Saudi blood money combo tour discussion

thunderlounge

5 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

My interest in pro golf has declined from 95% to about 2% over the past 10 years. Now it is at 0%.

That's my biggest problem -- I like pro golf way too much. If the Tour incorporates some of the ridiculous shit the LIV Tour did -- 54-hole tournaments, team events included along with individual comps -- then I'm not sure I'll continue watching all that intently beyond the four majors.

• Hook 'Em 3

Still hate Norman but my stance has softened on  Phil again...

"They're scary... to get involved with," Mickelson was quoted as saying. "We know they killed [Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. "They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it?”

"Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates.

“They’ve been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse.

"And the Saudi money has finally given us that leverage."
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

My interest in pro golf has declined from 95% to about 2% over the past 10 years. Now it is at 0%.

While not a hard core golf fan, I'll watch the majors and if some names are in the mix on a Sunday in a mid tier tournament, I'll watch that.  That being said, I tried watching LIV for 30 minutes and it was boring as fuck.  It's a glorified exhibition with zero intensity and the teams thing makes no sense.  Meanwhile, there was a PGA event on CBS where I didn't recognize anyone and it was a much better watch because they actually cared and it mattered.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

For 3 years you call a dipshit whoring bitch a whore, rightfully, and then you drunkenly marry her and surprise your family with an announcement.

Fuck Jay.

Well it was indeed a shotgun wedding, and the announcement was that they were having a baby! So when you combine PGA and LIV... I have some  baby name ideas!

PILVAG and VAGPIL immediately come to mind...  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's my biggest problem -- I like pro golf way too much. If the Tour incorporates some of the ridiculous shit the LIV Tour did -- 54-hole tournaments, team events included along with individual comps -- then I'm not sure I'll continue watching all that intently beyond the four majors.

you'll be there.  if spieth and scottie are on a 4 man team facing fowler/hovland or Rory/Brooks on sunday and Nance is calling it on CBS you'll watch.  the players should make it like NASCAR where Elon Musk can own a 4 man team, bring in sponsors, pay them and make them wear jumpsuits with patches all over them. PGA tour takes their cut.

• Hook 'Em 3

All the current pga/liv players, former pga players and future players should now realize that they are all a circus act. They are the clowns, monkeys, elephants and side show freaks all rolled into one. Each and everyone has been scammed into this 3 ring show. Sure they were well fed and taken care of but they still had to perform for their peanuts. 

all players should bury the hatchet and band together. Then start a player owned tour. Try to get some former players like Jack or Tiger to join them. Hell ask jack to be the first commissioner. If all the players unite behind the plan it could work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you'll be there.  if spieth and scottie are on a 4 man team facing fowler/hovland or Rory/Brooks on sunday and Nance is calling it on CBS you'll watch.  the players should make it like NASCAR where Elon Musk can own a 4 man team, bring in sponsors, pay them and make them wear jumpsuits with patches all over them. PGA tour takes their cut.

My immediate thought was how much fun would a Scottie, Jordan, Hossler, Fritelli 4 man former longhorn team be.  
Feels like that would beat any other schools alums on tour.  You have the best- another top 10-20 type, and two top 30-75 types I think.  That seems pretty damn strong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BB65 said:

All the current pga/liv players, former pga players and future players should now realize that they are all a circus act. They are the clowns, monkeys, elephants and side show freaks all rolled into one. Each and everyone has been scammed into this 3 ring show. Sure they were well fed and taken care of but they still had to perform for their peanuts. 

all players should bury the hatchet and band together. Then start a player owned tour. Try to get some former players like Jack or Tiger to join them. Hell ask jack to be the first commissioner. If all the players unite behind the plan it could work. 

But why?  They will be drowning in money under their current arrangement and all they have to do is show up.  What you are talking about would be a lot of hard work, less money and would likely fail. What is their upside to doing that?

