2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

With that being said, that dudes twitter s.u.c.k.s. He has the emotional stability of a teenage girl and spews a lot of garbage. I see his stuff pop up on my timeline every once in a while or in the comments of people I follow.

Yeah, his account was way too over the top with Daly hate. 

Criticizing Daly is one thing but he went way over the top at times. I'm not shocked at all if Daly's dad went after him. 

7 minutes ago, Levi said:

Don’t know the full context but I wouldn’t fuck around with a four star general. 

The way he runs his mouth on twitter, I'm sure that's what sparked it at a game. He was probably being loud about certain players and 2 parents had enough of his bullshit. 

Now that doesn't justify making threats like "I'm going to kill you" but also don't be a complete jackass either. 

Apparently Morehouse's dad is an open book when it comes to his opinions and doesn't hide much. He was pretty open in his dislike for Sean Allen and David Pierce, but loved Woody Williams for whatever reason. It's why the chances of Zane returning went to basically zero once he was let go.

Whatever. Neither player is back next year so who even cares.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently Morehouse's dad is an open book when it comes to his opinions and doesn't hide much. He was pretty open in his dislike for Sean Allen and David Pierce, but loved Woody Williams for whatever reason. It's why the chances of Zane returning went to basically zero once he was let go.

I can see not liking Sean because there was some decisions made with the 2022 pitching staff that were very questionable, starting with scrapping Pete’s curveball for a slider. 

Not liking Pierce just sounds like sour grapes for your kid not performing well. Screams daddy ball behavior.

Zane got as many opportunities as you could possibly give a guy that never lived up to the potential. 

96 innings and a 5.53 ERA in 2 seasons, don’t think anyone involved with Texas baseball is worried about losing Zane (not saying you are).

• Hook 'Em 3

Alright, now that offseason movement has pretty much wrapped up for the most part we can probably start looking big picture. Here is where we are sitting roster wise:

Catcher (5)- Galvan, Schuessler (returning from injury), Sanders (could end up in OF), Service, Fahrlander (walk on)

Corner infield (7)- Thomas, Powell (both spots), Sweeney (1B only), Storm (1B and OF), Czech (3B), Borba (both spots), Constantine (1B only)

Middle infield (6)- Flores, O'Dowd, Cade O'Hara, Ardoin, Lane Allen, Dondreone Kennedy (could end up in the OF)

OF (7)- Brown, Belyeu, Cummings, Gasparino, Duplantier, Peterson, Werchan

RHP (16)- Witt, Hurley, Boehm, Grubbs, Howard, Tole, LBJ, Duplantier, Rigney, Selvig, Morris, Hamilton, Tumis, Miranda, Zaharias, Zattopek

LHP (6)- Mercer, Lummus, Whitehead, Santos, Shaw (out for season), Harrison (return during season)

Not sure if they are returning/making it to campus: Walbridge, Preston Hoffart, Tommy Farmer (incoming freshman)

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Transfer Portal closes on 28 July.  

MLB Signing deadline is 1 August. 

But that time you'll know who all is coming to Texas, leaving Texas via portal, or leaving Texas via MLB contract.

21 August=1st day of classes, matriculation is key for a complete understanding of the new roster.

6 September=official headcount day for classes.  NCAA still looks at this date (varies by school) to ensure everybody's taking required # of hours, etc.  This used to be a non-issue at a place like Texas that takes academics more seriously than most P5 programs, but with the transfer portal.  Aside from the grad transfers, this can still gum up the works if all coursework doesn't transfer correctly or student-athlete has to repeat a class that was sorta similar to one he already took, loses credits due to changes in exact alignment in degree program, etc.  Nothing to lose sleep over, but the NCAA was kinda lax on this during/after Covid, but as they become more and more irrelevant...I could see them making this a bigger deal.  Thankfully, our degree and course offerings are so wide and deep, we can absorb just about anything...but we also take guys from places that don't take school so serious.  I'm just excited because it's around this time, they'll announce Fall Ball/Fall World Series details and ticket info! 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Would love for the staff to make a run at Mason Molina but I think they are pretty content with that we have. 

That one feels like Arkansas. Following his old catcher (Hudson White). I also think D1baseball tweeted that Holman was down to LSU, Mississippi State and Tennessee.

All the good pitching will be mostly off the board soon. I guess there is still the small chance of a some big time grad transfers over the next month.

46 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I very highly doubt that a four star general is running around threatening to kill people over baseball.  That would be extremely strange behavior for someone in his position.

Sounds pretty believable and un-strange to me. Plus, he's been retired for awhile.

The UT fan cohort at almost all away games is majority players' families. If you're going to be a loudmouth who's only followed the team for one year, you're going to hear about it.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That one feels like Arkansas. Following his old catcher (Hudson White). I also think D1baseball tweeted that Holman was down to LSU, Mississippi State and Tennessee.

