Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/23 at 06:51 PM

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- literally their most frequently chanted mantra is "lock her up!" in reference to Drumpf's first presidential opponent.

To say nothing of the fact that they wanted her locked up for the alleged mishandling of classified or state secret information.  

But also simultaneously what Trump is accused of is no big deal?

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's yet another Mount Rushmore-sized sign of the ridiculous cognitive dissonance by the MAGATs.

1 -- literally their most frequently chanted mantra is "lock her up!" in reference to Drumpf's first presidential opponent.

2 -- nothing is more evil and heinous than the justice system going after a political opponent.

They hold both of those thoughts in their head at the exact same time, and don't understand why the rest of us correctly view them as fucking morons.

And I try to look at both sides of an issue, and I am certain that Hillary (and Bill) were both using their offices and status to solicit funds to their charities. I was never as disappointed in the Presidential candidates as I was in the 2016 election; but 2024 is standing right there saying you ain't seen nothing yet. If the two major parties turn this into a repeat of the prior election then I have reached a point voting for Ralph Nader, Ross Perot, or even Alfred E. Neuman rather than one of the 2 leading candidates.

(sorry to head down the CR path - I will excuse myself from this thread for the rest of the day)

• Like 1

JFC, watch that video and think of the people rallying and what is happening inside that court docket.  And police and secret service having to chase people down.  We are a fucking clown show to the rest of the world.  Some of y'all used to say that but it was political hyperbole because your side wasn't winning.  I've been on all sides (that's what she said).  We are now an official shitshow globally.  

We have morons trying to stop a presidential motorcade who overtook local police but had to be dealt with by secret service who needed help from local 'marchers' who were blended in with protesters to scream support for a former head of state who had to go check in and say 'Nope, I did not sell state secrets' so that cops could apparently head into that Chick-Fil-A afterwards while insanity brewed along the streets near a Starbuck's.  While the guy that none of you voter for laughed and will probably be dead from the stress of it all before the election we're all jerking off to.  Holy shit, what a perfect video to encapsulate America.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 10:20 AM, Wally Fairway said:

I am not saying if it is right or wrong that he was charged

I don’t think it’s possible to 

1) read the indictment

and

2) have this opinion

while

3) not thinking that this is a conspiracy that goes up the top, they are making things up out of whole cloth, etc

It’s being reported editorialized in some places that this is political or over nothing or similar to things that other people have done without consequence, and that is either an uninformed opinion or a lie, depending on who it is coming from. Read the indictment.

*edit* not at you Wally I get what you are saying and think it is different than "who knows", just addressing the silliness/dishonesty of questioning whether sharing ultra top military secrets with kid rock/leaving them strewn about a sprawling low security complex and then actively lying about it and working to obstruct their recovery by the government merits a charge. Thinking it might not is stupid.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Dude ran on a platform of “LOCK HER UP”, signed a law creating stiffer penalties for stealing classified docs, then got arrested for stealing classified docs and is going to be locked up.

Say it with me folks: Sim. U. Lation.

Better than that: he significantly increased penalties and made the laws much more stringent after he campaigned for and signed his 2018 law. Hoisted by his own petard. 

And ya know, we've sent folks to FPMITA prison and Leavenworth for leaking far less consequential stuff. I still can't believe we had nuclear secrets and HUMINT stored in a shitter that Saudi, Russian, Chinese, and everyone else's spies had unfettered access to. 

The indictment lays out the sort of documents that are being charged over, it's quite a fucking shock to read. 

• Like 1

Maybe it was both sides of my family being very proud immigrants to America and almost all the males serving in uniform that did not allow me to buy into the bullshit of “we are a global embarrassment” during Clinton, Bush 43, Obama, Trump, or Biden.  

But this is me not giving fuck one about your politics nor your feelings.  This is a fucking out and out shitshow and it’s about to get a whole lot fucking worse.  You think it’s embarrassing we left some tanks in Afghanistan?  You’re really not gonna like what happens next. 

47 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

This is a fucking out and out shitshow and it’s about to get a whole lot fucking worse.  You think it’s embarrassing we left some tanks in Afghanistan?  You’re really not gonna like what happens next. 

"May you live in interesting times."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

It's by design just as reality tv shows and professional wrestling are designed to manufacture conflict.

So you're saying this literal hall of fame wrestling heel and reality TV star may in fact be intentionally cranking up the conflict??

