Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/2023 at 06:51 PM

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t think we are in a simulation because everything happens for a reason. I think we are in a simulation because it’s the most rational explanation for how much ridiculously stupid shit is happening. 

This is me. At some point you stop saying “this can’t be real” and you start saying “nah, this ain’t real.”

55 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It has to do with the odds of being in base reality dropping drastically once we know creating our own is possible. 

That's acting under the assumption that we're the only beings capable of doing so in the universe. Which is silly. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

The interesting thing about simulation hypothesis is using Bayesian Inference you can conclude the chances that we are a simulation increase drastically the moment we prove that we are capable of creating our own simulated universe. Until then it's just kind of a fun little philosophical exercise. 

The simulation hypothesis is a very old philosophical idea and interesting to think about, but it is not falsifiable and therefore not science. I'm amazed at how many here actually believe in it.  I thought it was just a running joke.  Too many people equate science with "seems reasonable to me." You can't look down upon religious folks for believing in unfalsifiable ideas if you also believe in unfalsifiable ideas. 

I was speaking with my cousin in law a few weeks back.  He’s a Catholic Priest.  Very Midwest social conservative as you’d expect.  But a Jesuit, so very enlightened and extremely intelligent.  We got to talking about there has never been a time in Christianity where people didn’t think they were living in the end times.  No written or oral records shows so much as a year where some people didn’t believe it was the end of days.  

and I asked him if we are the same.  We are in the same cycle of self absorption.  are we condemned to the same delusion to believe there is something truly unique to our epoch and existence.  He assured me, “no, there is no simulation.  The thing you feel in your bones behind all existence is still there and it loves you.  But this current timeline and what we have allow to pass.  This is truly fucked.  That much is true.”

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t think we are in a simulation because everything happens for a reason. I think we are in a simulation because it’s the most rational explanation for how much ridiculously stupid shit is happening. 

When you purposely tank public education for 35 years and feed that collective a seven layer dumbass burrito of talk radio, cable news, fringe forums and various social media gibberish you get this result. Nobody will wake up in an emulsion pod and get a refreshened course correction. If we do though, I prefer we not try jetpack guy again. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

I'm amazed at how many here actually believe in it.  I thought it was just a running joke. 

I mean a lot of the leading physicists in the world are starting to lean in that direction but sure we're all just a bunch of morons. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I mean a lot of the leading physicists in the world are starting to lean in that direction but sure we're all just a bunch of morons. 

Good to know.  We should dispense with the empirical method and just go with whatever the physicists start to lean towards. 

9 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

Good to know.  We should dispense with the empirical method and just go with whatever the physicists start to lean towards. 

So nothing exists until we've empirically proven that it exists.

Got it. Great world view. As long as you didn't see that lady get raped she didn't get raped. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Alls I know is for literally 100,000 years every single advanced band, tribe, community, village, society, civilization adhered to two rules---stealing and stupidity were bad.  It's the only way we made it this far.  And then sudden, literally the most advanced society that has ever existed in our solar system suddenly decided that those two rules were wrong.  I don't literally think we are in a simulation but it sure as fuck explains shit a lot better than anything else I've heard.  

Being stupid and stealing are no longer bad anymore if you have enough likes and followers online. This is why everything feels like a simulation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's acting under the assumption that we're the only beings capable of doing so in the universe. Which is silly. 

No that doesn't assume that at all. Bayesian Inference is a way to assign probabilities to a hypothesis as more information becomes available. It's a fun statistical analysis when applied to Simulation Hypothesis. We start with what we know today and use Bayes' Theorem to adjust probabilities based on different future data outcomes. When anus plugged into the analysis it flips the probability on it's head. 

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

No that doesn't assume that at all. Bayesian Inference is a way to assign probabilities to a hypothesis as more information becomes available. It's a fun statistical analysis when applied to Simulation Hypothesis. We start with what we know today and use Bayes' Theorem to adjust probabilities based on different future data outcomes. When anus plugged into the analysis it flips the probability on it's head. 

Using the Bayes shit assumes that we're the only people capable of designing a simulation. 

"We start with what we know today"

That's the point I'm making. WE don't know shit. It's highly likely there's something else out there that knows more than we do. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Got it. Great world view. As long as you didn't see that lady get raped she didn't get raped. 

I doubt either one of us are going learn anything or get any enjoyment out of this back and forth, so let's put a tourniquet on this exchange.

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

When anus plugged into the analysis it flips the probability on it's head. 

I think we can all agree on this. 

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

She was dancing around in front of the pinball machine in a denim skirt. We all saw it. 

Edited by Chooky

On 6/9/2023 at 3:48 PM, YGIFS said:
I love you guys.  But sometimes this site is a embarrassment to the University of Texas. Beyond just me and my shit.  Fucking A, get it together folks.  The former President of the United States sold top secret documents to foreign governments.  That’s sort of A news story.  A money laundering, ponZi scheme real estate guru used to post on here and we can’t really discuss his legal cover by the former AG of Texas because it hurts feelings.  I get not making everything political when there’s no need to.  But how much cover do we need to provide for stupid people?

What? Who?

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, axiom of foundation said:

I doubt either one of us are going learn anything or get any enjoyment out of this back and forth, so let's put a tourniquet on this exchange.

You made a dumb comment and I called you out on it. Now you're apparently done trying to defend it. Whatever floats your boat. 

The idea that we may exist in a simulation is at the forefront of the scientific community right now and it's one of the most difficult concepts we've ever attempted to grasp as a species. 

But apparently it's a silly idea because... we haven't proven it yet? Really? 

