USMNT 2023

ztejas

This was my view on Roldan earlier this tournament after he missed that sitter against Trinidad and Tobago:

On 7/3/2023 at 11:07 AM, Captain Ron said:

What bottles the mind is that at his age, he isn’t going to the next World Cup. So he’s basically there for one thing: winning this tournament. Given the chance to score a goal, he flubs it.

That just tells me he isn’t doing what he was brought in for. So he’s wasting a roster spot. 

And lookie tonight, the game on the line and Roldan blows it.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:29 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Lulz at Berhalter reportedly describing Roldan as "his ace in the hole."

He's in a hole all right.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we get what we deserve when we bring players that no other country would select for a full international tournament

It's not like Panama's squad is a murderer's row. They've got a couple MLSers and one guy in Liga MX, but after that it's a bunch of dudes playing in the Venezuelan and Peruvian league and shit like that. Feels like our C team should be able to handle that.

(Full disclosure, I didn't watch the game tonight)

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

It's not like Panama's squad is a murderer's row. They've got a couple MLSers and one guy in Liga MX, but after that it's a bunch of dudes playing in the Venezuelan and Peruvian league and shit like that. Feels like our C team should be able to handle that.

(Full disclosure, I didn't watch the game tonight)

Never doubt a Gergg infused team’s ability to completely perplex you 

8 minutes ago, Chico_SA said:

Well shit. I’m behind. But there is no question that Miazga is a piece of shit bitch and I hope I never see him playing in meaningful games. Hate that douche

He won’t. 
After Nations League this was gonna happen. Fuck it at least I don’t have to waste Sofi ticket money @kingkoopa6 I’m crashing the baby shower now though 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It was a nice little run. Turner and Ferreira were amazing. We saw some flashes from guys like Sands, Vasquez, Cowell, Reynolds.

At the end of the day we didn't have a head coach and were giving a bunch of shitty midfielders minutes as well as Long and an obviously completely out of form Robinson. 

The Roldan and Morris shit I don't get. I'd rather see Diego Luna and one of the other wingers/attackers from that U20 squad. 

We aren't going to consistently win this when we send our C team. It was sort of amazing that we won it with the group that we sent last time around. 

This game definitely hammered it home for me that we're still better off with Gergg on the sidelines than one of his underqualified assistants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Holy shit bring an Edgar Moreno tweet in here haha. Now I’ve seen it all. That dude is a bitch of the highest order. I love this place, he is also a complete bitch who has ran his mouth at the wrong times to the wrong people here in “Frisco” and has gotten his ass kicked for it. 

even worse than that tactical manager douche. Did none of you morons watch Nations League? Did you expect Pulisic and the crew to be here for Gold Cup? This was a depth squad for good reason. 

Edited by Zepol87

39 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Holy shit bring an Edgar Moreno tweet in here haha. Now I’ve seen it all. That dude is a bitch of the highest order. I love this place, he is also a complete bitch who has ran his mouth at the wrong times to the wrong people here in “Frisco” and has gotten his ass kicked for it. 

even worse than that tactical manager douche. Did none of you morons watch Nations League? Did you expect Pulisic and the crew to be here for Gold Cup? This was a depth squad for good reason. 

If was a shitty depth squad.   Almost as if….a shitty national team manager who was re-signed about 4 weeks ago flexed his perineum just enough that the choke was forthcoming.    I hate the USSF, but I love our team.   This wasn’t our team.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chico_SA said:

Well shit. I’m behind. But there is no question that Miazga is a piece of shit bitch and I hope I never see him playing in meaningful games. Hate that douche

I'll never hate Miazga. Sure he never developed since he signed with Chelsea (happens all the time), but this is worth so much more than that and will live forever:

Matt Miazga Slow GIF - Matt Miazga Slow Short - Discover ...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

If was a shitty depth squad.   Almost as if….a shitty national team manager who was re-signed about 4 weeks ago flexed his perineum just enough that the choke was forthcoming.    I hate the USSF, but I love our team.   This wasn’t our team.  

