Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

disu might be the key to our season. when injured/coming off injuries he's been a non factor; when healthy he's been an absolute force, with a unique style of play that opposing teams and players aren't used to defending. our ceiling drops significantly if he isn't playing at or around 100%. 

Yep, don’t bring him back until he’s 100% 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some notes from Gerry on the scrimmage 

Some notes on the scrimmage …

First, Texas lacked the needed rim protection and bigs - obviously. Shedrick as a rim protector and long armed presence will be key defensively. Was told Texas felt pretty good about the scrimmage against a likely NCAA Tournament team without Disu and Shedrick. 

Second, Chendall Weaver and/or Chris Johnson need to come on a little right now. Both have the ability, but both have to get where Texas needs them to be sooner rather than later. Team defense here. Weaver guards the ball well, however.

Third, Texas was up 65-64 at the under eight timeout area of the scrimmage … then hit a four minute scoring drought and Colorado took control. Texas was up the entire way until that point.

Texas scoring 78 against a quality opponent without Disu or Shedrick, and Abmas going 4-17 is a very good sign offensively for the Horns. Abmas’ 4-17 included 3-4 clean looks he normally knocks down.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not to state the obvious, but this team needs Shedrick and Disu badly. We should get by fine the first few weeks without them but we would get murdered in the paint against any team with a pulse and strong inside presence.

Loved what I saw from Mitchell though on both ends tonight. He’s going to make a big jump.

We are going to lean heavily on the Hunter/Abmas duo offensively but both seem up for the challenge.

Texas forced up too many threes in the first half, only making 3-13 and only attempting 3 first half FTs.  Obviously, not going to get a lot of fouls if you can't get it in the paint without Shedrick and Disu.  St Ed's hit 5-11 from three and 4-6 FT in the first half.   

Texas shot 62.5% in the second half, 4-10 from three and 8-9 FT.  Nice to see those RT halftime adjustments continuing. 

Mitchell did look quite good and confident, shooting 7-10. Abmas needs to be a bit more efficient (7-16 and 2-8 from three), but he will get better, more wide open shots once our post players are back.

Hunter looked like November/December 2022 Hunter - 7-11 from the floor, 3-4 from three, 5-6 FT, 4 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 blocks.  Beautiful.  Love it.  No notes.

I liked what I saw from Horton and Onyema.  Don't like a starting lineup with Brock, but we did what we had to do without Shedrick and Disu.  We are going to get destroyed by UConn/Indiana/Louisville if at least Shedrick is not back by then. 

We played exactly like it was our first real "game" (because scrimmages are usually weirdly formatted), with a bunch of new players, and missing Shedrick and Disu. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Here were the stats from last night if anyone is interested:

image.thumb.png.b1e76f1c0efbe3011beff392bcd5a73e.png

Onyema is fine for providing some interior toughness off the bench, but he shouldn't be getting more than 10-12 minutes once Shedrick and Disu are back.  Replacing his 52% FT with Disu and Shedrick (both ~80%) will be big.  They are also much better defenders and MUCH bigger threats both inside and outside.

Abmas may take some time to get going, but he is one of the best volume distance shooters in the history of college basketball.  There will be days when he goes 2 of 8.  And then there will be days when he goes 7 of 12.  He has hit 5+ 3s in 20 games over the last two years.  He is also going to murder teams at the line.  It isn't uncommon for him to go 10/10.  In one game last year he went 15/17 at the line.  

I also don't hate Brock starting.  I want to see him getting 20+ mpg.  I'm a consistent Brock stan and feel like he is a criminally underrated winner, even by our own fanbase. 

I also think Hunter has the potential to be a 1st team All-Big 12 type player - and he played like it last night.  I really think he was banged up a lot more than was communicated last year. 

Mitchell looked like an animal as the game progressed.  HIs athleticism can't be denied.  He has the chance to be the type of long, athletic small forward that we haven't had at UT since Jordan Hamilton (who we forget was a 2nd team All-American, but that is a different topic).  I can't wait to watch his development.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

Onyema is fine for providing some interior toughness off the bench, but he shouldn't be getting more than 10-12 minutes once Shedrick and Disu are back.  Replacing his 52% FT with Disu and Shedrick (both ~80%) will be big.  They are also much better defenders and MUCH bigger threats both inside and outside.

The big point too is that Disu is key to unlocking Abmas. 

Abmas is best in pick and roll with a big that can shoot. We don't really have that without Disu. If we put Onyema or Mitchell in PnR they are just going to help on Abmas and not cover our bigs as shooters. 

