Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

3 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Agree that Mitchell seemed to accept his role well and played hard.  However, it allowed defenses to guard 4 with 5 players.  Thought he probably got too many minutes.

Yep. and they could have probably just gone to Sir Jabari from the word go- but maybe there was some benefit to having the 6 man of the year.  I don't know.  Also- who knows what the opportunity cost of brining him in financially was...

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. and they could have probably just gone to Sir Jabari from the word go- but maybe there was some benefit to having the 6 man of the year.  I don't know.  Also- who knows what the opportunity cost of brining him in financially was...

He was the main one, imo.  Perhaps Arterio, but just to see if he was hot on a given night.  It doesnt sound like he is a fit going forward... but personally I liked his game.

32 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s important to remember though, that some of this instability happening is because of the Chris Beard situation. Not sure Brumbaugh or AJ Johnson leave if the coach they committed to wasn’t fired for DV charges. We thought guys might bail in the middle of the season when it first happened. They waited until the season was over instead.

I expect a certain level of instability to be the new normal with the portal, but I don’t necessarily expect it to this extent every single year. 

Johnson could have decomitted at any point between December and today. He stayed because of Terry. Johnson would still not be coming to Texas if CB was still the coach. He took the pro money without the commitment to having to go to classes for a semester.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s important to remember though, that some of this instability happening is because of the Chris Beard situation. Not sure Brumbaugh or AJ Johnson leave if the coach they committed to wasn’t fired for DV charges. We thought guys might bail in the middle of the season when it first happened. They waited until the season was over instead.

I expect a certain level of instability to be the new normal with the portal, but I don’t necessarily expect it to this extent every single year. 

The portal and NIL are brand new. This is literally uncharted territory. It is pure delusion to make a statement like this. 

Here's the deal to me.  Do some of these kids not watch their fucking film?  Especially when it comes to playing time.  Do they have the drive and quite frankly anger it takes to outwork and usurp a talented starter to get your minutes.  Hunter got more and more minutes as he improved over the course of the season, but he could have gotten more minutes a lot earlier with a higher level of play.  Look at Marcus Carr this year vs the year before.  He simply did not live up to the billing year one, but he worked hard and became the player that everyone expected him to be.  Mitchell simply could not consistently play at a high enough level to push other more experienced players out of the way.  And why was that?  Usually... it's less than stellar defense, and an unwillingness to work hard to further develop your talent.  Defense is the one really unselfish part of basketball.  You need EVERYONE to play good defense.  If you don't play good defense you are letting everyone else on the court down, as you are the weakest link.  

Basketball is the one sport where a reasonably talented player can cash a pretty decent paycheck if they have talent (even if their defense is weak) as there are so many international leagues out there you can make some pretty good coin for a couple years. 

I think because of the team size, the portal and NIL it will become more and more rare to actually build teams over time.  It's gonna be attrition and replacement over, and over, and over.  And in a way, that may actually not be a good for Terry as some coaches.  As I truly believe he values his relationships and building them.  And that may be hard to do with the disrupter that is the portal (combined with NIL).  I will also say that with Terry's desire for defense nearly any talented player could benefit from improving their defense, and in turn their NBA prospects.  Because of these uncertainties, that is why I say we will find out soon if Terry can recruit.  I know he has recruited well in the past, but the portal and the NIL have changed the game dramatically.  But like I said we are going to get a report card very soon,  as players are now able to start signing on the dotted line up until May 17th. 

Hopefully we can get a signing to build some momentum shortly.  We are in the mix for some good names, now we just need to close one or two to start defining the team for the remaining players out there.  And we need more NIL money, (ask Miami).

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I was told that there were a handful of blue chip recruits and/or transfers that were waiting for the official announcement of RT as HC.

That is indeed what we were told.  We got suckered yet again by the $9.95ers who told us what we wanted to hear to justify their boy RT getting the job.

He can still be the guy, but it was supposed to sound like we were going to be getting 2024 recruits and transfers as soon as CDC hit send on the RT tweet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

The portal and NIL are brand new. This is literally uncharted territory. It is pure delusion to make a statement like this. 

Which part? The part where I say the Beard situation may have affected these kid’s decisions or the part where I say I expect upheaval but not of the entire roster every year. I don’t think either of those require such a dramatic response from you.

29 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Au contraire , Pierre.  It makes sense if you think a little.  The answer we are getting now is just not the one we were led to expect.

You think Terry told them to hold off announcing until he secured the bag?

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d be surprised if the Virginia kid doesn’t end up at Duke. And I’ll be surprised if abmas doesn’t pick KSU and tang. Hope I’m wrong.

Battered Longhorn Syndrome 

Our diplomas should come with free therapy 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Really curious the time table of our first portal commit. I feel like other schools are getting multiple and we have 0. 

I understand the instinct to worry, but we didn’t have any transfers last year on this exact date either. 

There is plenty of time, 2 years ago Marcus Carr didn’t commit to us until Mid July.

51 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, Texas didn't want him.

All of the fly by night, oh hey it's not football season, fans were clamoring for him.  I think everyone else accepted we had to do it, but early returns are not looking great.  Still early, but I think we need to start seeing more positive signals from the portal to feel comfortable.

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

All of the fly by night, oh hey it's not football season, fans were clamoring for him.  I think everyone else accepted we had to do it, but early returns are not looking great.  Still early, but I think we need to start seeing more positive signals from the portal to feel comfortable.

They have lost 1 guy they wanted, and are hosting their top 2 this upcoming week. Apparently, Nunn was a done deal to Baylor until he tripped to Texas, and now Baylor is fighting tooth and nail not to lose him. Texas is fine.

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry just posted a Hi thread, which means we got a commitment. He didn't specify football or basketball, but something is about to be announced. Considering coming out of the weekend with both sports hosting, it could either one. I really hope it's Nunn.

For the sake of the basketball board that would be imperative.

49 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry just posted a Hi thread, which means we got a commitment. He didn't specify football or basketball, but something is about to be announced. Considering coming out of the weekend with both sports hosting, it could either one. I really hope it's Nunn.

May be football transfer related?  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Man I haven't posted here since I used hotnickels as a tag and this was shaggy......

I'm rooting for RT........ but he really never should have gotten the job TBH.  He's not one of the top say 50 coaches in the game........those are the caliber of guys we should be targeting.  I get that he "earned" this opportunity - but he's REALLY going to have to turn it up a level or two or three..........thousand

Good luck to the man