This isn’t true sorry. Playing 2 dumb international  tournaments was never gonna work. This was NIT, US won the NCAA. 
EPL front running bullshit has fucked up y’all’s minds

Edited by Zepol87

Another listless performance and the loss that we deserved last game.  Cowell was not near the spark as a starter, as he was off the bench. So maybe fresh legs were a lot of that prior spark.  Still like Ferreira in that he take the shot at the first touch possible.  Like I said in a prior post that is why true strikers should endlessly practice half and full volleys, as those are often the only touches a striker may get near the goal.

Anyhow disappointing to see the continual lack of urgency, especially when you so often see a quick equalizing goal, after falling behind.  To me that shows the general lack of intensity.  I will give them a little break on the back to back overtime games, but hell that's why you fucking come out with intensity! So you don't have to play 120 minutes listlessly to face penalty kicks.  Crap effort.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

This game definitely hammered it home for me that we're still better off with Gergg on the sidelines than one of his underqualified assistants. 

That's debatable.  

In any event, the USSF/Greggg couldn't decide whether to use this tournament to bleed in promising youngsters or give yet more opportunities to gregggg's favorites to justify future call-ups to the real team.  Fortunately, his favorites almost universally demonstrated that their international careers should be over.  Beyond that, we didn't learn much that will positively contribute to the USMNT other than that Jesus and Vazquez could have a role provided they move to Europe and Sands and Jones (although he is already 26) could find themselves deep on the DM and FB depth chart, respectively.  Neal and Cowell have a lot of developing to do but they have promise.  On the negative side, Mihailovic, Zendejas and Miles Robinson were disappointing.  I now have Miles competing with Erik Palmer-Brown for the 7th CB spot behind Richards, Ream, CCV, McKenzie, Trusty and Zimmerman.  Mihailovic is going to need to tear it up at AZ to get back in the squad given the limited B/C squads going forward.  Zendejas simply isn't good enough.        

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, alincoln said:

That's debatable.  

I thought we looked pretty poorly coached last night. Especially along the back line. 

Gerg gets it wrong plenty but the defense is usually fairly well organized under him. 

11 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

i'd love to hear what the "good reason" is.

if this was some random year with the world cup being played in china then who cares. but to waste yet another opportunity, after 20 years of wasting opportunities, and rolling with a C squad, not even making the finals (US tied with Jamaica 1-1, shitass Mexico just beat Jamaica 3-0)

you have the opportunity to truly vaporize mexico, win another trophy (even if it it isn't major, it still would get play nationally) and build more momentum for 2026

so again, what was the "good reason" to roll with this roster and this lineup?

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

if this was some random year with the world cup being played in china then who cares. but to waste yet another opportunity, after 20 years of wasting opportunities, and rolling with a C squad, not even making the finals (US tied with Jamaica 1-1, shitass Mexico just beat Jamaica 3-0)

you have the opportunity to truly vaporize mexico, win another trophy (even if it it isn't major, it still would get play nationally) and build more momentum for 2026

This was basically the best roster we could have called up. None of our A guys are going to play two tournaments back to back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

Did you think you were gonna get the same roster as Nations League? No and it showed, waste another opportunity? This was the NIT and yea cool if USA wins but holy fuck that was gonna tough with this roster. Also lol at vaporize Mexico no way you believe that dumb shit, and no one will remember this come 2026

Edited by Zepol87

We could have easily swapped at least 1/3 of this roster for younger players who did not make the Nations League roster.  The bottom line is that we played Berhalter ball in this tournament with Berhalter's favorites and generally looked like shit against opposition with more than 1 million in population.  Going forward, we will have to win in spite of our manager and his staff.  It's a ridiculous situation.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Did you think you were gonna get the same roster as Nations League? No and it showed, waste another opportunity? This was the NIT and yea cool if USA wins but holy fuck that was gonna tough with this roster. Also lol at vaporize Mexico no way you believe that dumb shit, and no one will remember this come 2026

not asking for the A guys. but this was far from the A team pretty much across the board. how many of these guys should even be anywhere close to the 2026 roster?

vaporize mexico? they just beat them 3-0 less than 30 days ago with the A team. yeah, smoke them again. they are probably the worst they have been situation wise in how many years? no, really. this isn't complex. do you not think it would make a difference?

