DEI bans in Texas threaten recruiting, finances at Texas Universities

Satchel

23 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ain’t jack shit happening to any of them. The rubes have won. 

It may not be Jack shit, but I’m pretty sure it’s gon’ be some kinda shit happening.

Posted (edited)

The NCAA ain't going to do jack shit. Neither is ESPN or anyone else.

The SEC SEC SEC is the Southeastern Confederacy conference, that much is obvious.

I'll say it again. The UT-OU SEC move was not about $$$ only. Far from it. Football is the smokescreen.

The UT-Austin move to the SEC was orchestrated at the very top, above Del Conte and Hartzell. It's a post-BLM MAGA move by Abbott, BOR and Big Money Donors to align UT with the Confederacy and the fascist theocrats. 

I find it sickening. Disgraceful. F*ck the BOR and Big Money Donors. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I'm a fiftysomething white male so it's ludicrous for me to even be suggesting a course of action to people affected by this shit--but if I was, for example, a promising young athlete of color being recruited to play in major college athletics (hell, even pro athletics) I'd make it a point to say fuck off to any schools or teams in states doing this shit.

Edited by Paper_jam
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

I'll say it again. The UT-OU SEC move was not about $$$ only. Far from it. Football is the smokescreen.

The UT-Austin move to the SEC was orchestrated at the very top, above Del Conte and Hartzell. It's a post-BLM MAGA move by Abbott, BOR and Big Money Donors to align UT with the Confederacy and the fascist theocrats. 

Yeah, they had to get away from those liberals in Kansas, Iowa, And WV.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

I can see the value and stigma of a UT doing a complete 180.  When a lot of us were choosing colleges, UT was dead simple to get in.  Later a UT degree became prestigious and those that got in under lax admissions have a bit of “stolen valor” going on.

Fast forward 20 years from now, and kids that got in under today’s near impossible conditions will have a degree with some serious stank on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 5:33 PM, Paper_jam said:

I'm a fiftysomething white male so it's ludicrous for me to even be suggesting a course of action to people affected by this shit--but if I was, for example, a promising young athlete of color being recruited to play in major college athletics (hell, even pro athletics) I'd make it a point to say fuck off to any schools or teams in states doing this shit.

Stay tuned.

• Drool 1

I think conservatives in Texas have pushed and pushed to eradicate any semblance of racial progress in this state, so much so, that a groundswell of anger is building in non dominant communities that will be made manifest on our college campuses. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

I think conservatives in Texas have pushed and pushed to eradicate any semblance of racial progress in this state, so much so, that a groundswell of anger is building in non dominant communities that will be made manifest on our college campuses. 

So there's going to be some sternly worded emails written to staff where they will sit unopened while the representatives attend a fund raiser with a west Texas white nationalist billionaire who funds 90% of their campaign?

cool cool cool GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

A few athletes making a vocal stand would help, but UT, aggy, et al, aren't going to be hurting for recruits because of this, and it wouldn't matter all that much to the assholes in the legislature. It's going to take Fortune 500 companies saying they will leave to make any sort of a mark. But they might have to pay more taxes elsewhere, not to mention the magats in their board rooms, so ain't nothin' gonna happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

SMU, TCU, Baylor and a number of out of state schools will gladly affirm their support of DEI in order to sign prized athletes who will be re-directed from public universities in Texas. It is my guess that those on the approved list of schools will be prepared to meet whatever financial obligation successfully competing in the NIL environment requires. 

• Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

So there's going to be some sternly worded emails written to staff where they will sit unopened while the representatives attend a fund raiser with a west Texas white nationalist billionaire who funds 90% of their campaign?

cool cool cool GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Oh, they have an even more effective plan.  Writing letters for the opinion column in the campus newspaper.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

I read this in the accent of a succulent Chinese meal

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I read this in the accent of a succulent Chinese meal

Succulent Chinese Meal?  Thanks for the nightmare fuel of the sound of somebody fucking a bowl of noodles "American Pie" style. 

I don't know what the impact of this newly implemented legislation will look like for institutions of higher learning.  I don't think it'll be quite as bad as some alarmists claim, but it won't be benign either.  I know, I know....bold stance.  

