Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

LOL, you're the one who brought up the comparison.  So what happened year 4 and 5 at Tech again?  

Urban Meyer?  Yeah, maybe as far as being a dirtbag, but definitely not in results.  Urban has actually won a national title or two.  

Call your shot though..  When will Chris start winning at Ole Miss?

Man is using the two best coaches in modern football history to draw some weak ass conclusions about a woman beater. 

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Man is using the two best coaches in modern football history to draw some weak ass conclusions about a woman beater. 

Chris's last three full seasons, he's won 18,18, and 22.  Yes, your record isn't everything, but why does he get excuses and other's don't?

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Imagine if instead of hiring Chris Beard, UT would have hired Terry initially instead.  How would that have gone over here?  Terry did a great job holding things together but his 10 year run as a HC is much more informative of how things are gonna go now than his work with Beard's players for half a season.

Can I get some of you Nostradamus assholes to tell me the winning lottery numbers for the next drawing, please?  

Why are the 10 years at other schools more telling than what he has actually done at Texas? 

What will really tell us with how things are going to go is how they actually go.  Sometimes people learn and develop new skills, and become better at their jobs.  Sometimes a situation suits a person better than a previous one.  

And why are people talking about Terry in the Beard thread?  If you are going to continue to have pessimistic shitty takes, at least put them where they can be properly ridiculed.   

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I know where you're going, repped you, but Augie is considered by many as the Saban of college baseball.  RIP. 

I'm sad that Chris isn't here and also believe he is likely a kind dude who didn't have the heart or gumption to forcefully leave Randi.  And that was his demise.  But Saban?  Meyer?  Win a title first.  

That’s fair.  Meant more style than apples to apples…

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think RT can improve and I’m not saying he will be a for sure failure here, I’m saying those that believe he’s gonna kill it with zero evidence have to be called idiots just like anyone else that is saying he will for sure fail. Even those that believe he won’t be successful have more data to base their opinion than anyone saying he will succeed. 

RT was successful with another coaches roster. That’s a fact

RT was not successful as a Head Coach anywhere else that would even make him a candidate for the Texas job. Also a fact.

I am failing to see how the “Rodney is gonna destroy it here” crowd isn’t getting more push back? Oh I know because the herd of surly says this is the way we all should talk until it’s time to dislike him then you’re allowed to have a differing opinion. Got it. Get your facts outta here!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I think RT can improve and I’m not saying he will be a for sure failure here, I’m saying those that believe he’s gonna kill it with zero evidence have to be called idiots just like anyone else that is saying he will for sure fail. Even those that believe he won’t be successful have more data to base their opinion than anyone saying he will succeed. 

RT was successful with another coaches roster. That’s a fact

RT was not successful as a Head Coach anywhere else that would even make him a candidate for the Texas job. Also a fact.

I am failing to see how the “Rodney is gonna destroy it here” crowd isn’t getting more push back? Oh I know because the herd of surly says this is the way we all should talk until it’s time to dislike him then you’re allowed to have a differing opinion. Got it. Get your facts outta here!

I don't think there's a lot of people that actually think that.  But, push away.  You're saying he hasn't done it here, I'm saying he took over a volatile situation and lead us to our best post season in 15 years.  He's also been an integral part in our other years with Rick. Was he worthy before the run? No way.  But, he sort of did it and we're rooting for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so now Alabama football and Texas Tech basketball are equal to one another? lol ok. he took over at TTU who'd been garbage for forever and turned them into a program that suddenly/consistently makes deep tourney runs overnight. just like he took over at UALR and immediately won 30 games + a tourney game against a much higher seed. just like he took over at Texas and immediately led the team to more success than they'd had in a decade. are you picking up on the pattern here?

all the guy does is build programs and win. maybe he's not the nick saban of college hoops, but he's damn sure on the urban meyer track. scumbag or not, that dude builds highly competitive, winning programs, and he does so immediately. if you can't see how rare or special that is, then, again, you haven't been paying attention. 

It remains to be seen whether the post-felony-domestic-assault-arrest Beard has the same level of success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Anyone that thinks it takes a few seasons to turn around a program in college basketball is delusional. The portal has changed everything. You need 8 guys to win in basketball, not 45-50 like in football where you need two deep at each position. 

The portal has made it easier to compete but what really fueled this years madness were the absolute dogshit recruiting classes of the past few years. The talent disparity between the blue bloods and the rest just wasn't there this year and experience and coaching prevailed. Recruiting will likely take precedence again in the near future

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Who’s not rooting for him? Saying you have concerns doesn’t mean you aren’t rooting for him. So push away.

