Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/23 at 06:51 PM

Look, it's not news when a defendant brings up the young children of the prosecutor, okay.  That's how our judicial system works.  You got your due process, your disclosure, your evidentiary procedure...and then the names and ages of the left chair's kids.  This is why our rule of law is the envy of the world.

Yeah, hard to believe he's doesn't believe the dude's last name is "Smith."  And then Bidden, not Biden.  And then "extorted".  All these years, it was supposedly bribery.  Now it's extortion.  Those are not interchangeable terms.  If I extort a foreign government, that is completely different from being bribed, or bribing, a foreign government.  

noCR, just reporting on the inane ramblings of an important public figure.  Once again, I really don't like it when people in legal peril mention other people's families.  

csb/ When I was 11 years old, my father was re-negotiating a union contract with a large midwestern trucking carrier.  And the other side didn't like it, and they let my father know that.  After a few days, I was walking my dog at night.  And my mother ran down the street and told me to get inside.  One guy had apparently let slip they would be willing to scoop me up for a few days (no harm or threats of violence, just a holding period).  Sam Giancana's son-in-law, Jimmy D. (a childhood friend of my father's) brokered a deal in the end and these IBT reps were made to remember you don't bring up families no matter how shitty it gets.  From low level street gangs in South Chicago to Mafia-backed trucking unions, you never, ever, ever mention a man's family.  Even as a veiled threat.  Ever.  And this dipshit still doesn't get it.  It's impossible he's this fucking stupid.     

I mean, that does qualify as news-correct?  NoCR, but that was surreal to listen to someone explain in detail their alleged criminal activity and then at the end...explain it away.  It was like watched Jeffrey Dahmer confess to killing and eating people and then at the end he says "But I didn't swallow"  

In first 48, the criminals are all dumb, lured to speaking without an attorney present, and guided to confess to murder, but give a good reason for why they murdered (“I had to shoot first because later she might shoot me”). The police then say “sure thats a good motive, I mean reason to murder someone”.

Or “I shot her because she was coming at me with a knife”. The detectives nod in agreement but later have proof there was no knife and the girlfriend was shot in the back while sleeping or something.

Trump is dumb like those dudes.

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

In first 48, the criminals are all dumb, lured to speaking without an attorney present, and guided to confess to murder, but give a good reason for why they murdered (“I had to shoot first because later she might shoot me”). The police then say “sure thats a good motive, I mean reason to murder someone”.

Or “I shot her because she was coming at me with a knife”. The detectives nod in agreement but later have proof there was no knife and the girlfriend was shot in the back while sleeping or something.

Trump is dumb like those dudes.

He's so dumb he's almost smart.  He floods the zone with explanations for what he did....so you can never pick just one.  Zoom in on the obvious criminal confession scenario?  "But I also said I did it for X reason and Y reason, and also that I didn't do it at all!"

You guys are getting too CR.  This is for news about an American being unduly targeted by our judicial system.  

and the capital of Nebraska.  is Lincoln.  

I forgot to add (edit)---I was once asked for a few quotes on a friend for his biography (true story) from the writer.  So I prepared a few notes just to make sure I was concise and accurate.  One of my quotes actually appears in the book, though I don't appear in the index which is fine.  But what really upset me is neither the author nor the editor took note of my home addition plans during the interview.  Which I think is bullshit.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

He's so dumb he's almost smart.  He floods the zone with explanations for what he did....so you can never pick just one.  Zoom in on the obvious criminal confession scenario?  "But I also said I did it for X reason and Y reason, and also that I didn't do it at all!"

And he will never go under oath 

30 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Screenshot 2023-06-28 084249.png

Put the political position aside (his running for office) for a moment and just imagine if this was your boss at a Fortune 500 company.

Imagine the text messages from your friends who see his social media posts and copy them to you, making fun of you working at such a company.

Granted, in such a situation, his posts would be "IF I WASN'T RUNNING THIS COMPANY NONE OF MY EMPLOYEES WOULD HAVE A JOB! OUR COMPETITORS ARE CORRUPT AND THEY ARE ONLY COMPETING WITH US BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE ME EVEN THOUGH I'M WINNING ALL THE TIME.  MY SUPPLIERS ARE VERY CORRUPT AND ARE CONSTANTLY TRYING TO RIP US OFF BUT I'M FIGHTING THEM AND IT'S A BADGE OF HONOR AND COURAGE THAT FINANCIAL MAGAZINES AND NEWSPAPERS MAKE FUN OF ME, BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY MAKING FUN OF MY CUSTOMERS, THAT'S WHAT THIS BOILS DOWN TO, IT'S NOT ABOUT ME, IT'S ABOUT MY CUSTOMERS THAT THEY HATE!"

