Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Keyonte George is ridiculous though 

The last 2 games are exactly how Texas should play George. Let him get his (points wise) because he's inefficient. Let him jack 15 to 20 shots a game and turn the ball over. 

32 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Tech makes it 4 in a row. Normally being excited about a road win over a 3-11 conference team would seem silly but...

Tech is a completely different team with Aimaq. They would easily be a tournament team if he was healthy all year. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The last 2 games are exactly how Texas should play George. Let him get his (points wise) because he's inefficient. Let him jack 15 to 20 shots a game and turn the ball over. 

Tech is a completely different team with Aimaq. They would easily be a tournament team if he was healthy all year. 

Yeah not having Aimaq for like the first 2/3 of the season was kind of a downer. It's part his contribution and part some of the younger guys learning how to be college basketball players. Jaylon Tyson has been balling out as well.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Tech is an upset over KU away from being a tournament team now. They are likely to win their other 2 games.

If Tech wins 2 of the remaining 3, they are very likely "in." Winning at the Phog would certainly be huge, but they have actually played well enough down the stretch that they cannot be ignored by the committee, and it's hardly limited to being tough at home.

It would be pretty surreal for Terry to be ( justifiably) named Big XII CotY...and not be retained.

Chess/checkers/ Joneses/ all that other shit.

Edited by slorch

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

It would be pretty surreal for Terry to be ( justifiably) named Big XII CotY...and not be retained.

Meh. Did a great job with a senior roster built by Beard. No evidence he’s a program builder, which you need. Most of the roster is gone next year 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JWinTX said:

I believe that both teams finishing 2-1, with KU’s loss being in Austin, would make us the 1 seed. As that would mean we swept Baylor or TCU while KU split with both.

Think so. You start going down the standings and a sweep over either would give us the 1 seed 

4 hours ago, slorch said:

The million dollar question...how deep into the NCAA's does he have to go to get the job?  Sweet 16? Elite Eight?

How does UT justify not retaining a CotY, who helped guide the ship through some horribly turbulent waters, and got his team to the Sweet 16?  

Edited by Uncle Nate

11 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

The million dollar question...how deep into the NCAA's does he have to go to get the job?  Sweet 16? Elite Eight?

How does UT justify not retaining a CotY, who helped guide the ship through some horribly turbulent waters, and got his team to the Sweet 16?  

No chance Terry is getting the job with a Sweet 16 appearance. This has been a top 10 team all year because it’s loaded with experience and college level talent. 

A final 4 and maybe there’s a discussion. 

Not flashy enough.

Might be too much substance.

LO-fucking L.  Self-perpetuating nonsense.  "We're by-God Texas-  we don't just look a gift horse in the mouth, we summarily execute it."

Hint: the cash is the draw.  Y'all has it.  Players will come.  Then you have a corch who wants to be there and to whom the players respond.   But fuck all that...

Edited by slorch

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Strong chance for 7 teams from B12 in NCAA Tournament -- a lot has to go right to get 8 teams in...

The Big 12 should easily get 7 and it’s probably justified for 8 dependent on how Tech finishes the season.

The PAC 12 and ACC are fucking awful. The SEC is mediocre but at least not as terrible as the PAC12 and ACC. Then the Big East is extremely top heavy.

The Big 12 and Big 10 should get a lot of teams in because somebody has to make the tournament. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No chance Terry is getting the job with a Sweet 16 appearance. This has been a top 10 team all year because it’s loaded with experience and college level talent. 

A final 4 and maybe there’s a discussion. 

Really?  Elite Eight even wouldn't cut it?  

Be prepared for the racism allegations if he gets CoY and EE and still doesn't get the job after all that has happened this year.  

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

Really?  Elite Eight even wouldn't cut it?  

Be prepared for the racism allegations if he gets CoY and EE and still doesn't get the job after all that has happened this year.  

I just think it’s really unlikely CDC hires somebody like Terry. Texas has been winning Directors Cups because CDC has been making huge/flashy hires. 

Terry is not the type coach that Del Conte has a history of hiring. It’s going to take a deep run in the tournament. 

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

Not flashy enough.

Might be too much substance.

LO-fucking L.  Self-perpetuating nonsense.  "We're by-God Texas-  we don't just look a gift horse in the mouth, we summarily execute it."

Hint: the cash is the draw.  Y'all has it.  Players will come.  Then you have a corch who wants to be there and to whom the players respond.   But fuck all that...

Where was this substance at his other head coaching jobs?