Shedrick should also help unlock Abmas. He hasn't done much from 3 in his career, but he is 79% FT and 67% 2P%. I will be surprised if he doesn't have a decent midrange game. He only shot seven 3s in his three years at Virginia, and I recall that being part of the reason he left.

Is there a quickie primer for someone that doesn’t want to read 67 pages and only loosely follows hoops except for bigger conf games and the tournament?  Why is disu out?  Did we pick up a transfer or a freshman we expect to be a star this year?  Did we lose anyone big to the transfer portal?  Any of the multiyear guys we are expecting a big step forward from?

Edited by UT_OB1

24 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Seriously?

OK. Why not.  We had a tremendous off season. We picked up:

• Max Abmas - All-Region PG/SG from Oral Roberts who took them to the Sweet 16. One of the best 3-point scorers in NCAA history. Could be All-Big 12 or better.
  • Kadin Shdrick - Big guy form Virginia. Multi year starter. Should be a significant upgrade on defense. Also 80% FT shooter. He may be the missing piece we have been needing on both ends.
  • Ithiel Hunter - Multi year starting combo guard from UCF. Another decent range scorer and FT shooter. 
  • Chendall Weaver - All-Freshman player from UTA. Yet another solid range scorer and defender.  Will be a big piece of the puzzle NEXT year. This year will probably get <15 mpg.
  • Ze'Rik Onyema - Big guy from UTEP who Terry originally recruited. Muscular enforcer type player who will regulate off the bench

Those are the big pieces.  Dillon Mitchell withdrew from the NBA draft and should be a nightmare for teams at the 3/4.  We also return Tyrese Hunter who will likely be the team leader at PG. He has All-Big 12 or better upside as well.

Finally we return Dylan Disu who was playing at an All-American level when he went down in March. We will likely get him back in December.

Oh and Brock Cunningham returns as well. The best glue guy in the country.

That's all I got from memory.

No mention of Perryman?! I'm disappointed in you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Horton was such a great late addition. 

We have 2 playmaking/scoring guards in Abmas and Hunter which will create a ton of open looks for Horton. Horton with 17 points tonight because he was getting wide-open looks off those 2. 

IT Horton’s debut reminded me of J’Covan Brown’s debut: assertive, aggressive, confident, flashy; he was playing like he was at The Rucker at times out there. i’m really looking forward to seeing more and more of him as the season goes along.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think this has the potential to be our best lineup. 

Abmas, Hunter, Horton, Cunningham, and Mitchell. You can run 5 out on offense and really space the court. Tons of defensive flexibility and ability to apply on ball pressure. 

That will be a fun lineup for sure, but I don't see any way that Disu isn't in our best lineup if he comes back and plays like he is capable of.  He will demand double teams anywhere near the paint, which will allow everyone else to bomb.

Disu is also close to a 80% FT shooter.  Mitchell.... isn't. 

I do like the idea of playing Mitchell and Cunningham as our small ball 4/5 at times throughout the game.  Would love to really push the ball with such a lineup and hit corner 3s off the break (with Mitchell crashing).  Would also enjoy seeing us press with a lineup like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

For those who went to the game Monday, who is the 300 pound rapper without a shirt in the introduction video?  I could not understand anything he was saying other than the word Texas. 

sounds like BigXThaPlug. he’s got a song that says “Texas” over and over that we’ve using for our athletics this year. the visual is…not appealing.

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

sounds like BigXThaPlug. he’s got a song that says “Texas” over and over that we’ve using for our athletics this year. the visual is…not appealing.

After searching, yes, this is the guy.  I'm glad they moved on from McConaughey singing, but I don't want to see this another 17-18 times either.

32 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

For those who went to the game Monday, who is the 300 pound rapper without a shirt in the introduction video?  I could not understand anything he was saying other than the word Texas. 

Bitch, he's from Texas. I'm guessing not the University of Texas, but he has some drank and some weapons so "Stretch 'Em Horns!"

Lyrics:
Yea 
Aye 

Bitch I’m from Texas 
Where we still ride in swangas and put diamonds in our necklace
Pour drank inside my lemonade til it look like a Pepsi 
See I come from the D where we got shags and we be flexin 
If you ain’t from my state then you should know don’t fuck with Texas 
Aye 

We always strapped we keep our weapons 
My momma from the H she slowed it down for me at seven 
Used to think Pimp C was a God before he went to heaven