2023 Emmys

mchookem

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/2023-emmys-nominations-nominees-list-1235533766/

last chance for BCS... but it's got some stiff competition 😒

HBO continues to dominate the noms with Succession, The Last of Us and White Lotus. rightfully so.

the bear is well represented.

i'd expect Dahmer to sweep the limited series categories.

funniest damn show on tv completely overlooked...tumblr_3e6d74fec1ed4c15dae3b69079155fda_32a4a93a_400.gif.b2994872f6557017462f09345ff6dfbe.gif

Edited by mchookem

Okay, someone explain The Bear in the Comedy category. Is that an episode length issue? Because it's stupid to have any of the actors in that category given what happened in the show this year. I'm annoyed Harrison Ford didn't get nominated for Shrinking.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Ok, this is slightly ridiculous.

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

F. Murray Abraham (The White Lotus)
Nicholas Braun (Succession)
Michael Imperioli (The White Lotus)
Theo James (The White Lotus)
Matthew Macfadyen (Succession)
Alan Ruck (Succession)
Will Sharpe (The White Lotus)
Alexander Skarsgård (Succession)

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Jennifer Coolidge (The White Lotus)
Elizabeth Debicki (The Crown)
Meghann Fahy (The White Lotus)
Sabrina Impacciatore (The White Lotus)
Aubrey Plaza (The White Lotus)
Rhea Seehorn (Better Call Saul)
J. Smith-Cameron (Succession)
Simona Tabasco (The White Lotus)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Okay, someone explain The Bear in the Comedy category. Is that an episode length issue? Because it's stupid to have any of the actors in that category given what happened in the show this year. I'm annoyed Harrison Ford didn't get nominated for Shrinking.  

yes, it is because of episode length and how it was submitted.  better things, louie, atlanta had similar tone and episode length kept them in "comedy".

also remember these nominations are for s1 of the bear.  the emmys cutoff is may 31st.

• 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Is Beef really this good? Where is this streaming?

i started it after it won so many GGs last week...only on ep4 but it's definitely got me hooked. one of those 'uncomfortable but can't look away' watches.

oh...and Netflix.

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 1

well...unfortunately BCS ran into the juggernaut that was Succession this past year, which i can't really be mad about bc damn it was fucking good tv. super happy for Culkin as he absolutely killed it this final season and deserves all the awards...and it's the type of role he may never see again. 

just never was good timing for slippin Jimmy or Kim 💔 

anyways...Emmys are so much better run than the Oscars lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So….never would I have put Ted Lasso and The Bear in the same category of show.

Starting with the Golden Globes, it was hard to think of The Bear as a "comedy" rather than a "drama" but it would've lost everything it won to Succession if it had.

I said this elsewhere but on Beef, I don’t think I’ve ever felt more strongly about the phrase “This should have been a movie”. Just way too long with people doing stupid shit to keep it going.

I realized last night that the Bear season getting recognized was season 1. It’ll clean up again next Emmy’s.

Sucks that Saul was basically shut out. I was really hoping Rhea Seahorn would get her due.

• Hook 'Em 2

as someone who isn’t very much into film or TV, stuff like this is why it’s hard for me to care about any of the awards given out:

IMG_6572.thumb.jpeg.c4900907258835d24877b353f557cc12.jpeg

there have been 17 awards shows this week, none of which i was aware were even happening until they were over, and they all have the same awards to the same people/shows. i see people on this site regularly using emmy or oscar wins as proof of a show’s greatness, but if these awards are anything like sports awards then they usually don’t go to the right people anyway. how a show like BCS can go 0/53 is beyond me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

as someone who isn’t very much into film or TV, stuff like this is why it’s hard for me to care about any of the awards given out:

IMG_6572.thumb.jpeg.c4900907258835d24877b353f557cc12.jpeg

there have been 17 awards shows this week, none of which i was aware were even happening until they were over, and they all have the same awards to the same people/shows. i see people on this site regularly using emmy or oscar wins as proof of a show’s greatness, but if these awards are anything like sports awards then they usually don’t go to the right people anyway. how a show like BCS can go 0/53 is beyond me.

Rhea Seahorn getting classified in the best supporting actress category seems like AMC gaming the system to avoid Sarah Snook in Succession. The funny thing is, I think she beats Snook this cycle. Coolidge was always going to win to make up for not winning in 2022. 

On 1/15/2024 at 8:32 PM, C-Man said:

Is Beef really this good? Where is this streaming?

22 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Yes. Beef is that good 

16 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Finish it 

i just finished it...

Spoiler

i'm not sure i even know what to think about it. i kind of feel fucking depressed 😕 i would not say i 'enjoyed' it but it was well done.

i do think the way people consume the product has affected interest...but i also think it has a lot to do with the product, especially movies. i used to have seen almost every film that would be nominated for something...but there was a point several years ago where i realized i hadn't seen any of them, so like who cares? there have been a few years improved, and the current crop is pretty stellar imo...but when it's been a bunch of dark/depressing or exceptionally weird selections, it's hard to care. 

i do often use the nominees and especially winners to find new TV shows... Schitt's Creek and The Bear come to mind.