Casablanca is perfect

GhostOfTomJoad

5 minutes ago, miguelito said:

This movie truly gets better with each viewing.

It does. I've loved it since the first time I saw it at the Paramount during their summer film series in '88 or '89. Oddly enough, my wife never really got my obsession with watching it anytime it came on TCM (which is, frankly, 2-3 times a month). She'd just kind of roll her eyes and dive into a book or something. That all changed several years ago when I convinced her to go with me to watch it on the big screen at Alamo Drafthouse. She was gobsmacked by it, and when we were walking out of the theater she just said "I finally get it." She's been as hooked on it as me ever since.

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, miguelito said:

This movie truly gets better with each viewing.

I’ve never seen it. I am remodeling my basement and installing a decent tv. I don’t watch much television, but really enjoy movies and football. 
When we’re all done, this movie will be the first thing we watch on the new system. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

just an observation after 2 viewings. Victor Laszlo and Ilsa were an odd couple. Ilsa and Rick were full on passion. Contrasting the 2 always made me think Victor and Ilsa were without romance or a sexless marriage. Even when they kissed it was meh and without attraction. Was Victor supposed to be secretly gay or did they show it that way to accentuate Rick and Ilsa's passion and romance? 

Love Casablanca and now out to watch it again.

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

Was Victor supposed to be secretly gay or did they show it that way to accentuate Rick and Ilsa's passion and romance? 

No.

LOL no.

But apparently the actor for Victor thought he was too cool for the production and was a big ol snob on the set.

Another bit of trivia... many of the cast/extras during the "La Marseillaise" scene were war ex-patriates themselves. Led to the scene having a lot more passion behind it than the producers expected, because their feelings of pride and tears were genuine.

It would be like filming a scene today where a bunch of Ukrainians sung Ще не вмерла України і слава, і воля in the face of Russian soldiers, staffed by actual recent Ukrainians.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

It does. I've loved it since the first time I saw it at the Paramount during their summer film series in '88 or '89. Oddly enough, my wife never really got my obsession with watching it anytime it came on TCM (which is, frankly, 2-3 times a month). She'd just kind of roll her eyes and dive into a book or something. That all changed several years ago when I convinced her to go with me to watch it on the big screen at Alamo Drafthouse. She was gobsmacked by it, and when we were walking out of the theater she just said "I finally get it." She's been as hooked on it as me ever since.

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

my wife won't get into old movies unless she sees them in a movie theater.  now many of her favorite movies are from seeing them at theaters that still do that.  the graduate is near the top, next to casablanca.  i've also dragged her to chinatown, butch cassidy, the godfather, in the heat of the night, and lawrence of arabia because i'm an abusive husband.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

No.

LOL no.

But apparently the actor for Victor thought he was too cool for the production and was a big ol snob on the set.

Another bit of trivia... many of the cast/extras during the "La Marseillaise" scene were war ex-patriates themselves. Led to the scene having a lot more passion behind it than the producers expected, because their feelings of pride and tears were genuine.

It would be like filming a scene today where a bunch of Ukrainians sung Ще не вмерла України і слава, і воля in the face of Russian soldiers, staffed by actual recent Ukrainians.

Fair, but do me a favor on your next watch. Look at Victor and Ilsa's interaction and tell me it isn't off and distant. Then watch Rick and her. I see a clear differdnce... Maybe Victor was in a marriage of convenience

5 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I’ve never seen it. I am remodeling my basement and installing a decent tv. I don’t watch much television, but really enjoy movies and football. 
When we’re all done, this movie will be the first thing we watch on the new system. 

I saw it first back when movies were showing all the time on campus. I'd started to watch it once on TV and didn't get into it. In the theatre, it's like treading water and rising with each swell of drama and wit. 

I strongly recommend seeing it at the Paramount or whatever revival house may be in your city. The presence of an audience experiencing this with you magnifies the impact of the great scenes. Also, no telephones or interruptions.

If you must wait a year to catch it in a theater next summer, that's what I recommend, my friend. I waited to take my beloved to see it at the Paramount instead of watching it on a pretty good TV. 

The experience of having low expectations for Casablanca and Singing In the Rain then viewing them for the first time on a big screen was indescribable. Thorough movie experiences.

4 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

just an observation after 2 viewings. Victor Laszlo and Ilsa were an odd couple. Ilsa and Rick were full on passion. Contrasting the 2 always made me think Victor and Ilsa were without romance or a sexless marriage. Even when they kissed it was meh and without attraction. Was Victor supposed to be secretly gay or did they show it that way to accentuate Rick and Ilsa's passion and romance? 

