2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Interesting choice. I wonder if Stanford will pitch their ace on Thursday or do the same thing.

I’m not pitching my ace on Thursday if I’m Stanford. Keep that routine rolling and don’t mess with it. 

More on DJ:

Said Pierce: “What’s happening right now is when you’re injured and you’re frustrated, you’re not in the line-up every day, it just kind of changes your mentality. He’s struggling right now. He’s struggling with that. You can notice it in his batting practice, you can definitely notice it in his at-bats. I haven’t seen DJ give away too many at-bats since he’s been here, so he’s really frustrated.”

Petrinsky joins shortstop David Hamilton (Achilles) among the returning starters from last year’s College World Series qualifier who have been shelved this spring because of an injury. Petrinsky’s surgery leaves Shaw and sophomore Sam Bertelson as the leading candidates for playing time at first base. Senior Michael McCann and freshman Caston Peter are the only catchers remaining on the roster.

https://www.hookem.com/2019/03/06/shoulder-injury-to-sidelined-texas-senior-dj-petrinsky-for-the-rest-of-the-2019-baseball-season/

11 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

You can tell he's got what it takes to be a really good SS. Most of the mistakes I've seen him make were freshman type ones - stuff that will get shored up with practice, repetition, and general confidence of not being a noob. 

Exactly !

CJ Hinojosa had the same issues at the start of his first season.

3 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Sucks......oveheard his dad talking about it out at a tailgate in Left field before Friday night's game, they were hoping to get through the season and have the surgery done after. Hopefully he wants to come back for next year.

36 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Only having two catchers on the roster is no bueno.  They have to stay healthy.

Frosh is going to have to improve quick. Gonna need some games from him to give McCann a rest.

33 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Well hell.... was hoping Petrinsky would lessen the number of balls making it to the backstop we’ve been plagued with. ...

Not all on McCann. Our staff can't be throwing every braking ball (especially with runners on base) 57 or 58 feet.

Healthy, Petrinsky is the primary starter. Obviously he wasn't/isn't. I'm surprised he was out there this long after watching his throwing motion at some of the games. Give McCann some credit though, that was a tough series in shitty weather and he has already taken a beating this year behind the plate if you've watched many games. He definitely worked hard in the off season to improve his game. Going to be a long season though, and we will need the freshman or somebody else take some innings/games.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did we cut any catchers that we could bring back?  Need to have an emergency catcher, unless one of the other guys can fill that role. 

https://directory.utexas.edu/index.php?q=gauntt&scope=all&i=1I

Was hoping that Turner Gauntt had remained in school after being cut but can't find him.   He is from a UT family,  Dad was on the '83 championship team.

14 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

I would assume the many of the players played catcher at some point.  I know Geib caught when he was younger.

I mean, i caught when i was 14 but i damn sure wouldn't want to get behind the plate now with y'all calling every wild pitch a passed ball. Fuck that shit

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Not all on McCann. Our staff can't be throwing every braking ball (especially with runners on base) 57 or 58 feet.

Healthy, Petrinsky is the primary starter. Obviously he wasn't/isn't. I'm surprised he was out there this long after watching his throwing motion at some of the games. Give McCann some credit though, that was a tough series in shitty weather and he has already taken a beating this year behind the plate if you've watched many games. He definitely worked hard in the off season to improve his game. Going to be a long season though, and we will need the freshman or somebody else take some innings/games.

Did somebody say it was all on McCann or even the freshman?    Petrinksy is a better ball stopper than McCann.....whether it is his fault or the pitchers bouncing balls halfway there....hence my comment.   A better catcher stops more mistakes.

32 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Did somebody say it was all on McCann or even the freshman?    Petrinksy is a better ball stopper than McCann.....whether it is his fault or the pitchers bouncing balls halfway there....hence my comment.   A better catcher stops more mistakes.

I'm sorry, I didn't hear a goddamm thing you said.  Your avatar drowned it all out.

https://texassports.com/news/2019/3/6/texas-athletics-texas-football-orange-white-game-highlights-made-in-austin-weekend-april-12-14.aspx

Texas Athletics is proud to announce 'Made in Austin Weekend' to be held April 12-14 on The University of Texas campus. Events feature a variety of fan experiences that celebrates what makes Austin so unique: live music, specialty food and beverage offerings, dog-friendly activities, and -- most importantly -- Texas Football and Baseball!

Events are centered around the annual Texas Football Orange-White Game, presented by Living Spaces, on Saturday, April 13 at 6:30 p.m. in Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. The spring game, televised on Longhorn Network, is the first glimpse for Longhorns fans to see the defending Allstate Sugar Bowl Champions in action before the 2019 season opener against Louisiana Tech on Saturday, Aug. 31.

Bevo Blvd., the pregame street party on San Jacinto Blvd., makes its Spring Game debut. Fan activities get started at 3 p.m. and feature all of the elements Texas fans embraced during the 2018 regular season including the Bevo XV Parade presented by Texas Farm Bureau Insurance, and the Stadium Stampede.

Longhorn City Limits, the latest tradition in the "Live Music Capital of the World," returns to the LBJ Lawn (northeast corner of the stadium) on gameday. Featuring FREE pre- and postgame concerts, LCL promises to be a can't-miss event for live music fans on April 13.

Texas Baseball, led by third-year head coach David Pierce, looks to continue to build off their 2018 Big 12 Championship and College World Series run as they host K-State in an important three-game conference series.

Many exciting Made in Austin Weekend announcements are coming over the next month including Bevo Blvd. enhancements, Longhorn City Limits artists announcements, and a very special theme day at Texas Baseball on Sunday, April 14! Visit TexasSports.com and follow @TexasLonghorns on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates.

