2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

While the veteran core of the Astros traditionally has played well on the road against good teams, I'm hardly expecting a sweep of Baltimore. The O's remind me of the Astros of the mid-2010s: young, but really talented and about to go on a multi-year run of excellence. Might not prove out, but the potential is clearly there. We'll need to bring our A game every night. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Twitter, or whatever, is such a crazy place. They are making a savior out of Singleton. The guy has never even had Julks level of success. Let’s throttle it back and hope for the best. With Baltimores huge left field I doubt we see Yordan out there much, if at all, and he will be the DH. So Singleton will have to PH or get a game at 1B. If he was meant to play right away I don’t think this was the best series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Twitter, or whatever, is such a crazy place. They are making a savior out of Singleton. The guy has never even had Julks level of success. Let’s throttle it back and hope for the best. With Baltimores huge left field I doubt we see Yordan out there much, if at all, and he will be the DH. So Singleton will have to PH or get a game at 1B. If he was meant to play right away I don’t think this was the best series. 

If he goes 1-36 or like 4-65 he’s already surpassed Julks

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

If he goes 1-36 or like 4-65 he’s already surpassed Julks

So you hate Julks more or do I hate Maton more?  Tough call. Congrats on your guy getting sent down. We are a maldonado strained oblique away from being a rolling ball of butcher knives I think. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So you hate Julks more or do I hate Maton more?  Tough call. Congrats on your guy getting sent down. We are a maldonado strained oblique away from being a rolling ball of butcher knives I think. 

I don’t dislike Julks he just needs to be on the Kessinger plan. Only play barely enough to remember he’s on the team. 

Edited by UTPhil2006
  • Hook 'Em 1

I remember that time when I said that Julks was a AAAA player and @rvm96 requoted that post a couple of months later to tell me how wrong I was. Then Julks immediately went like 3-60 and they packed his bags for him. And then I laughed. 

Glad to see the ultimate AAAA player has replaced him. My expectations of Singleton's small time on the roster are .150/.210/.275/17 k's/55 abs. Something like that. They'd be better off with an empty roster space than having either guy in the clubhouse.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I remember that time when I said that Julks was a AAAA player and @rvm96 requoted that post a couple of months later to tell me how wrong I was. Then Julks immediately went like 3-60 and they packed his bags for him. And then I laughed. 

Glad to see the ultimate AAAA player has replaced him. My expectations of Singleton's small time on the roster are .150/.210/.275/17 k's/55 abs. Something like that. They'd be better off with an empty roster space than having either guy in the clubhouse.

That's about a 29% K rate with the assumption of 4 walks to give that obp.  Give me the over, way over.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I fantasize about the day Dana Brown decides we are just going to ride with 22 players on our roster so Dusty can’t make horrible decisions all the time. Anyone think Dubon could catch in an emergency?  If not, stretch suba?  I think we should just say we are good with 10 non pitchers and let Dubon be the back up for every single spot. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

47 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

CTJ, like many others here, is quick to take a victory lap when right but slow to take a walk of shame when wrong. 

If you are talking about me, sir, I still intend to cash in all the Whitley stock I’ve been secretly buying up for the past 5 years. Next year. Next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I fantasize about the day Dana. Town decides we are just going to ride with 22 players on our roster so Dusty can’t make horrible decisions all the time. Anyone think Dubon could catch in an emergency?  If not, stretch suba?  I think we should just say we are good with 10 non pitchers and let Dubon be the back up for every single spot. 

Only for Dusty to DH Dubon every damn day…

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Only for Dusty to DH Dubon every damn day…

That would be fine. yainer would have to catch every day and I guess that means Yordan in Left and Chas in CF and Dubon as an emergency replacement. 
If 10 wouldn’t get it done I’d go ahead and go with 9 and just let Seth Martinez play wherever a guy gets hurt at. I think, with Dusty as the manager we’d win more games this way than with a 26 man roster. 
If Dusty wanted to give someone a day off he needs prior written consent and we bring in a guy from the minors for that day and then send him back. I don’t know why this idea amuses me so much, but I’m obviously not serious. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

20 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That man’s name?  Albert Einstein. 

how you liking our boy Phil now?  Is it ok to want him shot into the sun again?  

If I'm being honest I kind of hate all relievers, probably as a result of watching Doug Jones alternate ERA's in the 2's with ERA's in the 5's.  Too much volatility. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Singleton had a .620 OPS and 76 OPS+, his rookie season. Julks is currently at .652 and 80.  I would say that is the same level of success.

33 minutes ago, runthebone said:

1)  You jerks are hating on the greatest player of Palauan descent in MLB history

2)  He's also the worst player of Palauan descent in MLB history

3)  5-1 when he starts

I just hope we don't look back and regret not having his 31 OPS+ and -0.2 WAR.

We already have the best and worst Honduran in MLB history. He's filling both those quite nicely this season. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

CTJ, like many others here, is quick to take a victory lap when right but slow to take a walk of shame when wrong. 

That's bullshit. I have a lot of opinions. They're often wrong. I'm also occasionally, just ever so often, a bit of a dickhead on this site. When I'm wrong, people climb over each other to ensure that I know that and need to own up to it. All part of the fun. I already owned being incorrect on this thread when it came to the record at the time of Altuve's return. I whiffed on that one, thankfully.