Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

14 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Hopefully Billy Donovan is available in the next year or 2. He is a college basketball coaching wizard.

Billy Donovan hasn't been in college basketball in a decade and only Izzo and Calipari make more than he does currently. He will not be the savior. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I'm going to tomorrow's game in Lawrence. Anyone who's been there have any touristy or food/drink recs out there?

The Big Biscuit. we went with two of my former students who were KU students at the time, and they got us reservations/checked in online beforehand which was a good idea, cuz the joint was jumping, and understandably so. the food:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7fg0i4aolexpo3vw88f

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The Big Biscuit. we went with two of my former students who were KU students at the time, and they got us reservations/checked in online beforehand which was a good idea, cuz the joint was jumping, and understandably so. the food:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7fg0i4aolexpo3vw88f

https://bigbiscuit.com/the-big-biscuit-menu/

Yeah, that place looks delicious.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 10:21 AM, Herpa Derpa said:

Billy Donovan hasn't been in college basketball in a decade and only Izzo and Calipari make more than he does currently. He will not be the savior. 

If Donovan not available, TJ Otzelberger from Iowa State would be a solid choice. His work there is damn impressive 

Next year is going to be a riot. Was looking over the roster and Terry is either going to have to go wild in the transfer portal or we might be looking for a new coach early in conference play. If as expected Mitchell goes pro the only player with any significant playing time and experience is Hunter. I guess you could say Weaver as well at this point. We have 3 talented Freshman coming in. We have Chris Johnson as our only recruited Freshman who has looked fairly lost every time he has been on the court. 

image.png.73412fa229c0d747415f6f1c85eb2193.png

• Prepare your anus 1

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Next year is going to be a riot. Was looking over the roster and Terry is either going to have to go wild in the transfer portal or we might be looking for a new coach early in conference play. If as expected Mitchell goes pro the only player with any significant playing time and experience is Hunter. I guess you could say Weaver as well at this point. We have 3 talented Freshman coming in. We have Chris Johnson as our only recruited Freshman who has looked fairly lost every time he has been on the court. 

image.png.73412fa229c0d747415f6f1c85eb2193.png

@MoJames - basketball expert

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

@MoJames - basketball expert

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wow that is breaking news and analysis 

Oh I've just been avoiding basketball since the West Virginia loss. Was watching an entertaining game between Houston and Baylor and popped over to the recruiting world to see what we were up to. As expected, we have plenty of assholes on the website, good job guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Oh I've just been avoiding basketball since the West Virginia loss. Was watching an entertaining game between Houston and Baylor and popped over to the recruiting world to see what we were up to. As expected, we have plenty of assholes on the website, good job guys.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

The new reality of college basketball is that unless you have a bunch of HS studs coming in, you will have to hit the portal every year. No matter how this season went down, next year was going to have to be a big portal year due to Holland/Johnson leaving so late in the cycle and having to replace their spots with portal players for this year.

Writing off next season is extremely premature until we at least find out who the portal players are that will be coming here.

• Hook 'Em 1

#7 offense and #9 defense in conference play. defensive metrics are really bad. our drastic fall off in defensive performance and statistics which immediately coincided with RT’s replacing of beard should have been a crystal clear sign that this would be a weakness. that defense went from a swarming, ferocious defense to “merely” being really good defense overnight.

that was a talented, senior laden, well drilled team of chris beard’s players. those boys played some inspired D during their postseason run, but outside of that 5-6 game stretch of great D (particularly great perimeter D) our defense has been ineffectual and uninspired under RT (particularly our perimeter D). he needs to bring in someone to design and implement a successful defense next year or he’ll be gone.

Edited by shadow_operative

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

#7 offense and #9 defense in conference play. defensive metrics are really bad. our drastic fall off in defensive performance and statistics which immediately coincided with RT’s replacing of beard should have been a crystal clear sign that this would be a weakness. that defense went from a swarming, ferocious defense to “merely” being really good defense overnight.

that was a talented, senior laden, well drilled team of chris beard’s players. those boys played some inspired D during their postseason run, but outside of that 5-6 game stretch of great D (particularly great perimeter D) our defense has been ineffectual and uninspired under RT (particularly our perimeter D). he needs to bring in someone to design and implement a successful defense next year or he’ll be gone.

and so it begins...

as of today who would be our first game in the Big 12 Tourney?