It will have more of an impact on student-athletes though.  It will affect recruiting.  And it will affect grant money.  Them's just the data.  

Hypothetically---take a certain prominent Texas system chair of regents.  Who happens to be arguably the most engaged Regent Chair with regard to athletics probably in the history of any of our systems.  They've all always loved and been engaged with athletics but this hypothetical person has taken it to a level never seen before.  If someone were to tie their support of this anti-DEI legislation and it having cost some prominent athletic departments some recruits, and they were directly tied to it because of their affiliation with those that may or may not have passed and implemented said legislation...well their feelings would be quite hurt and that person would be quite publicly embarrassed.  It would make what Gene Powell said/did pale in comparison.  This hypothetical person would be completely and utterly distraught.  And it might be an instigator for some reversal of policy.  

Anybody who thinks state schools in Texas are sufficiently diverse, equitable and inclusive is just not paying attention. Since the first Black student was admitted to UT in 1956, no public university playing D1 sports at the highest level has even 5,000 black students enrolled - and that’s in the state that is home to the largest number of black citizens in the country. Black people feel under assault in Texas and it’s not because we’re paranoid.

When the BLM protests were ongoing, watching the ags get upset that Kellen Mond was among the protestors at the statue on the main campus of Ross and then spending lord knows how much time tracking down Mond's ancestral line to show that one of his ancestors owned slaves and therefore their own outrage was justified somehow was rather interesting. At a university that has an AA student population of ~2-3%.

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 6:20 PM, Satchel said:

Anybody who thinks state schools in Texas are sufficiently diverse, equitable and inclusive is just not paying attention. Since the first Black student was admitted to UT in 1956, no public university playing D1 sports at the highest level has even 5,000 black students enrolled - and that’s in the state that is home to the largest number of black citizens in the country. Black people feel under assault in Texas and it’s not because we’re paranoid.

It is incredibly bad at UT and A&M, and as the two largest/most prestigious institutions the discrimination from those schools has the biggest economic and cultural impact. UT is 6% black, the flagship university of a state with a black population 2x that proportion. If I recall correctly this is sadly even better than when I graduated 10 years ago, I believe it was 4% black at the time. Aggy has over 70k students and 2% of them are black, basically a meme of what you'd expect reading texags. For context, SMU and TCU - known across the state for being bubbles for rich white kids -  are both 5% black. More than 2x the black student population of aggy and comparable to UT. That's where our flagship public schools are. It's shameful.

Interestingly, UT's 37% white population mirrors the state, it is asian students massively overrepresented at 23%. This is true to a lesser extent at aggy (10%) but to no one's surprise, aggy is much whiter than the state as a whole (57%). Tech is just 6% black and majority white, below the state but probably not as bad relative to the area it primarily serves given most of the state's black population is on or east of the I-35 corridor. 

The two major DFW campuses appear to be doing the best in a relative sense. UNT is 14% black, slightly above the state and slightly below the 16% of the DFW metro. UT Arlington is 15% black; UT Arlington gets pretty close to the state at 31/31/15 white/hispanic/black, but has a large asian student population as well. Texas State probably most closely reflects the state but still overrepresents white students at 42%, 41% hispanic, 10% black, 3% asian. UH is 10%, close to the state but well under the 17% of the Houston MSA. 

Pretty bleak overall, because the full picture is one where black students are significantly underrepresented at the largest public universities and are sub 5% in aggregate at the top two campuses.

Edited by gmr548
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/5/2024 at 7:49 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

When the BLM protests were ongoing, watching the ags get upset that Kellen Mond was among the protestors at the statue on the main campus of Ross and then spending lord knows how much time tracking down Mond's ancestral line to show that one of his ancestors owned slaves and therefore their own outrage was justified somehow was rather interesting. At a university that has an AA student population of ~2-3%.

Well a good portion of the DT rubes lost their shit over the Eyes of Texas protests.

Watching Jason Aldean playing under the Woke Ivory Tower with zero sense of irony was kinda funny.  This music is alll shit but the ass is fantastic and production value is excellent.  

Shit will get real when the AAU opens an investigation into how the state of Texas has negatively impacted the quality of education offered in state publics with its onerous limitations on what can be taught in the social sciences.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Shit will get real when the AAU opens an investigation into how the state of Texas has negatively impacted the quality of education offered in state publics with its onerous limitations on what can be taught in the social sciences.

