hang zone is easily the best show on the Ticket now and Jake is good with Dan).

I’m sorry I don’t know why the Musers still get so much love. If not for Gordon that show would be mediocre. Talk about resting on your laurels.

I hope this doesn’t mean more talent poached.

The one thing this may do is spell the end for the Fan. That station is barely worth listening to anyways…and Jeff was the only one worth listening to back in the day anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

I can't remember if it was on here or reddit, but someone posting clearly had inside information. They had correctly called both Mike leaving and the reshuffling of Bob to hardline. The other thing they said was that Rhyner was fucking pissed about Corby complaining to Management that he was mailing it in. To see Corby go public like this and Mike go rogue kind of confirms this in my mind. 

3 hours ago, Da Fino said:

The other thing they said was that Rhyner was fucking pissed about Corby complaining to Management that he was mailing it in.

That's a fucking riot. Corby complaining about somebody mailing it in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, TexPx said:

I understand the excitement about the unexpected return of Texas Radio Hall of Famer Mike Rhyner to local airwaves.

But am I the only one conflicted that the beloved “Godfather of The Ticket” — the one-of-a-kind sports talk station that Mike built on listeners’ unswerving devotion — has signed up to conquer the station that has brought us so much joy these last 28 years?

My point of view feels pretty lonely, given that even many Ticket loyalists, intoxicated by this soap opera, are cheering the return of the Old Gray Wolf to the new 97.1 The Freak.

Even worse, in the gladiator ring that is social media, I’ve seen a lot of the sentiment “to hell with The Little Ticket. I hope The Freak takes them down.”

For this Day One P1, it’s awful to watch the longtime leader of The Ticket’s tight-knit band of brothers return from retirement to try a land grab on legacy.

A guy who wasn’t just a founding member of The Ticket bunker but who built that bunker on Monday began shooting down into

When I talked with Mike the day before The Freak’s launch, I asked how he squares building a station on listener loyalty and then competing against his former partners for those same listeners.

“I don’t have a real good answer for that right now,” he said. “I realize I’m gonna have to square it in some way.”

As for my analogy that his sights are set on The Ticket, Mike said: “I guess you could look at it that way. But if that’s the case, I’m shooting with a BB gun across the moat into the castle that is The Ticket.”

Mike got a hero’s sendoff when he left The Ticket and has regularly been back on its airwaves and at events for P1s, which refers to those of us who listen almost exclusively to the station. If he’s got new ideas, why not return to the place so identified with his best work and where he had lifelong friends?

His response is that no one at the station ever specifically raised that possibility — and he was not about to call them and ask.

Until 97.1 came calling, he said, “I was a very happy retiree.”

Ticket program director Jeff Catlin told me he was as shocked as anyone when he first heard the rumors several weeks ago.

“I didn’t believe it. And now I am really sad about it,” he said. “Mike has a home on The Ticket for life, but he never contacted me about having the itch to get back on air.”

Jeff doesn’t understand why Mike never reached out to anyone at The Ticket about his plans.

“I didn’t think it was their business,” Mike told me when I asked why his longtime Ticket colleagues learned only through the grapevine of his plans to return.

Mike said sticking it to The Ticket or to owner Cumulus Media wasn’t a motivator. But he followed up with the contention that he had been “minimized and marginalized” by almost everyone at the station.

Mike Rhyner, right, and Corby Davidson shared a laugh at The Ticket's broadcast table at the...
Mike Rhyner, right, and Corby Davidson shared a laugh at The Ticket's broadcast table at the week leading up to the 2008 Super Bowl in Phoenix.(TOM FOX)
Corby Davidson, who still works in the prestigious drive-time hours that he shared with Mike from January 2000 to his retirement 20 years later, said he has no idea what his former Hardline co-host means about being minimized.

“Mike was universally loved at The Ticket,” Corby told me. “We hoisted him on our shoulders in retirement. We invited him to all our events. We had him on all our shows, as recently as August.”

Corby said he and his colleagues believed Mike would always be the face and heartbeat of The Ticket. “He chose otherwise, and destroyed relationships that had been in existence for 30 years. It’s heartbreaking and unconscionable.”

So much for that band of brothers I like so many thought was unbreakable.

And while The Ticket is a formidable powerhouse (and in full disclosure, partners with The Dallas Morning News to produce the SportsDay Talk app), don’t confuse this with any David vs. Goliath fight.