Who’s saying he’s the next coach K?

and there’s some evidence he could succeed.  It’s called post choke to Miami.  He did well.  With someone else’s players but he helped recruit quite a few of them

Edited by closetohumping

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Who’s saying he’s the next coach K?   

I have no idea but if you’re referencing derka then see ztejas posts about how he’s gonna get top 3 classes every year and gonna kill it. You saw more people pounce on derka for what he said than anyone saying what ztejas was saying as dumb. My point is if you have a differing opinion you get blasted by the herd. You can also blast anyone saying he’s gonna have top 3 classes every year moving forward. Based on what? What if next season we go 19-14. You think we’re getting a top 3 class? No. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

I have no idea but if you’re referencing derka then see ztejas posts about how he’s gonna get top 3 classes every year and gonna kill it. You saw more people pounce on derka for what he said than anyone saying what ztejas was saying as dumb. My point is if you have a differing opinion you get blasted by the herd. You can also blast anyone saying he’s gonna have top 3 classes every year moving forward. Based on what? What if next season we go 19-14. You think we’re getting a top 3 class? No. 

Derka compared Chris to Saban and Urban, but ok. 

Ztejas's comment may or may not be true.  I just think he's optimistic, yeah probably over the top but if you want me to pick a side, as Derka asked, I'll err on "we will recruit well and do great" vs "we just let Nick Saban go."   But EVERYBODY, including numb nutz Shaka, recruits well here.  It's Texas.  

2 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

Imagine if instead of hiring Chris Beard, UT would have hired Terry initially instead.  How would that have gone over here?  Terry did a great job holding things together but his 10 year run as a HC is much more informative of how things are gonna go now than his work with Beard's players for half a season.

Thanks for the contribution. No one's mentioned this point before. Certainly not repeatedly every day for months on end at this point!

21 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Derka compared Chris to Saban and Urban, but ok. 

Ztejas's comment may or may not be true.  I just think he's optimistic, yeah probably over the top but if you want me to pick a side, as Derka asked, I'll err on "we will recruit well and do great" vs "we just let Nick Saban go."   But EVERYBODY, including numb nutz Shaka, recruits well here.  It's Texas.  

I wasn’t sure who you’re referencing. My point is why can’t someone be on the caution side and voice facts on why they aren’t thrilled? And not being thrilled we ended up with RT doesn’t mean we hope he doesn’t win? It’s either be over the top optimistic or get hammered. 

Let’s see who he gets in the portal, which is more important for his immediate success than who he recruits from high school. My hope is Ron holland can actually contribute at a high level more than past 5 stars we have gotten. 

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I wasn’t sure who you’re referencing. My point is why can’t someone be on the caution side and voice facts on why they aren’t thrilled? And not being thrilled we ended up with RT doesn’t mean we hope he doesn’t win? It’s either be over the top optimistic or get hammered. 

Let’s see who he gets in the portal, which is more important for his immediate success than who he recruits from high school. My hope is Ron holland can actually contribute at a high level more than past 5 stars we have gotten. 

I think there’s reason to be skeptical and optimistic. I err on the ztejas side vs saying we will lose to Colgate.  

• Haha 1

It’s hard to say Beard was going to be here for 25 years and lead us to multiple national titles when he managed to get himself arrested and deservedly terminated within 18 months of assuming the job. Among all the possible outcomes considering his known personal traits coming in, what actually happened is probably on one side of the spectrum, and the 25 year potentiality is on the other. 

No question Chris Beard has a better track record as head coach than Rodney Terry to date. But going forward Chris Beard is unemployable at Texas, and Rodney Terry’s prior coaching stops (1) Weren’t at the caliber of job that Texas is (2) Did not have the benefit of the transfer portal, and (3) Were before Rodney Terry might have learned something from Chris Beard about how to construct and maintain a high level program. So as we sit here right now, I don’t see how you can conclude “he’s literally incapable of matching Chris Beard.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I know where you're going, repped you, but Augie is considered by many as the Saban of college baseball.  RIP. 

I'm sad that Chris isn't here and also believe he is likely a kind dude who didn't have the heart or gumption to forcefully leave Randi.  And that was his demise.  But Saban?  Meyer?  Win a title first.  

“Likely a kind dude”?

More likely than not a piece of shit woman beater.

You wanna come with a “we dont really know what happened”, thats fine. We dont really know. But kind dude? I didnt think he was a kind dude before the felony assault arrest.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

“Likely a kind dude”?

More likely than not a piece of shit woman beater.

You wanna come with a “we dont really know what happened”, thats fine. We dont really know. But kind dude? I didnt think he was a kind dude before the felony assault arrest.

