Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Scoot is in for a similar experience. His stats and shooting %'s in OVE were abysmal given his stature as a player and the level of competition. His handlers had him shut down because his stock had started to drop. I'd rather have Miller (if he can clean up his act) or Walker from UH over Henderson.

What are you talking about?

The initiative to shut down Henderson, 19, comes from G League executives who feel Henderson has shown enough with his play this season. The point guard averaged 17.6 points, 6.4 assists, 5.1 rebounds and 1.2 steals in 30 minutes.

Ignite has an 11-16 record and is in 10th place in the Western Conference and four games out of the G League playoffs, making it unlikely the team can qualify with just five games remaining. Henderson did not play in Ignite's last game Sunday against the Texas Legends, a game the team won 99-82.

He played 25 of a possible 50 games for Ignite this season as part of G League competition, including the Showcase Cup leading into the G League Winter Showcase in December.

Henderson missed significant time with a nasal fracture and two separate concussions as well as an ankle injury he suffered in late January.

Scoot won't fall beyond 3 on the draft board. That says more about Miller than it does Scoot.

Also not sure what you mean by "level of competition". G League is pretty high on the totem pole. 

If you're trying to reverse engineer Uconn's championship team, along with the two athletic big guys, it's interesting that they filled the roster with perimeter length that's mostly big for their positions (until you get to Calcaterra, who still isn't small) that's switchable on defense

Here's the listed height for their rotational perimeter players (sorted by minutes played per game)

Hawkins- 6'5

Jackson Jr- 6'6

Karaban- 6'8

Newton- 6'5

Alleyne- 6'4

Calcaterra- 6'3

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I loved everything about Dillon Mitchell this year except his actual on the court game.  It's a weird thing to say I guess, but it was refreshing. 5 star. Played hard. Didn't play big minutes. Cheered his teammates on whenever he wasn't in the game.  Seemed to keep his head down and didn't pout.  None of that shit is common for a top 10 type recruit who doesn't see things going his way and is watching his NBA stock crater.  Seems like a good dude. 

Yeah, Greg Brown is the most recent comparison and they were very different dudes in this category.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

What are you talking about?

Scoot won't fall beyond 3 on the draft board. That says more about Miller than it does Scoot.

Also not sure what you mean by "level of competition". G League is pretty high on the totem pole. 

I never said Scoot is going to fall. I was also wrong, I thought he played in OVE, and not the GL, which is several levels higher than OVE.

28 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That dude from usc has some pedestrian numbers. Under 10 a game, under 30% from three? Am I missing something? Is he a super elite defender?

He shot 46% from 3 his first year, I’m guessing the truth is somewhere in the middle.

4 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Couple of big names off the board.

That’s just full circle for the Tulane guy. He started at LSU

45 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Tech transfer Fardaws Aimaq to Cal... probably wasn't on Texas's radar

His former coach before Tech was hired at Cal 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Some Louisiana kids are just going to stay in Louisiana. Different coach at LSU now, so I guess it’s a fresh start for him there.

43 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That dude from usc has some pedestrian numbers. Under 10 a game, under 30% from three? Am I missing something? Is he a super elite defender?

Good defender, and shot over 45% from 3 as a freshman. Averaged 10 and 3 coming off the bench despite a down year offensively. I’ll take my chances that his offensive game improves.

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I guess my point is I would think there are better guys we should be able to get? 

We’re going to have to bring in 4-5 transfers and maybe more depending on attrition. Not all of them can be stars. If he’s willing to accept his role, then he could be a valuable transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We’re going to have to bring in 4-5 transfers and maybe more depending on attrition. Not all of them can be stars. If he’s willing to accept his role, then he could be a valuable transfer. 

True but the big names are starting to come off the board. 

who are our top 4-5 targets then? 

50 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm aware, just thought it might be of interest here.  I expect Cal to be getting a bunch of mid to highish tier guys but not top end.  Their donors have bankrolled NIL to escape anything resembling last year's historically bad dogshit season

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I can’t remember names, but from what I’ve seen we’re after the UVA big, the UNT guard who was conference player of the year, the USC kid, and the Rice guard. Tenn had the transfer wing that would be a good get, but I don’t know if we’re really after him. I’m sure I’m missing a few, but it seems like the staff wants 1-2 bigs and 2-3 guards/wings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Are they? I'd say at least 90% of the big names are still on the board/haven't gone into the portal yet. 

There goes our 1st, not entirely surprising

21 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Are they? I'd say at least 90% of the big names are still on the board/haven't gone into the portal yet. 

I mean the big names that are in currently. Dickinson was the #1 in the portal rankings and love was 10. I’m just impatient . 

23 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Not surprising at all. Means we're either transferring in or recruiting above him.

I figured he was gone once the Beard stuff happened. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Haith certainly has shown he can recruit to UT and is a solid coach overall. I admittedly know little about his trail of infractions, but I trust those now are far behind him.

Yeah no. We are just giving the big fuck you to the NCAA. We have been buying players in basketball for 20 years and we ain’t slowing down. I’m all for it especially now that we can disguise it as NIL.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Haith certainly has shown he can recruit to UT and is a solid coach overall. I admittedly know little about his trail of infractions, but I trust those now are far behind him.

I hope they aren’t far behind him. Keep cheating. Everyone else is doing it.

Just don’t get caught. 

19 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

When the mom is taller than you are, the son  has the potential to be gigantic .

18 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

This Kidd looks like he could be a good 3-point shooter who brings his lunch pail to work every day. He may even be like a coach on the court.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

When the mom is taller than you are, the son  has the potential to be gigantic .

This Kidd looks like he could be a good 3-point shooter who brings his lunch pail to work every day. He may even be like a coach on the court.

College comparison:mason plumlee

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I admittedly know little about his trail of infractions

Same - I wasn't interested in Texas athletics coaches when he was here, and I don't follow cbb close enough to know about him despite that. So, I went to his wikipedia page. 

If there has ever been a more shining example of someone maintaining their own Wikipedia page, please tell me about it because this is the current gold standard. Let's investigate. 

A-HEM

On February 26th, 2021, a Wikipedia user "129.244.25.186" made four significant edits to the Frank Haith page. Spoilered below.

Spoiler

1) "It's not a ban, it's a SUSPENSION. And we kicked ass when I got back!"

Screenshot-2023-04-08-132349.png

2) "Look, ma - we're winning AND graduating!"

Screenshot-2023-04-08-132600.png

3) "Oh, it wasn't as bad as all that"

Screenshot-2023-04-08-132523.png

4) "A little papa brag won't hurt"

Screenshot-2023-04-08-132500.png

My personal favorite. "Nationally-renowned" = on television one time with her friends

Tulsa teen competing on NBC's 'World of Dance' - Brianna Haith is a freshman at Holland Hall in Tulsa, but she dances for a company in Edmond. Haith and the rest of her group "Intention" at Kim Massay Dance Productions were chosen to compete.

Wikipedia allows for users to contribute as registered or as an IP user, which this user certainly is. How convenient then that the University of Tulsa's IP range is public info and these edits clearly came from campus. 

It appears that after leaving Tulsa, he was able to resource his Wikipolishing, or get wise to how his ip was outing these exploits.

Screenshot-2023-04-08-135039.png

Brownpr has of course been deleted as an account in the last 2 weeks. How interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1