The long term plan is to get rid of or radicalize those orgs

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

I have to say I'm in agreement with @tx 3 putt on this one; as mentioned before across this forum--these orgs (such as AAU) no longer have the ability to censure (with any sort of consequence that matters) and even if they did, a large part of the populace whether within the state or elsewhere would likely respond with a "So?"

Would it matter on a global stage? Sure, but many in this country are isolationist as it is. Would it matter to some in this state? Sure, but it wouldn't move the needle, not when the last decade of right leaning thought (I cannot call it conservative really) has been propagandizing how 'lame' and unproductive social science degrees are. Over and over again until the mantra has been picked up by many parents, aligning those degrees and classes with 'underwater basket weaving'  (because it suits the nature of rw thought to avoid the nuances of considerations such as 'what is an elective?" or "why society cannot only offer degrees in business and engineering."

Tucker C is quite fond of espousing The Great Replacement to his viewers but the true great replacement is the shrinking numbers of critical thinkers and educated, involved citizens. Sad.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Watching Jason Aldean playing under the Woke Ivory Tower with zero sense of irony was kinda funny.  This music is alll shit but the ass is fantastic and production value is excellent.  

He must work out 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I have to say I'm in agreement with @tx 3 putt on this one; as mentioned before across this forum--these orgs (such as AAU) no longer have the ability to censure (with any sort of consequence that matters) and even if they did, a large part of the populace whether within the state or elsewhere would likely respond with a "So?"

Would it matter on a global stage? Sure, but many in this country are isolationist as it is. Would it matter to some in this state? Sure, but it wouldn't move the needle, not when the last decade of right leaning thought (I cannot call it conservative really) has been propagandizing how 'lame' and unproductive social science degrees are. Over and over again until the mantra has been picked up by many parents, aligning those degrees and classes with 'underwater basket weaving'  (because it suits the nature of rw thought to avoid the nuances of considerations such as 'what is an elective?" or "why society cannot only offer degrees in business and engineering."

Tucker C is quite fond of espousing The Great Replacement to his viewers but the true great replacement is the shrinking numbers of critical thinkers and educated, involved citizens. Sad.

There 71 select schools in the AAU. I would be surprised when one considers the impact on faculty recruitment and retention, research dollars and brand, Texas and aggy administrators won’t being saying “so.”

23 minutes ago, YChang said:

If you haven't participated in this, do so ASAP: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/aads/racial-geography-tour.html

Went on a tour last Friday with Dr. Gordon as part of my grad program and it's eye opening. 

I started taking it, but then I felt Wokeness rising up in my body. I threw the laptop across the room just it time.

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

ooh, how long before that is axed? It's exactly the kind of thing that would deeply outrage this state's mental midget leadership.

It's also shockingly depressing how many of our elected state officials don't understand the university receives funding from the federal government, they think it's all from the state. One of my professors was doing a tour of the campus with some state reps I think, and mentioned the tower was built with funding from the WPA, and some of them were incredulous. They thought the state funded it a 100%. 

Edited by YChang

Posted (edited)

There 71 select schools in the AAU. I would be surprised when one considers the impact on faculty recruitment and retention, research dollars and brand, Texas and aggy administrators won’t being saying “so.”

abbott / patrick / paxton have made it clear their plan for UT - Woke Austin. The writing is on the wall

ill guess that 60% of this board agrees with these firings and UT being too ‘woke’

Edited by tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

The school is going to plummet in rankings and become the diploma mill Rick Perry and his goons had always wanted

Texas and other red states will come up with their own ‘aau’ 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Texas and other red states will come up with their own ‘aau’ 

Correct. And everybody outside of the South will snicker.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2024 at 6:20 PM, Satchel said:

I don't disagree with the premise (that African American's are under-represented at the University level), but I don't think it's on the face true that having a DEI program is a requirement to get there.  No one will say this out-loud today, despite the hostile environment for it, but about ten years ago I was told (by a dean, no less) that the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement was a Bill Powers/Dr. Vincent project and it was mostly just for show.  I'm sure it's had a chance to evolve in the interim, but a program with 350 staff members seems like a lot bureaucratic bloat. 

