2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Anyone else a little worried about Drew Gilbert not adjusting well right now to AA pitching? He's 0-for-9 in his last two games and his slash line for the month of July is .179/.258/.357 in 28 ABs.

In 164 AB at CC he has 6 HRs and 3 doubles with a .663 OPS. He was tearing up high A pitching but hasn't had great results with the jump to AA. 

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Anyone else a little worried about Drew Gilbert not adjusting well right now to AA pitching? He's 0-for-9 in his last two games and his slash line for the month of July is .179/.258/.357 in 28 ABs.

In 164 AB at CC he has 6 HRs and 3 doubles with a .663 OPS. He was tearing up high A pitching but hasn't had great results with the jump to AA. 

He did have an elbow issue for a bit at AA where he was only playing DH so those stats are a bit misleading. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I'm aware but how many games was that an issue?

Long time like 20-30. Go look at his line and he was a DH for almost the whole month. 
I ran his numbers about a week ago just when he was playing CF and he had like a 105 ops+. Wasn’t great, but was above average (barely) e-bike he’s 2 years young for the league. This hiccup probably takes away any change of him being called up this year- which was slight. I think 7/1/2024 so he’s not super 2 is my bet for when he will be ready and it will make sense to call him up. 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm at a family wedding this weekend in the big city of Abilene (ugh) so can't watch any games for a few days. Glad to see a win coming out of the break. 

MLB streams is your friend...

If you should be so inclined.

Astros signed first-round selection INF Brice Matthews.

He’ll earn a signing bonus of $2,478,200, which is under the slot value of $2,880,700 for the 28th pick. The 21-year-old shortstop possesses a high floor and is expected to be on the fast track to the big leagues.

i didn't follow that closely this year, but were we able to take advantage of signing anyone under slot?  did we money-whip anyone away from college?

truly amazing that we did that for several years before every other team was like, wait, this might work.  all those charts and graphs exist for a reason.

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i didn't follow that closely this year, but were we able to take advantage of signing anyone under slot?  did we money-whip anyone away from college?

truly amazing that we did that for several years before every other team was like, wait, this might work.  all those charts and graphs exist for a reason.

The only 2 bonuses announced so far were the the 1at and 9th round with both being underslot. The big fish over slot candidate is a 19th round OFer committed to FSU.

22 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

The only 2 bonuses announced so far were the the 1at and 9th round with both being underslot. The big fish over slot candidate is a 19th round OFer committed to FSU.

No.  The big overslot spends are the 11th and 12th rounders.  The pick in the 19th round was insurance in case one of Ochoa or Huezo back out of their agreement.  Ochoa is already signed and I would guess his bonus is between $700k and $1.1M.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I’ll never tire of Gina’s “f the haters” tweets….  But can’t help but wander if that’s really Jeff. 
will buy the book she (he?) references will come one day in one of the replies. 

• Hook 'Em 2