2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

Top games this week:

Allen @ McKinney  Eagles 31-7

Dripping @ Westlake  Do I smell an upset?  Smelt like one for quite a while, but Chaps took over in the 4th, 27-14

SA Reagan-Johnson  Rattlers 41-27

Permian @ Leegacy  31-30 Legacy Permian failed on a 2-pt conversion with 10 secs left

BCent @ Aledo  42-0 Aledo

Boerne Champ @ Wagner 34-21 Wagner  These guys are good.

McAllen @ Vela 42-20 Vela  

Roho @ AWylie  Rider 34-14

Frisco Emerson @ Argyle  Argyle 41-34 on a TD in the final minute

Alamo Heights @ Harlandale  Mules 60-34

Waco LV @ China Spring 52-49 CS

Calallen @ Alice Alice 21-7!!!  @Nueces River Rat????

Fort Stockton @ Monahans 56-21 Lobos

Center @ Van 49-29 Van

Columbus @ Hitchcock 52-24 CC blows it open late.

Potts @ Winns  52-28 Winnsboro

Mason @ Johnson City 28-27 Punchers

Stratford @ Panhandle 34-24 Stratford

Also

Needville 56 El Campo 28

Decatur 58 WFHS 0

FB Marshall 21 Nederland 19

Midlo Her. 38  Ennis 35

Lindale 35 Chapel Hill 23

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, jeevsie said:

Hey, @Helobious and @TheBryMan81

Weslaco won again

Yeah Eli Rodriguez had another huge game, and they were able to corral Pineda. 

Harlingen - 27  Brownsville Hanna - 10.

Watched some of it on YouTube. Pretty easily the worst Cardinal team since I was in kinder or 1st grade. We’re horrible at almost everything.

SA Reagan - 41  SA Johnson - 27

Reagan RB Cole Pryor is legit as fuck. Rattlers looking at a 10-0 season now. 

PSJA North - 55  McAllen Rowe - 0

It’s getting absurd

SA Marshall - 33  SA Madison - 20

Madison, Judson, and O’Connor all fucking suck. The 2010 SA sports scene weeps.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Cedar Hill beat Skyline 28-14, that gives them the inside track for the last playoff spot in the district of doom.

9 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Mansfield started this season 5-0 but got blown out by Cedar Hill and last night Duncanville outgained them 431-40. The Tigers managed 1 first down the entire game. 51-0 final after it was 44-0 at the half

People talk about 83 Daingerfield, 85 Yates and the Kyler Murray Allen teams as the best ever. This Duncanville team may be the best.

Mansfield got fat off of a weak early schedule. Once they got into the meat of that district it was over. And they’ve still got DeSoto and Waxahachie on the schedule, so not looking good for them.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Top games this week:

Allen @ McKinney  Eagles 31-7

Dripping @ Westlake  Do I smell an upset?  Smelt like one for quite a while, but Chaps took over in the 4th, 27-14

SA Reagan-Johnson  Rattlers 41-27

Permian @ Leegacy  31-30 Legacy Permian failed on a 2-pt conversion with 10 secs left

BCent @ Aledo  42-0 Aledo

Boerne Champ @ Wagner 34-21 Wagner  These guys are good.

McAllen @ Vela 42-20 Vela  

Roho @ AWylie  Rider 34-14

Frisco Emerson @ Argyle  Argyle 41-34 on a TD in the final minute

Alamo Heights @ Harlandale  Mules 60-34

Waco LV @ China Spring 52-49 CS

Calallen @ Alice Alice 21-7!!!  @Nueces River Rat????

Fort Stockton @ Monahans 56-21 Lobos

Center @ Van 49-29 Van

Columbus @ Hitchcock 52-24 CC blows it open late.

Potts @ Winns  52-28 Winnsboro

Mason @ Johnson City 28-27 Punchers

Stratford @ Panhandle 34-24 Stratford

Also

Needville 56 El Campo 28

Decatur 58 WFHS 0

FB Marshall 21 Nederland 19

Midlo Her. 38  Ennis 35

Lindale 35 Chapel Hill 23

We are having a rare down year.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

38 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is not Texas but it’s the best HS football story going in the country. I’ve been following Barrow via Sickos Committee.

Barrow plays on a blue field next to the Arctic Ocean. 

They’ve won state in their division in Alaska before. There’s a few YouTube docs about them too.

47 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is not Texas but it’s the best HS football story going in the country. I’ve been following Barrow via Sickos Committee.

Barrow plays on a blue field next to the Arctic Ocean. 

Pretty sure this is where former UT basketball player Kamaka Hepa is from. He went to Barrow High if I’m remembering correctly. Eventually moved to Portland to play better competition.

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Pretty sure this is where former UT basketball player Kamaka Hepa is from. He went to Barrow High if I’m remembering correctly. Eventually moved to Portland to play better competition.

Yeah he was from there. 

CSB: One boring day a few years back I looked up Scott Gomez (favorite hockey player growing up) and saw he went to Anchorage East HS. With just 2,000ish students it is literally the biggest high school in Alaska. Also one of the most ethnically diverse in the US. Spent a couple hours that day just in a deep dive of Alaska high school sports. I have a lot of useless info in my head but that might top it all.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Yeah he was from there. 

CSB: One boring day a few years back I looked up Scott Gomez (favorite hockey player growing up) and saw he went to Anchorage East HS. With just 2,000ish students it is literally the biggest high school in Alaska. Also one of the most ethnically diverse in the US. Spent a couple hours that day just in a deep dive of Alaska high school sports. I have a lot of useless info in my head but that might top it all.

Former Duke and NBA player Trajan Langdon went to that very same high school. A pro player from Alaska is rare enough that I usually remember them. 

Carlos Boozer and Mario Chalmers are also from Alaska.

On 10/13/2023 at 10:04 PM, jeevsie said:

Hey, @Helobious and @TheBryMan81

Weslaco won again

On 10/13/2023 at 10:20 PM, Helobious said:

Yeah Eli Rodriguez had another huge game, and they were able to corral Pineda. 

Little Eli with over 200 yards and I believe 4 tds in the second half. He's having a heck of a season and the defense is rock solid.

We'll be favored in the next two games... After that, hopefully it's an undefeated showdown against San Benito for the district title. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2023 at 6:27 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

North Mesquite may be the worst 5A team I’ve ever seen. Longview is up 49-0 with 4 minutes left in the first half and they’ve run a total of I believe 13 plays and thrown 2 passes. North Mesquite has zero first downs and I think -8 total yards. Seriously.  -8. 

On 10/13/2023 at 7:47 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

Is that bad?

Not as bad as you think.  North Mesquite suited up their golf team.  

• Haha 1

Lampasas and Davenport are playing on Friday for the district championship at Badger Field. Davenport has the experience of losing the game that decided the district title last year against Canyon Lake and that might be what wins this game for them. Both teams have ridiculously talented offenses and both have sophomores at RB. Every skill position player of importance for Lampasas is an underclassman. Jett Walker has had over a 100 yards on the ground in 6 of 7 games and missed the other by three yards. He went well over 200 last week with at least three TD’s longer than 55 yards. He’s 6’1 195 and has really good open field speed. Reed Jerome directs the offense and the Junior accounts for about 265 yards a game passing and running. I believe he was a linebacker before being the QB. He definitely plays like one. 

Lampasas has the best freshman WR in the state, regardless of classification, in Ty Johnson. I really have no idea how they wound up with a player like him, but hoo boy is he GOOD. He’s easily the fastest player on the roster and already is 6’2” and 185 or so. He does not look nor play like someone going into just his 8th varsity game. @Beau Vine’s guys can attest to the 87 yard TD he had against them where he took a screen and ran right past six defenders all the way across the field and wound up about 10 yards ahead of everyone. It is not an exaggeration to say he will be the best football player for Lampasas since Johnny Lam Jones. One of these two teams are going to make a run to the regional finals I believe. I expect Lampasas to be playing for a state title next year with everyone returning.

Troy Rogers, the Badgers head coach, was the Class 3A state MVP in 1993 as a QB. He was one of the forerunners to the high octane passing offenses we see everywhere as he threw for 3400 yards that year before losing to Clint Finley and Cuero in the regional final. He still has a gunslinger’s mentality and likes to run trick plays anywhere on the field. His high school head coach, Rod Hess, was running a variation of the Mouse Davis run and shoot back then and had won a state title in 1982 at Eastland with his son Jay (the OC of the 1993 team) as the QB. I was in the 8th grade back then and I can still vividly recall the game that decided the district title in 1993. It was the 8th game and Lampasas was hosting Marble Falls. Both were undefeated and in the top 10. Lampasas scored first on a TD pass and never scored again which later led to chants of “We scored first!” in the 40-7 loss. That was a fortuitous loss as Marble Falls lost in the 2nd round to Cuero. Lampasas upset 2nd ranked Sweeny and future UT DL Cedric Woodard in their own 2nd round game. 

I expect the winner of this one to have to put up at least 45. Last year Davenport won 55-34. I believe Maxpreps has Lampasas ranked 13th and Davenport 23rd. I hope this game goes better for Coach Rogers and Lampasas than the one 30 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 4

I was at that Cuero - Marble Falls game at DKR. Cuero had a pre-game chant, "We want, we want.... we want the Gobblers!" that got stuck in my head and led to a bunch of dirty looks. My dad and I were sitting on the MF side. That was a really good game, like 17-14 Cuero. I went to the game the following week and Cuero won like 50-7 over someone. I love small division playoff football.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

This week is Denton Ryan @ Aledo. District winning streak is at 117. Win this and it should make it to 119 because Aledo finishes with Brewer.

At this point I’m curious if we’ll get two more years in 5AD1 or move up to 6A.

someone better lock down that Finley kid.  His daddy runs with a crowd that could damn sure lead him to boulder.  

5 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

I was at that Cuero - Marble Falls game at DKR. Cuero had a pre-game chant, "We want, we want.... we want the Gobblers!" that got stuck in my head and led to a bunch of dirty looks. My dad and I were sitting on the MF side. That was a really good game, like 17-14 Cuero. I went to the game the following week and Cuero won like 50-7 over someone. I love small division playoff football.

Those were good times man. I can distinctly remember hearing the score from that Cuero game and thinking “Oh man Marble is out!” As an 8th grader playing football you look up to these guys because in a small town they seem larger than life. Every Friday was exciting. Beating Todd Dodge and Cameron that year for the first time in forever was big for us that season in non-district.

I also remember the final score being 14-6 Cuero against the Lake Rats. One of the quirks of having autism is I can remember random scores like that one. I get some good laughs out of friends at how I can recall scores like that. That would also be the same score SLC beat them by in the final in their last game in Class 3A. I also remember about that year that we beat Pearsall in the 3rd round 33-0. They were coached by Kiff Hardin. He became a finalist for the Lampasas job in 1995, but we gave it to Mark Bell instead who stayed two seasons before going to China Spring and winning a whole bunch. Things worked out well for Hardin since Gatesville hired him and he got the 2000 state title riding Taurean Henderson and his defense to a title. As random luck would have it I was doing play-by-play for them that year. Never met Hardin as I just showed up from college each week to do their game while the dad of a childhood friend did all the legwork. Fun ride though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Lots of really good ones this week:

Guyer @ Allen

Cy Springs-Falls

CE King @ Atascocita

LT @ Dripping

Harlingen @ San Benito

Roma @ PSJAM  Neat story

Georgetown @ CS

SA Harlan-Jay

SV @ Boerne Champ

CC Vets-Miller

Midlo @ Lake Belton

Longview @ McK North

China Spring @ Stephenville

Hamshire-F @ Silsbee

Celina @ Carter

Wimberley @ Navarro

Carthage @ Center

Goliad @ Edna

Paradise @ Brock

Lorena @ Franklin

Decatur @ Springtown

Refugio @ Shiner   It will be a blowout, Shiner is out of Brooks brothers.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Mansfield Timberview beat Sunset 90-0. Sunset finished the game with -24 total yards.

Don’t know if Timberview was running up the score or rubbing it in or what but SOC head coach had this to say.

Maybe coach is just standing up for another DISD school. 

What is the context of this?

On 10/18/2023 at 4:38 PM, UpperWestside said:

Lampasas and Davenport are playing on Friday for the district championship at Badger Field. Davenport has the experience of losing the game that decided the district title last year against Canyon Lake and that might be what wins this game for them. Both teams have ridiculously talented offenses and both have sophomores at RB. Every skill position player of importance for Lampasas is an underclassman. Jett Walker has had over a 100 yards on the ground in 6 of 7 games and missed the other by three yards. He went well over 200 last week with at least three TD’s longer than 55 yards. He’s 6’1 195 and has really good open field speed. Reed Jerome directs the offense and the Junior accounts for about 265 yards a game passing and running. I believe he was a linebacker before being the QB. He definitely plays like one. 

Lampasas has the best freshman WR in the state, regardless of classification, in Ty Johnson. I really have no idea how they wound up with a player like him, but hoo boy is he GOOD. He’s easily the fastest player on the roster and already is 6’2” and 185 or so. He does not look nor play like someone going into just his 8th varsity game. @Beau Vine’s guys can attest to the 87 yard TD he had against them where he took a screen and ran right past six defenders all the way across the field and wound up about 10 yards ahead of everyone. It is not an exaggeration to say he will be the best football player for Lampasas since Johnny Lam Jones. One of these two teams are going to make a run to the regional finals I believe. I expect Lampasas to be playing for a state title next year with everyone returning.

Troy Rogers, the Badgers head coach, was the Class 3A state MVP in 1993 as a QB. He was one of the forerunners to the high octane passing offenses we see everywhere as he threw for 3400 yards that year before losing to Clint Finley and Cuero in the regional final. He still has a gunslinger’s mentality and likes to run trick plays anywhere on the field. His high school head coach, Rod Hess, was running a variation of the Mouse Davis run and shoot back then and had won a state title in 1982 at Eastland with his son Jay (the OC of the 1993 team) as the QB. I was in the 8th grade back then and I can still vividly recall the game that decided the district title in 1993. It was the 8th game and Lampasas was hosting Marble Falls. Both were undefeated and in the top 10. Lampasas scored first on a TD pass and never scored again which later led to chants of “We scored first!” in the 40-7 loss. That was a fortuitous loss as Marble Falls lost in the 2nd round to Cuero. Lampasas upset 2nd ranked Sweeny and future UT DL Cedric Woodard in their own 2nd round game. 

I expect the winner of this one to have to put up at least 45. Last year Davenport won 55-34. I believe Maxpreps has Lampasas ranked 13th and Davenport 23rd. I hope this game goes better for Coach Rogers and Lampasas than the one 30 years ago.

Davenport just got back one of their best players last week. Possibly could have been the starting QB this year if he hadn't torn his Acl at end of sophomore year. He plays as a starting WR and can be used as QB for some gadget and wildcat stuff. #2. Had a big impact last week. 

The key to slowing Davenport down is forcing turnovers. QB is somewhat prone to it. Fumbles snaps and stuff. Don't know if he has small hands or what, but that was their downfall against Kerrville. There's your scouting report. 😆 

Edited by Boss Hogg