15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Tech is an upset over KU away from being a tournament team now. They are likely to win their other 2 games.

If they can beat TCU, they'll probably get the seventh bid. They can lose to KU, and the March 5 game v. OSU will get them in easy. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, the school that hired Charlie Strong and Shaka Smart to lead its two biggest programs has racist hiring policies.

Don't worry guys, Tech fans really have our best interests in mind.

I have yet to hear any of them cheerleading for hiring Rodney if they parted ways with Adams. I wonder why. 

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, the school that hired Charlie Strong and Shaka Smart to lead its two biggest programs has racist hiring policies.

I'm not saying it is legit, I'm saying be prepared for the allegations.

Black coach gets CoY and Elite Eight and isn't retained?  You don't think the media talking heads won't have an absolute field day with that?  I can hear Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless already.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Don't worry guys, Tech fans really have our best interests in mind.

I have yet to hear any of them cheerleading for hiring Rodney if they parted ways with Adams. I wonder why. 

I'm not advocating one way or the other.  Asking the question what would it take for him to get the job, and then responding to the answers.  I honestly couldn't care less who you all hire because after next year it doesn't affect my team except for a possible matchup in the NCAA's down the road.

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I, for one, think we should emulate Tech and hope to squeak into the NCAAs next year by keeping Terry. 

You say that as if it would be a trend breaker for UT.

Someone earlier cited roster churn as an indicator of coaching prowess.  Do some homework on the Tech squad and who they lost from last season.  Then add in the injury to Aimac, some general learning by new folks to the program and there you have it.  make fun of Maud all you want, and I certainly have too, but he's hardly the case study for fucking up/ failure of a program.

Tech sets the bar for UT basketball now?   Of course it does.  Now if you can just start clearing it.  You might already have the answer and can't wait to hit the eject button.

Edited by slorch

17 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I'm not saying it is legit, I'm saying be prepared for the allegations.

Oh no, people might be mean to University of Texas!  Whatever will we do?

Black coach gets CoY and Elite Eight and isn't retained?  You don't think the media talking heads won't have an absolute field day with that?  I can hear Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless already.

Personally, I advocate any hiring policy that will get those two twats twittering (which is "all hiring policies").

Who gives a flying fuck what the media says?  Modern media exists to generate clicks and controversy.  It's all irrelevant.

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

You say that as if it would be a trend breaker for UT.

Seeding history for Texas in the past 20 NCAA tournaments:

2022 - 6, 2021 - 3, 2020 - n/a, 2019 - DNQ, 2018 - 10, 2017 - DNQ, 2016 - 6, 2015 - 11, 2014 - 7, 2013 - DNQ, 2012 - 11, 2011 - 4, 2010 - 8, 2009 - 7, 2008 - 2, 2007 - 4, 2006 - 2, 2005 - 8, 2004 - 3, 2003 - 1 

In the past 19 tournaments, Texas didn't qualify for the tournament 3 times and was a double digit seed 3 more times.  The other 13 times they quite comfortably qualified for the tournament.  So I'm not sure what trend you are talking about.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

2022 - 6, 2021 - 3, 2020 - n/a, 2019 - DNQ, 2018 - 10, 2017 - DNQ, 2016 - 6, 2015 - 11, 2014 - 7, 2013 - DNQ, 2012 - 11, 2011 - 4, 2010 - 8, 2009 - 7, 2008 - 2, 2007 - 4, 2006 - 2, 2005 - 8, 2004 - 3, 2003 - 1 

In the past 19 tournaments, Texas didn't qualify for the tournament 3 times and was a double digit seed 3 more times.  The other 13 times they quite comfortably qualified for the tournament.  So I'm not sure what trend you are talking about.

Since 1989, we have only missed the tournament in 1993, 1998, 2013, 2017 and 2019 (no tournament in 2020).  17 times we won at least 1 game. 7 times we made the Sweet 16.  4 Elite 8s and 1 Final Four. So 12 times, we advanced past the second round. 

Texas Tech - same time frame, just 11 tournament appearances. 7 times they won 1 game. 5 Sweet 16, 2 Elite 8 and 1 Final Four.

Big talk from Tech bros who somehow think "barely making the tournament" is in our DNA.  Texas fans will easily acknowledge making the tournament isn't a problem - making the god damn 2nd weekend is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Now do the wins in the past 10 years.

or just celebrate high seeds...

I'm not making fun of the past, I'm just a bit surprised that Terry's automatically a no-go for some UT fans, regardless of results.  Outcome be -damned, we want some sizzle!!!

Edited by slorch