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

We explained away everything with mythology, folklore, and religion for 100,000 years.  Then we got wise and got science.  Then that proved too much to hold in our heads.  So we're devolving back to cults and stupidity.  The only reason we now know we're living in a simulation is because we advanced long enough to create simulations on our own and can finally see reality for what it is.  A game show host lied to the FBI about selling state secrets to terrorist organizations and 40% of this message board thinks it's Jesus telling us to help him regain power.  And we're not living inside a computer?  This is an utter and total embarrassment to the University of Texas.  I know some people depend on this site for their livelihood, but fucking hell...have some fucking self respect you fucking cunts.   

Why are you carrying on about this website and this thread being an embarrassment? 

Go read any thread on this site and you'll find embarrassment. You're taking this way too seriously. Nobody thinks this site is anything but crazy talk. Hell, there is a thread about some Nigro. This place is not to be taken seriously. Even in death, we're a bunch of clowns. 

It's total schtick. 

• Haha 3

I know.  I just wish so many parents of students didn’t read it.  In the end it’s a mirror held up to a very blessed state that is doing everything it can to be as fucking stupid as possible.  I just didn’t see this part coming.  And I’m lashing out on people outta frustration for myself.  

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I know.  I just wish so many parents of students didn’t read it.  In the end it’s a mirror held up to a very blessed state that is doing everything it can to be as fucking stupid as possible.  I just didn’t see this part coming.  And I’m lashing out on people outta frustration for myself.  

We ARE the parents. It's not that serious. Nobody cares. This place is for entertainment purposes only. Hell, even serious things turn into clown shows. We owned a BBQ trailer and even that was a cluster of epic proportions. 

Nothing here is real. Nobody takes this stuff seriously. Relax. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Why are you carrying on about this website and this thread being an embarrassment? 

Go read any thread on this site and you'll find embarrassment. You're taking this way too seriously. Nobody thinks this site is anything but crazy talk. Hell, there is a thread about some Nigro. This place is not to be taken seriously. Even in death, we're a bunch of clowns. 

It's total schtick. 

You are mistaken.  This is a very serious website where we fight against the rise of global fascism that this computer simulation we call reality is trying to push on us.  What do you think would happen if we stopped posting memes and linking to tweets?  

52 minutes ago, Slacks said:

It's total schtick. 

Sir, I'll have you know I am a respectable buffoon, not a mere clown.  I was classically trained.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 6/9/2023 at 5:17 PM, hayden_horn said:

congrats. you were a bad actor and received appropriate punishment. or you got caught up in a sweep. whatever. plenty of bans were handed out in both the covid threads and the blm threads. and any number of other fucking threads. that doesn't mean that every "bannable" offense or whatever the fuck got 100% justice according to whoever.

i'm not taking any fucking blame here. yall go out of your way to make this political, then bitch to me that i'm not doing it right or that i'm unfairly taking one side or another or that @immamac and/or @blacklab have some sort of inherent bias or goal or moderating objective. you know what our agenda is? leave us the fuck alone and act like fucking adults. yall argue like teenagers over stupid intangible shit, and i still don't see what the end goal is.

yall expect us to somehow be perfect, and it's not possible. not only that, but you are framing and viewing our supposed lack of perfection through a lens of your own crafting, then complaining to us about the focus or lack thereof.

our goal is not to treat anyone "special." jesus christ, everyone is such a victim. we try to keep the politics and the news separate to the degree possible while making the most posters as happy as possible while at the same time trying to stand by the principles of the board, of which there are remarkably few, and every one gets pissed.

hell, i even made a mistake and made a trump post on a dt thread that got deleted by another mod, and rightfully so. it was a mistake and i regret making it.

we are (mostly) real people here all dealing with real lives and real shit behind our fake screen names. our goal is to try and separate bad actor trolls and bots from the real people with different opinions.

it's not as easy as yall might think.

What happened to you?

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

I'm curious who are these (currently) 13 people out of 147 who think/voted that this is somehow NOT a relevant current events topic?

I voted No... Because I think it's a dumb question. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What happened to you?

I think he got tired or being blamed for shit over and over repeatedly the last few days. The please do this better thread already had this same convo. And I think most peoples gripes are over someone else and he's tired of catching strays.

But that's just my observations from this. Most of the infighting is my favorite shit to read though lol. 

Message boards. Serious business.

6 hours ago, royiv said:

Lol. You post too much and litter the board with trash. 

Oh, you’re young.  You’ll bounce back.  Just use the scroll deal on your mouse/phone.  To be honest, I think the heat is making me pissy.  

It’s apparently easier to complain over and over again.  Kinda like Trump on elections.  Circle of life Simba.  

Anyway, back to this indictment.  The tacit threats already being made to prosecutors and grand jurors is more disturbing to many of us who knew it would happen but over time and not so overtly.  But to discuss a literal second civil war would possibly hurt feelings of a handful of dipshits here so we’ll take it to another thread.  

an older rat that has seen some things.  And become obese from a good diet.  It knows a predator when it sees one.  It is cornered.  And it knows how that ends.  It is too old and fat to outrun the predator.  And will absolutely not be locked up in a cage.  Ever.  So the rat will succumb to nature.  It will suffer a cardiac event and die before a more grim outcome ensues.  That’s all that’s going to happen here.  Two Washington exterminators along with one from Georgia and one from New York are going to cause the rat to experience a health event and die.  But nobody here ever voted for him so it shouldn’t be s big deal.  

• Beau Vine changed the title to Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)
  • blacklab locked this topic