THIS was the best they could call up? lol ok. fine.

i didn't expect the A team. but is this even the best team they could call up based on US players playing in MLS? if so...fuck. (but it isn't and you know that)

the momentum has nothing to do with the players or the team. it has nothing to do with the people who watched the last world cup. it has nothing to do with people who follow the team on twitter or post here. it has everything to do with the people who have watched very little to no soccer. who don't really understand the differences between any of the cups and all they know is that the USMNT won X gold medals during the last 4 years.

if it matters so fucking little to the USSF, to GGG, to the players, to people who care about soccer and everything else why did the US even enter? why even play the games?

fuck off with the "it doesn't matter, no one cares, none of this matters, none of this means anything at all ever" stance.

Y'all know the pool better than I do, but looking at the roster, only GK seems like a real waste. Sean Johnson is not going to factor in 2026. Turner will, but we already know what he brings to the table. Slonina didn't play, which doesn't make sense to me.

Otherwise, the only guys that will be 30 or over in 2026 are Long, Yedlin, Gressel, Morris, Roldan, and Miazga. Long and Miazga are CBs, who seem like they stick around a little longer into their 30s.

So out of 20 outfield players, you really just have 4 who had no business being there: Yedlin, Gressel, Morris, and Roldan. Interestingly, those 4 were all 2nd half (or extra time) subs last night. I think those guys were probably just there for veteran presence and as late subs to ice games.

I would have been fine with Miazga and Yedlin for veteran presence.  That is all that was needed though.  We brought another 4 of those guys - Long, Roldan, Morris, and Gressel that honestly we need to move past.  Sean Johnson lol.  Like the guy; but that was one of the worst lineup mistakes I’ve ever seen n the event Gaga gets loose due to lack of PT.  Unlikely, but let’s not leave any doubt.   

I agree with whoever said bring some more kids from the U-20 team behind Cowell to fill those spots.  

11 hours ago, horn4life said:

Another listless performance and the loss that we deserved last game.  Cowell was not near the spark as a starter, as he was off the bench. So maybe fresh legs were a lot of that prior spark.  Still like Ferreira in that he take the shot at the first touch possible.  Like I said in a prior post that is why true strikers should endlessly practice half and full volleys, as those are often the only touches a striker may get near the goal.

Anyhow disappointing to see the continual lack of urgency, especially when you so often see a quick equalizing goal, after falling behind.  To me that shows the general lack of intensity.  I will give them a little break on the back to back overtime games, but hell that's why you fucking come out with intensity! So you don't have to play 120 minutes listlessly to face penalty kicks.  Crap effort.

monday morning QB:

the problem was we were outcoached

panama went full sam in direct sun with the intent to play for kicks

the right formation was out there at the beginning - but yesterday it should have been phased in from minute 60 to minute 75 so we could step on the gas

yes we all would have bitched about not seeing ANY of the right front 4 starting but in hindsight it would have worked and that's why the pros get paid

everyone saw what happened in the last 20 minutes against jamaica

that should have been the starting lineup from that moment forward, with the exception of last night when it should have been phased in from 60 to 75

16 hours ago, alincoln said:

That's debatable.  