Mike’s new home is owned by iHeartRadio, a huge corporation that ranks well ahead of Cumulus in the number of stations it owns. The Freak broadcasts the Mavericks games, considerably more popular than The Ticket’s Stars franchise.

Bigger than that, The Freak boasts a broadcasting signal that The Ticket can only dream of.

But here’s what The Ticket does have: Listeners for whom its ecosystem — created by those hosts who have been on the air since the station’s earliest days — is entwined into our DNA.

Memories of The Ticket and its place in my day-to-day life in 2022 are ties that don’t break.

In recent years, I’ve come to regard Mike, along with Morning Muser Gordon Keith and a couple of other guys at the station, as a friend. But years before meeting any of them, I was a die-hard P1.

Saturday night dinner conversations in the 1990s meant the retelling of the most absurd Ticket moments of the week. The Musers were the soundtrack of car-pooling my two sons to school each day. Decades later, a surefire way to bond with a new acquaintance is to ask if he or she is a P1.

Shawn Williams, now a vice president with Allyn Media, and I did just that back when I sought him out in 2007 to learn more about southern Dallas.

At the time, he was running the online Dallas South News operation and was not so sure whether to trust an establishment journalist like me. I still recall how talking about The Ticket — he too was a longtime P1 — broke the ice.

“The Ticket is part of my subconscious,” Shawn said when I called him to talk about the Rhyner defection. “Some of these are people I’ve been listening to for more than 20 years. Turning on The Ticket is, like, what I’m supposed to do.”

So, yes, he feels some conflict. But he also knows a lot of people in this market want to do sports talk and need more opportunities.

His car radio may be set on The Ticket, but during commercial breaks, he scans the dial. “I may go over to 97.1, but it’s not something I’m making an appointment for.”

Listening to Mike’s opening segments on The Freak on Monday, just to make sure it went off as advertised, I couldn’t shake the feeling that this was that first raw day when an ugly custody agreement is finally signed.

Now father is competing against son.

The Ticket will remain steady by continuing to be the best possible version of itself, and I’m sure the new competition will make it better.

But I remain enormously sad that the next chapter in Dallas radio unfolded this way — and baffled by how unconflicted so many of my fellow Ticket listeners feel about this sorry ending.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2022/10/03/the-way-mike-rhyner-has-returned-to-dallas-radio-leaves-this-ticket-p1-awfully-conflicted/

damn, he didn't even tell any of them he was coming back?

"minimized and marginalized"? the dude took an irish exit, didn't even tell his co-hosts or PD he was leaving, had 48 episodes of a podcast and the only ticket people on it were Sturm (6/21), Dan (3/22) + Sirois and Balis after they left - i like rhyner, but he built it then walked away and kind of fucked over a lot of people at the station on his way out, from PD to hosts he has worked with for years to friends who have been there since day 1 of the ticket.

did he expect everyone to just act like *nothing* happened when he chose to walk away?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Catlin has himself to blame. 

Had a perfectly good show from 10-12 in Donovan and Sirois and he fucked it up by not moving on from Norm. Failed to capitalize on home grown talent that people responded well to and now that's half of the afternoon show that is going to siphon off the hardline. Rhyner probably doesn't do this if he had to join Ben and Skin or partner with someone he doesn't know well like Cavanaugh. 

I'm just happy there's a good alternative to Corby and Bob. Just wish Davy was with Sirois and Rhyner. I don't know when Donovan's contract ends but would be good if they could pay him more to join the afternoon show and re-team with Sirois. Would be good for the future if they get a good following when Rhyner wants to retire for good. 

the rumors around Norm having a huge book must be true, that's the only reason i can think of why they haven't tweaked his show to keep Sirois.

33 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'm happy for you @Grubes. You're a good dude and we've all enjoyed you on the radio over the years. Many of us have hung out with you in the wild. Got no problems with you chasing that iPhong money. However, I'm a little disappointed how Rhynes went about this, I think.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

However, I'm a little disappointed how Rhynes went about this, I think.

This is pretty similar to how the OGW started the little Ticket. Take a good chunk of the money you can't afford to spend then convince your friends to jump without a parachute with you. Hopefully in a couple years you are still on the air. I like the format they are using, Lifestyle Talk. It's not sports-centric and they can concentrate on what everybody likes on The Ticket. The between the sports stuff. The Downbeat is going to eviscerate "The Hardline" even with air support from the morning show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2