I get what you're saying.  It's an original metaphor.  But politics aside (and you did a good job at that), you're dismissing that nobody ever jumped ship on him.  Nobody left his administration, there was no massive attrition at Trump Organization.  His lawyers are the exact same people as they were 7 years ago.  Politics or Fortune 500 company, nobody leaves his orbit because messages like the one you cited ring true and honest.  

I think you're just projecting your own enterprise America shit onto this indictment situation because you can't see employee loyalty for what it is.  It's not political, it's about being true to your core.  Also, I have copies of many magazines.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Politics or Fortune 500 company, nobody leaves his orbit because messages like the one you cited ring true and honest.  

I think you're just projecting your own enterprise America shit onto this indictment situation because you can't see employee loyalty for what it is.  It's not political, it's about being true to your core. 

XwyTu0tQsd09nRynTI2QQBqXeD9RYwAFXc6hQH8-

• Haha 4

So I tried using the "Off the Record" defense with my wife this morning when I said something she didn't like.  Apparently "off the record" only works to keep a quote out of a printed/digital work.  Has zero power when it comes to wives or juries.  I learn something new about our judicial system and my marriage every day.  

It was sarcastic hyperbole.  No cabinet in American history ever had more attrition in one term than the previous one.  Unless you count the cabinet in "Designated Survivor.  I would consider that level of attrition to be explosive.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Didn't like 60% of America watch the O.J. chase live as it happened?  

I'd bet at least 60% of America saw the George Floyd murder at one point or another online.  

If they can seat a jury for those trials with impartiality despite all the 24/7 news coverage of them, they can seat one for this.

We need to remember 90% of Americans, even the ones that vote and have matching hats, don't follow politics actively.  They think they do, but they just seek out a quick soundbite that confirms the goofy shit knocking around in their brain.  The vast, vast majority of our fellow citizens, especially in Florida, have no idea about most of this case.  Not taking sides of the case here, but if Jack Smith can sniff out a jury pool for war crimes, I'm pretty sure he can strike Florida Man claiming he has no political motivations whatsoever, for wanting to be on the jury so fucking bad.  

First rule of voir dire in Florida, is look for the guy raising his hand like Horseshack from "Welcome Back Kotter"  

Yeah, but not legally  

I honestly wonder if Trump has thought about using the insanity defense?  It doesn't seem that far-fetched in this case since no reasonable person would ever take Iranian war plans to a golf course.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, but not legally  

I honestly wonder if Trump has thought about using the insanity defense?  It doesn't seem that far-fetched in this case since no reasonable person would ever take Iranian war plans to a golf course.  

Or show them to kid rock in some sort of braggadocios display.  

On 6/20/2023 at 10:57 AM, Samson's Wig said:

While the trial start date will almost certainly get pushed back, I'm still thinking about canceling that Miami trip we had planned in August.  

Can we all set aside Trump's crimes and stupidity and point and laugh at this silly motherfucker who's going to Miami in August?  Good God man.  Miami is OK for 5 months a year.  August isn't one of those months*

*GF's sister who lives in Coral Gables has already told us to expect her to be in our guest room for most of August, because Miami is a hellscape in August.  I once went there in August for family reasons.  I rented an Impala for $7.00 a day.  I'm not bullshitting. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Reports of 45 more felonies incoming. Who's counting at this point?

Special counsel Jack Smith is reportedly ready to drop a hammer blow of up to 45 additional criminal charges on former President Donald Trump in the classified documents case, especially if Trump-friendly Judge Aileen Cannon looks set to thwart the case.

The ex-Brooklyn prosecutor is prepared to bring additional charges in various federal jurisdictions against Trump based in part on multiple additional incriminating tapes of Trump, The Independent reported Thursday, quoting “people familiar with the matter.”

Prosecutors are readying what is known as a superseding indictment in part as a back-up plan in case Cannon seeks to stall or derail the case against Trump that was filed in the southern district of Florida, in which Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort home is located, the paper said.

The new charges could come “in the coming weeks.”

One likely venue for additional charges against Trump would be New Jersey because Trump allegedly kept and even showed off some of the highly classified documents to aides at his Bedminster golf resort.

Smith’s team is poised to “stack (an) additional 30 to 45 charges” on Trump as well as top aides based on what the paper described as fresh evidence that is not yet publicly known, including more tapes of Trump.

The report suggests Smith’s team is deeply concerned about the possibility that Cannon could act in unforeseen ways to protect Trump.

