2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

they are slinging some money !!!

they have been.  their payroll was huge last year they just underachieved during the season (and bryce got hurt).  that's why i always thought their "underdog" story was a little silly.  yeah, they were a 6 seed, but it's not like some cinderella story fuck outta here with that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

they have been.  their payroll was huge last year they just underachieved during the season (and bryce got hurt).  that's why i always thought their "underdog" story was a little silly.  yeah, they were a 6 seed, but it's not like some cinderella story fuck outta here with that shit.

they still need pitching 

6 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I have multiple issues with Benintendi, but it seems underemphasized that he broke a hamate bone in September.  I know he has no power, but that can't be good, right?

injuries only matter with brantley, please read the thread

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Good point.  Hope he gives us first crack once he can prove he's healthy.

I also just reminded myself that Jose Abreu is going to hit fucking 6th in this lineup.  Haha.  Holy shit.

and Benintendi would be batting 7th-9th depending on matchups. Any player the Astros acquire moving forward is batting in the bottom 3rd of the lineup.

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

They have no ducking idea how good Javier and Hunter Brown are going to be. 
Astros have 3 of the top 30 starters in baseball, another guy that’s top 75 and another guy that’s top 100. And that doesn’t count Hunter Brown who I absolutely believe will be rookie of the year and end the season as a top 50 starter on his way to Top 10-20 status like Javier did this year. 
Anyone not having the astros with a top 6 rotation right now is a paste eating smooth brained moron 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They have no ducking idea how good Javier and Hunter Brown are going to be. 
Astros have 3 of the top 30 starters in baseball, another guy that’s top 75 and another guy that’s top 100. And that doesn’t count Hunter Brown who I absolutely believe will be rookie of the year and end the season as a top 50 starter on his way to Top 10-20 status like Javier did this year. 
Anyone not having the astros with a top 6 rotation right now is a paste eating smooth brained moron 

brown will be a bullpen guy / #6 starter 

javiwr is the real deal 

Edited by tx 3 putt

52 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I have multiple issues with Benintendi, but it seems underemphasized that he broke a hamate bone in September.  I know he has no power, but that can't be good, right?

I don’t want Benintendi as anything higher than my 6th choice, but I wouldn’t be too concerned about the Hammate bone.  From doing my research when it looked like that might get a Yordan the non thump won’t be affected at all and the power always comes back after 6-18 months. He doesn’t have a ton of power and his schedule would limit what power he does for at worst 2023. If he’s a get on base guy in 2023 you could just hit him 9th and use him as a second leadoff man on days Contreras catches. 
but yeah- 5th or 6th choice for me for sure. 

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Astros, Braves, Dodgers then everyone else.

But you don't get to be cutting-edge / riveting by picking the obvious.  No, you have to go out on a limb kind of like picking the Mariners to win the AL West last year.

Fucking 60% of the dorks that write/talk about baseball we’re on the mariners or angels limb. Fucking assholes and stupid ones at that. 

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

If this is the plan, why would they be interested in Benintendi? He’s not really a centerfielder and you’d like more pop from your DH

How involved do you think Dusty is in off-season maneuvering and FA acquisition?  Also, they might figure they can play him in CF some. 

11 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, Javier is already there. 200 K in 150 IP and a 2.54 ERA (152 ERA+). Then was untouchable in the postseason. 

Nope. Javier is winning a Cy Young too as he learns to pitch a little more efficiently and stop with the 4 or 5 inning 100 pitch jobs he occasionally does. It’s a small step but also a next one. That’s what differentiates all stars/fringe all stars from Cy Young guys. He’s not that yet but will be, probably next year. 

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Haha locking up Harper till he is 39 and Turner until he is 40.

Never change Dave Dombrowski lord you fucked up the Tigers with Cabrera's contract and rather than learning from your mistake you double down.  What a fucktard.

That's his MO and people think it could get him into the hall of fame.  Overpay on long term FA deals, trade away the whole farm for current value, hope you win a ring, and move onto the next job before it's time to pay the piper.

• Hook 'Em 3

If the Astros trade for Murphy, Maldonado either accepts a backup role or they trade him. Murphy ain't coming to sit behind Maldonado.

In the golden era of Astros baseball, 1998-now, the Astros have had catchers post a .755+ OPS (Murphy's career mark) 4 times.

Melusky's .888 in 2000

Castro's .835 in 2013

McCann's .759 in 2017

Chirinos' .790 in 2019

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I really dont think JV will do well in NY but id love to be proven wrong. Dusty gave JV what he wanted. We got a 6 man rotation sometimes and JV got extra time to rest up. Not sure NYM can provide the same level of comfort. Not sure NYM can give him the same run support we have always given him. JV wants 300 wins and I will eat my hat if he gets that for NYM.