Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If neither guy stayed with Terry at the helm, then it certainly doesn't seem likely they would have stayed if some outside coach was brought in that they had zero relationship with. Likely would have been left in this same situation regardless, especially in Johnson's situation where he straight up told the coaches he didn't want to have to do school.

Now have to backfill through the portal. Still two more weeks for guys to enter. 

Most likely so unless it was a big time name with tons of success in the resume that could have swung the pendulum back. But you're right I believe, the moment our big name coach that is considered one of the top few in the country was fired we lost these dudes. Johnson might have even bailed on Beard. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m hearing it’s another school, not Oregon, and not (just) NIL related. Terry is losing on the recruiting. 

Just say what you're hearing. What's the point of this on an anonymous message board?

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Most likely so unless it was a big time name with tons of success in the resume that could have swung the pendulum back. But you're right I believe, the moment our big name coach that is considered one of the top few in the country was fired we lost these dudes. Johnson might have even bailed on Beard. 

The timing aspect is weird. If they were that turned off by Terry, these type of decisions could and would have been made and announced a while back.

Holland continuing to have other schools in his ear is part of college basketball and is the game that these schools who will do anything to win choose to play. If we just straight up lost him by other schools out-hustling us for a player we had signed then that's on us.

Johnson situation seems more unrelated to all of this and more about his desire to not have to go to the co-op to pick up his textbooks for the semester.

Someone just posted on 24/7, I know, but said supposedly because we got abmas that made him decommit because he wanted to be the “man”. I know that can’t be true but if any of that is true, don’t let the door kick you in the ass. We needed backcourt help! Did he think abmas was going to be taking 60% of shots? I can’t believe I let myself get the slightest excited even after the Bijan BS and then this out of truly nowhere. Or because of wanting to play at arkie? Hope he’s not a one and done then and comes back…but then we’d need a good team and..damnit damnit 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The timing aspect is weird. If they were that turned off by Terry, these type of decisions could and would have been made and announced a while back.

Holland continuing to have other schools in his ear is part of college basketball and is the game that these schools who will do anything to win choose to play. If we just straight up lost him by other schools out-hustling us for a player we had signed then that's on us.

Johnson situation seems more unrelated to all of this and more about his desire to not have to go to the co-op to pick up his textbooks for the semester.

Timing isn't weird at all. As long as he remained publicly committed to Texas he had the leverage on anyone pursuing him in money negotiation. Could play off Texas even if he knew he had zero intention of playing for Terry. As soon as he decommits the leverage lessens a bit. That tells me he already struck a deal and will announce it in a bit

10 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So top 2 incoming recruits are gonzo? Not great. 

I mean Texas just went to the E8 with almost nothing from their top 2 recruits last year. Certain 5-stars are great to have when they buy into the team concept, but building a team centered on a one and done likely leads to a short March.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

I mean Texas just went to the E8 with almost nothing from their top 2 recruits last year. Certain 5-stars are great to have when they buy into the team concept, but building a team centered on a one and done likely leads to a short March.

True but we also already had a veteran roster and added two more portals. This is fully rebuilding the roster with portals that haven’t played together. 

Sign some high-ceiling but raw kids and hope they then show up and develop. Meanwhile, put far more effort and coin into poaching proven guys. Don't fret that much over 5-star HS guys unless we have some unique inside track with them. Even then, don't hold your breath. I see no other fairly stable way to operate these days. 

7 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Reilly was always going to follow beard and take his softball bench chants with him. Donewald is a loss, but if it’s because he’s sour he didn’t get the head job, obviously not a Terry issue. AJ Johnson is less college ready than Morris was. Shouldn’t be a shock that a kid who went to Kanye’s fake high school doesn’t want to go to college classes. Mitchell has known for months that Holland was coming in and getting starter mins + Brock returning. Morris has had one foot out the door since January. Considering he’ll likely end up at DePaul or Ole Miss, that should tell you what the cbb world thinks of him. 

Some of that hurts us, but it’s been largely inevitable events clear to see for months now if you’ve paid the slightest bit of attention 

LOL, more rewriting history. if losing aj, donewald, and mitchell was so clearly telegraphed for months then how come nobody reported on any of it? why was everyone hoping we'd retain donewald? how did nobody report on aj leaving until it happened? why didn't gerry tell everyone that mitchell was leaving and not coming back? you guys will just never stop rewriting history to make it fit your current narrative. it's crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

"Hiring Terry would maintain the continuity.  We get to keep our top players who have eligibility left and keep the 5* recruits as well because they love Terry. We can't take a chance with a new coach and risk losing these guys. Also, Gerry thinks all the assistants will be back." Wasn't that the narrative?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

lolololol this is just great. it's like god is up in heaven just taking a huge dump on all of the loud mouth shit talkers who've been beating their chests and starting shit with fellow UT hoops fans who've had the audacity to react appropriately to bad news. the part that sucks is that those of us who've been reacting appropriately to said bad news are standing right next to all of these idiotic shit talkers and getting the diarrhea storm in top of our heads as well. are we allowed to be upset yet??????? 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

lolololol this is just great. it's like god is up in heaven just taking a huge dump on all of the loud mouth shit talkers who've been beating their chests and starting shit with fellow UT hoops fans who've had the audacity to react appropriately to bad news. the part that sucks is that those of us who've been reacting appropriately to said bad news are standing right next to all of these idiotic shit talkers and getting the diarrhea storm in top of our heads as well. are we allowed to be upset yet??????? 

This guy seems like he’s doing well

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

"Hiring Terry would maintain the continuity.  We get to keep our top players who have eligibility left and keep the 5* recruits as well because they love Terry. We can't take a chance with a new coach and risk losing these guys. Also, Gerry thinks all the assistants will be back." Wasn't that the narrative?

i'm certain that a band of sunshine pumpers with their heads up their own asses will be in here shortly to inform you that your memory is 100% wrong and that everything is going according to plan and that you're just a bad fan for not being happy about what's happening with this program. 

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Now that’s legitimately bad. I hope he still gives us a chance like he says, but I don’t think you decommit if that’s really true.

oh NOW stuff is bad. NOW we're allowed to react in an unhappy manner. i guess i didn't get the memo that said you have to wait for the 15th piece of bad news before you show any sort of concern. 🙄 

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I think the narrative was "even if he loses everyone we can still rebuild through the portal" but I can't be positive.

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Couldn’t even get 24 hours of happiness 😑

we didn't get 24 minutes of happiness with the abmas news before an entire gaggle of y'all turned it on it's head by talking a bunch of baseless shit to fellow UT fans for simply having done the exact same thing you're doing right now. so what the hell are you even talking about? 

Edited by shadow_operative