Pop Songs (Possibly Girly) that are Great (When No One's Watching)

dcbc

love duran duran

Slightly off topic (*gasp*) - I feel like not having lived through Duran Duran gives me a pass to love Duran Duran that would be more difficult if I was older. Somewhat similar (although, I was around and listening to music) is Gin Blossoms. I think that people were somewhat dismissive towards Gin Blossoms in the 90s as being... I dunno, too poppy or posers or commercial or whatever extremely 90s problem to have with a popular rock band. But they are just wall to wall hooks.

i want to embed Hey Jealousy but this is the most thread appropriate song.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

love duran duran

Slightly off topic (*gasp*) - I feel like not having lived through Duran Duran gives me a pass to love Duran Duran that would be more difficult if I was older. Somewhat similar (although, I was around and listening to music) is Gin Blossoms. I think that people were somewhat dismissive towards Gin Blossoms in the 90s as being... I dunno, too poppy or posers or commercial or whatever extremely 90s problem to have with a popular rock band. But they are just wall to wall hooks.

37 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

love duran duran

Allison Road is in my regular playlist.

The Gin Blossoms actually are considered pretty legit in the Arizona scene. That said, I saw them in concert and is was pretty meh.

39 minutes ago, G650 said:

The Gin Blossoms actually are considered pretty legit in the Arizona scene. That said, I saw them in concert and is was pretty meh.

Yeah, I saw them at Moody Theater years ago with Everclear, Fastball, and some other 90's pop-rock band(s).  Maybe Sugar Ray?  Smashmouth?  Can't remember, doesn't matter.

They were quite boring and kinda nerdy.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I saw them at Moody Theater years ago with Everclear, Fastball, and some other 90's pop-rock band(s).  Maybe Sugar Ray?  Smashmouth?  Can't remember, doesn't matter.

They were quite boring and kinda nerdy.

What-the-fuck-jontron GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Were you forced at gun point?

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, my wife wanted to go.  I'm friends with a couple of 'ballers, and we both like Everclear.  The other bands sucked.

I saw Everclear in '96 or so. They were, uh, not good. My high school band at the time was significantly tighter. Which isn't to say I don't like Everclear, I think Art is a pretty good songwriter. But yeah.

Spacehog was opening for them, and absolutely crushed. One of the top ten shows I've been too, easily.

• Hook 'Em 2

Running thoughts on the last 24 hours of posting:

1) I think Wilson Philips Hold On probably wins so far /thread

2) Spacehog is awesome

3) Duran Duran is a tight musical act that had some great songs, don't belong on this thread

4) I really like Gin Blossoms. 

5) That Sophie B Hawkins tune was extremely listenable even though it was way overplayed.  

6)The Doja Cat entries are definitely in, what I consider to be, the spirit of this thread. 

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I legitimately love this song, ridiculously catchy

You have a band of siblings, 3 very attractive sisters and 1 brother.  Do you think the brother minds that no one pays any attention to him or remembers that he is in the band, or do you think he enjoys being out of the spotlight and undoubtedly pulling some nice tail because of his sisters?

11 minutes ago, ScottS said:

You have a band of siblings, 3 very attractive sisters and 1 brother.  Do you think the brother minds that no one pays any attention to him or remembers that he is in the band, or do you think he enjoys being out of the spotlight and undoubtedly pulling some nice tail because of his sisters?

I think we all know the answer.

I think I admitted this in some guilty pleasures thread - when most any Culture Club song comes on, I can sing all the words.  Never had a Culture Club album, never listened to them purposefully, but I'll be damned if I don't happily sing along.  Actually caught half of the Culture Club set at ACL last year - eventually, my wife made us leave and go to another stage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think I admitted this in some guilty pleasures thread - when most any Culture Club song comes on, I can sing all the words.  Never had a Culture Club album, never listened to them purposefully, but I'll be damned if I don't happily sing along.  

Great singer, great songs.  Not hard to figure out.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i spent quite a bit of time with/around them right before they had a hit with this and it was difficult to not creep on the I believe underage singer

Not a fan of that song but man the Echosmith singer is attractive.

This song was stuck in my head when it came out.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think I admitted this in some guilty pleasures thread - when most any Culture Club song comes on, I can sing all the words.  Never had a Culture Club album, never listened to them purposefully, but I'll be damned if I don't happily sing along.  Actually caught half of the Culture Club set at ACL last year - eventually, my wife made us leave and go to another stage. 

Big fan of Crying Game. 

26 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

And this one may transcend the scope of this thread, but it’s a fucking killer song by a singular vocal talent:

It absolutely does but that's okay. Her last album was phenomenal and broke the pop mold a bit.

But I think "guilty pleasure" is a silly term to begin with. If you're telling me Adele or Rihanna or Ariana Grande are "guilty pleasures" that's basically an admission to me that you listen to shitty music or are uncomfortable with your sexuality. NTTAWWT.

I mean if this is a "guilty pleasure" then stick a lollipop up my ass and call me a homo.

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1