Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Ricciardo never wants to go back to McLaren F1 level of driving style detail
AlphaTauri Formula 1 driver Daniel Ricciardo says he never wants to get bogged down into the level of detail on his driving style than during his troubled stint at McLaren.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricciardo-never-wants-to-go-back-to-mclaren-f1-level-of-driving-style-detail/10507758/

His efforts to change his driving style at McLaren made him "unrecognisable" on his Red Bull simulator return according to team boss Christian Horner, with Ricciardo having to rebuild his confidence in subsequent runs and a convincing Silverstone tyre test.

When asked if Ricciardo had to dig as deep as he did at McLaren to get up to speed in the AlphaTauri, Ricciardo replied: "I don't want to get into that detail ever again.

"I think even through year one at McLaren, at the summer break I learned we were probably going into too much. We needed to change the approach a little bit.

"It was all in everyone's best interests trying to make it work but I felt like I've come to the realisation that wasn't working for me. We still probably did too much in hindsight, but maybe that works for another driver, so it is what it is."

Ricciardo said he was able to use his natural driving style upon his return to the Faenza squad and found the AlphaTauri to be better suited to him, even if the car is lacking aerodynamic load compared to most of its competitors.

"I felt a little bit more of it. On lap one I already felt like I was getting kind of the feedback that maybe I would expect or like, so that was important," Ricciardo replied when asked by Motorsport.com about how the AlphaTauri AT04 compares to his old McLaren.

"Maybe I'll find things that I've just got to work on that don't quite correlate to my feeling, so I expect still some maybe challenges along the way.

"But the first impression was that it did give me a little bit more of a familiar feeling. That was also important because I was hoping to feel something like that."

LOL

Hulkenberg: Holding F1's no-podium record actually speaks for my F1 skills

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/hulkenberg-holding-f1s-no-podium-record-actually-speaks-for-my-f1-skills/10507860/

Hulkenberg has started 193 F1 races – not including the 2013 Melbourne, 2015 Spa and 2020 Silverstone races he failed to start – with a best result of fourth.

He achieved that result three times for what was then called Force India and Sauber between 2012 and 2016, but had several other podium near misses.

These include his crash with Lewis Hamilton after leading much of the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix and the slow second pitstop that meant he missed out on a likely third in the 2016 Monaco GP.

The driver with the next highest race total without an F1 podium is Adrian Sutil, with 128 starts.

it isn't like he has 8 more starts than the second guy. he literally has 33% more races with no podiums than the second place guy.

his "close calls" were seven years ago

if there wasn't a team really happy to be at the back and have a consistent driver instead of getting better (Haas) he still wouldn't have a seat.

is he skilled? sure.

is there much of a reason that any team would take the 35 year old driver over the 24 year old driver in almost any other scenario other than this one? nope.

Sutil can't even sniff his jock though. Hulk is much better than his lack of podiums (podia?) would indicate. If you don't have the car, you won't get the results. He's been at Williams, Force India, Renault, reserve at AM, and now Haas. In the middle of all that he won Le Mans on his only try. Now he's come back to F1 after 2 years out and was quick right out of the box in testing. He's pretty much destrying KMag. He's beating KMag on points (but they don't score many), & crushing him in qualifying 9 to 3, averaging 5 positions better than him. Put it this way, in the 2 years he was out of F1, he was far better than several guys on the grid.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seriously, I cannot wait to get back to watching Max win every race by 30 seconds! 

i mean at this point there have been how many actual WDC "races" have there been going back to like 2008? looks like 5 out of the last 15 full years (soon to be 5 out of 16)

the interesting thing about F1 for the last decade+ has always been everyone else but the winner, right?

image.thumb.png.62e5ea74222c3a2b75b05574dff1152a.png

On 8/10/2023 at 9:03 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

So since it's the offseason, I watched a 10 minute highlight replay of the 1984 Grand Prix in Dallas. Holy shit, the sport has come a long way. What a shitshow.

For one, they were just setup under tents in the pits. Second, they ran it on July 9, 1984 when it was 100 degrees. The track was literally coming apart when they put last-minute in patches in corners. Nigel Mansell's car stopped just before the finish line and he started to push it over the line and collapsed. Cars would die and they literally just parked them on the side of the track and kept the race going. Shit was wild. 