I mean he kept a charity/basket case around for years?  

I don't know Chris Beard at all, like 99% of us.  Have heard he was quite the drinker and was thin skinned. 

I find the constant emphasis on "SOMEONE ELSE'S PLAYERS!!" tiresome.  Ignoring that by all accounts Rodney Terry has a history of strong recruiting, there hasn't been a coach in three-plus decades that has struggled to recruit to this program.  Shaka Smart was lighting bags of dog shit on fire on national TV and still snagging top-10 prospects.  (The argument is even wilder when you look at this roster and realize that that the o/u on players drafted would probably hover around 1.)

If the argument is that Rodney will only succeed if he has a talented roster, well 1) history shows that won't be a problem and 2) having the team perform at or above their talent level has been the biggest issue with our program back to the Barnes' days.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

One and dones from high schools will have less of an impact going forward. The more mature teams with juniors and seniors, either homegrown or recruited from the portal, will likely do better. While I am excited for our incoming class, being able to keep Disu, Morris, Hunter and filling the gaps from the portal are probably more important. Terry is assumed to be a good recruiter as an assistant, but that's easier when  your work for an elite HC. Let's see how he does on his own.

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Can I get some of you Nostradamus assholes to tell me the winning lottery numbers for the next drawing, please?  

Why are the 10 years at other schools more telling than what he has actually done at Texas? 

i mean, seriously?? you're really asking why his 10 year body of work as a D-1 HC means more than his 3 1/2 months as coach of chris beard's team that was a national title favorite when RT took over? what are you people smoking???

• Hook 'Em 2

i don't even understand what's so controversial about what i said. chris beard is an elite tier coach who was about to spend the next 2-3 decades at Texas winning at his customary elite level. rodney terry, as much as i love him, was nearing the verge of no longer being a head coach for anybody when took the job to be chris beard's assistant. 27 years as a D-1 coach, 10 years as HC, and he was infinitely closer to being fired by fresno state than he was to being a HC at a school/program that's better than fresno state. what is controversial about saying that beard is an elite coach and RT isn't anywhere near his level? what is controversial about being pissed that Beard screwed us? this is just typical fandom- people want to believe whatever will be best for them, facts be damned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I figure the better comparison for Beard is Bobby Petrino.

Beard at Texas was Urban Meyer when he'd just joined florida. a bona fide tier 1 coach and program builder (and apparently an undercover scumbag) who was arriving at the school with the resources to make his program a perennial national power. 

the same people here who insist on dismissing RT's 10 years as a HC are also strangely insistent on dismissing chris beard's HC history as well. "who cares that RT has never been even a particularly good HC, he's going to be awesome at Texas!" same people: "why do people think that beard was just automatically going to be great at Texas, that's speculation."

so RT being under .500 over a decade at two D-1 schools portends nothing, but chris beard being the best coach to ever coach at every school he's ever been to also portends nothing? how's that work?

i can name a million crappy coaches with similar records to RT as a HC. how many coaches can y'all name who were mentored by coaches like bobby knight and rick barnes, who went and won 30+ games at UALR in one year, including a tourney win (remember how hard those are to come by?), who then took over a program like TTU and instantly made it better than it ever had been, and who *then* went and got a job at a premier program like Texas, taking over a bombed out and depleted roster, and turning it into a national title contender after just ine season. how many coaches can you all name with a resume like that? y'all want to ignore reality and dismiss the facts. you want it to be one way; but it's the other way. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One and dones from high schools will have less of an impact going forward. The more mature teams with juniors and seniors, either homegrown or recruited from the portal, will likely do better. While I am excited for our incoming class, being able to keep Disu, Morris, Hunter and filling the gaps from the portal are probably more important. Terry is assumed to be a good recruiter as an assistant, but that's easier when  your work for an elite HC. Let's see how he does on his own.

One and dones might not exist anymore with the possibility the NBA starts drafting players from high school. With that being said, once the covid super seniors start thinning out, we’ll see things revert a bit back.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

One and dones might not exist anymore with the possibility the NBA starts drafting players from high school. With that being said, once the covid super seniors start thinning out, we’ll see things revert a bit back.

