2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk

Thursday morning update from Jabba:

Pessimism is the word of the hour in UT's recruitment of TCU defensive tackle transfer Damonic Williams.

Per a source late last night, there were conversations between Texas and Williams on Wednesday night. From what I can gather, Williams is looking for an incredible one-year NIL package that would make Walter Nolan blush.

Will he get it?

That remains to be seen, but it almost certainly won't come from the Longhorns. I've been told for more than a year that the Longhorns would be willing to go huge on a "Jordan Addison type" player if the coaches thought that the addition would be season-changing, but Williams is not viewed as that type of player and Texas isn't going to completely turn its entire NIL model on its head in an effort to get him.

Perhaps the NIL package being sought after will flatten out because none of the four teams under consideration will go as high as the Williams camp is looking for one of them to go, but at the moment it feels like the Longhorns aren't going to be the team.

I wasn't given the name of a projected leader, but it might be OU. The dark-horse might be Missouri, if only because maybe the Tigers will be willing to do anything to get Williams. 

Regardless, it feels like an Texas and Williams are at an impasse as of Wednesday night.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What they’re telling us is they know of no reason why Texas can’t win the recruitment. The NIL is there. The depth chart space is there. The academics are there. 

They’re not offering up their own good vibes though, and they usually do when they have a positive inkling. 

Do you think that the OU offer to the little brother is a factor here?

17 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Pessimism is the word of the hour in UT's recruitment of TCU defensive tackle transfer Damonic Williams.

Per a source late last night, there were conversations between Texas and Williams on Wednesday night. From what I can gather, Williams is looking for an incredible one-year NIL package that would make Walter Nolan blush.

Will he get it?

That remains to be seen, but it almost certainly won't come from the Longhorns. I've been told for more than a year that the Longhorns would be willing to go huge on a "Jordan Addison type" player if the coaches thought that the addition would be season-changing, but Williams is not viewed as that type of player and Texas isn't going to completely turn its entire NIL model on its head in an effort to get him.

Perhaps the NIL package being sought after will flatten out because none of the four teams under consideration will go as high as the Williams camp is looking for one of them to go, but at the moment it feels like the Longhorns aren't going to be the team.

I wasn't given the name of a projected leader, but it might be OU. The dark-horse might be Missouri, if only because maybe the Tigers will be willing to do anything to get Williams. 

Regardless, it feels like an Texas and Williams are at an impasse as of Wednesday night.

Fine. 

Texas should offer him a slightly above market NIL deal, and if that doesn't get him to UT then let ou or lsu over pay him.

15 hours ago, ousux said:
17 hours ago, Jimmy Two Times said:
If we start Mukuba and Derek Williams, I think that's an upgrade at both safety spots. Obviously the concerns at CB are warranted. 

I think if we get a consistent pass rush it will make whoever plays deep look much better. Trey Moore, Burke, Vasek or someone else causing a little havoc in the pocket will make even Taafe look good back there.

IMG_2884.webp

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Will he get it?

Regardless, it feels like a Texas and Williams are at an impasse as of Wednesday night.

I don’t have inside info here, but you’re telling me OU has the money and Texas doesn’t for a position of need? When Texas has already budgeted for a high end DT? Sure, Jan Ketch. 

that fat fuck heard we weren’t confident and then. Completely fabricated an NIL reason as justification. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

that fat fuck heard we weren’t confident and then. Completely fabricated an NIL reason as justification. 

I do enjoy how transparent Ketch being a total fraud is in his writing. Anybody with half a brain cell (or 1 in every 10 OTF posters) could figure out he’s just making up shit and that NIL would not be why we’d lose a DT to OU. 

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t have inside info here, but you’re telling me OU has the money and Texas doesn’t for a position of need? When Texas has already budgeted for a high end DT? Sure, Jan Ketch. 

he is saying that Williams is asking for a lot.. like 2M..

lol if he is asking for something ridiculously like that.. he doesn't want to be here 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

lol if he is asking for something ridiculously like that.. he doesn't want to be here 

Williams also ain’t getting that from OU unless Venables is taking it out of his own salary. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Reportedly asking for 7 figures. 

Edited by Hornmatic
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I do enjoy how transparent Ketch being a total fraud is in his writing. Anybody with half a brain cell (or 1 in every 10 OTF posters) could figure out he’s just making up shit and that NIL would not be why we’d lose a DT to OU. 

Don't discount lsu, they're flush with crawfish money.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Williams also ain’t getting that from OU unless Venables is taking it out of his own salary. 

of course he's not but he won't ask them for that amount either..  BV was the one to get him into the portal (per tcu mods) so I'm sure they already are good on the financial side of things 

13 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Don’t insult me and yourself by trying bother translating Huttese to me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

..  BV was the one to get him into the portal (per tcu mods) 

I have been reading for almost a year, on the OU ON3 board (Sooner Scoop) that OU and its fans are upset about tampering, that they are building a relationship-driven program rather than a transaction-driven program, that Venables was just too principled for this game. 

I believed that to be horseshit, and if your claim is true, it is confirmed as horseshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This guy had offers out of high school from Cal Poly, Black Hills State, Rocky Mountain, St. Norbert College, and Western Oregon - FCS, DII, and NAIA schools. If he goes from that to Texas and competes, then damn. What an ascent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Has Bobby, or anyone else figure out how this guy end up at Cal Poly out of HS?  He was the Oakland AA player of the year and an honors student.  Plus he seems to have his head on straight based on his LinkedIn profile.  Wants to be a graphic designer if football doesn't pan out....fwiw, UT has a really good graphic design program.

He's definitely #1 priority on my board...above Williams even.

17 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Who needs DT'S? Let's just roll with all db's and fuck stomp everyone with our offense. Let's get all Mike Leach up in this bitch, yo! 

Texas was 8-2 against Leach btw

17 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

That is not true. If someone is trying to lose weight with a healthy diet and strength training regimen, muscle and bone density loss can be avoided. 

38 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Maybe he saw girls romancing each other on his visit.  Doesn’t have to be $$

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This reminds me of that other TCU DL that got paid up by Nebraska due to scarcity but ended up quite mediocre. 

Except this guy has a day 1 to 2 certified draft grade....plays a position of need and we're not in the same boat we were years ago during that.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk