2018 College World Series

sidis

I like this outcome a long game to wear both teams down on a hot afternoon

took a lot of pitchers on both teams

OSU loses right out of the gate

UNC won based on one massive meltdown inning by OSU where their pitchers, catcher and outfield melted down completely  so one would not expect that UNC would get an inning like that every game and otherwise they did not score a ton of runs

the other inning that UNC had some of their runs they got a clear gift on that 3rd base play....and sure gifts happen for teams in many games, but that one was pretty critical to that inning

overall I think the weaker team won and they still wore themselves down to do so

now for a UW win and that would be even better

35 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I like this outcome a long game to wear both teams down on a hot afternoon

took a lot of pitchers on both teams

OSU loses right out of the gate

UNC won based on one massive meltdown inning by OSU where their pitchers, catcher and outfield melted down completely  so one would not expect that UNC would get an inning like that every game and otherwise they did not score a ton of runs

the other inning that UNC had some of their runs they got a clear gift on that 3rd base play....and sure gifts happen for teams in many games, but that one was pretty critical to that inning

overall I think the weaker team won and they still wore themselves down to do so

now for a UW win and that would be even better

I was glad it didn't end up being a 1 run victory for the Heels due to that bad call, but no doubt it still had an impact on the game. Fuck those stupid replay rules...just get it right

• Like 1

State with the walkoff double over the right fielder's head.  Seems like they were playing the outfield too shallow.  I know you want to have a chance to throw the runner out at home on a single but I think you have to be able to get to that ball that landed short of the track.

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

The runner was on second, not third. Why play so shallow?

I don’t know shit about the arm strength of their outfielders, but maybe they were playing at a depth where they could throw a guy out at home on a single, and hoping to be able to get back to anything in the air. 

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know shit about the arm strength of their outfielders, but maybe they were playing at a depth where they could throw a guy out at home on a single, and hoping to be able to get back to anything in the air. 

Well, their defensive scheme backfired on them.  Coaching error, for sure.  Wash played very well.

9 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Well, their defensive scheme backfired on them.  Coaching error, for sure.  Wash played very well.

That wasn't a coaching error.  They made a smart probability play and the dice just came up snake eyes. 

You see a grounder get through the infield much much much more often than you see a ball hit to where that one was (especially with how the wind was blowing), and a grounder through the infield would have won the game, too, if they had been playing at normal depth.  

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That wasn't a coaching error.  They made a smart probability play and the dice just came up snake eyes. 

You see a grounder get through the infield much much much more often than you see a ball hit to where that one was (especially with how the wind was blowing), and a grounder through the infield would have won the game, too, if they had been playing at normal depth.  

Maybe...but I’m pretty sure that you can run forward faster than you can run backwards.

15 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Maybe...but I’m pretty sure that you can run forward faster than you can run backwards.

And it's easier to make a catch running forward than backward.  And with runner on second, rather than third, it's a dicier proposition.

And, I would argue that a deepish fly (an easy out in normal depth, Lowell's pop up) is more common than a grounder getting through.

• Like 1