First F1 race I attended...here's a couple of my pictures from the race

Oops, having technical difficulties

Edited by Tyrone Krivacs
  • Like 1

I think there's a full replay of that Dallas Grand Prix on Youtube, or at least there was for a long time.  I have several friends who've recently jumped into F1 fandom either as a result of Austin hosting the USGP, or getting into DtS.  Either way, after they've become accustomed to modern F1, I always insist they watch that race in its entirety. And it never fails to completely overwhelm them, it is just so magnificently ridiculous in every way.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:30 AM, kevwun said:

Last weekend without a race, praise Jebus.

no f1 no indycar no imsa no wec no elms have to go all the way down to gt world challenge america at road america for racing this weekend.  race 1 at 3:10 tomorrow and race 2 at 2:15 sunday.  also gt world challenge asia with race 1 at 10:30 tonight and race 2 at 9:20 tomorrrow

Edited by elfenix
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/19/2023 at 3:01 AM, wood said:

Heh.

i don't get how he constantly says shit that makes him unlikable to anyone who has followed a sport at all in the last decade

edit: evidently he literally has said it.

image.png.3b093efdb5e7b4940d7fb6f9befcd9bb.png

just what a huge asshole.

Edited by NoName

3 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I don't think his comments are in conflict with Mercedes' past performance. It seems like he wants more 2012, less 2016 and 2023. 

yeah, he was so interested in more competitive teams and seasons that he spoke out about it a ton all the time during the last decade he was with Mercedes, right? he is well known for speaking out about how F1 should be very evenly balanced year in and year out?

Mercedes won the WCC by 20+% 6 of the last 9? seasons.

exactly one season of his time with MB the WCC went down to the final race.

• Like 1

yeah, he was so interested in more competitive teams and seasons that he spoke out about it a ton all the time during the last decade he was with Mercedes, right? he is well known for speaking out about how F1 should be very evenly balanced year in and year out?

Mercedes won the WCC by 20+% 6 of the last 9? seasons.
exactly one season of his time with MB the WCC went down to the final race.

He is literally known for saying that, yes.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-wants-mercedes-rivals-to-catch-up/450805/

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a1862721/lewis-hamilton-wants-more-competition-2015-f1-title-fight/

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.pace-setter-hamilton-wants-closer-field-in-2018.3QeNNoazIQGe20Mw2m0K2A.html

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.hamilton-wants-harder-championship-fight-from-leclerc-and-verstappen.4W1r348nkSd5kdqqj2wkN.html

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/11938586/f1-2020-lewis-hamilton-feels-at-his-best-and-wants-closer-title-battle
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

16 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

well then ok, thanks for bringing the receipts - literally.

not being an asshole, appreciate it.

• Like 3

Lewis did say those things back then, and I believe him, but there is imho an important distinction between what he was saying then while dominating and what he's saying now while chasing the dominant car. Saying things like "I hope Red Bull or Ferrari catches up, because I would like some competition", or "The closer it is the better it is when you win", or "I want to race against a lot of different people", or "A battle against _______ would be really cool" ... isn't quite the same as saying that 'teams shouldn't have the chance to dominate for years'.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well, because he wants close racing.

The full quote, which the tweet editorialized, is:

“If we continue like this, maybe Ferrari will dominate in the next few years, or maybe McLaren will, or maybe Mercedes will get back in front, but I think this is not the best thing for the fans. We shouldn't have the chance to dominate for a large number of years, the battle for the top positions should be closer. Unfortunately, however, Red Bull could seriously dominate even in the next three seasons ".

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Well, because he wants close racing.

The full quote, which the tweet editorialized, is:

“If we continue like this, maybe Ferrari will dominate in the next few years, or maybe McLaren will, or maybe Mercedes will get back in front, but I think this is not the best thing for the fans. We shouldn't have the chance to dominate for a large number of years, the battle for the top positions should be closer. Unfortunately, however, Red Bull could seriously dominate even in the next three seasons ".

I believe he wants close racing ... but back then he was saying he hoped the other guys could catch up. He wasn't saying Merc shouldn't have the chance to do what they were doing. Now he's saying the other guys shouldn't have the chance to dominate for such a long stretch (even though it's only the 2nd year of RBR domination).

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

You can not like Lewis, he's clearly polarizing, but it still feels kinda nit picky to be annoyed by this particular quote given his history.

Pick on his clothes, no one is going to stop you there.

It doesn't annoy me. It's just interesting. If it had annoyed me, I probably woulda said something about it 2 days ago when I posed that, or when I saw other similar quotes a week or two ago. To say there's a subtle (but rather obvious) difference between 'I hope someone can catch up to us and give us a fight' and 'Teams shouldn't able to be so dominant' isn't nitpicking. In the middle of Merc's dominant run, he was definitely not saying the latter (as well he shouldn't).

Re: His history, his history is precisely the reason many people find it to be an odd thing for him to say. 

36 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Not a Lewis fan, got it. 

