Pop Songs (Possibly Girly) that are Great (When No One's Watching)

dcbc

Split Enz were great.

One of my best friends got called a f$* for listening to Matthew Sweet like 30 years ago by another guy we know, and to this day it's the first thing I think of whenever I hear Matthew Sweet and chuckle to myself. I actually like Sweet myself, just to be clear.

I couldn't decide if this belonged in covers, or live performance, or girly pop.  I decided on the latter.  Two of the two most gifted young female singers doing justice to Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over".  I've long been a fan of Miley, her low alto is amazing, although she pushes it too much.  Ariana's pure tone and chameleon-like ability to sound like anybody is astonishing, as is her always-dead-on pitch.  I wish she chose better material.  Anyway, I dig this, as much for the song (which is brilliant in and of itself) as the performance.  Did I mention Neil Finn's a friggin' genius?

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I couldn't decide if this belonged in covers, or live performance, or girly pop.  I decided on the latter.  Two of the two most gifted young female singers doing justice to Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over".  I've long been a fan of Miley, her low alto is amazing, although she pushes it too much.  Ariana's pure tone and chameleon-like ability to sound like anybody is astonishing, as is her always-dead-on pitch.  I wish she chose better material.  Anyway, I dig this, as much for the song (which is brilliant in and of itself) as the performance.  Did I mention Neil Finn's a friggin' genius?

Man, I randomly woke up humming this song today

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

90% of what my daughter listens to is K-pop and she finally played me a song that I liked. 

(There have been other good songs that I've heard. But has anybody noticed that Blackpink the most popular girl K-Pop group has zero good songs)

This band is blowing up.  I'm sad that I waited too long to buy tickets and now they're sold out up and down the East Coast. Waited because I would be the oldest person there, and expect a lot of teens and/or college kids.  I coulda worn a mask and just silently enjoyed their jangly pop sounds.  

And they're trying to sound a little Cureish.  

Edited by Mdhorn

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I really wish this project with her and Oberst had kept up the steam I thought it would.   This is such a great song.  

I would have liked to know what a collaboration with Ryan Adams would have been like.  But at least we got Motion Sickness out of the breakup, so that's pretty good I guess.