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

quoted for truth

In my late teens and early 20s I was in a music group that spent a shit ton of time touring North America on crummy old busses.  I decided I would try to read my way out of road boredom.  I started with the great American novels I hadn't read in high school, but eventually found a couple of Elie Wiesel books at a small bookstore on tour.

Holy shit.  That guy had an extraordinary life and an amazing capacity to find good in darkness.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Yeah, his writings and the one and only personal appearance with me have always resonated.  Especially the last couple years with me as I am trying to be more loving and at peace.  I have met a handful of survivors and to a person, they all have a similar message (I don't ask but the usually try to hit on it in old age just like veterans finally open up in their final years).  It is almost always along the lines of "We are not to fear the darkness, but rather to be grow weary of those who cannot see the light."  It seems we have to go through this somewhere around the world every generation.  We just can't help ourselves.  And it may be a cautionary tale.  A "Cassandra Complex" by some extension.   

Mr. Wiesel was an early impetus for me to try to be a better person.  A fool's errand I know, but his works and words have become more important for me in the last couple of years.  A sisyphus tribulation, but worth the laborious efforts.  

But these people are going to start turning on one another as the struggle for true power from within begins.  And I will do everything I can to make sure they murder one another.  Because I am not anywhere near as solemnified or forgiving as Mr. Wiesel.  Some bad people are going to have to die.  And I've made my peace with that.  I suggest the rest of you do the same.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

Federal Law Enforcement officials have literally and materially issued warnings about high likelihoods of of GOP on GOP violence due to internal fractures within the party over certain candidates and legal developments.  The warnings have already been issued and will grow more robust and widespread until Autumn of 2024.  If you think this is all in my head, you don't read so well.  It is a completely legitimate warning that should give our nation pause.  

But I guess to your point, it is going to be awfully fun to wind these stupids up.  Watch firearm purchases spike in the next 6 months.  That's not due to the "Biden is coming for your guns" narrative.  It's for something else, altogether.  

• Like 1

I have read a lot of those MAGA keyboard warriors on several gun boards. 
They are a bunch of wannbe rebel windbags who won’t venture very far from their beer fridges. 
We saw what happened to their “revolutionary ardor” after the 1/6 idiots like Bison Boy started going to jail. 
They folded up like a cheap accordion.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I have read a lot of those MAGA keyboard warriors on several gun boards. 
They are a bunch of wannbe rebel windbags who won’t venture very far from their beer fridges. 
We saw what happened to their “revolutionary ardor” after the 1/6 idiots like Bison Boy started going to jail. 
They folded up like a cheap accordion.

We should send a consistent message to them: they are cowards.  If they were real men, who practiced what they preached, they'd arm up and attack the FBI HQ promptly.  Functionally, we should be telling these Gravy Seals a whole lot of

do-it-come-on.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Let's say gun and ammo sales start spiking in the near future.  What are the laws regarding the purchase of large quantities of ammo at current prices and selling them on craigslist in the future at higher prices?  Say, without any license, if such a thing might technically be required?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We should send a consistent message to them: they are cowards.  If they were real men, who practiced what they preached, they'd arm up and attack the FBI HQ promptly.  Functionally, we should be telling these Gravy Seals a whole lot of

do-it-come-on.gif

I believe the preferred nomenclature is Meal Team 6 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's say gun and ammo sales start spiking in the near future.  What are the laws regarding the purchase of large quantities of ammo at current prices and selling them on craigslist in the future at higher prices?  Say, without any license, if such a thing might technically be required?

Asking for a friend.

There are none. That kind of stuff happens all the time and always exacerbates things when there is a shortage. 

and the margins get increasingly more attractive when the potential/actual buyers are led to believe there's an internal civil war coming whereby certain other primary candidates are going to double down of the legal efforts of their hero.  Which of course they won't, but the stupids won't know that. 

On 6/13/2023 at 3:55 PM, 'stache said:

Sounds like the bible, minus the computer.

You think the highly scientific simulation hypothesis sounds like the bible?  That's sacrilege in sci-fi mythology.  

Regarding some of his claims that are core to the defendants defense strategy: he didn't even have authority to declassify some of the nuclear weapons documents he stole (Source: Reuters)

WASHINGTON, June 18 (Reuters) - Even when he was president, Donald Trump lacked the legal authority to declassify a U.S. nuclear weapons-related document that he is charged with illegally possessing, security experts said, contrary to the former U.S. president’s claim.