1 minute ago, BB65 said:

Lol. Dude these guys just play golf and want to get paid doing it. Nobody wants to start a player owned tour for a fraction of what they could make. We just did that exercise and how did it turn out?

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

But why?  They will be drowning in money under their current arrangement and all they have to do is show up.  What you are talking about would be a lot of hard work, less money and would likely fail. What is their upside to doing that?

Upside would be playing in a tour they built and have control of the business end. Where the tour can no longer fuck them hard core as just happened. 

24 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Images Monkey GIF

I figured the Saudi's would payout prize money after Saturdays 3rd round, and the PGA/Euro tour would payout for Sunday performance

I still want to hear if LIV players will get some sort of retro OWGR points to have mid-tier guys suddenly qualify for the majors. And it will be interesting to see how the mandaatory events the PGA has declared will hold up now with the merger. No way the limited schedule appeals to us LIV guys want to play that many events (unless, could that just have been a smokescreen?).

12 minutes ago, BB65 said:

and that is different from all the other sports leagues exactly how?

team owners and league officials vs the pga tour officials - seems like all the players should just create their own leagues. I mean owners in other sports are making billions off of the people actually playing the sport (emphasis on PLAYING)

10 minutes ago, BB65 said:

Upside would be playing in a tour they built and have control of the business end. Where the tour can no longer fuck them hard core as just happened. 

the tour was fucking them already. that is what Phil proved.  He just made them a shit ton more money.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

and that is different from all the other sports leagues exactly how?

team owners and league officials vs the pga tour officials - seems like all the players should just create their own leagues. I mean owners in other sports are making billions off of the people actually playing the sport (emphasis on PLAYING)

Its different because pro golfers are individuals that enter tournaments owned by the league or organization holding the tournament not a team owner as part of the league itself.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Well it was indeed a shotgun wedding, and the announcement was that they were having a baby! So when you combine PGA and LIV... I have some  baby name ideas!

PILVAG and VAGPIL immediately come to mind...  

FIGJAM Tour

Interesting take.  The Saudi's (PIF) basically bought the PGA Tour and LIV simply goes away?

I did hear a good interview that basically said both sides need to do this.  PGA was bleeding money and LIV had essentially zero viewers.  The PGA has had sponsors either push back on more money or drop out altogether.  

Edited by Aqua Buddha

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We'll see.  PIF owns LIV, so LIV's exclusion from the partnership language seems meaningless.

What need is there for it? 

Edit - other than to provide Pat Perez a path to $8 million in earnings

Edited by Blotto

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

What's the point of keeping LIV?  It gets zero ratings and it's on the CW for God's sake.

Well, the point was to play 54 holes, 4 man teams, have fewer tournaments, and "grow the game" by playing all over the world. I'm all for them scrapping it though. 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Interesting take.  The Saudi's (PIF) basically bought the PGA Tour and LIV simply goes away?

I did hear a good interview that basically said both sides need to do this.  PGA was bleeding money and LIV had essentially zero viewers.  The PGA has had sponsors either push back on more money or drop out altogether.  

looooooot of those sponsors don’t want to be associated with the Saudis 

If Tiger and Rory ever thought about starting a new golf tour... now would be the time. One could be funded and started overnight by the players.

Seriously though, what is PGA hiding that they didn't want to come out during the previously pending lawsuit discovery...

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

4 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Fuck team golf on tour. Why is that something that is being pushed? Zurich Classic is my least favorite event. 

Yeah, that is an awful format. I like team golf -- for high school or college. The only thing that would be interesting to me would be to see players representing their universities/colleges maybe once per year at a cool course. But how do you allocate the guys who never went to college or went somewhere with nobody else on Tour from there?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, that is an awful format. I like team golf -- for high school or college. The only thing that would be interesting to me would be to see players representing their universities/colleges maybe once per year at a cool course. But how do you allocate the guys who never went to college or went somewhere with nobody else on Tour from there?

Or guys who got kicked off of one college golf team for stealing from his teammates lockers and then had to finish up at a different school?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8