Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

If there were a prototypical office of a mad scientist, that office is it.

Yeah so this artist gave that helmet a chrome wrap and a light in the visor. Wonder what he got paid for that. Looking for a new gig.

Meanwhile, back at the factory, Merc F1 R&D tests some new upgrades ...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

What they should do is to dump the RBR junior team so a group looking to field a competitive team can gain admission to F1.  There should not be "junior" teams on an F1 grid.  That's what the other series are for.

i thought that would be an easy way for a team to jump in - for RBR to sell AT, a team buy it and then become a customer team for RBR. RBR helps fill 1 seat from their junior program and go from there without having to build your whole team from scratch.

side note, the fact that a junior team has these finishes while there are teams "trying to win" is funny. Haas has finished in 8th/9th/10th every year of their existence other than 2018 (5th, at least in part due to the whole force india thing who beat Sauber, Toro Rosso, Williams in 9 races alone lol)

• 22: 9th
  • 21: 6th
  • 20: 7th
  • 19: 6th
  • 18: 9th
  • 17: 7th
  • 16: 7th
  • 15: 7th
  • 14: 7th

they purchased it before i was into RBR but does F1/FIA/whoever have to approve company sales? like could they have blocked Williams Racing's purchase by Dorilton Capital?

i'm assuming they wouldn't be ok if MB purchased a second team NOW but was it a big deal when it happened?

Edited by NoName

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

I'd be happy to see Haas sold to a team that can afford more than three seats on pit row.

I laughed, but yeah. Got damn. That team is an embarrassment ... which imho is yet another reason the other teams are happy to keep them around and try to deny Andretti entry. They like the 'American team' being a joke.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, wood said:

FIA to reject three applications for new F1 teams https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-to-reject-three-applications-for-new-f1-teams/10523782/

The FIA is expected to reject applications from three of the four prospective new Formula 1 teams, with Andretti Global's effort understood to be the sole remaining bidder.

Either they really think the money get diluted to an unacceptable level, or they are concerned Andretti might actually have his shit together and field a competitive team. 

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

What they should do is to dump the RBR junior team so a group looking to field a competitive team can gain admission to F1.  There should not be "junior" teams on an F1 grid.  That's what the other series are for.

42 minutes ago, wood said:

I laughed, but yeah. Got damn. That team is an embarrassment ... which imho is yet another reason the other teams are happy to keep them around and try to deny Andretti entry. They like the 'American team' being a joke.

Both of these.  Alpha Tauri and Haas consistently finishing at the bottom of the WCC is "diluting the product" FAR more than an Andretti team would.

7 hours ago, Dutch said:

Sucks the link won't embed because FOM gonna FOM, but that new onboard camera view is pretty sweet. Suzuka must be a flippin awesome track to drive.

it's been pretty great.  that camera was on carlos's front wing at zandvoort last year and it was fantastic with all the banking.  really would like to see that at indianapolis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Max absolutely dominates all 3 qualifying sessions. McLaren finishes second and third. 

He ran 4 laps total and 3 out of the 4 were the fastest.  He missed a sweep in Q2 by a tick mainly because the lap time indicator on his steering wheel wasn’t working.

• Hook 'Em 1

Christ

Just now, UTHornFan014 said:

The Q1 crash has to seal Sargeant's fate for next year, right? Can't imagine Williams doesn't make a change now

Saw someone say RBR wanted Lawson in the Williams? That's the easiest decision ever if you are Williams.

Idk how they keep Checo if Danny is even decent next year, they will dump that guy in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

This is why. Max is a monster, but come on. Seven tenths in the same car? Biggest gap on thr grid?

