Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

48 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Next year is going to be brutal. Remember all of that love in your heart for Terry right now because it’s going to be a dick storm next year. 

I am just trying to figure out what a dick storm is... But it doesn't sound good. 

25 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I am just trying to figure out what a dick storm is... But it doesn't sound good. 

A storm of dicks. What's so hard to figure out? It sucks getting caught in a storm of raindrops. Now, imagine those raindrops are dicks. It's not good. The only person who would enjoy that is Bob Stoops. And South Austin's mom...

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Some positive news. I tend to lean towards the BWG side of there being so many good players in the portal you can't judge until the roster is filled out but I get why people are worried.

I’d go from a level 8 freakout down to a level 6 if Abmas picks us. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Some positive news. I tend to lean towards the BWG side of there being so many good players in the portal you can't judge until the roster is filled out but I get why people are worried.

I wasn’t all that concerned about transfers not coming in yet, it’s still very early for that. But the number of people leaving is hard not to worry about.

Landing Abmas would definitely help soothe that though.

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The last guy to go to the NBL was Lamelo Ball, it worked out fine for him.

Lamelo also had an insanely strong personal brand and pedigree as Lonzo’s bro. AJ is simply going to be forgotten about for a year by the vast majority of the general public. He can still become a lottery pick no doubt, but I just can’t imagine turning down the chance to play college basketball personally. KD was talking on his podcast last month in regards to Bronny that he thinks college is definitely still the move if you want to set a higher floor for your brand, as opposed to disappearing for a year. AJ didn’t want to play school, good luck to him.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And what about others? Lamello was what 3-4 years ago?

RJ Hampton is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head. Still ended up a 1st round pick despite dropping on draft night. 

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Y'all making "get paid to live in Australia and play basketball for a year while not even pretending to do homework" sound like he joined Uralmash Yekaterinburg on a 5 year contract.

When you have the chance to live in the Gong, you have to do it.

On 4/4/2023 at 5:51 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't even get excited anymore by 5 star recruits in basketball. 

Several go the NBL route, the ones that make it to college normally aren't ready and then enter the draft after 1 year, and if they don't enter the draft there's a good chance they transfer due to lack of playing time/production. 

Build a roster with transfers every year. It's the way. 

Still true. 

14 minutes ago, Teryor said:

RJ Hampton is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head. Still ended up a 1st round pick despite dropping on draft night. 

Very few Americans go the NBL route. The NBL has a next stars program meant for guys to prep for the NBA, but it’s filled with other international players. Their most recent success is Josh Giddey, who is Australian anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

Look guys- this isn't sour grapes or anything on Johnson- I basically called this out when Morris transferred that I could give a shit less about Johnson coming in and anyone calling that a good trade is wrong...

I don't ever want to spend a red cent on a 1 year player that's a 5 star that isn't ready to dominate at the college level. It just isn't worth it. I would bet that there are less than 5 guys a year that are 1 year guys that I would want at UT if the cost is a 5th year transfer that's a really really good basketball player in college.  It's just not worth it- especially if the guy isn't locked in and wanting to be here. 

Dillon Mitchell was about the best teammate, lowest maintenance most "not a problem" 5 star 1 and done guy I've ever seen, such that he is obviously the exception to the rule, and I would say that feeling like we had to start him and give him 14 minutes a game did us more harm then good just in looking at the collection of guys on the team, and to the extent that it was a roster spot that you could have given to a really good college player with no NBA skills it was a problem.

This is gives us another guy we can take in the portal that will be an adult and a proven and good college basketball player.

Note- the 1 guy we have remaining in our class is one of the 4 or 5 guys a year I would want to come here b/c I think he will be better than whatever we could expect in the portal and is worth the money and experience.  

Don't freak out about Johnson- consider it a bullet dodged and be happy that this means they get to be more aggressive in the portal. It's not a problem.  And I say this not as a guy carrying any water for Rodney Terry.  We will know the immediate future of this program based upon what the portal haul looks like and if we are still getting all our guys that we target and bring in.  

In the meantime go find some 3 or 4 year guys that you can develop. You need 1 or 2 of those guys a year to form the foundation of the program that you add 3-5 portal guys a year into.  

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look guys- this isn't sour grapes or anything on Johnson- I basically called this out when Morris transferred that I could give a shit less about Johnson coming in and anyone calling that a good trade is wrong...

I don't ever want to spend a red cent on a 1 year player that's a 5 star that isn't ready to dominate at the college level. It just isn't worth it. I would bet that there are less than 5 guys a year that are 1 year guys that I would want at UT if the cost is a 5th year transfer that's a really really good basketball player in college.  It's just not worth it- especially if the guy isn't locked in and wanting to be here. 

Dillon Mitchell was about the best teammate, lowest maintenance most "not a problem" 5 star 1 and done guy I've ever seen, such that he is obviously the exception to the rule, and I would say that feeling like we had to start him and give him 14 minutes a game did us more harm then good just in looking at the collection of guys on the team, and to the extent that it was a roster spot that you could have given to a really good college player with no NBA skills it was a problem.

