2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

4 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Biden's brain is legit turning into mush before our eyes. Trump will beat him easily imo unless the economy crashes. 

The Democrats haven't thought this out very well.  They've had so many candidates drop out in the last 48 hours that now when they all talk over each other in the debates the audiences will still be able to understand what they are saying.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

The Democrats haven't thought this out very well.  They've had so many candidates drop out in the last 48 hours that now when they all talk over each other in the debates the audiences will still be able to understand what they are saying.

I bet you were really proud of that zinger. 

Truth hurts, voters will now be able to get a better idea of how insane Sanders is and how senile Biden is.  Hell, given how old both of these guys are the DNC might be better off putting the candidates the donors, insiders, and Washington D.C. establishment actually want in the VP slot.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

Truth hurts, voters will now be able to get a better idea of how insane Sanders is and how senile Biden is.  Hell, given how old both of these guys are the DNC might be better off putting the candidates the donors, insiders, and Washington D.C. establishment actually want in the VP slot.

Bro you support trump.  Fuck off with any and all discussions of someone’s fitness for office.  You have now and forever lost the ability to act holier than thou with that orange dumb fuck in office.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Trump is going to win unless there is a recession. He’s consolidated support from Republicans he didn’t have in 2016.  

If there is a recession before Election Day, he will lose to whoever the Dems put up.  

I’m about 90 percent sure on this. 

Well, thankfully this statement has walked me back. Trump hasn't created a significant amount of new supporters since he was inaugurated. His approval rating has been remarkably steady in the high 30s/low 40s for his entire term. Approval among Republicans has always been astronomical. Whatever few new voters come in to support him will be offset by deaths in the 65+ demographic, which is heavily pro-Trump. His support is hard-capped. Democrats have the votes to beat him if they run the right candidate/message and put in the work.

As fr the nominee, the first quote @MaybeACoordinator hits it for me. Presidential elections are ultimately popularity/personality contests. Biden inspires no one and is sorely lacking in campaign infrastructure. Milquetoast moderates with no stance lose. What do Clinton, Romney, McCain, Kerry, and Gore* have in common? They were all at a personality/enthusiasm deficit relative to their opponent. Biden will be too. That doesn't bode well. The concerns about Sanders scaring off centrists are real to some extent, I'm sure. But he has the marks of a winning campaign in the modern Democratic party - a strong, relatively diverse base of support and a ground game that would make Kyle Shanahan envious.

*Might be a stretch to include him given that the 2000 election was essentially a tie.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It's striking to me how hard it is to envision who'd be a good VP fit with Sanders, especially given what we don't know about the function of his left ventricle. 

wrt tweet above, that's the first reference I've seen for Val Demings, who I found to be highly impressive during the impeachment hearings.  She's one of those people who I immediately perceived to have the complete package of intelligence, competence, and integrity.  I'd like to hear more of her outside impeachment discourse, but she's clearly got a great future ahead.  And albeit male, I'm also a Booker fan.

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Well, thankfully this statement has walked me back. Trump hasn't created a significant amount of new supporters since he was inaugurated. His approval rating has been remarkably steady in the high 30s/low 40s for his entire term. Approval among Republicans has always been astronomical. Whatever few new voters come in to support him will be offset by deaths in the 65+ demographic, which is heavily pro-Trump. His support is hard-capped. Democrats have the votes to beat him if they run the right candidate/message and put in the work.

As fr the nominee, the first quote @MaybeACoordinator hits it for me. Presidential elections are ultimately popularity/personality contests. Biden inspires no one and is sorely lacking in campaign infrastructure. Milquetoast moderates with no stance lose. What do Clinton, Romney, McCain, Kerry, and Gore* have in common? They were all at a personality/enthusiasm deficit relative to their opponent. Biden will be too. That doesn't bode well. The concerns about Sanders scaring off centrists are real to some extent, I'm sure. But he has the marks of a winning campaign in the modern Democratic party - a strong, relatively diverse base of support and a ground game that would make Kyle Shanahan envious.

*Might be a stretch to include him given that the 2000 election was essentially a tie.

If you are that confident, you should start placing some big bets.  

13 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

Why is it common belief that Warren hurts Bernie more than helps Bernie? Based on her policy positions, she is closer to Bernie and clearly can’t stand Biden. 

I think she is staying in and supporting Bernie. 

I don't know what she is doing at this point. She is flailing. She rose to the top of the field as a progressive with a pragmatic streak, then she started deviating from that. If she'd stuck to that course she'd be in the thick of things right now.

I think the conventional wisdom is that Warren staying in hurts Bernie because she's in the progressive "lane" in terms of policy, and therefore Sanders would stand to gain more supporters from her departure. I haven't really seen any polling data on the matter. I'm not sure if she's staying in hoping to be a compromise candidate at the convention or if there is some angle she/her team sees that advances her platform. Her support skews white and educated, which is actually a demographic Sanders isn't so hot with, so maybe they think they'd be giving more to Biden than most assume at face value. She's also had consistently high favorable and seems to always be the "number one" second choice in polls. Pete and Klobuchar also skewed white and educated in terms of their support, it's not far-fetched that she could get a bump to 15 percent from some of them, further muddling things. But they dropped out so close to Super Tuesday that I am not sure how much of a difference it will make tomorrow. Millions voted early.

She's a bad politician, and I mean that as a compliment. She's had a fundraising bump, unlike Pete or Klobuchar, so she's got the resources to hang around longer if she so chooses. 

Edited by gmr548

10 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

wrt tweet above, that's the first reference I've seen for Val Demings, who I found to be highly impressive during the impeachment hearings.  

weird, i almost typed this exact sentence about an hour ago.  including both of your points.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Seems a pretty ripe question -- who would Bernie and Biden pick for VP?