MADE IN AUSTIN WEEKEND SCHEDULE
Friday, April 12
6:30 p.m.: Texas Baseball vs. K-State at UFCU Disch-Falk Field

Saturday, April 13
8 a.m.: Longhorn Run | Event information
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.: LBJ Presidential Library's Grand Opening of 'Motown: The Sound of Young America,' curated by the GRAMMY Museum® | Details coming soon
1 p.m.: Texas Baseball vs. K-State at UFCU Disch-Falk Field
3-6:15 p.m.: Bevo Blvd. -- FREE admission!
4-6:15 p.m.: Longhorn City Limits pregame concerts -- FREE admission!
6:30 p.m.: Texas Football Orange-White Game presented by Living Spaces at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium -- FREE admission!
8:30 p.m.: Longhorn City Limits postgame concerts – FREE admission!

Sunday, April 14
1 p.m.: Texas Baseball vs. K-State at UFCU Disch-Falk Field

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Damn, that might end up hurting us worse than losing Hamilton.

Pierce should have picked up a sophomore JC catcher for this season.  I think he signed 3 high school catchers in the 2019 class.  It is going to be interesting  next year with 1 sophomore and 3 freshmen.

It does seem like we front-loaded a few more games than usual this season in terms of 4-game series and extra midweek game and more travel to start out (@ULL, @Rice).  Only solace is that we do this every year with Stanford so they also have to make the grinding trip out of timezones, etc.  Not that we are on par with Stanford academics-wise, but it's good to see both sides take the game very seriously, honor the long tradition of the home-and-home, and also stick to the academic regiment that both schools require and just mentally check-out after Ash Wednesday.  The trip is a beating for whoever is making it since they spend a lot of their time adjusting and studying but it's a fantastic series started long ago and I hope we continue it for a long while...

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Fuck. That sucks. These are the kind of issues that come up when you recruit as poorly as we did in 2016 and 2017. Definitely sucks though. I could see us losing 3-5 games due to catcher issues alone this year. 

Was Caston a highly rated recruit? He definitely looks underwhelming so far. Depending on Putrinsky, we may have to hit the JUCO market for a catcher next year. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fuck. That sucks. These are the kind of issues that come up when you recruit as poorly as we did in 2016 and 2017. Definitely sucks though. I could see us losing 3-5 games due to catcher issues alone this year. 

Was Caston a highly rated recruit? He definitely looks underwhelming so far. Depending on Putrinsky, we may have to hit the JUCO market for a catcher next year. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=442491

Pierce has 3 catchers in the 2019 recruiting class.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s still early and we’ll probably make changes, but current fielding percentage of 0.953 would be worst in at least 22 years.  Didn’t go any farther back.  

Getting 0 starts from your expected starters at the 2 most important defensive positions on the field combined with having terrible depth behind them due to the coaching change is a rough hand to be dealt. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

41 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Getting 0 starts from your expected starters at the 2 most important defensive positions on the field combined with having terrible depth behind them due to the coaching change is a rough hand to be dealt. 

How can you blame this on the coaching change?  Hamilton is in his 3rd season and he had 1 true catcher that he brought in last year from JC.  Pierce should have fixed these gaps with JC players in the 2018 class just like he did in the 2017 class.

14 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

How can you blame this on the coaching change?  Hamilton is in his 3rd season and he had 1 true catcher that he brought in last year from JC.  Pierce should have fixed these gaps with JC players in the 2018 class just like he did in the 2017 class.

He could ask Turner Gauntt to come back to the team. He left in Feb due to roster being full. Ridgeway out, Gauntt in.

23 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Go look at the the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes. He's done the best he can to salvage a rough roster he inherited. Not many teams have much depth behind their top two catchers.  What JUCO is going to want to come in to play catcher with a solid starter and established backup already in place at his position?

It's not realistic to just say "go get a JUCO." That's not how it works. You have to have a glaring need at the position, which we didn't have at the time JUCOs were committing in the 2018 class. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

This would be like blaming Tom Herman for not bringing in a JUCO QB to backup Sam Ehlinger and Casey Thompson. JUCOs want playing time, and they want it soon.

Edited by Machinator

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go look at the the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes. He's done the best he can to salvage a rough roster he inherited. Not many teams have much depth behind their top two catchers.  What JUCO is going to want to come in to play catcher with a solid starter and established backup already in place at his position?

It's not realistic to just say "go get a JUCO." That's not how it works. You have to have a glaring need at the position, which we didn't have at the time JUCOs were committing in the 2018 class. 

McCann has stepped up his hitting this year but based on 2017 and 2018 I would not label him an established backup.  I think he should have added a sophomore JC catcher and sell him on the fact that the job is open and that the other catchers at 1 and 2 are seniors.  I know hindsight is 20/20 but what was his plan for 2020?

3 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

McCann has stepped up his hitting this year but based on 2017 and 2018 I would not label him an established backup.  I think he should have added a sophomore JC catcher and sell him on the fact that the job is open and that the other catchers at 1 and 2 are seniors.  I know hindsight is 20/20 but what was his plan for 2020?

Petrisnky was a good starter last year. Pierce wasn't going to be able to sell a JUCO on the job being open this year.  Finding a good sophomore JUCO who's willing to wait a year to play is extremely unlikely, and I doubt there was a guy out there like that, which is why saying "just go get a JUCO" is unrealistic. We'll see on 2020. He has some TR FR coming in but he may also look for a JUCO for next year since the position will acutally be open then. 

Don’t think the broom guy tripped up Hamilton’s scooter, twisted DJs arm or whacked McCann in his nuts. 

Bad luck ruins seasons and we had bad luck at the 2 positions we couldn’t afford it.  Still won’t be a bad season because of our pitching, but ruined what might have been had we been at full strength.