Coach Sark Press Conference 11.7 - 11:00am LHN

BigOrange1

Betting Fox is waiting on our game with TCU to decide if they do Big Noon at Baylor or some Big 10 location. Would be funny if Bedlam fell to ESPN+ or FS1. The other Big Noon option is Illinois @ Michigan assuming both win on Saturday.

Edited by mdmost

Bend but don't break defensive strategy confirmed as a Sarkisian's preference. So even if PK is let go Steve will hire another that does the same type thing. Sark is just fine if they keep us on the field for 100 plays as long as they earned 3-4 yards per play.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Betting Fox is waiting on our game with TCU to decide if they do Big Noon at Baylor or some Big 10 location. Would be funny if Bedlam fell to ESPN+ or FS1. The other Big Noon option is Illinois @ Michigan assuming both win on Saturday.

USA is playing England in the World Cup at 1 on Fox the day of the Baylor game.  I would think that greatly enhances the chances of the Baylor game being a night game, especially if the winner is going to the conference championship game.

Edit: You’re talking about the Baylor TCU game.  I’m an idiot.

Edited by IPoopOnWhoop

11 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

More bend but don't break bullshit. Hey Sark if they score two field goals in the second half they will out score your second half offensive output.

I mean our defense is bad, but they are only giving up 21.78 points per game, 38th in the country.

That suggests that bend but don't break isn't bullshit. It seems to be working, because we are not the 38th best defense out there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Bend but don't break defensive strategy confirmed as a Sarkisian's preference. So even if PK is let go Steve will hire another that does the same type thing. Sark is just fine if they keep us on the field for 100 plays as long as they earned 3-4 yards per play.

I know people keep thinking the reason our pass defense is bad is because we play soft coverage. It isn't. Our defensive problems stem from a complete inability of our linebackers to play man and brain dead mistakes in zone coverage. Guys aren't wide open because our coverage is giving them space on purpose, they are wide open because our players aren't executing. Fortunately, despite all those miscues, somehow our scoring defense is pretty good, mainly because our rush defense is legitimately excellent. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

I know people keep thinking the reason our pass defense is bad is because we play soft coverage. It isn't. Our defensive problems stem from a complete inability of our linebackers to play man and brain dead mistakes in zone coverage. Guys aren't wide open because our coverage is giving them space on purpose, they are wide open because our players aren't executing. Fortunately, despite all those miscues, somehow our scoring defense is pretty good, mainly because our rush defense is legitimately excellent. 

Yeah the reason we can't cover is because we can't cover. It seemed like they game planned to take away the middle of the field against OSU and wow did our guys not execute.

At this point the situation is unlikely to get better without improvements to personnel. 

I don't think it is some philosophical choice to just give up easy passes the whole game.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Can't count how many times I've seen a receiver run into someones zone and instead of closing the distance and covering they back peddle till the ball is thrown to a wide open guy in the middle of a soft defense.  The players seem to be in the correct position, but shit the bed on actual coverage when they come into the zone.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

Can't count how many times I've seen a receiver run into someones zone and instead of closing the distance and covering they back peddle till the ball is thrown to a wide open guy in the middle of a soft defense.  The players seem to be in the correct position, but shit the bed on actual coverage when they come into the zone.  

Yeah, it's like they treat zone as a buffer zone:  if a guy gets into your zone, maintain spacing instead of executing man coverage on him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Anybody ask Sark why his dumbass decided to run behind Jones instead of Banks during a 3rd or 4th down and short???? Or anytime we need a 1st down?

Bijan averages almost a full two yards more running to Jones' right, than he does to Banks left.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't think the issue is the direction we ran the ball.  The issue is running the exact same toss play we ran on a previous 3rd down earlier in the game but running it against a loaded box that gave the play zero chance of working pre snap.

He was scared of Quinn losing the game and basically said as much about the 4rh quarter red zone play calling in the post game press conference.  I might actually be fine with that. But he could have given Ewers an easy play action pass.

McVay and the Rams did the same thing Sark did yesterday and it cost them the gave. Thankfully it didn't cost us one.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, fellside said:

I don't think the issue is the direction we ran the ball.  The issue is running the exact same toss play we ran on a previous 3rd down earlier in the game but running it against a loaded box that gave the play zero chance of working pre snap.

He was scared of Quinn losing the game and basically said as much about the 4rh quarter red zone play calling in the post game press conference.  I might actually be fine with that. But he could have given Ewers an easy play action pass.

McVay and the Rams did the same thing Sark did yesterday and it cost them the gave. Thankfully it didn't cost us one.

Well he had Quinn throw against the loaded box last week. It failed miserably. And tons of people on here are claiming he gave the OSU game away by not sticking with the run. This time he did stick with the run.

I agree that we need to be able to throw over the loaded box, but if we have tried it and we can't do that...maybe running stubbornly is better. I don't know.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

The defense has been fine. They’d look much better if our offense could sustain any drives in the second half of games and score more than 3-7 points. 

No, it really hasn't been fine.  The second part is true.

I'm not sure the Sark quotes really mean that's his defensive philosophy, I think he's more parroting PK.  And probably parroting PK after getting up in his moustache about tighter coverage consistent with his PC comments a couple weeks back.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, it really hasn't been fine.  The second part is true.

I'm not sure the Sark quotes really mean that's his defensive philosophy, I think he's more parroting PK.  And probably parroting PK after getting up in his moustache about tighter coverage consistent with his PC comments a couple weeks back.

Is getting up in his mustache some sort of gay sex thing?