Cannon, an arch-conservative with very limited experience on the bench, issued several rulings that sought to protect Trump after the August 2022 search of Mar-a-Lago turned up more than 100 classified documents that Trump kept in defiance of a federal subpoena.

She even made a bizarre claim that Trump holds a special status as a former president that merits deferential treatment from prosecutors. A conservative appeals court panel overturned Cannon’s ruling in a sharply worded ruling.

The report about Smith’s aggressive plans came on the same day that a separate published report said the Miami grand jury that indicted Trump is still investigating different aspects of the classified documents case.

The panel has issued new subpoenas since Trump was charged, suggesting the south Florida panel could wind up issuing its own new charges or adding evidence to the 37 counts that Trump already faces there, The New York Times reported.

Meanwhile a trusted campaign aide to former President Donald Trump has been revealed as a key figure in special counsel Jack Smith’s classified documents probe.

Susie Wiles, a top official in Trump’s failed reelection bid, is the person to whom Trump allegedly showed a classified map in summer 2021, ABC News first reported late Wednesday, citing sources.

Wiles is only identified in the indictment of Trump as a “PAC Representative” who was meeting with the former president when he showed off the map during a discussion of what he said was a deteriorating security situation in the unnamed nation.

Trump told Wiles that he “should not be showing the map” to her and “not to get too close,” the indictment claims.

The damning episode is cited in the indictment along with Trump’s caught-on-tape claim to show a highly classified plan for a U.S. attack on Iran to book researchers at Bedminster in 2021.

The incidents could amount to powerful evidence against Trump because they show he knew he held onto classified information and that he wanted to use the documents for his own personal reasons.

Trump has spun various excuses for his actions, including most recently asserting that he was only expressing “bravado” in the Bedminster meeting and didn’t actually have any classified documents.

Legal analysts say the tape would likely prove very persuasive evidence to a jury, despite Trump’s denial. The classified map incident could further bolster the case against Trump, especially since his own top aide would be the one relating the episode.

• Hook 'Em 2

Reports of 45 more felonies incoming. Who's counting at this point?

Special counsel Jack Smith is reportedly ready to drop a hammer blow of up to 45 additional criminal charges on former President Donald Trump in the classified documents case, especially if Trump-friendly Judge Aileen Cannon looks set to thwart the case.

The ex-Brooklyn prosecutor is prepared to bring additional charges in various federal jurisdictions against Trump based in part on multiple additional incriminating tapes of Trump, The Independent reported Thursday, quoting “people familiar with the matter.”

Prosecutors are readying what is known as a superseding indictment in part as a back-up plan in case Cannon seeks to stall or derail the case against Trump that was filed in the southern district of Florida, in which Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort home is located, the paper said.

The new charges could come “in the coming weeks.”

One likely venue for additional charges against Trump would be New Jersey because Trump allegedly kept and even showed off some of the highly classified documents to aides at his Bedminster golf resort.

Smith’s team is poised to “stack (an) additional 30 to 45 charges” on Trump as well as top aides based on what the paper described as fresh evidence that is not yet publicly known, including more tapes of Trump.

The report suggests Smith’s team is deeply concerned about the possibility that Cannon could act in unforeseen ways to protect Trump.

Cannon, an arch-conservative with very limited experience on the bench, issued several rulings that sought to protect Trump after the August 2022 search of Mar-a-Lago turned up more than 100 classified documents that Trump kept in defiance of a federal subpoena.

She even made a bizarre claim that Trump holds a special status as a former president that merits deferential treatment from prosecutors. A conservative appeals court panel overturned Cannon’s ruling in a sharply worded ruling.

The report about Smith’s aggressive plans came on the same day that a separate published report said the Miami grand jury that indicted Trump is still investigating different aspects of the classified documents case.

The panel has issued new subpoenas since Trump was charged, suggesting the south Florida panel could wind up issuing its own new charges or adding evidence to the 37 counts that Trump already faces there, The New York Times reported.

Meanwhile a trusted campaign aide to former President Donald Trump has been revealed as a key figure in special counsel Jack Smith’s classified documents probe.

Susie Wiles, a top official in Trump’s failed reelection bid, is the person to whom Trump allegedly showed a classified map in summer 2021, ABC News first reported late Wednesday, citing sources.

Wiles is only identified in the indictment of Trump as a “PAC Representative” who was meeting with the former president when he showed off the map during a discussion of what he said was a deteriorating security situation in the unnamed nation.

Trump told Wiles that he “should not be showing the map” to her and “not to get too close,” the indictment claims.

