Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

My minutes distribution would be:

Starters:

• Abmas: 30+
  • Hunter: 26
  • Mitchell: 30  (20 min at SM, 10 min at PF)
  • Disu: 30+  (Mostly at PF)
  • Shedrick: 25 

Bench

• Cunningham: 18
  • Weaver: 20 (15 min subbing for Abmas/Hunter and another 5 min with 3 guards)
  • Onyema: 12 (mainly subbing for Shedrick)
  • Everybody else:  The remaining ~10 min

13 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I didn’t say fire him at 9-4 and he hasn’t beat anyone with a pulse in those 9 games. But if we end up 14-17 and miss the tourney then why waste another year? Because we have too? Because media will make us? It’s one thing to hire a new coach after a search and to give him 3 years but this was an assistant who inherited a team and kept it going. He didn’t take it to another level. That team was going to the EE with beard and probably would have advanced had he not fucked it up. I feel like this is different. From the EE to not making the tourney is worth firing. Or let’s do it again next year and do it then I guess. 

Are you contributing to the buyout?  Also, firing a dude in college basketball that went to the Elite Eight the year prior after the previous coach was fired in disgrace isn’t the best of looks. 

21 hours ago, Red Five said:

Hiring Terry took a huge leap of faith. If this season goes the way I feel like it's going to go (and how Andy Katz feels like it's gonna go) then we need to cut bait at the end of this year. I understand though that that is very unlikely to happen. At which point, welcome back to years 2 thru 6 of the Shaka experience.

Fuck you Beard.

hello-darkness-my-old-friend-simon-garfu

1 hour ago, MrX said:

Are you contributing to the buyout?  Also, firing a dude in college basketball that went to the Elite Eight the year prior after the previous coach was fired in disgrace isn’t the best of looks. 

Who gives a fuck about “looks”. That was my entire point. We care more about how it looks than anything else here at always PC Texas. Maybe he will turn it around but given the schedule i will be surprised if he makes a run in the tourney or at this point if we even make it at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Who gives a fuck about “looks”.

The guy doing the hiring? 

It is extremely bad optics to fire a coach 1 year into a contract without a big scandal off the court.  Period.  You're basically advertising to future candidates that if they don't perform to some specific expectation in year 1, you're out.  No one wants that job.

Stop making it about being "PC." You sound like a fucking dumbass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

What mess does Terry need to clean up? Maybe I missed something…

I mean, does having your only two high school recruits, both five stars, choosing not to enroll weeks before they are supposed to arrive on campus qualify as a bit of a mess?

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The guy doing the hiring? 

It is extremely bad optics to fire a coach 1 year into a contract without a big scandal off the court.  Period.  You're basically advertising to future candidates that if they don't perform to some specific expectation in year 1, you're out.  No one wants that job.

Stop making it about being "PC." You sound like a fucking dumbass. 

You and I both know it’s PC but ok. Either way this is a different situation. Handing him the keys to the Porsche as a fill in from a coach that got fired mid season is different than Texas doing a coaching search with a firm and we decided to hire Terry then fire him after 1 year. It’s apples and oranges. But go ahead and act like it’s the same thing. Just because you say it’s not the PC thing to do keeping the coach that held the season together and made the EE when we were already going to the EE with beard or probably further. We hired him because of the way it looked from the outside. Texas can’t handle not being liked by the outside. And I hate to break it to you but the whole “you’ll scare off another coach” is a myth. Great coaches know they can turn things around and getting rid of Terry in year 1 of a situation unlike any other school wouldn’t scare off any high level coach. You sound like a dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I mean, does having your only two high school recruits, both five stars, choosing not to enroll weeks before they are supposed to arrive on campus qualify as a bit of a mess?

That’s not a mess, that’s just an unfortunate situation. 

Mess implies there’s shit going on inside the program (besides Beard) that we didn’t know about. 