Biden: does he pick someone more mainstream, to solidify his identity, or does he go more liberal to expand his reach?  What would a pick of Warren do (presume any of the people I'm listing would actually accept, which they may well not do)?  Stacy Abrams?  I can see a good VP pick by Biden buying him a few points of support.  Not much more than that, but something measurable.

Bernie: who the heck does he even pick?  Picking a more maintstream candidate would likely be seen as a betrayal by his base.  But it'll be hard to pick someone who has similar hardcore progressive bonafides.  I really can't see any Bernie pick, except a terrible one, moving the needle for him much.

I can see Biden/warren being hilarious. Imagine they win... warren shows up the first day with boxes of binders of her plans... joe asks “what is all that?” Warren retorts “all of my ideas. We have a lot of work to do. Let’s start with breaking up the flexible tape monopoly.” Joe jumps in the air while simultaneously contorting his body parallel to the floor and landing roughly on the couch. He pulls his aviators from his oxford pocket and as he slides them on cooly says “not now babe. We just got ourselves a corner lot on easy street.”  Warren storms out. Complains the next 4 years. Primaries uncle joe when he is too old to even stand. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

As one of three women who post here, I can assure you that while Joe’s hair sniffing and “grabiness” is definitely inappropriate and gross it pales in comparison to the litany of disgusting stuff Trump has done to and said about women.

And as far as my greater concern about the future of women’s rights and all that encompasses (abortion, domestic violence legislation, being included in the power structure) Biden’s tendencies don’t mean jackshit when compared to Trump.

I appreciate the concern trolling of “Well about women??? Joe will turn them off!”, it’s ultimately bullshit when contrasted with the real fear of becoming a handmaid if Trump stays in power.

Women and other marginalized groups are willing to overlook things like that to feel safe and heard.

As a woman it’s pretty offensive to me that some of y’all are equating pussy grabbing, rape, sexual assault, removal of body autonomy, and real legislative efforts to make us second class citizens to some creepy hugging and hair sniffing.

And Bernie has written some pretty gross things in his past regarding women - why no fear about that pushing away suburban women?

Neither Joe’s creepy hugs nor Bernie’s essays are going to alarm women enough to make them vote for Trump.

Mee Maw,

He is poised for a big Super Thursday.  

24 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

And the Trump War Room is Johnny on the Sack with their attacks. 

well that's easy...Steyer or Bloomberg can make a giant buy piecing together hundreds of Trump mushmouth moments. include all his weird noises. and the lizard hiss. and covfefe and hamberders. and the toilet paper. 

buy space in Fox primetime, show that shit 20 times a night. 

this shouldn't be that hard.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

As one of three women who post here, I can assure you that while Joe’s hair sniffing and “grabiness” is definitely inappropriate and gross it pales in comparison to the litany of disgusting stuff Trump has done to and said about women.

And as far as my greater concern about the future of women’s rights and all that encompasses (abortion, domestic violence legislation, being included in the power structure) Biden’s tendencies don’t mean jackshit when compared to Trump.

I appreciate the concern trolling of “Well about women??? Joe will turn them off!”, it’s ultimately bullshit when contrasted with the real fear of becoming a handmaid if Trump stays in power.

Women and other marginalized groups are willing to overlook things like that to feel safe and heard.

As a woman it’s pretty offensive to me that some of y’all are equating pussy grabbing, rape, sexual assault, removal of body autonomy, and real legislative efforts to make us second class citizens to some creepy hugging and hair sniffing.

And Bernie has written some pretty gross things in his past regarding women - why no fear about that pushing away suburban women?

Neither Joe’s creepy hugs nor Bernie’s essays are going to alarm women enough to make them vote for Trump.

i'm all out of rep today, but as one of the other women that posts here...pos rep

NOTHING equates to 'grab them by the pussy and just start kissing them, they can't do anything bc you're a celebrity'.

Edited by mchookem

Why is it common belief that Warren hurts Bernie more than helps Bernie? Based on her policy positions, she is closer to Bernie and clearly can’t stand Biden. 
I think she is staying in and supporting Bernie. 

I think she staying in because she knows she the best one for the job and those other two are goobers.

But seriously, I just don’t get how Warren doesn’t get any traction. IMO she is clearly the best option. She would kill Trump in a debate. She would get shit done.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, sachick said:

I think she staying in because she knows she the best one for the job and those other two are goobers.

But seriously, I just don’t get how Warren doesn’t get any traction. IMO she is clearly the best option. She would kill Trump in a debate. She would get shit done.

She won’t even win her own state in the primary.  

3 minutes ago, sachick said:

She is absolutely the best option. Misogyny isnt just a GOP thing though.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sachick said:

She's a woman

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

It's too bad we she can't step in as like the COO to Biden's bloviating figurehead. Enact his moderate agenda, but add a little progressive spice to it. Actually get things done, plug the holes in the state dept etc.

22 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I'm a little surprised she didn't take the online attack: "Snake' and turn it into "Don't tread on me." Many women and women voters in particular are undervalued, overworked, and pretty much out of patience.

With respect to Bernie and his view on women--I give his voting record on womens' rights an A. While he never pushed for a lot of legislation, he always voted affirmatively when given the opportunity. With respect to in general, I give him a lower grade. In the past, he appears to focus so much on his economic policies that certain groups have expressed that he doesn't consider that their concerns (LBGQT/Women/Racial Minority/Etc) over discrimination and other issues are perhaps not going to be resolved just because there is economic equality. I think their concerns are valid but I don't know how he proposes to address that. I suppose after more becomes clear in the coming weeks I may have to spend some more time examining the candidates. Frankly I'm not pro for either of them  especially since Joe is a hot mess right now but neither of them are Trump and that outweighs pretty much everything.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
grammar