On 2/23/2024 at 2:19 PM, Saint Austin said:

I'm going to tomorrow's game in Lawrence. Anyone who's been there have any touristy or food/drink recs out there?

how was your trip (aside from the ass kicking)? we lost in OT when i went, but we still had a blast. something unique about the Phog is that it has ~the same number of seats as the FEC, no upper deck, and no AC. the sun was shining and the weather was beautiful when we walked in. it got hotter than shit while we were in there with the lack of AC and the giant windows just blasting you with sun. then when we left after the senior day festivities it was like 40 degrees and 35 mph winds. defintely a unique game day experience.

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

because duh:

IMG_9385.jpeg

I’m not even sure where this is from. It’s not on ESPN or CBS, and in fact, CBS has us missing the tournament as of this morning. 

Florida is sneaky good. Depending on their path, they could be a S16 team.

• Hook 'Em 1

how was your trip (aside from the ass kicking)? we lost in OT when i went, but we still had a blast. something unique about the Phog is that it has ~the same number of seats as the FEC, no upper deck, and no AC. the sun was shining and the weather was beautiful when we walked in. it got hotter than shit while we were in there with the lack of AC and the giant windows just blasting you with sun. then when we left after the senior day festivities it was like 40 degrees and 35 mph winds. defintely a unique game day experience.

Wasn’t directed at me but we went and had a great time. Went to the wheel and bullwinkles but didn’t make it to the hawk.

Loud as fuck and great atmosphere. Museum was cool. Campus was surprisingly hilly. Football stadium was basically leveled.

Glad I went.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

They have Ole Miss in at 76 NET and us out at 41 NET

That doesnt make much sense to me

Rutgers in 2022 is the lowest rated team (#77) to make the tournament since NET was introduced. And they did so because they had 6 Q1 wins. 

Edited by Hookem2147

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ole miss has a realistic chance to finish the season 3-1, Texas has a realistic chance to finish 1-3. that would be my guess.

This has always bothered me. Is bracketology not supposed to be what it would look like if the tournament started today? They shouldn't be looking into crystal balls and factoring in future games.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

It was great (aside from the ass kicking). Definitely the best basketball experience I've ever been a part of. Really cool history and aside from a hand full of Horns down, fans mostly polite and welcoming. No confrontations whatsoever. Reminded me a lot of the Notre Dame football game in '15. I knew we had a down year then, but didn't want to miss would could've been my last chance to see us play at an iconic location. I won't be in a hurry to see us at Rupp until this program gets its shit together.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’m not even sure where this is from. It’s not on ESPN or CBS, and in fact, CBS has us missing the tournament as of this morning. 

Florida is sneaky good. Depending on their path, they could be a S16 team.

Jerry Palm sucks at his job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas win probability according to ESPN computers

32% at Tech

89% vs Okie St

23% at Baylor

68% vs OU sucks

Ole Miss win probability according to ESPN computers

16% vs Alabama

53% at Mizzou

29% at Georgia

52% vs A&M

So no, "Ole Miss has a realistic chance at 3-1 while Texas has a realistic chance at 1-3" is not the logical explanation here. 

Edited by MotownHorn

49 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

what is lowest seed for a major conference at large in the last 10 years or so?  As I recall usually the major conf at large stop at 11 but maybe someone was a 12.

2021 Oregon St was a 12
2013 had 3 P5 teams as a 12 - Ole Miss, Cal and Oregon
1999 OU was a 13

• Hook 'Em 1

The season could still swing wildly with 4 games to play.  Based on the Massey probabilities:

• 0-4: 3%
  • 1-3: 20%
  • 2-2: 45%
  • 3-1: 25%
  • 4-0: 7%

At 8-10 we definitely get in, regardless of the Big 12 tourney.  At 7-11, it is definitely dicey.  Probably no better than 50/50 in that case and we would definitely have some work to do in the Big 12 tourney. Still, if those odds hold that gives us over 80% chance to make the tourney.  At that point, we could bow out in round 1 or make a deep run.

• Hook 'Em 1