2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I was banging the Belt drum all offseason. Though he is more of a +side platoon guy at 1B. Plenty of RH 1B/DH types to had for cheap. You could have had a Belt/Turner platoon at 1B for cheaper than Abreu, and then had the extra $12M because Brantley likely doesn't fit in this scenario. 

Turner could also DH when Alvarez plays LF in place of the Julks/Meyers/Dubon experience.

But is he Cuban? 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Fuck no. He's not a solid player. He's your 4th or 5th OF, that crushes LHP. He has a place on the team, but he should never be given starter's ABs again.

He hasn’t even had 600 ABs, so basically hasn’t had a year’s worth of ABs yet. Do you know how many great players looked average or bad through their first year’s worth of ABs? You don’t want to be the guy who gives up on Mike Schmidt et al because his first year was bad. Development takes time. And sometimes, yeah, it doesn’t work out. Not saying Meyers destined for greatness, but you can’t say it’s over yet either.

• Hook 'Em 4

From yesterday's Athletic piece, before today's Julks news:

A more immediate option is obvious and under consideration. If it happens, Houston would author a full-circle reunion with a familiar face. 

The Astros’ most logical option to balance their bench is Jon Singleton, the franchise’s former top prospect who signed a minor-league deal in June and is dominating at Triple-A Sugar Land. This weekend at Yankee Stadium, Brown revealed the team is considering promoting Singleton amid his scorching start.

“We’ve had conversations and we’re thinking about it,” Brown said. “I don’t know how close we are, but I’ve had conversations about it and we’ll see where it goes from there. We’ve definitely had some conversations.”

Singleton is slashing .339/.455/.704 with 18 extra-base hits, 26 walks and 33 strikeouts across his first 143 plate appearances at Sugar Land. He has struggled in three brief big-league stints since 2014, including an 11-game cameo with the Milwaukee Brewers earlier this season, but Brown seemed to indicate the team will summon the 31-year-old slugger at some point in these final two months — perhaps quite soon.  

“I think if he can come up here — and we’ll give him a shot — if he can come up here and hit the ball well and have quality at-bats, I think he’s a guy that Dusty can say ‘I want to get some more reps on,’” Brown said. “It will be a Dusty call at the end of the day. If we get him up here and Dusty really likes him, we’ll roll with him. If Dusty says I’m limited with this guy, it’ll be his call once we get him up here.”

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

He hasn’t even had 600 ABs, so basically hasn’t had a year’s worth of ABs yet. Do you know how many great players looked average or bad through their first year’s worth of ABs? You don’t want to be the guy who gives up on Mike Schmidt et al because his first year was bad. Development takes time. And sometimes, yeah, it doesn’t work out. Not saying Meyers destined for greatness, but you can’t say it’s over yet either.

meyers was looking like the cf of the future before he got injured vs the cws (?) in the playoffs.  not having him moving forward seemed like a blow at the time, so obviously he was contributing.  the chas breakout was something i didn't see coming, but there's still a role for meyers as long as yordan is a part-time dh.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

“We’ve had conversations and we’re thinking about it,” Brown said. “I don’t know how close we are, but I’ve had conversations about it and we’ll see where it goes from there. We’ve definitely had some conversations.”

But have they had conversations about it?

29 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Does anyone know how good/bad Singleton is as a 1st baseman? His minor league fielding % at first base is .990 with 77 errors in 7300 innings. I don’t know whether that’s good, bad or average. 

He’s not great. He’s been playing there his whole life so he’s not going to be an embarrassment or anything like what could happen if you just randomly move over a dude mid season. 

Dusty talking a lot of shit at the White House lol.

