2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

On 8/23/2023 at 9:44 PM, TornACL said:

If you wrote an HBO series about a dysfunctional pro football franchise, and had the owner saying this, they'd throw you out if the writer's room.

Did you see ESPN's attempt at dramatic television? About as subtle as Oliver Stone.

spacer.png

Edited by Genco

I'm sure the 49ers would have loved for this guy to beat out Sam fucking Darnold for their backup spot, but he couldn't do it. Think about that for a second.

According to The Athletic, other teams were offering SF a 5th or 6th for him. I think the Cowboys just got enamored with the idea that they could get the #3 overall pick for a 4th rounder, regardless of whether or not they have any use for him.

8 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Tom Brady is gonna come busting through the Titantron the second Purdy breaks a nail

They should get James McAvoy

Bold and unpopular opinion here, but I really think Darnold may finally pan out and take that starting job at some point and perform pretty well. It's the first non-shitty situation he's been in. Purdy will either get jacked up again or will start to show his limitations once he's been around a bit. Darnold made it much easier to ditch Lance.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Haven't watched yet...   enjoy ??? 🙄

Trey Lance Preseason Week 2 Analysis

5 days ago

Bottom line, he's punchy AF and playing with scrubs that don't help his cause. 

Gonna be a project to build back up, but has tools to work with if he can get over the early punishment, which is a big IF.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Bottom line, he's punchy AF and playing with scrubs that don't help his cause. 

Gonna be a project to build back up, but has tools to work with if he can get over the early punishment, which is a big IF.

I finally watched it.  At times, Lance is a fucking disaster even with the scrubs around him.

He's barely played football over the last 3 years.  It's a shame he didn't stay in college another year because he's just not ready for the NFL right now.

Talk about a fuckin' project... sucks for that kid.  

• Like 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

I finally watched it.  At times, Lance is a fucking disaster even with the scrubs around him.

He's barely played football over the last 3 years.  It's a shame he didn't stay in college another year because he's just not ready for the NFL right now.

Talk about a fuckin' project... sucks for that kid.  

Pre-draft hype can be really bad for young players, and it's often inaccurate, driven by media more than qualified scouting opinions. It's a shame it has to be that way, but that's the world we live in. Lance was always going to take a little time, but NFL ain't got time for that. Too huge an investment. They draft too much on physical tools thinking the rest will come easy, but it rarely does. It's a huge transition from even a top program, far more for a smaller program.

The NFL doesn't develop high drafted qbs any more due to economics, and it ruins a lot of qbs that might have been good if they weren't thrown into the fire too soon. The Maholmes and Burrow types don't grow on trees, and are impossible to predict how soon a qb is going to grasp competent NFL IQ and instincts. You're almost better off being a mid round picked guy with some skill that has the luxury of less pressure, not being rushed, unless they surprise and exceed all early expectations. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DougO said:

The NFL doesn't develop high drafted qbs any more due to economics, and it ruins a lot of qbs that might have been good if they weren't thrown into the fire too soon. The Maholmes and Burrow types don't grow on trees, and are impossible to predict how soon a qb is going to grasp competent NFL IQ and instincts. You're almost better off being a mid round picked guy with some skill that has the luxury of less pressure, not being rushed, unless they surprise and exceed all early expectations. 

Yeah Aaron Rodgers probably benefited by sitting behind Favre for 3 years... his 1st MVP wasn't until his 7th year.

Screenshot_20230826-131448_kindlephoto-13125655.thumb.png.750f69f4d47adfcfd8143da433aff2b3.png

Screenshot_20230826-131847_kindlephoto-13364049.thumb.png.52ccf39fa777f98f87ee80ef45631d0b.png

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah Aaron Rodgers probably benefited by sitting behind Favre for 3 years... his 1st MVP wasn't until his 7th year.

Screenshot_20230826-131448_kindlephoto-13125655.thumb.png.750f69f4d47adfcfd8143da433aff2b3.png

Screenshot_20230826-131847_kindlephoto-13364049.thumb.png.52ccf39fa777f98f87ee80ef45631d0b.png

Remember how Favre wouldn't help train Rogers? What a terrible diva he was. I've never liked Rogers but if you can believe Hard Knocks, he is helping train the backup QB's at NY.  

I don’t have the Cowboys on my tv anywhere, but I got New Mexico State and umass. Streaming sucks. I’m blaming directv and their shitty streaming product. 

It’s the NFL. Blame them. You have to watch through their NFL+ subscription. It’s $6 a month.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I don’t have the Cowboys on my tv anywhere, but I got New Mexico State and umass. Streaming sucks. I’m blaming directv and their shitty streaming product. 

Streaming is the 2nd best thing ever invented after air conditioning if you know how to do it right

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Channel 54.1 using antenna in Austin area.