From a public policy perspective, we'd probably be better off taking that same head count and creating an enrichment coordinator or guidance counselor at the 350 high schools with the greatest proportion of African Americans with the main job of pushing average or slightly better achievers towards college*.  That's likely where you could do the most good.  I'm sure they/you might not feel this way, but to some degree the African American scholars at UT are closer to the "haves", in that most have been admitted because of their grades and test scores, which is a product of good study habits, raw intellect, support at home, school quality, etc.

*yes, I know the state government is not making that choice. 

12 minutes ago, YChang said:

It's also shockingly depressing how many of our elected state officials don't understand the university receives funding from the federal government, they think it's all from the state.

If you study the history of the US' world renowned higher ed, it's mostly a story of federal research dollars flowing into them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I don't disagree with the premise (that African American's are under-represented at the University level), but I don't think it's on the face true that having a DEI program is a requirement to get there.  No one will say this out-loud today, despite the hostile environment for it, but about ten years ago I was told (by a dean, no less) that the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement was a Bill Powers/Dr. Vincent project and it was mostly just for show.  I'm sure it's had a chance to evolve in the interim, but a program with 350 staff members seems like a lot bureaucratic bloat. 

From a public policy perspective, we'd probably be better off taking that same head count and creating an enrichment coordinator or guidance counselor at the 350 high schools with the greatest proportion of African Americans with the main job of pushing average or slightly better achievers towards college*.  That's likely where you could do the most good.  I'm sure they/you might not feel this way, but to some degree the African American scholars at UT are closer to the "haves", in that most have been admitted because of their grades and test scores, which is a product of good study habits, raw intellect, support at home, school quality, etc.

*yes, I know the state government is not making that choice. 

If you study the history of the US' world renowned higher ed, it's mostly a story of federal research dollars flowing into them. 

Somebody help me understand how DEI causes injury to those in the dominant culture college campuses in Texas? 

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

Somebody help me understand how DEI causes injury to those in the dominant culture college campuses in Texas? 

R’s need to stir up the base for $$$ and votes

abbott wouldn’t give a fuck, but it moves the meter with his base 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

Whitey doesn’t like seeing black people being treated equally. They especially don’t like running into black people who are smarter than they are. They really, really, really get freaked out about the possibility of getting beat out for the affections of a white woman by a black man. 

Anecdotal but nonetheless I've also observed a frequent refrain by either prospective/current parents/students on campuses that my student/myself has a higher test score(s) than X student. The assumption is based upon the race of X student (black) regardless of whether said parent/student actually know the score or not or even what qualifications are required for admissions. The assumption is that they don't deserve to be there because their student is a top student with top scores and blah blah blah. The same parents frequently lament that the state unis don't give out money to their offspring even though their child is a top student with top scores. I did the math on this (maybe in another thread) after reading this one parent's complaint on A. Certain. Message. Board. because their child was top ten percent and auto admitted to that school but not really offered any $$ like they thought they would be (full ride). If the freshman class is 10,000 students and one takes ten percent of those students (as one does at the HS level) and hands them a $1000 scholarship that is still a lot of money because that is $4 million dollars (4 years) plus each year is another class. Schools like A&M and UT do give out funds for the top students, but some parents are delusional. So the parent/student "feel" cheated somehow; despite not knowing much about admissions, nor the background of X student(s) or anything else. The parent went to THIS school and therefore so should their child and X student won't have the appreciation for the "culture" of the school, and on and on. As a parent of a (now degreed) female STEM student, I observed this a lot with regards to her qualifications (in a STEM field) and observed that POC had it much much worse with respect to those assumptions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Satchel said:

IMG_9601.jpeg.10d3a0d9a1228097e2f23a8a228f0405.jpeg

what was it, 6 minorities with lowers scores got in over her ?

her and her lawyers never mentioned the 150ish white students with lower scores that got in over her ….

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_9601.jpeg.10d3a0d9a1228097e2f23a8a228f0405.jpeg

what was it, 6 minorities with lowers scores got in over her ?

her and her lawyers never mentioned the 150ish white students with lower scores that got in over her ….

I would support a "no-ginger" rule with those spots going to pretty much anyone that doesn't sunburn in five minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1