Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

14 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Wasn't he injured when he showed up, or did that happen afterwards?

Happened in September. But he wasn't a fit from the moment he arrived and let people know about it. It's why he tried to leave the team while he was hurt claiming the coaches were rushing him back and then they had to re-up his NIL deal to get him to stay.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Happened in September. But he wasn't a fit from the moment he arrived and let people know about it. It's why he tried to leave the team while he was hurt claiming the coaches were rushing him back and then they had to re-up his NIL deal to get him to stay.

Damn, alright. Thank you for the info.

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

And then his first game back was in Austin - 12 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, 1-3 BTA. 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Terry and Donewald were instrumental in building this team, and Terry wouldn't have gotten the title he got if he wasn't on the same page as Beard as far as team construction, training, and play style.

That makes sense considering Terry's reputation as a recruiter. I found Beard tremendously underwhelming and don't particularly think he does any better with this season's roster than Terry did. The long-term program building stuff is hard to square for Terry, assuredly, but maybe he's learned?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, RollingPresidential said:

That makes sense considering Terry's reputation as a recruiter. I found Beard tremendously underwhelming and don't particularly think he does any better with this season's roster than Terry did. The long-term program building stuff is hard to square for Terry, assuredly, but maybe he's learned?

LOL

Underwhelmed with the dude who took TT to two Elite 8s and their first Final 4 ever in just three seasons and then had Texas rolling in year two?

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

fans GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Pretty stupid of them, but also a bummer that it couldn't free up Stojakovich from wanting to play for this loser for whatever reason

Dude we're trying to figure out who the coach is going to be next season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

Beard had a top 5 team in year two after winning the first tournament game in nearly a decade for Texas.

How could you interpret that as being underwhelming? I'm honestly curious. How did you possibly reach this conclusion? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

13 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

Chill No GIF by Desus & Mero

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Been posting/lurking since 2014 and this is my first time getting this kind of reaction, I’m honored. 

I did not like the Beard hire in the first place because he played an aesthetically awful brand of basketball at Tech and seemed like an asshole. Last year we were a preseason top 5 team and didn’t look that different than the regular middling dreck that Shaka put out. It was nice to win that tournament game and it was clear that Beard could scout defense well. 

This year, if you recall, we lost to a middling Illinois in the same manner we lost a bunch of dumb games last year - going cold on offense, missing FTs, etc. Then he was gone. The Gonzaga game, in retrospect, seems fluky as hell (at least that it was a blowout) given that was the last time Hunter could hit the broad side of a barn. Was he building something? Maybe. But again, we were preseason top 5-10 in 2021-2022 and celebrated winning one tournament game. Yes the media is dumb and should’ve noticed there was a reason that all of our old transfers hadn’t left for the pros yet, but I feel like we didn’t tolerate that shit from Shaka and should’ve expected better.

Anyways, all I was saying was that I’m not convinced the record is particularly different with Beard vs. Terry this season. Whether Terry can build the program long term seems like a bigger question, and it does seem like Beard had that in a better direction.

If Beard was the one who identified Sir’Jabari Rice, then I take back all my underwhelmingness and am very whelmed. 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:30 AM, RollingPresidential said:

Been posting/lurking since 2014 and this is my first time getting this kind of reaction, I’m honored. 

I did not like the Beard hire in the first place because he played an aesthetically awful brand of basketball at Tech and seemed like an asshole. Last year we were a preseason top 5 team and didn’t look that different than the regular middling dreck that Shaka put out. It was nice to win that tournament game and it was clear that Beard could scout defense well. 

This year, if you recall, we lost to a middling Illinois in the same manner we lost a bunch of dumb games last year - going cold on offense, missing FTs, etc. Then he was gone. The Gonzaga game, in retrospect, seems fluky as hell (at least that it was a blowout) given that was the last time Hunter could hit the broad side of a barn. Was he building something? Maybe. But again, we were preseason top 5-10 in 2021-2022 and celebrated winning one tournament game. Yes the media is dumb and should’ve noticed there was a reason that all of our old transfers hadn’t left for the pros yet, but I feel like we didn’t tolerate that shit from Shaka and should’ve expected better.

Anyways, all I was saying was that I’m not convinced the record is particularly different with Beard vs. Terry this season. Whether Terry can build the program long term seems like a bigger question, and it does seem like Beard had that in a better direction.

If Beard was the one who identified Sir’Jabari Rice, then I take back all my underwhelmingness and am very whelmed. 

