Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

What a phenomenal Saturday of Big 12 basketball:

-Top 10 match up of last two national champions fighting for first.

-Top 20 Farmageddon to keep slimming title hopes alive

-Red River

-TCU at full strength vs the hottest team in the league 

-Tech and WVU fighting for the bubble 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What a phenomenal Saturday of Big 12 basketball:

-Top 10 match up of last two national champions fighting for first.

-Top 20 Farmageddon to keep slimming title hopes alive

-Red River

-TCU at full strength vs the hottest team in the league 

-Tech and WVU fighting for the bubble 

KU -5

KSU -3

Texas -10.5

TCU -7

WV -6.5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Oh yay its December again and we're terrible. I'm gonna try not to overreact, on the road against a team with their star back desperately trying to get back on track, but damn, we haven't looked this inept since early January.

100 points?!?

Back to the corner for the Pokes 

15 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Keyonte George is what one and done players should look like. Wish we had landed him.

For some reason we dropped what looked like a certain commit from him and started chasing after Cason Wallace late in the process when we literally had no chance of getting him. If we were going to prioritize anyone late in the process other than George it should've been Anthony Black. I'm not quite sure why we seemingly never went after him aggressively. Before he blew up in basketball and looked to be 4 star WR he was a Texas lean. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Rage+1 2

17 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

For some reason we dropped what looked like a certain commit from him and started chasing after Cason Wallace late in the process when we literally had no chance of getting him. If we were going to prioritize anyone late in the process other than George it should've been Anthony Black. I'm not quite sure why we seemingly never went after him aggressively. Before he blew up in basketball and looked to be 4 star WR he was a Texas lean. 

We didn't prioritize Black enough, he wanted to be guaranteed a big role, IIRC. Baylor was hot on the trail and did whatever they did to land George when it seemed like we were gonna get both he and Morris.

43 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Keyonte George is what one and done players should look like. Wish we had landed him.

Yeah and he still looks like a FR. He's -15 today because he jacks shots, turns the ball over, and doesn't play defense. 

Baylor is good for 1 or 2 more losses primarily because of the way he plays. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I feel like we get slaughtered in Waco. We don’t have the ability to guard all of their guards (who does?).

Have hope that we can compete in ft worth if we can guard miles like we guarded sherfield today. 

The key is limiting Flagler and Cryer. 

Keyonte George is hit or miss like he was in Austin. 5/18 with 3 turnovers. He's really inefficient and at times plays out of control. I would let Keyonte George jack shots the entire night because he's more than willing to do it. 

This fucking league. OU takes UT to overtime, TCU who we beat not too long ago absolutely crushes us today, and now KU makes a massive run after looking to be down for the count. Tech has beaten three straight ranked teams at home. We need at least one more win to be comfortably in the tournament, and as much as I want to say we can get at least one against WVU and Tech, who the fuck knows. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This isn't surprising. TCU is an elite 8 team with Miles and a bad team without him. 

Just be glad you got to be able to play 1 game against TCU without MIles. 

He didn't do much in the first half and they still dominated us for a 20 point lead at half. He came alive in the second but it was too late anyway. They are definitely much better with him, glad we were able to get the first though.

20 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah and he still looks like a FR. He's -15 today because he jacks shots, turns the ball over, and doesn't play defense. 

Baylor is good for 1 or 2 more losses primarily because of the way he plays. 

I could live with a freshman scoring 20 @Phog Allen compared with the production we have been getting from our 5 stars. 

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I could live with a freshman scoring 20 @Phog Allen compared with the production we have been getting from our 5 stars. 

George is talented as hell but today went as expected with him. 

A team worse -16 in 29 minutes because he turns the ball over, takes terrible shots, and doesn't play any defense. I would definitely take his scoring but I also wouldn't want him playing anywhere close to 30 minutes a game either. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Big XII tournament is gonna mean something to Tech for the first time in a long time.

If by some miracle Maude’s Marauders make it to March, aint nobody gonna be glad to see them in their side of the bracket. 

Chances are mighty slim, but oh what fun it’d be. 

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

This fucking league. OU takes UT to overtime, TCU who we beat not too long ago absolutely crushes us today, and now KU makes a massive run after looking to be down for the count. Tech has beaten three straight ranked teams at home. We need at least one more win to be comfortably in the tournament, and as much as I want to say we can get at least one against WVU and Tech, who the fuck knows. 

Top to bottom, this might be the best the league has ever been. Maybe no national championship winner like in previous years, but every team is capable of beating the country's best. Don't think any other league can boast that.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Next year’s league season should be interesting- assuming no more home and home with every team so unbalanced schedules. 

Yeah I am really going to miss the balanced schedule. This year might be the last time in program history we play in a league with a balanced schedule.

I’ve seen this movie before…KU takes first by themselves or with someone, then we watch ISU go all in at Hilton South and win the Big 12 Tournament…and then when everyone calls them a Final Four dark horse, they’ll get beat by some midmajor in the 1st round.

Edited by JWinTX

Tech is playing with some desperation, having won 5 of their last 7.  If they win 2 more (plus probably a win in the Big 12 tourney), they have a real shot at making the tournament.

They play TCU and Okie State at home, both winnable games. And get OU and KU on the road. There is a reasonable chance that they go 3/5.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Tech is playing with some desperation, having won 5 of their last 7.  If they win 2 more (plus probably a win in the Big 12 tourney), they have a real shot at making the tournament.

They play TCU and Okie State at home, both winnable games. And get OU and KU on the road. There is a reasonable chance that they go 3/5.

I'd say we would need to get to 7 conference wins plus at least one in the Big 12 tourney.