Yeah, no one hates Checo. He seems like a very likeable dude. But all the talk about the team purposely screwing him over and what not is a bit much. He's just not nearly as fast of a driver as Max. Probably the biggest disparity between teammates that doesn't involve Lance Stroll. Of course Max gets priority, and the cars tuned to match his driving style. If Checo doesn't like it, he needs to be [much] faster.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, no one hates Checo. He seems like a very likeable dude. But all the talk about the team purposely screwing him over and what not is a bit much. He's just not nearly as fast of a driver as Max. Probably the biggest disparity between teammates that doesn't involve Lance Stroll. Of course Max gets priority, and the cars tuned to match his driving style. If Checo doesn't like it, he needs to be [much] faster.

Checo struggled to out-qualify and outperform Stroll when they were on the same team. He’s fine as a midfield driver who can make his tires last, but he really has no business in a top car. 

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Speaking of Stroll...

• Hook 'Em 1

Paddock walk was really cool, didn’t get to see any drivers but saw a LOT of media folks and team principals. I wanted to get Ted’s attention and then immediately stop and say “two secs, Ted,” but thats childish and I’m sure everyone else does it.

Did get a nod and hello from Crofty as he walked out of Ferrari but I couldn’t snap a pic.

Question, is this Jennie Gow interviewing Horner?

ac937c4a2deefe15b64ab5fbce1d0f14.jpg

f8a7da220ae6574dcba88a2379040546.jpg
eb74118fdb5b8f3d052648a2a7b50f23.jpg
c36304d1dbf269913027501c6b665e14.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yep, and from what I can tell, it's the fundamental nature of the car, too. From what I've been reading, it's very 'on the nose' ... i.e. it's very well-planted on the front, turns in extremely well, and is prone much more to oversteer than understeer. So it needs someone who can handle that. Apparently most engineers would design as much of that into a car as they can get away with because it results in quicker cars, except that most drivers even in F1 don't like the car so 'pointy' or twitchy. It's not just Checo. You put most guys in that second seat and they'd struggle because of that. There are a handful of guys who don't mind a pointy front end, and from most accounts I'm reading, Max is the best at handling the oversteer it creates. So basically they have a car that's extremely quick at least in part because of how pointy it is, and they have the guy with the best ability to handle that, so they don't have to dial it out to compensate for the driver like they'd usually have to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Paddock walk was really cool, didn’t get to see any drivers but saw a LOT of media folks and team principals. I wanted to get Ted’s attention and then immediately stop and say “two secs, Ted,” but thats childish and I’m sure everyone else does it.

Did get a nod and hello from Crofty as he walked out of Ferrari but I couldn’t snap a pic.

Question, is this Jennie Gow interviewing Horner?

ac937c4a2deefe15b64ab5fbce1d0f14.jpg

f8a7da220ae6574dcba88a2379040546.jpg
eb74118fdb5b8f3d052648a2a7b50f23.jpg
c36304d1dbf269913027501c6b665e14.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I think maybe that's Mervi Kallio from Viaplay.

Re: Crofty, I've always thought he gets a raw deal, esp from the British fans. I realize he says some silly things, but I don't think people appreciate how difficult his job really is. Seems like a good guy, too.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, deft said:

A lot of talk about checo losing his drive at Red Bull but nothing is changing the fact that he’s still number 2 in wdc and by a decent margin.

Two words: Valterri Bottas.

If that's all that Red Bull wants--a very clear #2 who makes finishing 2nd in the WDC in, by far, the fastest car on the grid more competitive than it needs to be--then his seat is safe.

No shame in that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm not 100% sure, but I think maybe that's Mervi Kallio from Viaplay.
Re: Crofty, I've always thought he gets a raw deal, esp from the British fans. I realize he says some silly things, but I don't think people appreciate how difficult his job really is. Seems like a good guy, too.

Re: Crofty, he’s working his ass off from what I’ve seen, carrying a notebook and going from team room to team room.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Jeez, I completely forgot about Logan Sargent. Stroll at least stays close enough to the field to be annoyingly and dangerously bad. Logan has just been a complete afterthought all season, except when he causes a safety car.

Unless you get dinged up on the start and need to make an early pit stop, putting yourself in dead fucking last. Then, watch the F out; you're in Logan's wheelhouse.