This is gives us another guy we can take in the portal that will be an adult and a proven and good college basketball player.

Note- the 1 guy we have remaining in our class is one of the 4 or 5 guys a year I would want to come here b/c I think he will be better than whatever we could expect in the portal and is worth the money and experience.  

Don't freak out about Johnson- consider it a bullet dodged and be happy that this means they get to be more aggressive in the portal. It's not a problem.  And I say this not as a guy carrying any water for Rodney Terry.  We will know the immediate future of this program based upon what the portal haul looks like and if we are still getting all our guys that we target and bring in.  

In the meantime go find some 3 or 4 year guys that you can develop. You need 1 or 2 of those guys a year to form the foundation of the program that you add 3-5 portal guys a year into.  

This is going to get hate but it's 100% true. I want almost all the NIL funds going to transfers versus 5 star FR that have very little chance of ever producing at the level necessary to justify return on investment. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is going to get hate but it's 100% true. I want almost all the NIL funds going to transfers versus 5 star FR that have very little chance of ever producing at the level necessary to justify return on investment. 

I can't imagine it getting hate from anyone with an IQ above room temperature. It should be blindingly self obvious.  The point of a college basketball team is to win college basketball games- not be a gap year between high school and the NBA.  The amount of 18 year old boys that can be better than 23 year old men at basketball is very very exceedingly few. It's not worth the effort.  Coaches spend too much time dreaming about what a guy is going to be at 26 (who give a shit) vs projecting what he's going to be for the next 7 months you have a relationship with him.  

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes, good post. I also believe the one and dones for the most part aren’t worth it. However, I’d like to see it as a strategy of the program to not use them, rather than wanting them and not getting them. There needs to be a clear vision for the type of player the program wants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

The only upside to landing one and done 5 stars is that they might help build the Texas brand when they end up in the NBA and then perhaps give back to the program.

YOu know what's more effective for building Texas brand?  winning college basketball games and conference champinships and hanging banners.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Yes, good post. I also believe the one and dones for the most part aren’t worth it. However, I’d like to see it as a strategy of the program to not use them, rather than wanting them and not getting them. There needs to be a clear vision for the type of player the program wants. 

Agreed

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

YOu know what's more effective for building Texas brand?  winning college basketball games and conference champinships and hanging banners.

I don't disagree with you but I think having these players can also help with building the brand, especially among fans who don't follow college football that much. I would rather have no more than 1 or 2 of these players in the roster though.

It's kinda like ivy leagues accepting kids with pedigree. They are not the sharpest tools but they will graduate and become famous and help enhance the school's brand.

Edited by UTEE97

I can’t really argue with the AJ Johnson stuff. A guy going to the NBL months after signing with us was not something I anticipated to be a problem (AJ Johnson is literally the only guy in the country to do it).

Im still very happy about Ron Holland (assuming he doesn’t bounce too) and I don’t regret Dillon Mitchell. But Johnson and Morris were wastes of time and resources.

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Lamelo also had an insanely strong personal brand and pedigree as Lonzo’s bro. AJ is simply going to be forgotten about for a year by the vast majority of the general public. He can still become a lottery pick no doubt, but I just can’t imagine turning down the chance to play college basketball personally. KD was talking on his podcast last month in regards to Bronny that he thinks college is definitely still the move if you want to set a higher floor for your brand, as opposed to disappearing for a year. AJ didn’t want to play school, good luck to him.

Which is wild to me because you only have to pass four classes as a one-and-done player - and all of of them can be easy. Your second semester doesn't even matter.

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Which is wild to me because you only have to pass four classes as a one-and-done player - and all of of them can be easy. Your second semester doesn't even matter.

Do you really have to pass any classes?  Put up a 0.0 in the fall and you would be on scholastic probation in the spring.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

It’s important to remember though, that some of this instability happening is because of the Chris Beard situation. Not sure Brumbaugh or AJ Johnson leave if the coach they committed to wasn’t fired for DV charges. We thought guys might bail in the middle of the season when it first happened. They waited until the season was over instead.

I expect a certain level of instability to be the new normal with the portal, but I don’t necessarily expect it to this extent every single year. 

21 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I can’t really argue with the AJ Johnson stuff. A guy going to the NBL months after signing with us was not something I anticipated to be a problem (AJ Johnson is literally the only guy in the country to do it).

Im still very happy about Ron Holland (assuming he doesn’t bounce too) and I don’t regret Dillon Mitchell. But Johnson and Morris were wastes of time and resources.

I don't really regret Mitchell. I thought he was a good soldier. I'm just not sure he actually made us better or helped us win games.  But seemed like a great teammate.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't really regret Mitchell. I thought he was a good soldier. I'm just not sure he actually made us better or helped us win games.  But seemed like a great teammate.

Agree that Mitchell seemed to accept his role well and played hard.  However, it allowed defenses to guard 4 with 5 players.  Thought he probably got too many minutes.