The new NBA CBA from this week didn’t make any changes to the draft age limits. Obviously they can still change whenever they want I imagine, but at the moment it seems like they are sticking with the current rules.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Most coaches that wind up at big time programs follow a similar path.  Not all those coaches are Saban/ Meyer equivalents.

not really. chris beard to this point is a coaching prodigy. name every coach you can think of with an equivalent resume by his age/HC experience level. it's an extremely short list. 

i put FAU in my S16 and i drafted them in every seeded draft i did. one of my core beliefs about mid major teams is that any team that wins 30 regular season games is LEGIT. i don't think most people here understand just what an incredible feat it was for Beard to win 30+ games in year one at UALR, including a tourney win. it's an incredible coaching feat, as is taking Texas Tech to OT of the national title game. CB is not your run of the mill good coach; the guy is on the very very short list of best coaches in america. eliminate coaches older than he is and there is no one better.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

not really. chris beard to this point is a coaching prodigy. name every coach you can think of with an equivalent resume by his age/HC experience level. it's an extremely short list. 

I didn’t realize age was one of the qualifiers. Any more goal posts you want to move?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

CB is not your run of the mill good coach; the guy is on the very very short list of best coaches in america. eliminate coaches older than he is and there is no one better.

There's two sports that matter at Texas. Football and basketball (mens). That's it. 

Beard was our answer, the most important hire in either sport in a long, long time. He was it. We all remember that first presser. But everything went to hell on Dec 12 when a giant fucking needle was inserted into our unbridled balloon of hope and optimism. If it didn't happen then, it was going to happen eventually. Unhinged, out-of-control women beaters are going to rear their heads, eventually. And maybe this was just the first time someone elected to dial those three #s. Who knows.

What happened sucks to this day. But it's a still just a game. And what Beard did was above and beyond that. 

Move on. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

how do you figure that factoring in his age is moving the goalposts? do you know what the word "prodigy" means?

You didn’t add ‘prodigy” until after the fact unless it was in one of your earlier posts.  But off the top of my head some great coaches that won big with similar career trajectories at the whipper snapper age of (checks notes) 50 years old… Calipari, Self, Nolan Richardson.  There’s also the likes of Tubby Smith and Jimmy V.

Basically find any big-time program that hired a coach before they were approximately 50 years old and there’s at least a decent chance they had a similar story as Beard.  I’m not arguing he isn’t a great coach.  I’m saying it’s way too early to put him in the Saban / Meyer category.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

There's two sports that matter at Texas. Football and basketball (mens). That's it. 

Beard was our answer, the most important hire in either sport in a long, long time. He was it. We all remember that first presser. But everything went to hell on Dec 12 when a giant fucking needle was inserted into our unbridled balloon of hope and optimism. If it didn't happen then, it was going to happen eventually. Unhinged, out-of-control women beaters are going to rear their heads, eventually. And maybe this was just the first time someone elected to dial those three #s. Who knows.

What happened sucks to this day. But it's a still just a game. And what Beard did was above and beyond that. 

Move on. 

i don't understand the concept, the idea that it's normal or natural for me to "just move on." i didn't just move on when we lost to TTU in 2008 because of GDGD and blake gideon, nor did i just move on when we were left out of the bcs that year; i didn't just move on when we were kicking Bama's ass only to lose colt mccoy and eventually the national title game; i didn't just move on when barnes torpedoed the team in 2009-2010; i did not just move on when a referee went rogue and sent a national title worthy team packing in the round of 32 in 2011; and i am absolutely not going to "just move on" after Texas built the foundation of a dynastic program, only to lose its most important piece only 18 months in. and frankly, you're in the wrong place my friend, if you've already "just moved on". 

Edited by shadow_operative

11 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You didn’t add ‘prodigy” until after the fact unless it was in one of your earlier posts.  

the post you quoted where you accused me of moving the goalposts by referencing his age was the exact post where i called him a prodigy.

Just now, MotownHorn said:

Was he actually all that more likeable though?

a)absolutely, and b)he's miles and miles ahead of tom herman as a coach. 

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't understand the concept, the idea that it's normal or magistral for me to "just move on." i didn't just move on when we lost to TTU in 2008 because of GDGD and blake gideon, nor did i just move on when we were left out of the bcs that year; i didn't just move on when we were kicking Bama's ass only to lose colt mccoy and eventually the national title game; i didn't just move on when barnes torpedoed the team in 2009-2010; i did not just move on when a referee went rogue and sent a national title worthy team packing in the round of 32 in 2011; and i am absolutely not going to "just move on" after Texas built the foundation of a dynastic program, only to lose its most important piece only 18 months in. and frankly, you're in the wrong place my friend, if you've already "just moved on". 

Man I feel bad for your exes 😉

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the post you quoted where you accused me of moving the goalposts by referencing his age was the exact post where i called him a prodigy.

I was just pointing out that age had not been one of the qualifications or even part of our discussion until I said plenty of coaches at big time programs have followed a similar path.  Hence the goalpost moving comment. That’s all.

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi