2023 Texas High School Football

On 12/13/2023 at 9:48 AM, Helobious said:

3-9 my ass. It’s fucking redemption season. 

1A D2: Benjamin

1A D1: Gordon

2A D2: Mart

2A D1: Timpson

3A D2: Tidehaven. South Texas pride 

3A D1: Malakoff

4A D2: Gilmer

4A D1: Tyler Chapel Hill

5A D2: PNG gets revenge

5A D1: Aledo

6A D2: Summer Creek with one of the biggest  state title upsets ever. They’ve had a sneaky great season, and when Claude Mathis is on the opposing sideline you’ve always got a chance to win. 

6A D1: lol. Duncanville by however many points they feel like

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Went 6-6 in my picks this year. That’s called progress.

Helo, you went 8-4.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

SOC game they were saying 19 teams have 3-peats.

did they show the list?

Would be a good trivia question.

off the top of my head without giving it any thought I got the following. I have no idea if they are all right. I haven’t focused on HS football in ~20 years. I probably could have gotten 60-70% back then. I know there is a lot of low hanging fruit I’m missing

Spoiler

Daingerfield

Celina

Aledo

Southlake Carroll

Lake Travis

Westlake

Stephenville

Mart

Highland Park

edit: Stephenville never did it 

Edited by UTexasFight

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

SOC game they were saying 19 teams have 3-peats.

did they show the list?

Would be a good trivia question.

off the top of my head without giving it any thought I got the following. I have no idea if they are all right. I haven’t focused on HS football in ~20 years. I probably could have gotten 60-70% back then. I know there is a lot of low hanging fruit I’m missing

Hide contents

Daingerfield

Celina

Aledo

Southlake Carroll

Lake Travis

Westlake

Stephenville

Mart

Highland Park

They were saying 20 schools have 3+ state championships, nothing about three-peats

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They were saying 20 schools have 3+ state championships, nothing about three-peats

Really?

that doesn’t seem right

there have to be way more than 20 schools with 3 or more state championships 

Spoiler

Edited by UTexasFight

Final for anyone who still cares about this terrible game: DeSoto 74 Summer Creek 14.

Some interesting notes in an uninteresting game:

DeSoto has a freshman WR who caught a TD and he was wearing a Texas Longhorn bandana. Maybe something to keep an eye on down the road.

Tre Wisner’s little brother blocked two punts.

That’s all I got. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

My issue with it and so many of these calls in football and basketball, the foul or flag was only called after the ref looked at the result of the play. See it in basketball all the time. They see a foul but want to see if the player will make the basket. They don't and then call the foul way late.

Ref didn't take the flag out until the ball hit the ground and play was all over. Guarantee he doesn't throw it if he catches it.

watch again…ref WAS reaching for his flag but couldn’t get it out.  

image.png.7c1905f9f501c1e5270fe400420c9d18.png

ball in the air.  DPI…clearly.  he made exact the right call.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

8 of the 9 winning teams were all on the North side of the stadium. Only losing team on that side is/was Summer Creek.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday games

Summer Creek is from Humble, on the NE side of Houston.

23 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

To me, it looked like more people were there for the PNG/SOC game than any others.

PNG travels in huge numbers.  They filled up their side of the Astrodome, icluding all the way up to the rainbows,  for the state final against Stephenville with Briles and little rape fingers Briles.

19 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

To me, it looked like more people were there for the PNG/SOC game than any others.

It looked like it too.  PNG travels well and it helped them even more having their game on Saturday helped push their numbers higher.   

The fans that get the shaft are the lower classifications which many of the schools in those classes that make it don’t sit within a couple of hours from Jerryworld.   Those fan bases in some cases don’t have the resources to pay for $30 parking on top of all the other costs to get there if they can get there.   Small town folks just can’t take off work on a whim too on short notice   

This whole concept needs to be reevaluated.   UIL is supposed to provide as neutral as possible venues for their championships and not fleece the very taxpayers who fund the organization.  

• Hook 'Em 3