2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

Not a shock total shock that Sthele went and will sign. His velo ticked up this year and he could be an intriguing bullpen arm with some development. 

Numbers are also starting to get awfully tight on the mound with all the incoming guys and Witt + LBJ hopefully returning.

Raul Romero, a Nats founding partner/owner, is a big UT guy (former Regent).  He nudges them every year to take more kids from Texas, particularly UT, whenever they're on the fence between 2+ players in a slot.  I think they're only behind NYY, CHC, and Rangers in terms of UT draft picks and they've only been doing it for ~15 years unlike those other franchises, which is quite telling.  

Who we still worried about on the recruit/commit side?

And when does the portal close?  I assume a lot of those guys on the fence are waiting to see who comes back to what teams after the signing deadline, thus you can't really get an accurate feel on where you might plug into a lineup/staff until 2 August, no?  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m trying to think of a better draft for Texas. Lucas and Dylan are the only guys we will miss. Sykora is the only recruit not going to make it to campus. Aging arms that never reached their potential like Morehouse and Sthele get taken high enough that they likely move on and free up roster spots.

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I’m trying to think of a better draft for Texas. Lucas and Dylan are the only guys we will miss. Sykora is the only recruit not going to make it to campus. Aging arms that never reached their potential like Morehouse and Sthele get taken high enough that they likely move on and free up roster spots.

We'll miss GG, but you posted before he got drafted. Galvan needs to improve defensively.

8 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

So we need a Catching Coach. 

I think Briscoe Cain dabbled a bit back there a little in high school and college. 

Oh wait, we talking about baseball?  

We've been so fortunate over the decades with so much great talent at so many spots on the diamond and mound.  But I am consistently amazed at how abundant our catching position has been over the 25-30 years I've followed UT baseball in person.  Trey Salinas, Castenada, Hubele, Thigpen, Teagarden, Preston, Rupp, Lusson (to the extent he played behind the plate), Barerra, Ardoin, and now GG.  That's quite a run...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, @Wulaw Horn was expecting the Astros to immediately spend most of their day 3 picks on Longhorns that they’d then pay through the roof to sign, so, yeah, at least one person was expecting UT to get historically slaughtered on Day 3.

Not exactly expecting it.  Rooting for someone to do something intelligent and upend the draft by taking a lot of guys like Witt.  The main point was, that I was trying to say, is that day 3 guys can still get 7 figures and they can work those deals out with teams they want to play for by telling everyone else they won't sign and telling that team what their number is.  I would assume Witt doesn't have an agreement worked out with Baltimore or they'd have likely taken him in the 11th round instead of the 18th, so we are probably ok, but yeah, it's not like day 3 guys only get 125k and are stuck, they can and sometimes do get way more.  

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gasparino and Borba are headed to Austin. LBJ and Witt are headed back to lead the rotation. Good chance Powell returns.

This is about as successful of a draft as Texas has had since I can remember.

Let’s ride.

Gasparino, Borba, and Morris collectively is the best we've done on draft day with signees since I can remember. 

I think the talk was all about Sykora so people don't know how good Morris is. He's an absolute stud and IMO he's even more developed than Sykora. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gasparino, Borba, and Morris collectively is the best we've done on draft day with signees since I can remember. 

I think the talk was all about Sykora so people don't know how good Morris is. He's an absolute stud and IMO he's even more developed than Sykora. 

Yep. Pending progression with Witt and the typical in-season development trajectory we see with Pierce’s teams, this squad, frankly, should fuck. 

Let’s see what happens with the portal, but I’m very happy. 

Witt, LBJ, and Hurley on the weekends with Morris, Harrison, Whitehead, and others during the week is a stout starting pitching staff.

Thomas, Borba, Gasparino, Powell, Cummings, Belyeu, Flores, O’Dowd, Galvan, Sanders, and Sweeney is a deep lineup.  Adding in Porter Brown would be awesome too.

Seems like there’s more big league potential on this roster than I’ve seen in the last 4-5 years at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Witt, LBJ, and Hurley on the weekends with Morris, Harrison, Whitehead, and others during the week is a stout starting pitching staff.

Thomas, Borba, Gasparino, Powell, Cummings, Belyeu, Flores, O’Dowd, Galvan, Sanders, and Sweeney is a deep lineup.  Adding in Porter Brown would be awesome too.

Seems like there’s more big league potential on this roster than I’ve seen in the last 4-5 years at least.

How about Rigney? Assuming Pierce can get that delivery under control. Man, it would be sweet to have enough depth to roll the same guy out there every Tuesday.

9 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

How about Rigney? Assuming Pierce can get that delivery under control. Man, it would be sweet to have enough depth to roll the same guy out there every Tuesday.

I don't know if there's NIL money to be allocated but if I'm Texas I'm dropping a bag on Molina, Holman, or Burns. 

A rotation of LBJ, Witt, with any of those 3 gives us arguably the best rotation in the country and easily makes us a top 5 team.