GOP pretend fiscal restraint, and fucking the US economy and 401K's

horn4life

On 5/28/2023 at 5:45 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

He has no balls. 

Oh McCarthy has Balls.  He just lets MTG take care of handling one of them, by keeping it in her pocket.  Sort of like my buddy who I have nicknamed "Juan Pelota." 

Now like I said, how many Dems is it going to take to be able to get a bill through the GOP controlled house? That lets the bomb throwers in the GOP vote no, and lament not causing catastrophic harm to our nation.  50? 60?

And once again Biden is the big dicked naked guy walking over to McCarthy while he is tying his shoes at the gym...

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

Oh McCarthy has Balls.  He just lets MTG take care of handling one of the.  Sort of like my buddy who I have nicknamed "Juan Pelota." 

Now like I said, how many Dems is it going to take to be able to get a bill through the GOP controlled house? That lets the bomb throwers in the GOP vote no, and lament not causing catastrophic harm to our nation.  50? 60?

And once again Biden is the big dicked naked guy walking over to McCarthy while he is tying his shoes at the gym...

I'm guessing 80-85% of the dems vote for this, particularly since it's quite the raping of McCarthy over the terms. Clawing back MAYBE 10 Billion of the 80 Billion IRS funding that wouldn't have existed before the D's got it approved in the first place...that's a fucking win. The only D's who wont vote for it are the most progressive of the progressive.  And it wouldn't surprise me if 100% of the Ds vote for this because, well, it sends a message that one side cares about governing. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Enough. Convincingly. This deal is going to pass bc McCarthy + Jeffries and Turtle have the votes 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm guessing 80-85% of the dems vote for this, particularly since it's quite the raping of McCarthy over the terms. Clawing back MAYBE 10 Billion of the 80 Billion IRS funding that wouldn't have existed before the D's got it approved in the first place...that's a fucking win. The only D's who wont vote for it are the most progressive of the progressive.  And it wouldn't surprise me if 100% of the Ds vote for this because, well, it sends a message that one side cares about governing. 

They should vote for it 100% for exactly the reason you said

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

They should vote for it 100% for exactly the reason you said

Well, my rep Jayapal has made her complaints on behalf of the progressive conference.  I wish she would see the power of this reasoning.  It strengthens the demo case nationwide.  She doesn’t need to score any more points for Seattle progressives.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, nbmishoid said:

Well, my rep Jayapal has made her complaints on behalf of the progressive conference.  I wish she would see the power of this reasoning.  It strengthens the demo case nationwide.  She doesn’t need to score any more points for Seattle progressives.

Exactly. I’m not saying she’s wrong to have complaints or anything but this is just too easy to win

On 5/25/2023 at 12:14 PM, wildcat09 said:

There's conflicting rules of construction (one that basically says "including" doesn't imply a limitation to what it states, and one that provides for the exact opposite, because the law is fake), but the actual language refers to paying for both (1) pensions and (2) bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion. I think it'd be pretty hard to make a good case that "including" as used there was meant to be limiting, because those two aren't really at all similar.

Also, there's no reason POTUS can't say "SCOTUS thinks it means X, but I think it means Y, and I have a Constitutional duty to follow the Constitution as I understand it."

There's also some issues with the phrase "authorized by law."  The spending is authorized by law, but so is the debt ceiling.  And what the hell does "questioned" mean?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Raping, raking, whatever it takes.  I'm good with raping McCarthy on coals.

It passed rules. Dems voted against but they’ll vote for it on the floor to pass it. It was already going to pass rules so no need for Dems to vote for it to get it out 

These sort of battles do show the extremes of both parties pretty clearly. Both are harmful to compromise, because they believe their "purity" is more important than actually getting shit done.

The Big Difference?  The GOP is the party of NO!  And because of this they allow their extreme members to take control of the party BECAUSE of their willingness to never compromise.  Indeed that's why you cannot negotiate with Republicans, because they simply always have to renegotiate with the extreme of their party, who KNOWS the power of simply saying NO! in the GOP.