I mean ... the two sentiments pretty much directly contradict one another. In the previous case, he wanted other teams to catch up, not for his team to slow down for them. He wasn't saying Merc shouldn't be able to dominate for a long time the way they did (and rightly so). But now that RBR is dominant, he says teams shouldn't be able to do that. Why does it have to be about who I'm a fan of? BTW I actually am a fan of some aspects of what Lewis brings, and not so much of some other things. Pretty much like with almost any athlete.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, wood said:

I mean ... the two sentiments pretty much directly contradict one another. In the previous case, he wanted other teams to catch up, not for his team to slow down for them. He wasn't saying Merc shouldn't be able to dominate for a long time the way they did (and rightly so). But now that RBR is dominant, he says teams shouldn't be able to do that. Why does it have to be about who I'm a fan of? BTW I actually am a fan of some aspects of what Lewis brings, and not so much of some other things. Pretty much like with almost any athlete.

You're really parsing words, dude.  We all know you don't like Lewis.  Just own it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You're really parsing words, dude.  We all know you don't like Lewis.  Just own it.

How is that 'parsing words'? They're directly contradictory sentiments. I'm not a huge fan of Lewis, but it's not like I hate the guy, and I'm 100% giving him credit for saying the right thing when Merc were dominating. But what he's saying now is not the same thing. Not by a long shot. I could be overly-simplistic and just say you're only saying what you're saying because you're a big Lewis fan, but that would just be lazy. Maybe you could tell me how saying those two things is saying the same thing rather than just saying "You don't like Lewis". 

Edited by wood

3 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

It's not saying the same thing but the difference, in my opinion, is miniscule. 

Miniscule? C'mon, man. Back then he was saying he wished other teams would catch up when he was way out in front in a rocketship (which, btw, is easy to say when you have huge advantage that you know nobody will claw back anytime soon). Now he's saying you shouldn't be able to make a rocketship that's way out in front with a huge advantage. 

Edited by wood

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Miniscule? C'mon, man. Back then he was saying he wished other teams would catch up when he was way out in front in a rocketship. Now he's saying you shouldn't be able to make a rocketship that's way out in front. 

Sorry man, I still don't see the big difference that's worth all these words. He wants tight(er) competition in both scenarios and that's ultimately the main takeaway. And I think that's something we all want.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Sorry man, I still don't see the big difference that's worth all these words. He wants tight(er) competition in both scenarios and that's ultimately the main takeaway. And I think that's something we all want.

But he previously wanted tighter comp from the slower cars picking up the pace behind him, which he knew was unlikely to happen for years in any meaningful way. He didn't want the dominant car slowed. Now that he's chasing the leader, his comments seem to indicate that he wants the dominant car slowed. This isn't that hard to see if you try. If he was really all about tightening up the field, why not just slow down in his dominant Merc? Of course he's not ever gonna do that, nor should he. We all heard ad nauseum when Merc was dominant that the other teams just needed to 'step up' and 'do a better job'. Now they all need to do the same and catch Red Bull.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, dieucla98 said:

I might be putting words in other people's mouths but no one is saying they don't see the difference. The rest of us, I assume, are just contending it's not that big of a difference for all this kerfuffle.

Clearly you don't agree. That's cool, too. 

How can the opposite be not that big of a difference? Nobody's given any rationale for that at all.  I can just imagine the reaction some of y'all would have had if Max had said the same thing in the middle of Merc's dominance.

4 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

As long as it doesn't result in homogenous cars across the board, I'm going to agree with anyone advocating for tighter competition, regardless of their garage or if their name is Max.

But whether we agree with him now or then isn't what we're talking about. He's saying two distinctly different things in the two situations, but people (not just Anton tbf. lots of people) are justifying what he's saying now with what he said then, as if they're the same. They aren't remotely the same. He wasn't advocating back then for the dominant team to be slowed. If he had, it would have been stupid.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
27 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:
As long as it doesn't result in homogenous cars across the board, I'm going to agree with anyone advocating for tighter competition, regardless of their garage or if their name is Max.

And Max is not advocating for tighter anything FWIW.

Nor should he. Why should he?  If he did, he'd be stupid to do so. And I don't remember him advocating for a dominant Merc to be slowed either. The only reason Lewis is saying what he's saying now is because Merc is way behind and can't money-whip everything the way they used to.

Edited by wood

Nor should he. Why should he?  If he did, he'd be stupid to do so. And I don't remember him advocating for a dominant Merc to be slowed either. The only reason Lewis is saying what he's saying now is because Merc is way behind.
Lewis has been saying it for years. Documented. Max is not saying the same now that he's the one mushroom stamping the competition.

You just don't like Lewis. That's ok, just own it.