I think it's a "CW" affiliate

• Hook 'Em 1

Grier played well tonight, but different circumstances. Most of those guys were auditioning for someone else's practice squad or USFL or whatever. Maybe the Cowboys try to get Grier back on the PS, in case Lance turns out to be a total basket case, but he's not a young guy any more by NFL standards. He should have showed more in the first two games when there were more NFL players on the field.

Getting that long field goal at the end may have been the best thing to come out of the game, giving both the Cowboys and the kicker some confidence. Maybe they stick with him.

Lipshitz looked good, too. Don't know if he's on the bubble, but they sure wanted to see him play. He should have a spot on the roster unless they keep a shitload of TEs. May depend on how much he can do on special teams. He started looking like the guy they were hyping early in camp.

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I had high hopes for Leupke. He will go to PS unless his film tonight gets him put on someone else’s 53. They also have to get an o lineman to replace Ball; that 4 might have helped with that transaction.

Right, OL depth is still razor thin despite efforts in the draft and UDFAs they had high hopes for. The top reserve is probably their rookie 3rd round pick. Waletzko looks like the lumbering stiff I thought he was when they drafted him, the interior guys with some center possibilities don't seem to have progressed. They could use a few guys that can play. 

This is what Cowboys wire at USA Today projects for running backs on the 53, and I pretty much agree, not the sure about it part, but what I think should happen. Ronald Jones was a bad signing, even before the off-field issue. He flopped when he was needed to step up at Tampa and just wasn't a dawg. 

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-53-man-roster-projection-final-2023/

I’m sure he’s on the team:

Tony Pollard
Rico Dowdle
Deuce Vaughn
Hunter Luepke

Cut to go to practice squad:

Malik Davis

Cut cut:

Ronald Jones

Position Notes:

Luepke got the opportunity on Saturday and did everything with it. I doubt another club wants to put him on their 53-man roster so Dallas would be safe getting him to the practice squad, but they don’t take the chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d love that but Malik and lueptke go ps. They will carry 4 TEs instead and they have to carry fucking Lance instead of putting Grier on PS. Just not enough spots. 6 WRs. Too bad Dak or Martin or van der esch can’t punt.

Jones was a camp body that didn’t even do worth a shit there. He cost nothing; no signing bonus.

I think it may come down to what they have in pass protection, as well as special teams. If they think he's going to be an effective blocker in the backfield,  once he learns all the reads and assignments, Luepke could be a great multi-tool guy for several years to come. I'm a bit concerned about losing Zeke's blocking and having smaller backs trying to fill that role. He needs to have a regular role on special teams while he learns the more complex stuff on offense. He'll be one of the last cuts while they make the decision and check the wires for depth, hopefully picking up OL somewhere.

I'm not sure Turpin is going to be that valuable and could be expendable. I don't see him getting much in offensive reps over other receivers. He had some return game early last season but looked a lot more average and a bit loose with the ball as the season wore on. I don't want to see another secret weapon sucking up roster space and doing nothing special. I get too many Tavon Austin flashbacks. 

They likely will keep only 4 DTs as Quinn uses some of the DEs inside.

I’m a big Leuptke fan and touted his signing as a UDFA as a potential steal. I think he ends up at 54 because Lance takes up 53. The primary reason the trade sucks. And we need another OL to replace Ball. Right now they are looking at 3 LBs because of strong safety swing up ability. Lance was a stupid play by Jerry who got a hard on. No way he would get a 4 pick rating if drafted in 24 on his nfl play.

14 hours ago, DougO said:

I think it may come down to what they have in pass protection, as well as special teams. If they think he's going to be an effective blocker in the backfield,  once he learns all the reads and assignments, Luepke could be a great multi-tool guy for several years to come. I'm a bit concerned about losing Zeke's blocking and having smaller backs trying to fill that role. He needs to have a regular role on special teams while he learns the more complex stuff on offense. He'll be one of the last cuts while they make the decision and check the wires for depth, hopefully picking up OL somewhere.

I'm not sure Turpin is going to be that valuable and could be expendable. I don't see him getting much in offensive reps over other receivers. He had some return game early last season but looked a lot more average and a bit loose with the ball as the season wore on. I don't want to see another secret weapon sucking up roster space and doing nothing special. I get too many Tavon Austin flashbacks. 

I'm with you on Turpin. He's a zero at WR. I don't understand why he's apparently a lock to make the roster.

• Like 1

I’d cut Turpin. Deuce gives you that element and more.

Jerry jumping on Lance reeks of his stupid Hollywood shit of fixing problem players. The list is long. Jaylon smith. Kelvin Joseph. Johnny fucking football. Claiborne. Pac-Man Jones. Lael Collins. TO. Some work most don’t.