Saudi blood money combo tour discussion

thunderlounge

18 hours ago, dcar00 said:

actually generally tougher because you only have 2 par 5's.

Are you saying that it’s harder to make a 3 on those two extra par 4s than it would be than if they were par 5s? Because that’s what it seems like you’re saying. Or is my sarcasm meter broken? 

2 hours ago, heso said:

Are you saying that it’s harder to make a 3 on those two extra par 4s than it would be than if they were par 5s? Because that’s what it seems like you’re saying. Or is my sarcasm meter broken? 

15 tour players average under par on 3's.  30 on par 4's.   all average under par on par 5's.  there can be a chance for eagles on par 5's and easy chances for birdies.   there is near zero chance for eagles on par 3's and 4's.

Edit - slope and difficulty of each course does come into play.

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

15 tour players average under par on 3's.  30 on par 4's.   all average under par on par 5's.  there can be a chance for eagles on par 5's and easy chances for birdies.   there is near zero chance for eagles on par 3's and 4's.

Edit - slope and difficulty of each course does come into play.

58 is a total not a score relative to par. Tour scoring average on par 4s is 4.04. On par 5s it’s 4.64. 

Two par 4s is 8.08.

Two par 5s is 9.28.

The total score for a par 70 course would naturally be expected to be less than on a par 72.

By your averages we’d expect the total for the par 72 to be 1.2 strokes higher and the average score to par 0.8 better.

• 3 months later...

John done said, “I’m gonna make sure there aren’t two idiots in this transaction.”

Hell yeah you take that shit if you’re him.

And potentially has the support of his peers as well. 

Why? The PGA has thought about backing out of the merger. That would fuck everything up much worse than the damage they’ve already done. Rahm taking the money pretty much forces them to continue the merger. If they don’t, they’re fucked. Rahm just showed them that after all their bullshit, the door is open and their previously faithful group is going to be significantly more open to the other tour.

So effectively, Rahm just got a bonus to help ensure the merger shit goes through. A lot less than it being dragged out in courts for who knows how long.

Correct. I’ll never see him play until the majors and then I’ll cheer against him. I don’t cheer for him now unless an American is out of contention…other than Brooks. Golf may soon be completely dead to me as a result of this LIV stuff. The PGA is going to be forced to adapt to some stupid format that absolutely nobody wanted. Professional golf may never really be the same because of this and it really sucks!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Hate said:

Correct. I’ll never see him play until the majors and then I’ll cheer against him. I don’t cheer for him now unless an American is out of contention…other than Brooks. Golf may soon be completely dead to me as a result of this LIV stuff. The PGA is going to be forced to adapt to some stupid format that absolutely nobody wanted. Professional golf may never really be the same because of this and it really sucks!

Yep, as a fan, i'm genuinely not interested in any of this and i had no problem with things the way they were before. Everything that has happened, everything that has changed, only benefits a few select golfers, and is a detriment to everyone else. They have made the sport less entertaining and less competitive.

• Hook 'Em 2

Apparently, Finau might be next.

Might be time for the majors to change eligibility rules to make it impossible for LIV players to compete in them. It’s really the only thing that they could possibly do. Give the guys who jumped time to reconcile their obligation to the Saudis, maybe make them pay some sort of “fine” to come back and hopefully not get Khasoggied in the process.

I won’t watch 54-hole tournaments or tricked-up team event at no-name resort courses.

• Hook 'Em 3

This sucks. Everything about LIV is cringy. The product is garbage. The forced team aspect is stupid. The fake party atmosphere is dumb. 

They just have enough money that they can throw any amount of money that it’ll take to buy stars. The players don’t care that no one watches them anymore, they have half a billion dollars and all they have to do is show up. 

Pat Perez said it best about how serious these guys take the competition in LIV: “I got paid, I don’t give a damn.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I might be done watching professional golf. Rahm leaving and backtracking on his previous comments is incredibly disappointing. And the fact his announcement was made on FOX NEWS is so fucking pathetic. 

"Everyone has a price" blah blah blah. Fuck that. Have some fucking moral conviction in life. My main issue isn't even about the politics of Saudis and blood money. It's the fucking over and complete disregard for the fans. 

LIV talking about "growing the game" and trying to convince people of their team golf format is purely gaslighting at this point. 

Unless something changes very quickly, an entire professional sport has been destroyed. Incredible. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Litig8r said:

LIV is to golf as NIL and the Portal are to college football.

No, not even close to the same universe. People that spend big money on NIL are still looking for a return on investment. NIL money isn't coming from a foreign government.

Edited by Pam Cummings

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Not that it means anything.

tony-finau-is-staying-with-the-pga-v0-30

That seems like a power move

a power move to get a higher bid

maybe/maybe not

And I am a huge Freddie fan, he is my fav from that era (the post Jack/pre Tiger age) and I think it is amazing because he was the King of getting paid during the silly season. I am pretty sure he has the highest career earnings from the Skins games.

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

That seems like a power move

a power move to get a higher bid

maybe/maybe not

Basically, how much money will it take a person to accept being labeled a traitorous asshole in the sport he is playing?

If I have kids and am offered the opportunity to get enough money instantly that they and their grandkids are very well off, I'm taking the money, going through the motions, and disappearing from the limelight. Public opinions don't feed or guarantee the future of my family.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Basically, how much money will it take a person to accept being labeled a traitorous asshole in the sport he is playing?

If I have kids and am offered the opportunity to get enough money instantly that they and their grandkids are very well off, I'm taking the money, going through the motions, and disappearing from the limelight. Public opinions don't feed or guarantee the future of my family.

How much do you really need? Jon Rahm was probably already on his way to earning $500M lifetime staying right where he was with the PGA Tour, through Tour winnings, endorsements, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

How much do you really need? Jon Rahm was probably already on his way to earning $500M lifetime staying right where he was with the PGA Tour, through Tour winnings, endorsements, etc.

now he has 600M without having to do all that for 20 more years...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 7:21 AM, Pam Cummings said:

No, not even close to the same universe. People that spend big money on NIL are still looking for a return on investment. NIL money isn't coming from a foreign government.

Not yet

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like LIV signed a deal with Google to be able to watch any group or player live throughout the round.  Few are watching that product at this time but I want that.  The PGA Tour may have the tv deals but they suck at golf coverage so you aren't really watching that product either.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2024 at 3:44 AM, Pam Cummings said:

The PGAT has had feature group coverage for years now...

And Augusta let's you watch any shot from any player at any time. Swear to God.... why the PGA tour hasn't hired their IT team and given them all the money in the world is mind bottling. Mlb.tv and masters TV are the online content to which all others should be held. 

lol at these asshats coming to terms with the consequences of taking the money and believing that they’d still get owgr ranking points. 

Neiman probably the worst case scenario. Young guy (25), legit shot at winning majors, hadn’t won one yet when he left. Dropped from 19th to 74th. Gotta suck looking around major weeks and realizing you’re one of the few guys on LIV that isn’t past his prime, a scrub, or already win a major and have exemptions.