The secret document, listed as No. 19 in the indictment charging Trump with endangering national security, can under the Atomic Energy Act only be declassified through a process that by the statute involves the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense.

For that reason, the experts said, the nuclear document is unique among the 31 in the indictment because the declassification of the others is governed by executive order. 

“The claim that he (Trump) could have declassified it is not relevant in the case of the nuclear weapons information because it was not classified by executive order but by law,” said Steven Aftergood, a government secrecy expert with the Federation of Atomic Scientists.

The special status of nuclear-related information further erodes what many legal experts say is a weak defense centered around declassification. Without providing evidence, Trump has claimed he declassified the documents before removing them from the White House.

But Aftergood and other experts said that the Atomic Energy Act (AEA) of 1954 - under which the Department of Energy oversees the U.S. nuclear arsenal - defines a process for declassifying nuclear weapons data, some of the U.S. government’s most closely guarded secrets.

“The statute is very clear. There’s nothing that says the president can make that decision,” said a former U.S. national security official familiar with the classification system, who asked to remain anonymous.  

The most sensitive nuclear weapons information is classified as "RD," for Restricted Data, and covers warhead designs and uranium and plutonium production, according to a DOE guide entitled “Understanding Classification.”

The Department of Energy downgrades from RD to FRD nuclear weapons data it needs to share with the Pentagon, but the materials remain classified, experts said.

Materials classified as FRD include data on the U.S. arsenal size, the storage and safety of warheads, their locations and their yields or power, according to the guide.

FRD information only can be declassified through a process governed by the AEA in which the secretaries of energy and defense determine that the designation “may be removed,” according to a Justice Department FAQ sheet.

Hoo boy the documents were tagged with "FRD", and from the Reuters reporting that means:

Materials classified as FRD include data on the U.S. arsenal size, the storage and safety of warheads, their locations and their yields or power, according to the guide.

Why the hell would he be keeping that around where Chinese and Saudi and Russian and (insert nation/entity here) spies could peruse at their leisure??

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

csb/ a few years ago, I helped to work on the UT System's application to oversee the Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory (I had to scrub my poster history from Cruiser to Lobo at the time but only because I had made some mentions of some Regent gossip).  They eventually lost out to A&M (Rick Perry was Energy Secretary so stands to reason).  I was just helping with a few bullet points on corporate partnerships and logistics.  #99 outta 100 involved folks.  Had to go through all kinda background checks 'n shit just to see the application, let alone the actual shit at Los Alamos which was all over my head anyway. 

Standard protocol was don't repeat this, don't do that, stay over here, etc., etc.  And one extreme point they made...you won't ever see them.  But in the bizarre instance you see anything labeled "FRD" during your site visit...don't look at it, report it to security immediately.  You won't, but in the one in a million chance, here's what you do.  And if in the beyond impossible occurrence you see one and look at it and/or take it, we will make sure you spend every day of the rest of your life in federal prison.  But you don't have to worry about that because you don't have to stay in federal blackbox prison if you're no longer breathing.  The guy was actually cool about it, but I certainly got the vibe before our tour.  

But apparently you can now pick 'em up and sell them for hamburgers.  

• Rage+1 2

On 6/16/2023 at 3:25 PM, longhornmatt said:

You fixate way too much on the idea that widespread violence is going to break out over politics in America and that a bunch of people are going to start murdering each other - and perhaps more importantly, that you’re going to relish it when a lot of people on the wrong side are killed.  This is getting to be a daily occurrence with your posts.

If you’re trying to get to a better place mentally, stop indulging in those thoughts so much.  I mean this sincerely, not in a snarky way.   You’re obviously not entirely joking, and it’s not healthy.

Most of the credible assessments that I've seen put the probability of widespread organized political violence between now and the end of 2025 at around 15-20%. Do you disagree and does that feel low or high to you?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Most of the credible assessments that I've seen put the probability of widespread organized political violence between now and the end of 2025 at around 15-20%. Do you disagree and does that feel low or high to you?

Much more concerned about political shenanigans. But, unfortunately, that’s a CR topic.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s the credible estimate I’ve seen from people I take real serious.  This ain’t just my shit; this may actually happen.  

i guess we’ll get reported for CR, but I kinda feel Like legit threats of usurping American society are kinda news topics.  

but the three main buckets as I inferred are:

-people don’t like all the court dates and arraignments and jury selections.  So they start shit in FL, GA, DC, or NY

-people don’t like what happens between November 2024 and January 2025.  So they start shit.  Certainly no precedent for that

-people don’t like what happens when political opposition points out said court dates and charges.  So they start shit and events and debates and primaries. 