We were ranked that high last year because of the respect Beard commands as a coach, not because we had a top 5 roster. He took over a program in decline and immediately turned it around like what he had done several times in the past. You rather take a coach who takes over a team that's rolling and manages to stay the course that season than the coach who can build a program from shambles? 

On 3/9/2023 at 5:51 PM, texifornia said:

Beard was so underwhelming in how he had a top 5 team after two years. Just terrible.

"Had" unfortunately being the operative word.  The other thing that Beard was able to leverage was not only his great year at Tech, but the weight of the University of Texas name in the transfer portal.  Terry has honestly done a great job.  Beard put the pieces and staff into place.  But let's also be honest in that these college teams don't run themselves, and not every coach can get the most out of his players. The potential for this season to become a complete shit show was right there, next to "inherited success."

Like the USA today article said about us, we are fucked no matter what we do coaching.  If Terry wins today notches a Big 12 Tournament Championship over a #1 NCAA seed to do it? Then makes a run in the NCAA's do you shit can the guy?  For the hope of another guy coming in?  The real problem is Terry can't sit in a kids living room, or talk to them as a transfer and assure them he will indeed be the head coach of UT next season.  And that puts him at a disadvantage to his peers, as uncertainty is what folks are selling negatively on the Horns.

The flip side is who do your hire to make a big enough splash and keep the team unified?  The players seem to like Terry.  With the ability to transfer now a staple of recruiting that could work against us if some of the kids love Terry and he gets canned.  They could jump off as easily as they jumped on.

I guess the best case scenario is Terry wins today and makes it to the final four (a dare not say the W word and jinx all hope).  Then uses the talent and his record to get a couple of high profile recruits to give verbals immediately after his contract is formalized.  The other "best" option is to have no decision at all and have our boys lose the next two games they play.  To open the door for the "splash" hire.  I personally would prefer to win another 3+ games.  The fact that the team is doing well without Timmy Allen also says a bit about coaching IMHO.  

Anyhow such is the plight of Texas Basketball coaching decision making, no great moves... and that's Chris Beard's fault unfortunately.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 6

On 3/10/2023 at 11:30 AM, RollingPresidential said:

Holy fuck this dude came back to defend his take. Incredible. 

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Would you go so far as to say that Beard “Baked the cake.” and Rodney Terry’s job has simply been to “Put icing on it.”?

Nope. Simply as it's not that simple. To use your cake analogy- I think Beard got all the ingredients, the mixer on the counter, and preheated the oven... then he took a nap from which he would never awake. There a lot more left to do than icing.  I also understand how folks can disagree with me.

I simply know that team building is a lot more than simply getting talented players.  In fact quite frankly, managing talented players, is a lot harder than most people think.   Again I emphasize, that this could have been a complete cluster fuck, very, very, very easily.  A little doubt and a little selfishness, and right down the rat hole you go. This honestly was the more likely scenario. But everyone is a father to success, so it appeared easy.

Right now after Terry and company nothing the first Big 12 Championship, defeating the defending National Champion twice in a week in a humiliating manor.  There's a lot more than simply an accumulation of talent here my friend.  There is a real team, and not just the players, the team is both the coaches and the players.  You can tell that his group loves each other and most importantly they have played with heart and UNSELFISHLY!  Managing talent to be unselfish and put the team first is quite simply the hardest thing a coach which team. 

At this point I think there really is something to build on with Terry.  I also understand how you can disagree with this assessment.  But I think right now Terry is the heart and soul of this team.  If you were a recruit, would you like to play for a guy who looked to be so loved by his players tonight at the close of the championship game?  I would think so.  I also now think that replacing Terry might have more of a negative than positive effect.  I think you keep Terry and you build upon this success. Fire him and we are back to the chaos IMHO.      flame away....

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 9:11 PM, horn4life said:

Nope. Simply as it's not that simple. To use your cake analogy- I think Beard got all the ingredients, the mixer on the counter, and preheated the oven... then he took a nap from which he would never awake. There a lot more left to do than icing.  I also understand how folks can disagree with me.

I simply know that team building is a lot more than simply getting talented players.  In fact quite frankly, managing talented players, is a lot harder than most people think.   Again I emphasize, that this could have been a complete cluster fuck, very, very, very easily.  A little doubt and a little selfishness, and right down the rat hole you go. This honestly was the more likely scenario. But everyone is a father to success, so it appeared easy.

Right now after Terry and company nothing the first Big 12 Championship, defeating the defending National Champion twice in a week in a humiliating manor.  There's a lot more than simply an accumulation of talent here my friend.  There is a real team, and not just the players, the team is both the coaches and the players.  You can tell that his group loves each other and most importantly they have played with heart and UNSELFISHLY!  Managing talent to be unselfish and put the team first is quite simply the hardest thing a coach which team. 

