2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

7 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Are we still doing the whole “why is maldy playing” bit? He’s gonna start more than Diaz like all season and it’s not changing. I don’t get the acting confused and outraged like there was a possibility Diaz would start and dusty will change his mind? 

The outrage is that Dusty continues to be that stupid/ stubborn to waddle Maldy out there when there isn't a single metric that shows he's the better option.  

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

we Don’t need to re sign him 

So, your deal is you just like the shitty players on the team and not the good ones right?  And this isn’t a bit?  You ride for maldonado and Dubon and that fucking shithead nitwit Dusty while talking about not re-signing Framber and other assorted dipshit nonsense- is that about right?  Did I miss some thing?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, your deal is you just like the shitty players on the team and not the good ones right?  And this isn’t a bit?  You ride for maldonado and Dubon and that fucking shithead nitwit Dusty while talking about not re-signing Framber and other assorted dipshit nonsense- is that about right?  Did I miss some thing?  

if you want to resign a basket case, go for it. Having so much money tied up in Abreu and Montero really ties your hands. I don’t think framber is worth the money he’ll be able to sign for. His money will go to extending Altuve 

bregman will need a decision too 

Edited by tx 3 putt

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

if you want to resign a basket case, go for it. Having so much money tied up in Abreu and Montero really ties your hands. I don’t think framber is worth the money he’ll be able to sign for. His money will go to extending Altuve 

bregman will need a decision too 

Altuve’s money will go to extending Altuve. He’s already on the books at like 28M per. Just like Bregman is making 30 per. All you have to do is add years, they aren’t getting an actual raise. 
Framber was the best pitcher last postseason, our best pitcher this year and undoubtedly top 10 in the league. We have nobody else capable of acting as an ace. But sure, cast that aside. Just so long as Dusty and Maldy can come back in 24, right?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

why can’t we have nice things?

What’s awesome about that is Yainer hits like 600 ops as a DH. So we will have not one but 2 Maldonado’s playing next game. So, that’s nice. 

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This team isn’t going anywhere unless bregman and Tucker wake up 

Maybe abreu can contribute something ?

We scored 8 runs. He has one of the rbi. I think you misspelled maldonado again in talking about people who suck and are worthless. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What’s awesome about that is Yainer hits like 600 ops as a DH. So we will have not one but 2 Maldonado’s playing next game. So, that’s nice. 

i'm willing to dismiss the "stats when playing in the field vs dh" as a small-sample anomaly, but hearing that yainer is the dh tells me two things - (1) maldonado is in the lineup and (2) brantley isn't.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm willing to dismiss the "stats when playing in the field vs dh" as a small-sample anomaly, but hearing that yainer is the dh tells me two things - (1) maldonado is in the lineup and (2) brantley isn't.

It goes beyond small sample size. I posted an article on the Dh penalty. It’s real. If you wanted to draw up a person it would disproportionately Affect that person is likely yainer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It goes beyond small sample size. I posted an article on the Dh penalty. It’s real. If you wanted to draw up a person it would disproportionately Affect that person is likely yainer. 

And even though everyone knows this, it’s worth repeating: a good defensive catcher who can also hit is one of the most valuable commodities in baseball.  And one the Astros’ franchise hasn’t had since… ever?  I guess early Biggio?

So of course it makes sense to cede that advantage as often as possible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

42 minutes ago, Welch said:

And even though everyone knows this, it’s worth repeating: a good defensive catcher who can also hit is one of the most valuable commodities in baseball.  And one the Astros’ franchise hasn’t had since… ever?  I guess early Biggio?

mitch meluskey had a magical season.  that's how rare it is.  i remember it very well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hornsbay22 said:

I dont get why at  Minute Maid the programming isn't directed for better fan interaction.   It could be way louder if they were fan directed.  Like why don't we have a video telling everyone to do the Chas Chomp, or Jose, jose, jose chant. 

You should apply for a job at Bellmont

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

mitch meluskey had a magical season.  that's how rare it is.  i remember it very well.

So HG's Meluskey reference sent me down the baseball reference rabbit hole--can you believe he's 50?

The reported "rumors" on him at the time was that pitchers hated throwing to him.  Ausmus was blocking Meluskey from starting full-time and I guess Hunsicker must have thought a lot of him and tough Tony because they traded Ausmus for a bunch of spare parts (I can't remember but I bet we can find Chron pieces saying they were looking for more offense at catcher).  Then they reverse course a couple of years later and trade Meluskey to get Ausmus back from Detroit. 

This is going to be an easy bit of trivia, but after '98 McLane let a free agent go and this is what followed.  I'm not Jayson Stark but it's got to be up there for the worst free agent NON-signing mistake. 

image.thumb.png.df23b4739ab74e16b5869aa9e4d69502.png

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

So HG's Meluskey reference sent me down the baseball reference rabbit hole--can you believe he's 50?

The reported "rumors" on him at the time was that pitchers hated throwing to him.  Ausmus was blocking Meluskey from starting full-time and I guess Hunsicker must have thought a lot of him and tough Tony because they traded Ausmus for a bunch of spare parts (I can't remember but I bet we can find Chron pieces saying they were looking for more offense at catcher).  Then they reverse course a couple of years later and trade Meluskey to get Ausmus back from Detroit. 

This is going to be an easy bit of trivia, but after '98 McLane let a free agent go and this is what followed.  I'm not Jayson Stark but it's got to be up there for the worst free agent NON-signing mistake. 

image.thumb.png.df23b4739ab74e16b5869aa9e4d69502.png

It was chump change too.  Like 1M a year more than uncle D wanted to pay. 

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It was chump change too.  Like 1M a year more than uncle D wanted to pay. 

It was the fourth year of the contract they didn't want to pay, plus they didn't have the hometown advantage Arizona had at the time.

It was a mistake to not go all-in but they still may not have outbid the Dbacks.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It is real, but the effect size described in the article was like 14 points of OPS. Which is something, but not an enormous difference over an entire season, much less a few games. There’s no reason to think Diaz is a great hitter when he catches and a terrible hitter when he DHs is there?

Note: I agree, of course, that he should be catching; not arguing that. Just saying that I think it is almost entirely small sample noise that makes him appear hapless as a DH. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It is real, but the effect size described in the article was like 14 points of OPS. Which is something, but not an enormous difference over an entire season, much less a few games. There’s no reason to think Diaz is a great hitter when he catches and a terrible hitter when he DHs is there?

Note: I agree, of course, that he should be catching; not arguing that. Just saying that I think it is almost entirely small sample noise that makes him appear hapless as a DH. 

I don't know. I suspect that the penalty would disproportionately affect rookies, and a guy that has "loses focus" stamped all over his scouting report would suffer more than most. I don't think it's truly a 400 point difference (because that's insane) but it wouldn't surprise me- in his case- if it's something like 80 or 100 points.  Which is pretty significant, of course. 

14 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

With their best pitcher on the mound, having anything less than your best hitting lineup is dumb.

But alas. We have a dumb manager.

Brantley, Diaz, and Chaz should all be in. Mashitty shouldn’t sniff the lineup today.

if he pitches better than Lopez, we are beyond fucked 

• Rage+1 1