The real fun is when you add in the false flag trick.  Or the lack of one.  But again; it’s not news worthy 

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

-people don’t like all the court dates and arraignments and jury selections.  So they start shit in FL, GA, DC, or NY

-people don’t like what happens between November 2024 and January 2025.  So they start shit.  Certainly no precedent for that

Anybody not willing to start shit on a large scale between November of 2020 and January 6 of 2021 is not going to start shit now, especially as they've seen hundreds of people racking up prison time, felony records, lost jobs, etc.

Sure, there maybe lone wolves here and there, but hell, with Trump's latest indictment, the only person starting shit was a dude who wanted Trump to go to jail and was dressed like Hamburglar trying to get Trump's attention.

But remember he had no primary competition and no vast set of legal challenges over his head.  He was just the presumptive victor as incumbent under some vague politically charged investigations from the 'Deep State.'  Now we're are dealing with real courts.  Real DA's.  Real judges.  Courthouses that look more identifiable than vague house committee rooms.  And he has legitimate primary opponents.  NoCR, and nobody polling terribly close.  But there will be physical court dates.  Not just days of Adam Schiff waxing poetic on the House Floor on C-SPAN.  Actual days in multiple venues with multiple opponents talking about indictment after indictment after indictment.  That is going to trigger someone.  Probably a lone wolf as you say.  But what happens next year is going make January 6th look like a fraternity prank gone sideways.  

The DT newsworthy events will be that somebody stirs up some people to think that other people at the same events are false flag operators, deep state supporters, somebody from the other primary teams, et. al.  People that look like they belong there but are there for nefarious reasons to undermine the effort for a former President to run for office and hold classified documents.  You get enough of that wound up, and you get people opening fire on one another or at least being shot by police/marshals.  One could probably get dozens, if not hundreds over several venues and dates to engage in either false-fratricide or shot by LEO.  And they wouldn't know anything about the bullshit behind it until the bodies were in the ground.  But again, they've brought the risk assessment to light.  They are the ones concerned.  They are not in any way looking to outside parties to stir up shit.  

Edited by YGIFS

On 6/18/2023 at 10:09 AM, Captainant said:

Regarding some of his claims that are core to the defendants defense strategy: he didn't even have authority to declassify some of the nuclear weapons documents he stole (Source: Reuters)

Hoo boy the documents were tagged with "FRD", and from the Reuters reporting that means:

Why the hell would he be keeping that around where Chinese and Saudi and Russian and (insert nation/entity here) spies could peruse at their leisure??

There's only one reasonable answer to this question, and if it's the case it would get anyone else a swift(ish) death at the hands of the justice system. In this case, we all know something like that isn't going to happen, and sadly we can't completely disregard the possibility that he's just an idiot.  But it's difficult to see anything here but traitorous behavior.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/16/2023 at 2:05 PM, jimmyjazz said:

In my late teens and early 20s I was in a music group that spent a shit ton of time touring North America on crummy old busses.  I decided I would try to read my way out of road boredom.  I started with the great American novels I hadn't read in high school, but eventually found a couple of Elie Wiesel books at a small bookstore on tour.

Holy shit.  That guy had an extraordinary life and an amazing capacity to find good in darkness.

DCI?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

lol that Fox News interview last night…the mental image of his lawyers off camera watching him confess to the crimes they are trying to defend him against is just too much.

I had a Simpons moment when Bart slows down the video where you can see Lisa break Ralph's heart. 

I was like look, you can actually slow down the video and see where the Lawyers cry. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I mean, that does qualify as news-correct?  NoCR, but that was surreal to listen to someone explain in detail their alleged criminal activity and then at the end...explain it away.  It was like watched Jeffrey Dahmer confess to killing and eating people and then at the end he says "But I didn't swallow"  

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I mean, that does qualify as news-correct?  NoCR, but that was surreal to listen to someone explain in detail their alleged criminal activity and then at the end...explain it away.  It was like watched Jeffrey Dahmer confess to killing and eating people and then at the end he says "But I didn't swallow"  

At this point I'd like to think we can just use this thread to laugh at the absurdity of all of this, no?*

*full disclosure, I get banned often.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So when he makes the air quotes at the :24 second mark, while not President...that's how you make the documents non-classified?  I've been using air quotes totally wrong all these years.  Boy, don't I feel dumb.