At this point I think there really is something to build on with Terry.  I also understand how you can disagree with this assessment.  But I think right now Terry is the heart and soul of this team.  If you were a recruit, would you like to play for a guy who looked to be so loved by his players tonight at the close of the championship game?  I would think so.  I also now think that replacing Terry might have more of a negative than positive effect.  I think you keep Terry and you build upon this success. Fire him and we are back to the chaos IMHO.      flame away....

I've warmed up to this way of thinking. That's certainly not what I'd have told you right after we gave up 116 in Moody, but today's a different day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I've warmed up to this way of thinking. That's certainly not what I'd have told you right after we gave up 116 in Moody, but today's a different day. 

That was the second game of Big 12 play after an absolute nail biter vs OU to win by one.  I think a LOT of folks forget those two games starting off Big 12 play.  We could have been not very good, and a lot of folks were nervous back then.  There was still uncertainty about Beard's fate at that point, and the team was not exactly clicking on all cylinders.  Beard was dismissed two days later, and the team was fully Terry's without question for the players from that point on.  

Kiffen:  Hey Chris, coed talent is top notch and only 20% are really crazy

Beard:  yeah but, don't know if you heard, i got this domestic thing in Austin...

Kif:   (after laughing for several minutes)  Yeah yeah man.  You good.  Here's my realtor's number.

Edited by Poolflood
Realtors
  • Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton mentioned today that several players in the portal have reached out to Texas expressing interest. Obviously everything is in a bit of a holding pattern but Gerry said that Texas is set up to get some quality transfers. 

He also said there are good coaches who have expressed interest in the job.  Non NBA. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/17/2023 at 6:19 PM, Post Oak said:

He also said there are good coaches who have expressed interest in the job.  Non NBA. 

HE needed to say there are GREAT coaches... that are interested. 

I was watching Musselman extolling how fantastic Arkansas' come from behind edging of Kansas. Then I thought about how much I questioned Kansas being a #1 after having Texas stop their dicks into the dirt twice in the prior week.  And I did not see hiring Musselman as making a big enough splash to justify dumping Terry.  I still feel that way.If they shit can Terry now the name better be bigger than ANY of the ones I have heard mentioned thus far... a LOT bigger.

I think that once the permanence is established Terry will be able to bring in the quality of kids we need. Terry has been in on a lot of our biggest recruits over the years, and getting the kids here is a huge part of the coaches job.  A lot of folks here think that simply getting the kids to sign and show up is more than half of coaching the team.  basically I feel Terry has earned the job. And now I think perception negatives might way any potential positive of a splash hire to recruits.  Musselman for example isn't a big enough splash IMHO. And I can't really put a name to who would be big enough that I think would say yes to our offer.  

My wild recruiting prediction? That Disu may return as unlikely as a lot of folks think that is.  And that would be a coup to help firm up the foundation.  But hell when you set the UT NCAA scoring record, set by Durant and Aldridge, there is likely a place in the NBA for you.  So it's a long shot, but one I think possible unless we cut down the final nets. 

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

HE needed to say there are GREAT coaches... that are interested. 

I was watching Musselman extolling how fantastic Arkansas' come from behind edging of Kansas. Then I thought about how much I questioned Kansas being a #1 after having Texas stop their dicks into the dirt twice in the prior week.  And I did not see hiring Musselman as making a big enough splash to justify dumping Terry.  I still feel that way.If they shit can Terry now the name better be bigger than ANY of the ones I have heard mentioned thus far... a LOT bigger.

I think that once the permanence is established Terry will be able to bring in the quality of kids we need. Terry has been in on a lot of our biggest recruits over the years, and getting the kids here is a huge part of the coaches job.  A lot of folks here think that simply getting the kids to sign and show up is more than half of coaching the team.  basically I feel Terry has earned the job. And now I think perception negatives might way any potential positive of a splash hire to recruits.  Musselman for example isn't a big enough splash IMHO. And I can't really put a name to who would be big enough that I think would say yes to our offer.  

My wild recruiting prediction? That Disu may return as unlikely as a lot of folks think that is.  And that would be a coup to help firm up the foundation.  But hell when you set the UT NCAA scoring record, set by Durant and Aldridge, there is likely a place in the NBA for you.  So it's a long shot, but one I think possible unless we cut down the final nets. 

I don't think Disu will return, but I am not sanguine about his NBA chances either.