What's happening in Iran?

Parliament

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Aint too Christian running round the village cuttin off heads and shit

You know, Junior, some of the things we done, man... I don't feel like we done something wrong. But sometimes, man, I get this bad feeling. I told the Padre the truth, man. I like it here. You get to do what you want. Nobody fucks with you. The only worry you got is dying. And if that happens, you won't know about it anyway. So what the fuck, man.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  War doesn't usually comport particularly well with the gospels.  Such is the way of humanity.

I have two books at my bedside, Lieutenant -- the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer, Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, and the Lord, our God.

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

You know, Junior, some of the things we done, man... I don't feel like we done something wrong. But sometimes, man, I get this bad feeling. I told the Padre the truth, man. I like it here. You get to do what you want. Nobody fucks with you. The only worry you got is dying. And if that happens, you won't know about it anyway. So what the fuck, man.

Come on, motherfuckers!

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I have two books at my bedside, Lieutenant -- the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer, Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, and the Lord, our God.

But I just have two questions.   Where is the latrine and have you seen the tower logs?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, CHIEF said:

An unarmed Iranian population has less than a snowball's chance against 190K armed IRGC personnel, even if Artesh sits this one out. It's going to go the way the last Cuban dust up went. The IRGC could, and would kill millions, if necessary. I'm not sure how many Iranians are going to willingly die for the change to happen.

CHIEF

You're right until you're not. If the everyday soldiers start to refuse orders than then the old bearded guys have no power. And young soldiers start to hear from their moms, sisters or wives about the injustice, they may find themselves questioning orders. 

Regimes rarely topple in slow motion. And these current protests may not be the tipping point. That point may be years from now.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

And this is how the regime kills protests/potential revolutions: with total and complete brutality.  Kill everyone who is even remotely a threat.  The rest of the people will get in line, because the survival instinct is a powerful thing.

That's why the most successful revolution recipe is one that endeavors to kill the bad guys first.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And this is how the regime kills protests/potential revolutions: with total and complete brutality.  Kill everyone who is even remotely a threat.  The rest of the people will get in line, because the survival instinct is a powerful thing.

That's why the most successful revolution recipe is one that endeavors to kill the bad guys first.

All of this.  Until the revolutionaries have the means and will to visit the exact same brutality on the regime as the regime metes out to them, there will be no change.  Bullies don't understand loud slogans, but they understand getting their noses bloodied.  Or throats cut as the case may be.

• Hook 'Em 2

SIAP. In a related topic, some Iranian-American individuals met with the Iranian President while he was in the US for UN meetings. Photos emerged and now some of those individuals are losing some positions. 

One was a NYC physician who was kicked out of a leadership role for an Iranian-American medical society. The group dropped him as they said aligning with the Iranian dictator was against the non-political values.

I don't like cancel culture but there are consequences in posing for selfies with dictators.

edit: this guy was the President of that organization that kicked him out. This TikTok channel is leading the charge against the us residents posing with the the Iran prez. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRmMsNrD/

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You're right until you're not. If the everyday soldiers start to refuse orders than then the old bearded guys have no power. And young soldiers start to hear from their moms, sisters. or wives about the injustice may find themselves questioning orders. 

Regimes rarely topple in slow motion. And these current protests may not be the tipping point. That point may be years from now.

Do you really think that young male soldiers are gonna stand up against the government , and almost certainly lose their life, career, and future for a bunch of aggrieved women? Is it an  injustice? Yes. Do we hope the revolution would be successful? Yes. There is no one that would like to see this revolution succeed more than the people on this thread, but skepticism is truly warranted.  We will never walk in their shoes. Iran being a true Democratic Republic is a pipe dream until it is. God Speed .  It is like the the 5-7 prediction for aggy when they play four FCS teams.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
thread, not post

The only way Iran changes is if the protestors stop all economic activities and shift to actually finding, harming and killing members of the party and their enforcers.   Cutting your hair and burning bras only works if someone gives a shit about being representative of the populus.   Those enforcers have homes.   

• Hook 'Em 7

5 hours ago, Nivek said:

The only way Iran changes is if the protestors stop all economic activities and shift to actually finding, harming and killing members of the party and their enforcers.   Cutting your hair and burning bras only works if someone gives a shit about being representative of the populus.   Those enforcers have homes.   

This.  Protests being effective presumes that leadership actually gives a shit about the people.  They don't.  And when you're dealing with someone who couldn't care less whether YOU live or die, then you need to find something else that will motivate them.  Teeing up the question of whether THEY will live or die is a proven way of doing that.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Wtf is up with that?

Gets slightly more interesting

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/28/politics/us-shoots-down-iranian-drone/index.html

The US scrambled an F-15 jet to shoot down an Iranian drone that appeared to be heading towards US forces in Erbil, Iraq, on Wednesday, a US official told CNN.

US forces launched the jet after tracking dozens of Iranian short range ballistic missiles headed for Kurdish positions in northern Iraq Wednesday, according to two other US officials. The initial assessment is the launches originated inside Iran, the officials said.

“At approximately 2:10 PM local time, U.S. forces brought down an Iranian Mojer-6 Unmanned Aerial Vehicle headed in the direction of Erbil as it appeared as a threat to USCENTCOM forces in the area,” US Central Command, which oversees the US military presence in the Middle East, said in a statement.

Both US officials emphasized, at this point, the belief is the Iranians were seeking to harm Kurdish forces to potentially divert attention from the current protests in Iran. Protests have raged in western parts of Iran, home to many Kurds angered by the death of Amini.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Seems like an act of war to lob missiles into another country.   Shit, I wouldn't tolerate it even if the target was Oklahoma or Collie Station.    Iraq should respond in kind or this shit will keep happening.

There are plenty in power in Iraq with no love for the Kurds. Also it would give the Iranians an excuse to make the Iraqis the bad guy, instead of their own government. Finally what position is the Iraqi military in to do anything to anyone?

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It must be weird for Iconoclast, who on one hand is Persian and hates Muslims, but on the other hand stans for authoritarian theocracies.  

WhichButton.Meme

I think you misunderstand his position. He hates the theocracy and wishes it to disappear because they have eliminated all non-Muslims and terrorize more secular Muslims. He, I think, would welcome the overthrow of the government as it would lead to a more secular nation and would hopefully allow non-Muslims to live and secular Muslims to live more freely.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think you misunderstand his position. He hates the theocracy and wishes it to disappear because they have eliminated all non-Muslims and terrorize more secular Muslims. He, I think, would welcome the overthrow of the government as it would lead to a more secular nation and would hopefully allow non-Muslims to live and secular Muslims to live more freely.

I think you have misunderstood his position for years that America needs to be a Christian Theocracy. I’m not referencing one post. I’m referencing a lifetime body of work. Hence the irony. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5