Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

kenpom has them finishing 22-9 (9-9). if that happens they’re in, and he’s a front runner for NCOY.

Bullshit.  Otz in Iowa State, McCasland at Tech and possibly even Sampson at UH would all be in front of Beard, easily this season.

Want to reward Beard in the SEC, whatever. There is no way he has had a bigger season than those three, and that's just limited to the Big XII and the National stage.  Beard doesn't get consideration because of what he's done in the past or what he might do in the future..

Edited by slorch

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

beard’s tourney history

I don’t think that’s a committee criteria for a bid/seeding but if it was, I can name about 6 coaches who should be bumped down several seed lines for their postseason results. Sounds like a bad way to punish a team. And on the flip side, sounds shitty that some deserving team would get bumped for a less deserving team bc “beard is good in the tournament” 

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i think that 22 total wins, 9 wins in the second toughest league in america, and beard’s tourney history get them in at that w/l.

Well that’s not a criteria.

If Mississippi can win a few in the SEC tournament, they will get it provided they don’t collapse down the stretch of the regular season. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

sounds shitty that some deserving team would get bumped for a less deserving team bc “beard is good in the tournament

i’m not saying that. i’m saying that if ole miss and another team are 50/50 in the eyes of the committee, you really think that they’ll just ignore who the coaches are? i don’t. besides which, 22-9 (9-9) should be enough to get in in the first place.

Edited by shadow_operative

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i’m not saying that. i’m saying that if ole miss and another team are 50/50 in the eyes of the committee, you really think that they’ll just ignore who the coaches are?

Yes.

30 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yes.

i don’t see how they could. even if the committee wasn’t sitting around the table going, “well ole miss has chris beard so that’s the tie breaker”, i don’t think there’s any way that everyone in the room could just take that factor and act like it doesn’t exist. if you’re parsing what separates two teams and one has a coach with no tourney experience and the other has one of the best tourney resumes out there, then imo there will be people in that room who can’t help but take that into account when making their decision.

Edited by shadow_operative

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i don’t see how they could. even if the committee wasn’t sitting around the table going, “well ole miss has chris beard so that’s the tie breaker”, i don’t think there’s any way that everyone in the room could just take that factor and act like it doesn’t exist. if you’re parsing what separates two teams and one has a coach with no tourney experience and the other has one of the best tourney resumes out there, then imo there will be people in that room who can’t help but take that into account when making their decision.

No because there are too many objective measures that they can go by before they select a subjective measure that they’d have to defend. 

Beard being the coach of Ole Miss isn't going to be a factor.  It is all going to come down to SEC record and their NET.  I think the coach might only matter if you have a history with the same team and then it might only be for a seed line bump. and Izzo lead MSU might get a 4 over a 5 if it made sense with other factors, for example.  Beard has no history of doing anything in the tourney with Ole Miss.

ESPN has an article about NET last 3 years.  higher than 38 has always gotten in.  38-55 has about a 50/50 shot.

19 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No because there are too many objective measures that they can go by before they select a subjective measure that they’d have to defend. 

It is entirely too subjective. What if they dropped a very good and deserving Tennessee from a 2 to a 3 or 4 bc “Barnes’ tournament history is pretty meh”

On 2/17/2024 at 12:25 AM, shadow_operative said:

same. if ever they were going to live up to expectations this should be the team. if painter goes home early with this team, what do you even do with him at that point? 

Welp... Painter is starting early, this year.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah but you can almost spell NIT with Rodney Terry.

If he misses the tournament, he has to change his name to Rodni Terry

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

You, like Hookem2147, are also trying too hard.

It seems like Beard did all the hard work.  

It's going to be extra special round here when Marquette, Tennessee, and Miss St make the tourney and we don't.

22 minutes ago, petscii said:

It seems like Beard did all the hard work.  

It's going to be extra special round here when Marquette, Tennessee, and Miss St make the tourney and we don't.

Ole Miss is probably not getting in right now at a 68 NET. Clemson missed the tournament at 60 NET. Rutgers missed it at 40 NET. Weak non-conf schedules will get ya. Rutgers made it one year at 77 NET but they had 9 Q1/2 wins that year, including 3 on the road 

Ole Miss’ problem is going to be the nonconf ranking of 171 and only a 4-7 Q1/2 record and 15 Q3/4 opponents. By contrast, Texas has a worse nonconf (197), but 5-8 Q1/2 and only 13 Q3/4 record. Texas has 3 top tier road wins against Cincy, TCU and OU. Ole Miss has 1 decent road win (aggy). 

they’re the last team in right now and still play SC, Bama, Mizzou, aggy and Georgia. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ole Miss is probably not getting in right now at a 68 NET. Clemson missed the tournament at 60 NET. Rutgers missed it at 40 NET. Weak non-conf schedules will get ya. Rutgers made it one year at 77 NET but they had 9 Q1/2 wins that year, including 3 on the road 

Ole Miss’ problem is going to be the nonconf ranking of 171 and only a 4-7 Q1/2 record and 15 Q3/4 opponents. By contrast, Texas has a worse nonconf (197), but 5-8 Q1/2 and only 13 Q3/4 record. Texas has 3 top tier road wins against Cincy, TCU and OU. Ole Miss has 1 decent road win (aggy). 

they’re the last team in right now and still play SC, Bama, Mizzou, aggy and Georgia. 

As long as abe lemons still coaches marquette my point still stands...

Edited by petscii

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

yeah.  Ole Miss is out for now after losing to MSU.

last year was so great with them trying to pair us and a&m in round two. just classic the way aggies everywhere started talking big shit about what they were gonna do to Texas in round two, only for their team to get blown the fuck out by 10 seed penn state. then we go to the elite 8 with an interim coach and an injured best player. just classic.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/18/2024 at 4:58 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

He won’t be in Mississippi next season anyway. 

Been seeing this a lot. Where’s the rumored destination? Or are people just predicting another episode of his lady givin him too much lip?

On 2/25/2024 at 12:36 AM, shadow_operative said:

when the louisville job comes open a lot of people think they’ll go after beard, and that job should be opening this offseason. 

Louisville, Michigan and Indiana could all be open and come calling for Beard. Plus potential Cal or Self exits/retirements at some point 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

chris beard told his team this week that tonight’s game was for their tournament life. they know where they stand. even thinking about making the tournament as a goal for this season would have been absurd. that was never realistic for this team. this tweet acts like they’re dunking on beard and ole miss for their weak non-con schedule as if it’s coming back to haunt them now, when that schedule was exactly what that team needed. acting like this is news, or something to diss ole miss for is odd.

Ole Miss has lost 6 of their last 7 and their obituary for the tournament is being written by everyone. 

However, they close at Missouri, at Georgia and vs ATM. If there was ever a shitty SEC recipe for closing out and then begging a team into the tournament, this is it. Win 3 in a row and then beat one of these rubes again in the opening round of the SEC tournament and “how can you leave a team like this out?!”

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

chris beard told his team this week that tonight’s game was for their tournament life. they know where they stand. even thinking about making the tournament as a goal for this season would have been absurd. that was never realistic for this team. this tweet acts like they’re dunking on beard and ole miss for their weak non-con schedule as if it’s coming back to haunt them now, when that schedule was exactly what that team needed. acting like this is news, or something to diss ole miss for is odd.

Serious question, and apologies if you've answered this before, but do you think he should still be the coach at Texas? Because I don't see the point in defending him otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1