"I said we were gonna win 2 so thats what we are doing"

"We got a series with Baltimore....prob biggest one for Baltimore in a long time....(insert ooohs and ahhs and laughter) hey i am just known to be honest"

No CR dickheads

0d6851c11d89056e235367fb90824dec.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Some Singleton fun facts:

-Drafted by the Phillies in 2009

-Acquired by the Astros the first time from the Phillies along with Jarred Cosart, Josh Zeid, and PTBNL Domingo Santana for Hunter Pence and cash

-Made his mlb debut in 2014.  On the current roster, only Pressly, Montero (by a month), Verlander, Maldonado, Altuve, Abreu, and Uncle Mike debted earlier.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, WBT said:

Acquired by the Astros the first time from the Phillies along with Jarred Cosart, Josh Zeid, and PTBNL Domingo Santana for Hunter Pence and cash

I can’t recall who it was but there was someone on the Baseball Prospectus staff that thought Cosart was a unicorn.  Great stuff, low strikeout rate and a super high strand rate they credited to pitches that died on play.  

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I can’t recall who it was but there was someone on the Baseball Prospectus staff that thought Cosart was a unicorn.  Great stuff, low strikeout rate and a super high strand rate they credited to pitches that died on play.  

That man’s name?  Albert Einstein. 

how you liking our boy Phil now?  Is it ok to want him shot into the sun again?  

2 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Not expecting much from Singleton (he's probably just a AAAA player), but what a great story it would be if he can contribute to winning a World Series.

3:1 he's not on the playoff roster. 

Maybe that's wishful thinking though.  We're not exactly overflowing with good bench bats.

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

3:1 he's not on the playoff roster. 

Maybe that's wishful thinking though.  We're not exactly overflowing with good bench bats.

Yea only if we could have traded for a bat when your offense is middle of the pack in every stat and your pitching is 3rd in team era in the majors but we think pitching is the biggest hole. Any waiver bats we could pick up?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Does anyone know how good/bad Singleton is as a 1st baseman? His minor league fielding % at first base is .990 with 77 errors in 7300 innings. I don’t know whether that’s good, bad or average. 

more importantly, what are the weed laws in Baltimore ?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Since Singleton has no options remaining, I’m guessing he remains on the roster until the end of the regular season unless he looks absolutely helpless. 

I think I read the same thing on surlybrewers.com

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

With the search for another LH bat on the big club, does this suggest they've simply given up on JJ? I'm assuming so, but I don't know that he's a demonstrably worse bench option than some guys they've trotted out there. 

he’s a bench player. At best 

5 hours ago, Scraps said:

Dusty talking a lot of shit at the White House lol.

"I said we were gonna win 2 so thats what we are doing"

"We got a series with Baltimore....prob biggest one for Baltimore in a long time....(insert ooohs and ahhs and laughter) hey i am just known to be honest"

No CR dickheads

0d6851c11d89056e235367fb90824dec.jpg

i don't recognize several players -- were all on the 2022 roster? IMO only those on the 2022 roster should be invited and even those now on other teams /retired should be invited. 

help me out from L-R each row:

R1 -- ?, ?, altuve, chas, bregs, lady, pena, maldo, urquidy? , ? , ?  , ?

R2 - brantley, fill it out please

R3 -- fill it out 

58 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Astros playing Baltimore while Texas plays Oakland is about as opposite as you can get. Winning 2 out of 3 could still put us another game back. I heard yesterday that Os have not been swept in their last 75 or 76 series ever since Adley Rutschman had joined them. They are over due. 

Aside from injuries, which the Rangers have had their fair share of too, the biggest difference in the division has been our propensity to play down to the level of our competition. For example, we are 4-3 against the lowly White Sox; 2-4 against the Twins; 1-2 against Detroit; and 0-3 against the Reds. Granted, the Twins and Reds aren't bad teams, but being 7-12 against those four teams is flat out unacceptable. 

Even on the rare occasions when the Rangers have stumbled against a bad team, e.g.,  losing a series against the Nationals, we respond by dropping 3 of 4 to the Mariners the same weekend. 

In a close division race, the team that beats the teams they are supposed to and doesn't give away winnable games will typically come out on top. That hasn't been us so far. Hopefully that'll change going forward. Starting Friday and running through September 3rd, we should be favored in every game we play. Over those 22 games, we really need to go 16-6 or better. If we don't, I don't think we will win the division, and, frankly, if we don't, we don't deserve to win it. 

• Hook 'Em 1