2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Win tomorrow gives us the season series W 

or just win one of the remaining four

56 minutes ago, WBT said:

Kalas just said we haven't been in 1st all year.  We were tied for 1st in late April or early May for a day or two.

no we've never been in first place

In that final shot after Singleton  clears Home Plate is the dude in the Vegas uni the bat boy or Engleberg’s grandson?

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, Gourmand said:

If Houston doesn’t acquire a bat and doesn’t feel the need to carry a 3rd catcher, I think Singleton should be the 13th position player on the playoff roster as a lefthanded bench bat who represents a real HR threat every time he comes up.  And how dope of a storyline would it be for him to hit a game winning extra inning HR in the Series.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Dubon slander will not be tolerated. He’s been nothing but good in replacement of a Hall of Famer. You watch it bucko!

I mean he has actually been horrible since he has been playing for Altuve's most recent injury 

since July 4th - OPS has dropped from .730 to .664  -  which seems very hard to accomplish in 3 weeks 

avg from .288 to .265 

obp from .314 to .289 

Not sure what his OPS+ on 7/4, but I think it was around 100....now it is 83

All while batting 1st.  Hit the bench bruh

He has finally regressed back to pretty much his career numbers.  

8 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

we need Dubon to bat second. 

SMH GIFs on GIPHY - Be Animated

Interesting trade prospective article on The Athletic today. This is a nice cross section view of the top 10 teams by position, and just look at the greens on some of these teams... I think this sort of assessment from stats and numbers is a bit blind to the Astros real issues, as it's not a Catcher that they need, they just need to start Diaz and bench Maldy. Although, it's hard to believe that there is a statistically worse starting catcher out there besides Maldonado with his .171 average, but apparently there is.

Some of the names they mention that may be traded before the deadline are Joe Kelly, Tommy Phan, Lance Lynn, Dylan Cease, Lucas Giolito, Blake Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez, Marcus Stroman, Jordan Montgomery, Michael Lorenzen, Mark Canha, Randall Grichuk and Tim Anderson. It seems most sports writers think the White Sox are going to have a firesale this week. 

https://theathletic.com/4717171/2023/07/26/trade-deadline-deals-contenders-mlb/

If we take a look at FanGraphs’ projected production at each position, a little color-coding can help us readily identify the biggest weaknesses on the top 10 teams by end-of-season projected wins. Just look for the red:
TeamProjexTradeDeadline23.png

They suggest SP Michael Lorenzen of the Tigers would be a good target for the Astros. He's on a 1 year 8.5m contract, but could probably be a cheap option to replace Bielak in the rotation. If Yordan is healthy, then I would hope the outfield is set with him, Chas and Tucker. Trading for Luis Robert would be a bit overkill, and cost a lot of capital, so a starting pitcher on the cheap is probably the best way to go. The list they link HERE has a good comparison of the available pitchers, and he's rank 6 on their Stuff+ rating. Probably one of the more reasonable options aside from Stroman. 

Astros get Michael Lorenzen

The co-creator of Stuff+, Max Bay, now works for the Astros. In a possibly related matter, the Astros have the best Stuff+ in baseball.

Lorenzen does not have the best Stuff+ on the market. That belongs (of course) to Shohei Ohtani. He also doesn’t have the second-best. That’s Dylan Cease. In fact, he’s not in the top five of this handy chart created by throwing most of the starting pitchers on Jim Bowden’s available list onto a custom leaderboard on FanGraphs. What you might notice is that Lorenzen is one of eight starters with above-average stuff that’s available this deadline, and as a rental without a long track record, he has to be one of the cheaper gets on the list.

He has sneakily good stuff thanks to a sweeper he added in 2022.

But he also throws five or six other pitches that are all close to league-average by Stuff+. That represents an opportunity to tweak a pitch or the mix to coax more strikeouts out of the 31-year-old righty. An added benefit is that he has experience in the pen and the rotation, and could easily be a big glue guy for them in the postseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

If Houston doesn’t acquire a bat and doesn’t feel the need to carry a 3rd catcher, I think Singleton should be the 13th position player on the playoff roster as a lefthanded bench bat who represents a real HR threat every time he comes up.  And how dope of a storyline would it be for him to hit a game winning extra inning HR in the Series.

golf clap

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Altuve 2b

Pena SS

Yordan LF

Tucker RF

Bregman 3b

McCormick CF

Abreu 1b

Julks DH

Diaz C

Swap the roles of Julks and Yordan and that works for me. Leaves us with Dubón as a pinch hitter, who isn’t a bad option as far as pinch hitters go

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Altuve 2b

Pena SS

Yordan LF

Tucker RF

Bregman 3b

McCormick CF

Abreu 1b

Julks DH

Diaz C

in a stack of bad options, do you gain more putting meyers in the outfield and yordan at dh?  or altuve at dh (until completely healed) and dubon at 2nd?  as long as yainer is your starting c, everything else kinda takes care of itself.  dubon/meyers are fine if they're hitting 9th.  diaz is a run producer and he would be hitting 7th or 8th.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

in a stack of bad options, do you gain more putting meyers in the outfield and yordan at dh?  or altuve at dh (until completely healed) and dubon at 2nd?  as long as yainer is your starting c, everything else kinda takes care of itself.  dubon/meyers are fine if they're hitting 9th.  diaz is a run producer and he would be hitting 7th or 8th.

You gain more by putting Robert in the outfield and Yordan at DH.  MOAR CUBANS!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Scraps said:

you lose all cred by putting MaShitty in the lineup. 

that’s my guess at tonight’s line up 

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Yordan likes playing LF

Yordan should be DH. He’s too valuable in the lineup to get hurt in the outfield. He’s not going to make a game saving catch ala Tucker or Chas but will make a game saving hit. I know I’m a broken record about that and I have no desire to be proven right but that’s my opinion. I understand if we are going to play Maldy then to get Diaz bat in the lineup that will have to happen. But if we are playing fantasy then Yordan is not in the outfield in my lineup. If we trade for a legit outfielder while keeping Chas that would force Dusty to put Diaz at catcher for offense unless he just wants to be hard headed. Oh….yeah…..

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

put both Yordan and Altuve in the field right now. The risk of injury isn't any worse from fielding than standing in the box facing 95+ mph pitching. Yordan is notably better when he is the field.