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

My minutes distribution would be:

Starters:

• Abmas: 30+
  • Hunter: 26
  • Mitchell: 30  (20 min at SM, 10 min at PF)
  • Disu: 30+  (Mostly at PF)
  • Shedrick: 25 

Bench

• Cunningham: 18
  • Weaver: 20 (15 min subbing for Abmas/Hunter and another 5 min with 3 guards)
  • Onyema: 12 (mainly subbing for Shedrick)
  • Everybody else:  The remaining ~10 min

I don’t love that starting lineup because we are starting two guys who pose no threat from the perimeter.

Also, are we sure that pairing Shedrick and Disu together for extended stretches is the best option? Jury is probably still out on that.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

That’s not a mess, that’s just an unfortunate situation. 

Mess implies there’s shit going on inside the program (besides Beard) that we didn’t know about. 

Well yeah, the mess is our head coach ended up in an orange jumpsuit the morning of a game and lost his job, setting off a chain of events that included the unfortunate situation you referenced amongst a few other things (assistant turnover, new S&C coach, etc).

I think you might be reading a little too much into the mess comment.

16 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That team was going to the EE with beard and probably would have advanced had he not fucked it up.

How exactly did RT fuck it up?  He didn't get the hottest player on the team (and perhaps the tournament) injured.

EDIT:  my bad, I think I misread your post.  I thought you were saying Terry fucked it up, but it was Beard.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

How exactly did RT fuck it up?  He didn't get the hottest player on the team (and perhaps the tournament) injured.

Seriously. Disu getting hurt was not RT’s fault. Carr being gimpy against Miami after taking a hit to the thigh was also not RT’s fault 

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean everyone knows Terry isn't gonna be the guy but he didn't do anything really.  He won every game he could and Texas offered him a contract.

This is all Beard and UT's fault.  Beard had a couple of flags based on rumor mill but my guess is we assumed dude was almost 50, was getting what appeared to be his dream job and would act appropriately.

the only mess is you have is he wasn't the head coach all of last year for recruiting purposes and would have been viewed as the interim by all recruits. Again not his fault.

I get that Texas looks at public perception being very important and in any business at the end of the day all you have is your reputation but in this case I wish Texas was less worried about the "PR hit" of not hiring Terry.  I can give CDC a pass if he went to 3 or so HC's on his list and they all said no then I get it but if he didn't even try that's a problem.  There is no world where it is automatically Rodney Terry's job, just like it wouldn't be Kyle Flood's job if Sark fell off the wagon and got a DWI and we ended up top 10.

29 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I get that Texas looks at public perception being very important and in any business at the end of the day all you have is your reputation but in this case I wish Texas was less worried about the "PR hit" of not hiring Terry.  I can give CDC a pass if he went to 3 or so HC's on his list and they all said no then I get it but if he didn't even try that's a problem.  There is no world where it is automatically Rodney Terry's job, just like it wouldn't be Kyle Flood's job if Sark fell off the wagon and got a DWI and we ended up top 10.

It leaked out at the end that Sean Miller (per Gerry) was one of the primary options they were looking at. The dude we blew out in the tournament. 

Again, people can pretend all they want that there were all these other great options out there that we passed up. We weren't getting Musselman or Oats or Sampson so once you put the pipedreams aside and consider where we were at in the CBB calendar when the season ended (middle of portal/HS recruiting, trying to keep our own guys out of the draft/portal, etc) and the results of the season, the options were not plentiful. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Last night was a good win.  I temporarily misplaced my pitchfork. We're projected to go 7-11.   Can we make it 8-10?   What a ride.

I think 8-10 is borderline but doable.  IMO, it depends on who the 8 are, how many bid stealers there are, and how many Big 12 teams also end up 8-10.

41 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It leaked out at the end that Sean Miller (per Gerry) was one of the primary options they were looking at. The dude we blew out in the tournament. 

Again, people can pretend all they want that there were all these other great options out there that we passed up. We weren't getting Musselman or Oats or Sampson so once you put the pipedreams aside and consider where we were at in the CBB calendar when the season ended (middle of portal/HS recruiting, trying to keep our own guys out of the draft/portal, etc) and the results of the season, the options were not plentiful. 

