World Cup Quarterfinals - Croatia/Brazil, Netherlands/Argentina, Morocco/Portugal, England/France

Captain Ron

538's model actually has England as a very slight favorite over France (52-48) and the SF b/w Portugal and France/England as a toss-up.  They have Brazil as a strong favorite to emerge from the other side and win it all.

I'm not sure why the Dutch aren't getting more respect.

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

538's model actually has England as a very slight favorite over France (52-48) and the SF b/w Portugal and France/England as a toss-up.  They have Brazil as a strong favorite to emerge from the other side and win it all.

Dutch definitely demand more respect.

England being a favorite over France, though?  I guess 538 doesn't factor in them being the Aggy of the fusbal world?  Choking under pressure is what they do.  And nobody is stopping Mbappe.  Dude is on another level.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Going to go with an upset. Brazil, Netherlands, Portugal, France

If I didn’t have a vested interest in Argentina, these most probably would be my picks.

9 hours ago, alincoln said:

It is be because the Dutch didn’t qualify in 2018 and because the Dutch stars aren’t stars. They either have failed at top levels (Dupay & Blind), their club has underperformed since they have returned from injury (Virgil), or they have yet to play for a big club. 

THAT is why they aren’t getting more respect. 

16 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Dutch, Brazil, Morocco (why not? Bring on the Moops). France vs England is the hard one. Going to call France just to piss off my English friends. 

Because they aren't playing a side that will be timid again. Portugal, so long as they have CR7 on the bench is a well oiled attacking side. I think they are going to probably win the game 4-0.

What's interesting is that Portugal just might be able to pull the upset against the France/England winner and make the final.

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Because they aren't playing a side that will be timid again. Portugal, so long as they have CR7 on the bench is a well oiled attacking side. I think they are going to probably win the game 4-0.

What's interesting is that Portugal just might be able to pull the upset against the France/England winner and make the final.

One can hope! And yes, Portugal looked great against the Swiss. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Yeah fuck my meetings this morning.  I’m going to have it on loud. 

Vamos la e vai tomar no cu Argentina!

23 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I wish I could cancel this one, but alas…

Vai tomar no cu Argentina com o pau morto do Maradona.

Demais?

14 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Nem um pouco demais.

Let the record show that the Brazil supporters are showing their class.

TRANSLATED from the 3 posts above:

“Let's go and fuck Argentina!”

“Go fuck Argentina with Maradona's dead dick.

Too much?”

“Not too much.”

—————————

🤯

Edited by Napoleon

I own my hatred of Argentina football.  The scheiss argies have always been assholes on the field.  

The country is fine, a clusterfuck of a place that makes Brazil look well governed but beautiful women and great food.  Even if they don’t know what a real churrasco looks like.

• Like 1

I don’t really have a team left in this tournament. I have a dear friend from Croatia, so I can root for them. I don’t hate Portugal, or France. I’ve had some really great fun in France. I’ve never been to North Africa, although I really like the movie Casablanca. The only team still alive in this tournament I will actively root against is England. 

23 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Damn. That was a red.

23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Man, that is really close to a straight red.  

That play is exactly why I would make the rule a foot contacting the head would be a straight red card. Does he mean for that to be dangerous? No, but it's dangerous and you want plays like that out of the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

That play is exactly why I would make the rule a foot contacting the head would be a straight red card. Does he mean for that to be dangerous? No, but it's dangerous and you want plays like that out of the game.

To play devil's advocate though, you dont want people looking for foot to head contact if the result would always be a red card. 

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Bingo. "I fired that gun into the crowd but didn't hit anyone so why am I being charged??"

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

To play devil's advocate though, you dont want people looking for foot to head contact if the result would always be a red card. 

You're out of your element Hornsby.

People won't be risking their lives to try to get their melons kicked in. You would have to go out of your way to make it happen.

I think I did leave out my rule would be a high boot - IE contact above the waist. So that does make it a little less incidental. You add that stipulation, you solve any issue with this rule.

• Hook 'Em 1