All the good pitching will be mostly off the board soon. I guess there is still the small chance of a some big time grad transfers over the next month.

Yeah no one from Texas other than the Texas One Fund is following Molina. 

Would have loved to get an established Lefty starter to replace Gordon. With LBJ and Witt coming back I don't see much of a need for Holman. Would be a nice luxury but not a need.

I said this in a post a couple weeks back but I really hope Chase Lummus gets some opportunities in the fall heading into next year. Feel like he fell victim to the fact that there are limited innings to go around in college baseball. Really like what he showed against OU.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Yeah no one from Texas other than the Texas One Fund is following Molina. 

Would have loved to get an established Lefty starter to replace Gordon. With LBJ and Witt coming back I don't see much of a need for Holman. Would be a nice luxury but not a need.

I said this in a post a couple weeks back but I really hope Chase Lummus gets some opportunities in the fall heading into next year. Feel like he fell victim to the fact that there are limited innings to go around in college baseball. Really like what he showed against OU.

Same. I could see Lummus making a leap next year. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Alright, now that offseason movement has pretty much wrapped up for the most part we can probably start looking big picture. Here is where we are sitting roster wise:

Catcher (5)- Galvan, Schuessler (returning from injury), Sanders (could end up in OF), Service, Fahrlander (walk on)

Corner infield (7)- Thomas, Powell (both spots), Sweeney (1B only), Storm (1B and OF), Czech (3B), Borba (both spots), Constantine (1B only)

Middle infield (6)- Flores, O'Dowd, Cade O'Hara, Ardoin, Lane Allen, Dondreone Kennedy (could end up in the OF)

OF (7)- Brown, Belyeu, Cummings, Gasparino, Duplantier, Peterson, Werchan

RHP (16)- Witt, Hurley, Boehm, Grubbs, Howard, Tole, LBJ, Duplantier, Rigney, Selvig, Morris, Hamilton, Tumis, Miranda, Zaharias, Zattopek

LHP (6)- Mercer, Lummus, Whitehead, Santos, Shaw (out for season), Harrison (return during season)

Not sure if they are returning/making it to campus: Walbridge, Preston Hoffart, Tommy Farmer (incoming freshman)

What is the issue with Tommy Farmer?

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don’t think he signed his LOI back in the fall. They were going to wait and see what the numbers looked like.

Interesting.  I did a quick search and couldn't find his recent stats but he did post that he was the team's MVP this year and he made first team all district, or their equivalent.

13 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Is Constantine gonna make it? 

Would think so. Culture guy.

My guess would be the majority of the attrition comes on the pitching side. 22 arms right now. Would guess that is closer to 18-19 by the time the spring rolls around.

15 minutes ago, petscii said:

I am not sure what is up with the Dodgers, but according to their full draft/signing tracker they haven't signed a single player.  I just checked and the Astros have signed some players, but Garret is not one of them.  Lucas has agreed to terms with the White Sox, but has not signed the deal yet according to the White Sox's draft/signing tracker.

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m shocked that longtime baseball men use colorful language when discussing players privately lol.

Right, like what do you expect fucking sunshine pumping, kool aid and cookies?Our skipper has a known demanding personality and the other coach he was talking to is an MLB vet that was the face of his franchise! I’m sure they were just being honest and sometimes the truth fucking hurts. 

Edited by davi34
Grammar and shit
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, txhorns said:

Hate to see him sign but great for him!  

Sykora did quite well. One of my first cousins twice removed was a later draft pick by Washington, and he signed for breadcrumbs in comparison. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

17 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Has Gordon signed? Where he was drafted and slot value still seems odd based on the rumors before the draft. 

The only other big possibilities are Campbell returning, Montgomery (seems unlikely though with 4 good OF already), Molina, and Holman. 

It could be GG coming back but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, davi34 said:

Right, like what do you expect fucking sunshine pumping, kool aid and cookies?Our skipper has a known demanding personality and the other coach he was talking to is an MLB vet that was the face of his franchise! I’m sure they were just being honest and sometimes the truth fucking hurts. 

Some of these parents expect exactly what you said.  I always try to be careful at the games because I've seen some of them go ballistic if you criticize their kid.  Including the guy who was mentioned above.

On 7/16/2023 at 4:51 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, his account was way too over the top with Daly hate. 

Criticizing Daly is one thing but he went way over the top at times. I'm not shocked at all if Daly's dad went after him. 

I saw some of this, mostly Mr. Morehouse, and I heard some really strong threats.  If he were to do some of the stuff I heard him threaten (and was caught) it would result in a prison sentence.  Never read the kids stuff - guessing it was out of line, but I thought the parents were over the top with their reaction.

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 1