Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

14 minutes ago, wood said:

True, but what I've always heard is that it's when the car is bad that you'll typically see the biggest differences between teammates. I think Stroll's true level, at least in terms of pace, is somewhere between what we're seeing this year and what he's shown in the past vs Vettel. I also think maybe that wrist hurt him more than he's letting on and really hurt him in terms of missing time in testing. He's known for being fairly quick in the wet, but that hasn't shown up at all this year. I've been wondering if that's related to the wrist.

Historically that is definitely the case. It seems this year though that better drivers are getting more out of better cars for whatever reason. Red Bull the most obvious example.

I tend to agree on Stroll too. Mostly I think it's several minor things adding up to a big gap.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, kevwun said:

Sainz was robbed after the race near his hotel in Milan.  A thief took his $500K watch, but a group of onlookers were able to run him down and he was arrested.

oh man thats good news. i only saw the headline that he was robbed after the race at the hotel

18 hours ago, kevwun said:

Sainz was robbed after the race near his hotel in Milan.  A thief took his $500K watch, but a group of onlookers were able to run him down and he was arrested.

Well, when your car's livery literally advertises half million dollar watches....but agreed, why try that in Milan of all places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

It sounds like he hadn't changed from the track yet and was still wearing all Ferrari stuff.  So everyone there probably knew who he was.  Not a well thought out crime.

Most criminals tend to be really, really stupid.  Same as it ever was.

So all those very certain rumors were just more BS. Shocking.

FIA reveals all 10 F1 teams met 2022 cost cap https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fia-reveals-all-10-f1-teams-met-2022-cost-cap/10516548/

And there's this:

Andretti Autosport rebrands entire operation to Andretti Global https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/andretti-autosport-rebrands-operation-to-global/10516702/

Andretti tease ‘big things in store’ after rebrand announcement https://www.planetf1.com/news/andretti-rebrand-tease-big-things/

1 hour ago, wood said:

So all those very certain rumors were just more BS. Shocking.

FIA reveals all 10 F1 teams met 2022 cost cap https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fia-reveals-all-10-f1-teams-met-2022-cost-cap/10516548/

spacer.png

1 hour ago, wood said:

Andretti Autosport rebrands entire operation to Andretti Global https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/andretti-autosport-rebrands-operation-to-global/10516702/

Andretti tease ‘big things in store’ after rebrand announcement https://www.planetf1.com/news/andretti-rebrand-tease-big-things/

We all laugh at Guenther because "fook smash my door" is funny, but can HAAS just sell up already?  At this point, he's likely due to make a substantial ROI. And we might finally get an American team that (likely, hopefully) knows what the fuck it is doing and will be competitive.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

We all laugh at Guenther because "fook smash my door" is funny, but can HAAS just sell up already?  At this point, he's likely due to make a substantial ROI. And we might finally get an American team that (likely, hopefully) knows what the fuck it is doing and will be competitive.

Yeah Guenther is a dipshit.

He,  the other team principals (esp Honer & the Torger), and Domenicali have been screaming for months now that new teams need to show and prove that they'll increase F1's value - yet they refuse to explain what that added value should be. Steiner said it again the other day and when asked, said he has no clue what that actually means. I'm still waiting for one of these so-called F1 'journalists' to ask Steiner or anyone from Williams, Alpha Tauri, etc to quantify exactly what tangible value they bring to F1. Would they pass the same test to get into F1 right now according to their own nebulous, vague financial standards that are clearly artificial hurdles specifically imagined for the sole purpose of keeping new entrants out?

And yep, the F1 grid gets an instant, massive upgrade the second Haas sells to Andretti.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah Guenther is a dipshit.

He,  the other team principals (esp Honer & the Torger), and Domenicali have been screaming for months now that new teams need to show and prove that they'll increase F1's value - yet they refuse to explain what that added value should be. Steiner said it again the other day and when asked, said he has no clue what that actually means. I'm still waiting for one of these so-called F1 'journalists' to ask Steiner or anyone from Williams, Alpha Tauri, etc to quantify exactly what tangible value they bring to F1. Would they pass the same test to get into F1 right now according to their own nebulous, vague financial standards that are clearly artificial hurdles specifically imagined for the sole purpose of keeping new entrants out?

And yep, the F1 grid gets an instant, massive upgrade the second Haas sells to Andretti.

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Marko: "Checo has fluctuations because he’s South American and his head isn’t as focused as Max or Sebastian"

streamin.one/v/d181ed64

Reprehensible racial/ethnic insult considerations aside, if I had a dollar for every time someone said Mexico is in South or Central America, I'd be rich lol. Geography is apparently very difficult.

Edited by wood
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Marko: "Checo has fluctuations because he’s South American and his head isn’t as focused as Max or Sebastian"

streamin.one/v/d181ed64

Reprehensible racial/ethnic insult considerations aside, if I had a dollar for every time someone said Mexico is in South or Central America, I'd be rich lol. Geography is apparently very difficult.

Well, and then there's all the gringos that think Colombians and Venezuelans and Argentinians are all from Mexico...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wood said:

streamin.one/v/d181ed64

Lol. I came to the sport in the Ferrari/AM Seb era. Marko just forgetting those years?

Ferrari disaster as Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc collide at  Brazilian Grand Prix | F1 | Sport | Express.co.uk

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

17 hours ago, wood said:

streamin.one/v/d181ed64

casablanca-shocked.gif

F1 eyes 2025 rules tweak to combat 50% drop in key aero metric https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-eyes-2025-rules-tweak-to-combat-50-drop-in-key-aero-metric-/10517669/

F1 targets 50kg weight reduction as part of 2026 rules revamp https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-targets-50kg-weight-reduction-as-part-of-2026-rules-revamp/10517789/

Lighter cars? Yes, yes, yes. And then lighten them some more.

Some want standard floors. That would be a massive step and too much imho, esp in a formula that relies so much on the bottom of the car for downforce. I'm all for clawing back to the proper 2022 regs though. They never should have been softened in the first place.

Re: the weight reduction, 50kg isn't much, but at least it's a start. If they make the cars lighter then they should be able to make them smaller as well, as they wouldn't need such huge aero surfaces to create enough downforce to make these heavy-ass cars stick to the road.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I like it better than that stupid double-sided chicane.

Yeah, exit of T14 will be more important now. But I do like the normal T16. IIRC that was always a place with some conflict and mistakes. It'd probably be cool if they straight-lined 18-21 instead.

Edited by wood

So, on lap 26, Fernando will hit 100,000 km of racing laps in F1. That's just nuts. 

13 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

757df64e6b1450d92e0b4a44883a5476.jpg
FP1 getting ready to start. I’m 4 $20 margaritas in. It was 61c (142F) on the track during the Porsche practices.

Enjoy! Yet another on the list of races I really wanna do. Looks like an awesome place to visit.