The GOP elevates the extremist bomb throwers, because the Republicans do not have any principles beyond personal power.  Personal power, not representing the people is now the only principle the GOP represents. There is no other.  This twisted desire for personal power, above serving the country is what allows the extreme of the GOP to force Kevin McCarthy and our country into dangerous waters.  Because Kevin's personal power as leader is more important than actually being able to lead!  How fucked up is that?  So here we are.  The Republicans that ALWAYS add to the deficit at a faster pace than their Democratic counterpart are howling at the moon in protest... for paying the bills they charged at the tax cut trough. Only destruction can please a large portion of the GOP.  And how the fuck do you negotiate anything when the other side EMPOWERS the most extreme members of their party rather than mute them?

Hilariously the very gerrymandering the GOP has used to lock in seats, is what now prevents them from legislating.  Because the GOP elevates it's crazies, and the Dams... not so much.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

It passed rules. Dems voted against but they’ll vote for it on the floor to pass it. It was already going to pass rules so no need for Dems to vote for it to get it out 

I still don't know why the democrats didn't vote for it in committee. Like, what point are they making? Particularly when they'll all vote for it today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I still don't know why the democrats didn't vote for it in committee. Like, what point are they making? Particularly when they'll all vote for it today. 

Because traditionally, the minority party doesn’t help pass things out of committee. 

Curios to see the economic impact, if any, when student loan payments resume in August. They've been suspended for over 3 years, and I know that many (myself included) have been living/spending like that monthly obligation doesn't exist.

12 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Curios to see the economic impact, if any, when student loan payments resume in August. They've been suspended for over 3 years, and I know that many (myself included) have been living/spending like that monthly obligation doesn't exist.

Given that many borrowers have needed those funds for rising costs, I doubt many have the funds in their monthly budget. When the payments restart they will struggle even more to find the monthly money.

Not to mention that credit card debt has skyrocketed WHILE some people have had their student loan debt repayment paused. Financial restraint has not been followed by many recently, and in many cases it's understandable given inflation.

ccs-chart-3-2-1024x806.jpg

Regardless, I believe it's better if student loan repayment is restarted. The unfortunate part is that Congress seems uninclined to do anything about college costs. It's more important, to them,  to transfer wealth from the young to the old via high tuition.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's fucking stupid. If you're going to fucking vote for it, vote for it all the way through. Fucking stupid circus sideshow bullshit. 

Oh here we go again. No matter what the Dems do, they can’t win with y’all. It’s not their job to bail out McCarthy after he stacked the rules committee with nut jobs. It’s McCarthy’s compromise bill, it’s his party’s responsibility to pass it in committee and get it on the floor. It’s not the Dems’ job to govern for the wackos. They are now free to vote aye on the vote that matters - the floor vote. 

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh here we go again. No matter what the Dems do, they can’t win with y’all. It’s not their job to bail out McCarthy after he stacked the rules committee with nut jobs. It’s McCarthy’s compromise bill, it’s his party’s responsibility to pass it in committee and get it on the floor. It’s not the Dems’ job to govern for the wackos. They are now free to vote aye on the vote that matters - the floor vote. 

1.) That's not even remotely close to the message there.
2.) No it's not their job to bail out McCarthy...but this is fucking stupid. Because if one of them DID have to bail out McCarthy, they absolutely fucking would have done it, and you know it. So some stupid posturing of unity against the opposing party is fucking stupid. It's what the OTHER party does all the fucking time, to the detriment of the fucking country and society at large. But the fact I'm shitting on it when my team does it is out of bounds? Fuck right off with that stupid take.

• Hook 'Em 6

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So when SHOULD this actually pass and end this moron show?  In a sane world I mean. 

