wc KO day 4:: bow of burning goald

Hagbard Celine

It really has shaped up good for the Limeys.  They got an absolute shit group, played Colombia without their best player and go up against Sweden for a shot at the semis.  After that it will be tough with either Croatia (better squad) or Russia (Putin makes sure the fix is in).

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

applause-gif.gif

kind of funny, but kind of indicates that you haven't partied in london. those fuckers are crazy, and i cannot even imagine the more blue collar towns.

here's a great article i found about the prep england put into the penalties. their manager, southgate, famously failed in a penalty shootout against germany in euro 96:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/29/gareth-southgate-lay-ghost-euro-96-penalty-shootout

redemption stories are fucking great, man.

• Like 1

That is JEDI shit right there. 

To even touch the ball would be remarkable, but he not only got his hand out there, but first got it dead on in the ball's path and then tensed up enough for his arm/wrist/whatever to be able to stop the power of that ball?... AMAZING.

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

watching this, he may have been off his line slightly early, but they let the takes stutter step for days, so i have no problem with them not calling it.

Kasper Schmeichel was off his life during the match for his late save and then for every PK his stopped (or didn't stop) in the shootout.

As long as you're not halfway to the ball, they tend to let that stuff go.

20 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Kasper Schmeichel was off his life during the match for his late save and then for every PK his stopped (or didn't stop) in the shootout.

As long as you're not halfway to the ball, they tend to let that stuff go.

I think I can count the number of times I've seen a keeper called for it on one hand. 

England will have an interesting matchup against Sweden. Seems like the Swedes bring everyone down to their level, and I don't think England will have nearly the advantage on corners as they did today. Still, the bracket looks great for a homecoming. 

50 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Croatia vs Brazil is still alive for the final.

I've liked Croatia/Belgium for a while.  Still possible, too.

England/Croatia and Belgium/France in the semis would be great.  Although Brazil could very easily prevent this all Euro final four.

England has a decent shot to make it to the final in this group.  Croatia/Sweden prob better teams but not by much.  Dont think they have a shot of beating the likes of France or Belgium in the other bracket.  It makes sense to me.  But for corrupt FIFA, this world cup would prob be being played in the UK.

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i'd rank them-

1)Brazil

2)France

3)Belgium 

T4)Croatia

T4)Uruguay

6)England

7)Sweden

8)Russia

I’d put Croatia ahead of Uruguay (not tied) due to their midfield pairing of Modric & Rakitic. I think that that pairing outweighs Uruguay’s CDs playing together at Atlético + Suarez & Cavani (is he going to be able to play?) up front. 

I also feel that Uruguay’s keeper is okay, but not a “+ keeper” even with all of his experience. 

And lastly, their depth is sufficient enough that they started an entirely different team (or 9 of 10 outfield players) in their third group match and still won. 

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

kind of funny, but kind of indicates that you haven't partied in london. those fuckers are crazy, and i cannot even imagine the more blue collar towns.

here's a great article i found about the prep england put into the penalties. their manager, southgate, famously failed in a penalty shootout against germany in euro 96:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/29/gareth-southgate-lay-ghost-euro-96-penalty-shootout

I lived in two northwest England blue-collar towns over three years and Jesus fucking Christ, the impression most Americans have of England could not be farther from the reality. They fight for fun, and aren't reluctant about breaking a pint glass and slashing you across the face. They may have a low murder rate but it's an extremely violent country. Or at least Preston and Blackpool are violent towns. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I lived in two northwest England blue-collar towns over three years and Jesus fucking Christ, the impression most Americans have of England could not be farther from the reality. They fight for fun, and aren't reluctant about breaking a pint glass and slashing you across the face. They may have a low murder rate but it's an extremely violent country. Or at least Preston and Blackpool are violent towns. 

Quoted for truth

England has only beaten Sweden once in for-keeps competition (non-friendlies) 

I know this kinda shit can seem meaningless as the 2012 squads are completely different from 2018, but it has always seemed to me that the Scandis have the Brits number. Ever since 895, or whenever the Vikings pointed their longboats toward the southwest for a little monk-burnin' and lass-ravishin'

40 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

Croatia/Sweden prob better teams but not by much.

I think Croatia, Sweden and England are more or less "equal" as "teams".  If you price the total transfer value of all 3 sides England are probably worth both of the others combined.  So in theory England have a talent advantage, and we actually saw the Lizard have to play 3 of his best 4 at the same time.  I do now believe The Lizard can actually figure out a game plan for Sweden to cash that "on paper" talent advantage.

Sweden are the football version of the old rockets Twin Towers, except they've got 4 or 5 of them.  Neither aggy nor suisse nor korea could do a fucking thing in the Swedish forest in the box.

England are a mammal of a different color.

6'3" Dier

6'3" Loftus-Cheek

6'3" Cahill

6'2" Maguire

6'2" Stones

6'0" Alli

6'0" Jones

6'0" Kane (when he walks upright)

Also, Henderson is 6'1".  But he's Henderson.

And Welbeck is 6'0".  But he's Welbeck.

Today the Lizard started Alli and replaced him with Dier.  Loftus-Cheek and Cahill of course didn't see time today, but Maguire and Stones (with 5'9" Walker) have now proven an effective triplicate under real, live fire, so Walker will remain the preferred option, you don't mess with that chem against a Sweden that are pedestrian as hell going forward.

England have far better skill/talent going forward so the Lizard can retool and draw up something with Dier, Loftus-Cheek and Alli starting.  Sit Henderson, Alli can do that job.  With Kane, Maguire and Stones on the pitch, you've got SIX (6) targets that are 6'+.  Sverige have not dealt with that.

• Like 1

The crowd reaction videos from the England fans are amazing. I could watch those all day. I think I'd like to be there...but then I remember that I enjoy living.

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Alcohol + No Upward Mobility = ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've lived in various countries all over the world and the POMEs are the freaking worst when it comes to delusions of grandeur.  Other than the 2003 Rugby World Cup they have won exactly jack shit in the last fifty years or so.  Bless their hearts though, their completely unwarranted optimism has paid for a lot of my beer over the last 15 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1