The damning episode is cited in the indictment along with Trump’s caught-on-tape claim to show a highly classified plan for a U.S. attack on Iran to book researchers at Bedminster in 2021.

The incidents could amount to powerful evidence against Trump because they show he knew he held onto classified information and that he wanted to use the documents for his own personal reasons.

Trump has spun various excuses for his actions, including most recently asserting that he was only expressing “bravado” in the Bedminster meeting and didn’t actually have any classified documents.

Legal analysts say the tape would likely prove very persuasive evidence to a jury, despite Trump’s denial. The classified map incident could further bolster the case against Trump, especially since his own top aide would be the one relating the episode.

It’s like that seen in Teen Wolf where Styles comes to the party with a keg, expecting to be a hero. The jocks tell him to put it out back with all the others.
  • Haha 3

How many charges do you need to hit to get the free set of steak knives?  

To keep this news related, like it or not...take away all the fluff...the flag...the bald eagle...the hot dogs...hot women...two protective oceans...and the moon landing.

The world looks to us for 5 things every single day when it comes to trade, peace, and cooperation:

1.  The peaceful transition of power in a Democracy

2.  The world's reserve currency

3.  The rule of law

4.  The United States Military 

5.  The world's largest economy

You can have 1 or 2 be fucked up in a given week, but not for long.  And can certainly cannot have 3 or 4 go wrong at the same time, ever.  It effects the way other countries look at us, it effects private trade, commodity pricing, interest rates, the UN, peacekeeping missions, global soft power posture (aid, assistance, disaster relief, diplomacy).  It shakes up global equities, incites violence/quashed peace, and makes bad people even more nervous.  Jack Smith, and then Georgia, and then New York...they have to get every single thing by the book on this or #3 takes a kick to the nuts for the foreseeable future.  Good news is the JV equipment for #4 is about to topple one of the world's oldest empires.  so that's pretty cool.  

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Can we all set aside Trump's crimes and stupidity and point and laugh at this silly motherfucker who's going to Miami in August?  Good God man.  Miami is OK for 5 months a year.  August isn't one of those months*

*GF's sister who lives in Coral Gables has already told us to expect her to be in our guest room for most of August, because Miami is a hellscape in August.  I once went there in August for family reasons.  I rented an Impala for $7.00 a day.  I'm not bullshitting. 

Well, sure.  But it's not anywhere near as hot and disgusting as Texas at the same time, so still an improvement. 

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

How many charges do you need to hit to get the free set of steak knives?  

To keep this news related, like it or not...take away all the fluff...the flag...the bald eagle...the hot dogs...hot women...two protective oceans...and the moon landing.

The world looks to us for 5 things every single day when it comes to trade, peace, and cooperation:

1.  The peaceful transition of power in a Democracy

2.  The world's reserve currency

3.  The rule of law

4.  The United States Military 

5.  The world's largest economy

You can have 1 or 2 be fucked up in a given week, but not for long.  And can certainly cannot have 3 or 4 go wrong at the same time, ever.  It effects the way other countries look at us, it effects private trade, commodity pricing, interest rates, the UN, peacekeeping missions, global soft power posture (aid, assistance, disaster relief, diplomacy).  It shakes up global equities, incites violence/quashed peace, and makes bad people even more nervous.  Jack Smith, and then Georgia, and then New York...they have to get every single thing by the book on this or #3 takes a kick to the nuts for the foreseeable future.  Good news is the JV equipment for #4 is about to topple one of the world's oldest empires.  so that's pretty cool.  

*affects

Not sure if it’s thread worthy.  But a criminal out on bail was caught last night literally right outside the Obama home with 2 long guns and 400 rounds with the intent to murder the former first family.  Is that news anymore or just Thursday in this timeline?  Like he didn’t write a letter or have his home raided.  They found him and his van that he lives in on their street and he knew which one was theirs.  Not sure the rifle or ammo type, I’ll let our ballistics experts chime In. Also a machete and Molotov cocktail. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Not sure if it’s thread worthy.  But a criminal out on bail was caught last night literally right outside the Obama home with 2 long guns and 400 rounds with the intent to murder the former first family.  Is that news anymore or just Thursday in this timeline?  Like he didn’t write a letter or have his home raided.  They found him and his van that he lives in on their street and he knew which one was theirs.  Not sure the rifle or ammo type, I’ll let our ballistics experts chime In. Also a machete and Molotov cocktail. 

ajGNPQE5_700w_0.jpg.38448a800d23d51d9651f9c2d3ac01e9.jpg