Yep.  If you were gonna hire the guy RT just whipped in the tourney like o said the narrative would’ve looked really bad 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  If you were gonna hire the guy RT just whipped in the tourney like o said the narrative would’ve looked really bad 

he got caught in the corruption scandal. I wouldn't expect them to hire Miller over Terry regardless of the outcome of the game.  That said, Miller's coaching record is light years beyond Terry.

• Hook 'Em 1

we’re two max abmas game winners away from being in serious trouble. one of them was against louisville (one of two power conference teams with zero wins vs the kenpom top 200), and on the other one abmas traveled but the refs swallowed their whistle. very fine margins so far this year. 10-5 (0-2) with a loss to louisville and zero notable wins sees us with a drastically different feeling and outlook than the one we have today. we’re gonna need disu to keep playing like an All American if we’re going to be competitive in this league. we’re honestly fortunate to be where we are right now.

Edited by shadow_operative

That cuts both ways.  We have also been unlucky enough to have our best player out or on a minutes restriction for the first 40% of the year.  With Disu healthy we likely wouldn't have needed Abmas' heroics vs. Louisville. And we likely beat UConn as well.  And maybe we beat Tech too if he gets 34 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's just unfortunate Cook was out so long for LSU or that might potentially be a quad 1 win. It's already a quad 2 win now on a neutral court. 

Maybe they can stack some more wins and that becomes a quad 1 win. 

I think it will a borderline Q1 win by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Also, in Big 12 typical fashion, the bottom feeders are actually all pretty decent.  

I'd agree aside from WVU, they are stinky AF.

That's an awful loss for whatever Big 12 team they inevitably beat.

Edited by Brian Fantana

On 1/10/2024 at 8:31 AM, Pancho said:

What mess does Terry need to clean up? Maybe I missed something…

Didn't you hear? We went 7-11 in conference play already. Missed the tournament and everything.

There's always next year, I guess...

• Haha 1

Anybody know what time the Baylor game in 8 days is set for tip-off?  Site shows 11am or 1pm, but it's strange they wouldn't have announced it by now.  Have some family in town and wanted to plan for the game.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Anybody know what time the Baylor game in 8 days is set for tip-off?  Site shows 11am or 1pm, but it's strange they wouldn't have announced it by now.  Have some family in town and wanted to plan for the game.  Thanks.

ESPN says it's at 11 for whatever that's worth

• Hook 'Em 1

Neither athletic dept. has that down yet, but I do see it on the flagship website, so thank you.  Gonna take my BiL to the game and I guess some breakfast tacos and get him liquored up at 9:00a for the early tip.  

Sucks that it'll be so early that we won't have a raucous crowd but all students will be back on campus so that should help.  Holiday break games are a fucking beating, even in the Moody Center with so little noise.  

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So why does bracketology have us out of the tourney with an 11-3 record and the aggies in with a 9-6 record? Seems kinda dumb. For the record, I think both teams will miss the tourney. 

Probably because we haven’t beaten anyone in the top 25? I could be wrong on that but what’s our best win? LSU? 

30 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Probably because we haven’t beaten anyone in the top 25? I could be wrong on that but what’s our best win? LSU? 

our five best wins and their kenpom rank:

32 Cincinnati 

83 LSU

134 UNC Greensboro

180 UT Arlington

186 Louisville

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

Isn’t the whole point of bracketology to project how things currently stand? It shouldn’t be factoring in future wins or losses. It should a ‘if today was selection Sunday’ projection.

Regardless, it is dinging Texas too hard right now. The KenPom #33 team last year was ironically Texas A&M who ended up a 7 seed with a joke of a non conference schedule.

We currently have a higher NET and KenPom rating than several schools I see projected safely in the tournament, including Gonzaga, Ole Miss and Memphis (who is somehow a 5 seed right now).

Just now, shadow_operative said:

was not prepared for this:

15 Iowa State

4 point loss to Houston (it is aggy after all)

39 Ohio State

46 SMU

113 Penn State 

Better wins than i thought. But how does 6 losses and a loss to common opponent LSU end with them being ahead of us when we have 3? All of our losses are to tourney teams. Im confused. 

• Like 1