House later today. Senate should take it up tomorrow. I think the new default date is June 5 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

1.) That's not even remotely close to the message there.
2.) No it's not their job to bail out McCarthy...but this is fucking stupid. Because if one of them DID have to bail out McCarthy, they absolutely fucking would have done it, and you know it. So some stupid posturing of unity against the opposing party is fucking stupid. It's what the OTHER party does all the fucking time, to the detriment of the fucking country and society at large. But the fact I'm shitting on it when my team does it is out of bounds? Fuck right off with that stupid take.

I agree with this take. 

If you're willing to vote for the full bill, I don't see much of a  reason not to vote it out of committee unless you think it not passing committee will actually put you in a better negotiating position. I guess that is a possibility, although it doesn't seem very likely based on what we know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because they wanted the disingenuous Republicans to vote for the bill THEY held the country hostage for.  Otherwise there is not a majority of Republicans who would vote for it.

Think about that for a second.  The hostage taker negotiates a ransom, then won't fucking take the negotiated deal!  Without the children of the hostage help them carry off  the ransom.  Fucking crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I agree with this take. 

If you're willing to vote for the full bill, I don't see much of a  reason not to vote it out of committee unless you think it not passing committee will actually put you in a better negotiating position. I guess that is a possibility, although it doesn't seem very likely based on what we know. 

It’s not their job as the minority to put the bill on the floor. That would be Kevin and his merry band of morons. If he was going to bow down and kiss the Vienna sausage toes of MTG and her caucus to get the job, then it’s HIS job to get the bill on the floor. 

There’s also the likelihood that a bill that came out of committee solely due to Dem votes would die on the floor. At least now the toddlers can vote for the bill their party put forth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just to give you a visual of how UNREPRESENTATIVE GOP congressional districts are, take a quick look at Purity crusader Chip Roy.  A fucking rock(R) could win in a district (like all Texas districts) designed to give rural racists a much greater say than is reality.  Hopefully young people will keep voting and we can get representative government at least to some degree again.  And I will be JUST as critical of Dems if they do this sort of shit.  But the Dems are not elevating Bomb throwers in these sorts of districts like the GOP does.

spacer.png

• Rage+1 7

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I would have thought uncooked Hot Pockets and stolen Taco Bell mild sauce packs.

Ummm, good sir, those are not stolen.  They are sitting out in a bin, there for the taking by the consumer.  If I simply require more backup Taco Bell sauce than the average consumer, you shouldn't judge me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummm, good sir, those are not stolen.  They are sitting out in a bin, there for the taking by the consumer.  If I simply require more backup Taco Bell sauce than the average consumer, you shouldn't judge me.

They're stolen if you clatter in on cloven feet, buy nothing, scream that the kid at the register is a crisis actor, then stuff handfuls of them in your rectal pouch before rampaging out again.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Haha 8

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

They're stolen in you clatter in on cloven feet, buy nothing, scream that the kid at the register is a crisis actor, then stuff handfuls of them in your rectal pouch before rampaging out again.

Fair take.

Bitch wouldn't even make a token purchase off the value menu.

• Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s not their job as the minority to put the bill on the floor. That would be Kevin and his merry band of morons. If he was going to bow down and kiss the Vienna sausage toes of MTG and her caucus to get the job, then it’s HIS job to get the bill on the floor. 

There’s also the likelihood that a bill that came out of committee solely due to Dem votes would die on the floor. At least now the toddlers can vote for the bill their party put forth. 

I understand this is your view. However, I don't believe this is how government should operate.

16 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I understand this is your view. However, I don't believe this is how government should operate.

It shouldn't.  But one side is a bunch of toddlers who are terrified of their base if they are seen passing a "Democratic bill" that came out of a GOP committee with a majority of Dem votes.  

It's also gamesmanship by McCarthy - he's in trouble enough for compromising, but the optics of this bill passing committee with only GOP opposition would basically be him delivering his head on a platter to the HFC.

He's fucked either way.  It's beautiful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

R rep (Dusty Johnson from SD who seems moderate based on his answers) was just on MSNBC and said yes, it’s going to pass. They are basically letting radical R’s yell at clouds to get it out of their system.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1