Love Casablanca and now out to watch it again.

I believe the narrative lays out that Ilsa was attracted to the hero but not passionate about Lazlo as a common man. The tension between that sense of duty and the passion which she cannot contain in the presence of Rick is the main storyline of the film. I just wrote and deleted a huge spoiler. The Rick-Ilsa-Victor triangle and what's involved raises the movie from a great entertainment to a great movie. IMHO

ETA: "Then watch Rick and her. I see a clear differdnce... Maybe Victor was in a marriage of convenience.

Again, not to start a fight, but that's the heart of the movie. It's not a marriage of convenience; it's a partnership in a heroic effort to resist the Nazis. She fell in love with the icon then discovered the man as an ill fit for her passionate ways.

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

No.

LOL no.

Thanks. I learned something. Paul Henri's aloof detachment lends great power to his role as icon rather than common man. The Marsellais scene balances on his action. Great insight.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I should find some time to watch this movie.  I’m surprised I never did catch it on ACM or turner classics over the years. 

See above. Give the movie your full attention and let it wash over you on the big screen. 

I'll hop off the podium.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Again, not to start a fight, but that's the heart of the movie. It's not a marriage of convenience; it's a partnership in a heroic effort to resist the Nazis. She fell in love with the icon then discovered the man as an ill fit for her passionate ways.

I believe what you're trying to say is she loved Rick. But she loved France more.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I saw it first back when movies were showing all the time on campus. I'd started to watch it once on TV and didn't get into it. In the theatre, it's like treading water and rising with each swell of drama and wit. 

I strongly recommend seeing it at the Paramount or whatever revival house may be in your city. The presence of an audience experiencing this with you magnifies the impact of the great scenes. Also, no telephones or interruptions.

If you must wait a year to catch it in a theater next summer, that's what I recommend, my friend. I waited to take my beloved to see it at the Paramount instead of watching it on a pretty good TV. 

The experience of having low expectations for Casablanca and Singing In the Rain then viewing them for the first time on a big screen was indescribable. Thorough movie experiences.

I believe the narrative lays out that Ilsa was attracted to the hero but not passionate about Lazlo as a common man. The tension between that sense of duty and the passion which she cannot contain in the presence of Rick is the main storyline of the film. I just wrote and deleted a huge spoiler. The Rick-Ilsa-Victor triangle and what's involved raises the movie from a great entertainment to a great movie. IMHO

ETA: "Then watch Rick and her. I see a clear differdnce... Maybe Victor was in a marriage of convenience.

Thanks. I learned something. Paul Henri's aloof detachment lends great power to his role as icon rather than common man. The Marsellais scene balances on his action. Great insight.

See above. Give the movie your full attention and let it wash over you on the big screen. 

I'll hop off the podium.

Perfect response and thanks. It struck me off even after the third watch. Really enjoy this movie and some perfect lines and mood 

• Hook 'Em 1

i always get the sense that she admired lazlo, but she loved rick.  we don't really get the sense of how lazlo really felt about her.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But those are also all immaculate pieces of cinema.  The run time on a few of them is a bit lengthy, do you get intermission?

we got an intermission on lawrence.  we saw doris roberts (marie) from everybody loves raymond loading up on whoppers or something.  she died like a month later. 

i don't think there was one for the godfather.  the others are pretty manageable.

for some reason i have encountered several people that group casablanca in with gone with the wind, maybe because they came out around the same time and were both classics for decades before most of us were born.  i think for this reason, some have avoided casablanca, because they don't want a big sweeping period piece epic that takes almost 4 hours to watch.

casablanca is a tight 100 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Fair, but do me a favor on your next watch. Look at Victor and Ilsa's interaction and tell me it isn't off and distant. Then watch Rick and her. I see a clear differdnce... Maybe Victor was in a marriage of convenience

Yeah, because Ingrid -- and most of the people on the set -- despised Paul Henreid from his (in Ingrid's words) "prima donna" ways. Paul felt that taking a supporting role to Bogart was going to hurt his career as a romantic leading man.

What's more, through most of the shooting, Ingrid didn't know whether she'd end up with Rick or Victor, so she was told to play it in-between. And in the original play, she wasn't married to either of them -- that was added due to the Hays Code.

Reading any more into it than that is a mistake, I think.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, because Ingrid -- and most of the people on the set -- despised Paul Henreid from his (in Ingrid's words) "prima donna" ways. Paul felt that taking a supporting role to Bogart was going to hurt his career as a romantic leading man.

