2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

On 12/15/2023 at 11:42 AM, sunset87 said:

The serve game tore Wiscy apart.  Their serve receive, as has been mentioned already, was their weakness, and we exploited it beautifully.  I was a bit surprised when watching the first set, that their passing seemed to be shaky.  In the 2nd set they passed better and were in system, which allowed them to play their style, which quite frankly we couldn't stop.  That set was how I thought they would play the entire match.  Stanford's serve receive game was way better than Wiscy's. 

Between our serve, Halter's D, and Madi terminating from the back row they were destroyed mentally and just kind of collapsed the last 2 sets.  Masterful execution and match by the team.

Sounds like they should stay away from serving Corn's libero if at all possible.

Yeah predictably for such a huge and not terribly quick team, they were pretty badass in-system, but out of system they really struggled badly. We really worked 'em with our tough but smart serve game and Emma back there just saying "What else ya got?" over and over, and we just wore 'em down. I almost felt bad for 'em a bit there at the end. Almost.

Edited by wood

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Texas wins if they can just apply pressure to Nebraska. 

We have a bunch of players that have been in this moment for years (Skinner, O'neal, and Phillips). Nebraska not so much. Just make this match tight and force those young players to deal with pressure. 

Or just blow 'em out like we did to Wisky.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah predictasbly for such a huge and not terribly quick team, they were pretty badass in-system, but out of system they really struggled badly. We really worked 'em with our tough but smart serve game and Emma back there just saying "What else ya got?" over and over, and we just wore 'em down. I almost felt bad for 'em a bit there at the end. Almost.

Which is funny bc they spent all offseason learning how to become a better out of system team and Smrek being able to terminate junk balls on the right pin. But once we adjusted to her defensively with our floor spacing, Halter was just putting every ball up in the air after set 2

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Which is funny bc they spent all offseason learning how to become a better out of system team and Smrek being able to terminate junk balls on the right pin. But once we adjusted to her defensively with our floor spacing, Mrs. TMG was just putting every ball up in the air after set 2

Fify

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Which is funny bc they spent all offseason learning how to become a better out of system team and Smrek being able to terminate junk balls on the right pin. But once we adjusted to her defensively with our floor spacing, Halter was just putting every ball up in the air after set 2

You know, there are some obvious parallels between Anna Smrek and Purdue basketball center Zach Edey. Both are dominant, but their main edge of course is being so much bigger than everyone else on the court. Players like that surprisingly win few NCAA titles, in part because their teammates rely on them too much, and elite opponents often can scheme around their weaknesses.

Unrelated, but what are they putting in the water in eastern Ontario? Both these skyscrapers are from the Toronto area. 

14 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Unrelated, but what are they putting in the water in eastern Ontario? Both these skyscrapers are from the Toronto area. 

Edeys parents are 6 and 6’3. Smrek’s dad is 7 foot Mike Smrek

It is more fun seeing these volleyball girls who are basketball dad daughters. Smrek, O’Neal, Skinner, Booth

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas is way more battle tested than Nebraska headed into tomorrow’s match 

Nebraska - LIU, a not very good Mizzou club, hot and cold GT, extremely undersized Arkansas, Pitt

Texas - jihad level match against Aggy, a red hot SMU team, an extremely good Tenn team, Stanford on their home court, big and tall Wisconsin 

Only their sweep of Pitt was impressive. But we dismantled Wisconsin in 2 of the 4 sets and took out Stanford on their home court. Plus the comeback in set 4 against Tenn to go to 5

Edited by Js1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

How Texas attacked them is exactly how my daughter's team lost in the playoffs. The team we played served our other OH 29 times and she mentally folded. We are big for high school and go 6'3. 6'3, 6'2, and 6'1 at our middle/RS rotations but the ball was out of system the entire time, so the game fell on two players and they adjusted defensively. Wisky is like us, big, slow, and terrible OOS.

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

How Texas attacked them is exactly how my daughter's team lost in the playoffs. The team we played served our other OH 29 times and she mentally folded. We are big for high school and go 6'3. 6'3, 6'2, and 6'1 at our middle/RS rotations but the ball was out of system the entire time, so the game fell on two players and they adjusted defensively. Wisky is like us, big, slow, and terrible OOS.

Your daughters team is bigger than Arkansas!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Victor R. Franko said:

Will there be a stream set up for viewing?, or do I have to get involved with ESPN+. I'm a poor (really just tightwad) and don't want to spend the 11 bucks until end of baseball season. youtube maybe?

That reminds me I can stop the Sling Blue subscription until next football season. 

Maybe @immamac can set up Surly TV for the game

This team exceeded my wildest expectations. Never thought we’d repeat, especially after the early struggles with Long Beach, Stanford, WSU. Even moreso after the complete no-show in Manhattan. 

Props to the entire team for upping their level of play in December + the coaching staff. Great scheming, elite in-game adjustments by both Sullivan and Hunt. 

Time for Madi to go beast and win her 3rd straight title. She’s never lost in the finals in her college career. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!