In any event, the USSF/Greggg couldn't decide whether to use this tournament to bleed in promising youngsters or give yet more opportunities to gregggg's favorites to justify future call-ups to the real team.  Fortunately, his favorites almost universally demonstrated that their international careers should be over.  Beyond that, we didn't learn much that will positively contribute to the USMNT other than that Jesus and Vazquez could have a role provided they move to Europe and Sands and Jones (although he is already 26) could find themselves deep on the DM and FB depth chart, respectively.  Neal and Cowell have a lot of developing to do but they have promise.  On the negative side, Mihailovic, Zendejas and Miles Robinson were disappointing.  I now have Miles competing with Erik Palmer-Brown for the 7th CB spot behind Richards, Ream, CCV, McKenzie, Trusty and Zimmerman.  Mihailovic is going to need to tear it up at AZ to get back in the squad given the limited B/C squads going forward.  Zendejas simply isn't good enough.        

agree on everything except mihailovic; in the meaningful full-speed stretch against jamaica he showed he could deliver supply with the right 3 in front of him

i really thought we had found the magic combo in those 20 minutes, and we all bitched for it in the next 3 games, and when we got it we couldn't use it due to the opponent out-coaching us

we fell for the banana in the tailpipe

would love to see mihailovic in a real game against an A-squad opponent that cares, to wit:

------------ folarin ------------

cp ------------------------weah

start reyna, sub mihailovic on 45'

give him 15 minutes with those 3

then we will know

5 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Herc and I on the same tip

DTF on U23

Olympics has 3 permitted (over 23) exemptions so you use those callups for an orocopa on speculative euros under 27ish that we don't know anything about, and there are plenty, e.g. Auston Trusty who should have been kept around for the orocopa, given his grand total of 11 regulation minutes in the nations league final.

It seems he is going to make his actual gunners debut against Nurnberg in a friendly on Saturday.  Fine.

Get your shit together, US press and US fed, and be on top of this shit so we don't have to question why on loan he earned Birmingham's player of the year as a left back, but is not sticking around for the orocopa.

24 hours ago Ipswich came in for him too.  But now he has a real shot at arteta's squad and everyone up in here will be watching goonerball this season if he makes it

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/fixtures-results/auston-trusty-arsenal-vs-nurnberg-27315480

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Ummm...

Herc said "Napoleon was right when he was saying this shit back in June!"

And yes, I'm still right.

sort of...

we should have brought the U-20 squad on top of their mundial, and added vazquez, ferreira, mihailovic....  (narrator: cowell was on the u-20 squad so he's already in tow)

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Herc and I on the same tip

I was thinking of saying something different, but it would not have been nearly as good as this.

What bottles my mind is that for a confederation that is trying to build up a team, they sometimes do a really poor job of building the team. When you look a this from the perspective of not just the top squad, but also the U23 teams down, there is a lot to build/do that can work for the betterment of both the youth teams as well as the NT as a whole.

I think we got lucky in 2021* with a similar team and the they federation thought they could do it again in 2023.  Oops. Now all we did was identify a bunch of guys that aren't ready for prime time and didn't give our U-23 squad some work.

* I went back to look at the Gold Cup 2021 - SUPER LUCKY. We won every game but one 1-0. Even Haiti was in those 1-0 wins!! The KO round, we needed goals at 83' (QF Jamaica), 86' (SF Qatar) and 117' (F Mexico) to win. I get that it is a testament to our defense, but that's also living on the edge.

• Hook 'Em 3

It's easier to understand the USSF's decisions when you recognize that the USSF views the USMNT as a tool to prop up MLS.  The FOX broadcast team (Donovan and Lalas primarily) is instructed to use its pulpit to justify USSF's decisions to the casuals.  Berhalter got the job again because he is more than willing to implement this strategy. 

MLS is ok for players in their teens but anyone with USMNT aspirations should be looking to move to Europe ASAP.  The salary cap/structure, lack of relegation and meaningful cup qualification (CL, Europa) and overexpansion limits competition for playing time, renders the games meaningless and results in abysmal defending.     

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'd hate to interrupt the bitchfest but here's Balogun's Arsenal debut (featuring some awful music).

Ooohh. So close. It would have been nice to have scored.

I wonder if there is really any chance that he stays with Arsenal or if they are looking to sell no matter what. The possibility of going on loan and not coming close to last year’s goal total is very real, so I can’t see Arsenal willing to loan him out.

I would think that Arsenal is either going to Keep or Sell. [full stop]