NTTAWWT

3 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

The defense has been fine. They’d look much better if our offense could sustain any drives in the second half of games and score more than 3-7 points. 

The defense is terrible. If they were like 50-60th in pass defense and 3rd/4th down conversions instead of 100+ we could be a top 10 team. 

12 minutes ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Why can’t we just all agree that KSU’s alignment and the game context meant the play was doomed rather than argue about which direction we ran it? We ran it to the right side earlier in the game for a decent little gain, too. 

I think we were fine with that. Run clock and punt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

More bend but don't break bullshit. Hey Sark if they score two field goals in the second half they will out score your second half offensive output.

If you were watching the press conference you should have been aware that Sark was talking about the offense with this statement. His statement was that if our offense kicks a field goal rather than scoring a touchdown the the defense wins. I agree with that.  What about you?

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

If you were watching the press conference you should have been aware that Sark was talking about the offense with this statement. His statement was that if our offense kicks a field goal rather than scoring a touchdown the the defense wins. I agree with that.  What about you?

I agree with it too and it is the main objective of the bend but don't break defenses. It is the fact the Sark is ok with bend but don't break concept that I am objecting too. I want him to get us a defense that destroys the will of the other team to keep going and those only come when the philosophy is aggressive and not sit back and then tighten up at the end when they are about to score a TD.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

I agree with it too and it is the main objective of the bend but don't break defenses. It is the fact the Sark is ok with bend but don't break concept that I am objecting too. I want him to get us a defense that destroys the will of the other team to keep going and those only come when the philosophy is aggressive and not sit back and then tighten up at the end when they are about to score a TD.

Huh???? This is the press conference thread.  Sark literally was not commenting about the Texas defense in the statement that apparently got you all riled up. He was talking about the Texas offense and wanting to score TD's not FG's.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I wasn’t as bothered by the run play at the end of the game. I was bothered by the fact the run went to the short side of the field. Sark has a tendency to run to the short side. Bijan is an excellent cut back runner why limit the cut back by going to the short side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Huh???? This is the press conference thread.  Sark literally was not commenting about the Texas defense in the statement that apparently got you all riled up. He was talking about the Texas offense and wanting to score TD's not FG's.  

CJ deleted the tweet

He said defense in his tweet and that is why I was riled up.

Sarkisian says the defense wins anytime a red zone trip results in a field goal, rather than touchdown.

— CJ Vogel (@CJVogel_TFB) November 7, 2022

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

CJ deleted the tweet

He said defense in his tweet and that is why I was riled up.

Sarkisian says the defense wins anytime a red zone trip results in a field goal, rather than touchdown.

— CJ Vogel (@CJVogel_TFB) November 7, 2022

I think the quote was right but he didn't add context.  He was talking about the opposing team's defense.  He was saying he doesn't care about Red Zone scoring percentage.  He cares about Red Zone TD percentage. Because if Texas gets into the RZ and has to kick a FG that's a loss in his opinion

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Putting aside the fact that the entire premise of your post was wrong regarding Sark's statement. Our defense's problem isn't that it is a "bend don't break" defense. It is that our linebackers are bad at zone defense, absolutely terrible at man coverage, and our safeties rarely help erase plays. We don't play soft. We play undisciplined and inexperienced in our coverages. Our defense isn't designed to give up wide open throws 15+ yards downfield on 3rd and long. It isn't soft defense. It is poorly executed defense. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Putting aside the fact that the entire premise of your post was wrong regarding Sark's statement. Our defense's problem isn't that it is a "bend don't break" defense. It is that our linebackers are bad at zone defense, absolutely terrible at man coverage, and our safeties rarely help erase plays. We don't play soft. We play undisciplined and inexperienced in our coverages. Our defense isn't designed to give up wide open throws 15+ yards downfield on 3rd and long. It isn't soft defense. It is poorly executed defense. 

I did say that our defense was bad due to bend but don't break. I said I hate that Sark embraces the philosophy.

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I did say that our defense was bad due to bend but don't break. I said I hate that Sark embraces the philosophy.

Sark's first choice at DC was Muschamp. Do you think he calls a bend but don't break defense? Regardless we don't really run that kind of defense now. Your whole argument is stupid.

Edited by SarkAfterDark
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Sark's first choice at DC was Muschamp. Do you think he calls a bend but don't break defense? Regardless we don't really run that kind of defense now. Your whole argument is stupid.

Please enlighten me what do we run? I am basing my understanding on quotes from PK and how he summarizes his defenses. Bend but don't break was I introduced to me by Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wanndstet. The article does not call it that but they did on TV interviews so it works. I hate it because in my view you have to be a damn good coach to make it work.

https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19930128-1993-01-28-9301280154-story.html

Edited by DanTheHorn

16 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

He doesn’t when he’s had a year or two to get the personnel right.  If the personnel ain’t right you can stick to what you believe in or cobble something together to try to maximize the current talent on the roster.  I think we did the former last year and are doing the later this year.

17 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Please enlighten me what do we run? I am basing my understanding on quotes from PK and how he summarizes his defenses 

Our goal is to stuff the run, inflict negative plays, and keep passing plays in front of our defenders/eliminate big plays. We struggle on the first and 3rd elements. But it isn't a soft defense by design. When it works, it works well. We just don't execute. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jettrink said:

If we play bend but don't break against TCwho, they break our collective dick off and shove it up our collective ass

TCU's calling card is farting around 75% of the time and getting bailed out by explosive plays. If we ran a good bend-don't-break defense on them, it actually might work really well.

I have limited faith.

• Hook 'Em 3