What's more, through most of the shooting, Ingrid didn't know whether she'd end up with Rick or Victor, so she was told to play it in-between. And in the original play, she wasn't married to either of them -- that was added due to the Hays Code.

Reading any more into it than that is a mistake.

Loving the deeper knowledge with Casablanca. Thanks for the insight 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

for some reason i have encountered several people that group casablanca in with gone with the wind, maybe because they came out around the same time and were both classics for decades before most of us were born.  i think for this reason, some have avoided casablanca, because they don't want a big sweeping period piece epic that takes almost 4 hours to watch.

Casablanca also has no long boring scenes. GWTW is punctuated with multiple poignant scenes, but lotsa filler.

• Like 1

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.  

Probably my favorite movie of all time.  I first saw it at the Union in 1981 or 1982.  $1 to get in.  They were always showing classic films.  I take it they don’t still do that?  

On 9/4/2023 at 5:47 AM, Kennythetiger said:

Watch The Maltese Falcon too.

• Like 3

For about 35 bucks on Amazon you can get the fabulous 3-disc Blu-ray 70th anniversary edition. Beautiful 4K remaster and plenty of extras. The audio commentary by Roger Ebert alone is worth the price. 

image.png.2aae4088cf3e30fc30c331efa0cb17fd.png image.png.78991ca537cb0dec6952c5f2b51cd958.png

Was going to mention the Ebert commentary. It was his favorite movie and you can feel it on the commentary.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/4/2023 at 1:34 PM, henrygandorf said:

i always get the sense that she admired lazlo, but she loved rick.  we don't really get the sense of how lazlo really felt about her.

we got an intermission on lawrence.  we saw doris roberts (marie) from everybody loves raymond loading up on whoppers or something.  she died like a month later. 

i don't think there was one for the godfather.  the others are pretty manageable.

OK, but Gone With the Wind sucks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HouTex said:

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.  

Probably my favorite movie of all time.  I first saw it at the Union in 1981 or 1982.  $1 to get in.  They were always showing classic films.  I take it they don’t still do that?  

When I was in school they showed Deep Throat

I flat out weep involuntarily every time I see the sweet sad hooker sing out “Aux arms, citoyens!” at the crescendo of the La Marseillaise scene. I know what’s coming and the tears just flow. That great anthem was never performed better than Rick’s house band did it in this film. And the way Laszlo doesn’t hesitate; when he hears the Germans singing, he hurries down the stairs from Rick’s office, goes right up to the band leader, says in that great accent “Play La Marseillaise! Pleh eet!” Band leader looks up at Rick and Rick gives him “the nod.” My favorite moment in film.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

If you're a movie buff, I recommend watching 100 Years of Warner Brothers on HBO (fuck this "MAX" bullshit).  Among many other things, they devote a fair amount of time to Casablanca, and how fairly revolutionary it was for its time. 

They show that scene in which the bar patrons drown out the Germans with the French national anthem, and the documentary discusses how many of the extras in the scene were French refugees who had escaped Nazi occupation, and their tears while singing were genuine.

• Like 2

What I always found fascinating was that if Casablanca was a song, it would have been a B side.   It was never expected to be so popular and classic.  Just another war movie.   

And then they work so hard, put so much money into other shows that end up as clunkers.   Gives a little more whimsy to the idea of higher powers that oversee our art and literature.

• Like 1

I think what it also shows is the true meaning of professionals. Neither Bogey nor Bergman--nor many cast members, for that matter--thought that much of the script due in large part to the confusion caused by multiple writers working on it throughout the production. The director, Michael Curtiz, was known for his efficiency and belief that the look of the individual scenes of the film should all serve the complete story, not just that individual shot. Couple that with a first rate cinematographer in Arthur Edeson and you get fantastic results. 

People did their job to the best of their ability amid all of the chaos and uncertainty. Nobody mailed in a shot or a scene (well, Paul Henreid excluded). They rushed through the production in a few months in order to capitalize on the Allied invasion of North Africa. Somehow, it all works. It could have easily fallen apart & been a schlocky mess, instead of becoming perhaps the most enduring film in cinematic history.

• Hook 'Em 2

I love this movie and it still gives me hope for humanity that when I show it in class (HS sophomores) they genuinely like it and in contrast to the "textbook" material or curriculum "guidelines" (fuck that noise), their term papers over this movie are overwhelmingly thoughtful and insightful.   

And @GhostOfTomJoad nailed my favorite line in his first post:

"What is your nationality?

I'm a drunkard.

That makes Rick a citizen of the world."

I know a kid is on his/her game when they laugh at that line when we watch it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2