Pop Songs (Possibly Girly) that are Great (When No One's Watching)

dcbc

This was on the soundtrack of a video game. Had it low in the background but it wormed into my brain. I would walk around singing “Hello,hello, hello!” Wife asked what the hell I was singing and I said
“Don’t know.”
Finally googled

Awesome! Not only does it have the F word in the lyrics but also Eggplant Parmesan and Pizza.

Jimmy Eat World doesn’t belong in this list - they have at least 4 great albums and are one of the best bands of their kind/scene/era. I’ll offer the potentially spicy take that they are better than Weezer.

Taylor Swift is great. I think Carly Rae Jepson actually has a few more songs - call me maybe is mind numbing pop but it is a jam. Billie Eilish is interesting. Just in general, good pop music is good music.

The video for this good song feels like it belongs in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Jimmy Eat World doesn’t belong in this list - they have at least 4 great albums and are one of the best bands of their kind/scene/era. I’ll offer the potentially spicy take that they are better than Weezer.

Taylor Swift is great. I think Carly Rae Jepson actually has a few more songs - call me maybe is mind numbing pop but it is a jam. Billie Eilish is interesting. Just in general, good pop music is good music.

A)Jimmy Eat World is definitely more legit than Weezer.

B)This song isn't something someone my age would consider what this thread is about. It was solid in its time

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

A good friend of mine has a brilliant story about this song.  

He was probably around 30 at the time.  His girlfriend of a couple years, who he was really in love with, had announced "this isn't working for me" and moved out.  I'm not certain, but I think she had even left the state and gotten back with her ex in a very short time.  My buddy was devastated and deeply depressed.  

After some weeks/months of his friends not seeing him, they convinced him to get out of his house and meet them for karaoke - something their group (both guys and girls) had done off and on for fun.  

So he goes out, and everybody is having a good time and picking songs, and he sees the song "Stay," and he thinks, "Oh, this would be an ironic and funny song for a dude."  He signs up for it.

A short time later, he's on the stage, the song starts, and the words come up on the video screen.  He sees the words to the very first line in the song and realizes, "Oh, wait .... This is a breakup song."

And then all the pain starts pouring out of him, and he goes pretty quickly from shaky-voice singing to crying uncontrollably.  But he's determined not to quit, so he just sort of sobs his way through the entire song.  

And finally it ends, and the once-lively bar is pin-drop silent.  All conversations had stopped.   And with everyone watching, he walks past the table where his friends are and he goes and sits at the bar alone.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

26 minutes ago, ajax said:

Wait, does a band being great disqualify them from this thread? I didn't read the fine print.

Eh not gatekeeping the thread, just… you can blast that one while I’m watching and I won’t call you girly.

was hoping Paul’s friend’s story ended with an eruption of applause but… homer drooling standing in for homer sobbing there 

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

A)Jimmy Eat World is definitely more legit than Weezer.

B)This song isn't something someone my age would consider what this thread is about. It was solid in its time

I'm a Jimmy Eat World fan but they aren't in the same tier as Weezer. C'mon y'all. Weezer is hugely influential and culturally significant in a way that Jimmy is not. 

That said I agree that "the middle" is a WTF submission to this thread. 

Just now, ztejas said:

I'm a Jimmy Eat World fan but they aren't in the same tier as Weezer. C'mon y'all. Weezer is hugely influential and culturally significant in a way that Jimmy is not. 

That said I agree that "the middle" is a WTF submission to this thread. 

You can debate cultural significance, I won't argue, but Jimmy Eat World is a much more legit band. I actually like way more Weezer songs than Jimmy Eat World, but musically, no contest

Reasonable takes. I probably like Bleed American more than any Weezer album (FWIW).

I think Weezer is a much more important band and I think they were better at their peak (i.e. I think their best songs are a bit more impressive).

I mean this shit absolutely shreds

(And now I'm listening to Bleed American and yeah - this is a great fucking album)

Edited by ztejas

I went to see a local band. They were really good, but they played The Middle as their encore and the whole place went nuts.

It's a great song and it's a got a great hook. Everybody knows it and everyone loves it. That why I put it on this thread.

I took "possibly girly" to mean only if it's by a girl.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ajax said:

I went to see a local band. They were really good, but they played The Middle as their encore and the whole place went nuts.

It's a great song and it's a got a great hook. Everybody knows it and everyone loves it. That why I put it on this thread.

I took "possibly girly" to mean only if it's by a girl.

The Middle is extremely pop friendly but I took OP's submission to mean "guilty pleasures". i.e. ztejas likes Katy Perry and Justin Bieber. No straight white male is getting shit for liking Jimmy Eat World - regardless of track. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The Middle is extremely pop friendly but I took OP's submission to mean "guilty pleasures"

I guess I have no guilt when it comes to great pop songs, lol.

Oddly enough, I consider this girly...

While this is not girly...

Both great pop songs. No guilt.

• Hook 'Em 1

Uh, the Eurythmics? And I want Candy?

I may be way misunderstanding this thread.

Random csb I totally forgot,  I actually knew the guy from Jommy Eat World in passing. I used to drink down at Barney's Beanery in LA when I was waiting for my fiancee at the time to get off work at the Beverly Center, and the bartender who I was friends with was their roommate at the time. This is like circa 2000-01

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Reasonable takes. I probably like Bleed American more than any Weezer album (FWIW).

I think Weezer is a much more important band and I think they were better at their peak (i.e. I think their best songs are a bit more impressive).

I mean this shit absolutely shreds

(And now I'm listening to Bleed American and yeah - this is a great fucking album)

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I said it on another thread last week, but I'll repeat:  man, I hate Weezer

Hash Pipe is actually a pretty good example song for the thing about Weezer - ok, so the chorus is good and rocks, if any other band on the planet did these verses, these lyrics, or just lifted this peter gunn thing, it would be complete garbage. But it's Weezer and they can do that, I'm not sure exactly why. Pork'n Beans is an extreme example of that except that song just sucks even for Weezer.

I'm not taking Jimmy's position - I remember talking about Buddy Holly on the playground with my friends in 4th grade, I grew up with Weezer and have always liked them.

But, Jimmy Eat World is fucking solid. I love Static Prevails although that is somewhat nostalgia driven. The four album run of Clarity, Bleed American, Futures, and Chase This Light is phenomenal. I don't think Chase This Light got a lot of play but it is just a great album. Probably my most played Jimmy Eat World song is A Praise Chorus and weirdly I could hear a version of this song if it had been written by Weezer.

Anyways, penance for continuing the Weezer/Jimmy Eat World tangent I started  - Paramore is good, and (now I'm just thinking of redheads) I still jam this song sometimes

i think the real answer for this thread was nailed up top - Tay Tay, Katy Perry, Miley. "You Belong With Me" is my karaoke song and it hits every time.

44 minutes ago, G650 said:

Unpopular opinions thread is this way ----->

Unpopular on this board, and maybe at the senior citizens home but they're popular everywhere else.

I'm old too, but it's okay to listen to new stuff. They're not even that new. They've been around for decades. Kids consider you a gramps if you like Paramore.

This is a great pop song that Olivia Rodrigo ripped. She had to give Paramore writing credits.

Yeah, I'm aware. I was in my 20's when they came out, they are part of that early aughts music scene that was basically the nadir of western civilization.

I sure as shit wouldn't consider them new. They actually just came out of retirement.

Here's some early aughts girl pop to get down on.