The Big 12 is fucking awful

GreenspointTexas

The Big 12 this year has a lot of squads capable of pushing pretty good teams and just as capable of losing to bad teams.  Outside of Texas and OU, I'd guess a couple of them end up in the ten wins range by the end of the season.  I just have no idea who it will be.  It's a coaching / development league, and most of the league is between up cycles.   

That said, it is pretty shocking to see how bad Oklahoma State is this year.  They looked untalented all over the field on Saturday.  Gundy has been good there for a really long time, but he doesn't strike me as someone who should be trusted to navigate the recent changes with the portal and NIL.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

If it's not in Dallas, it's going to be one of those midd-November games.  @ TCU if they've figured shit out or @ ISU - mid-to-late November game in Ames, shitty weather probably and they usually play us tough in Ames - 3-3 in our last 6 trips since the lost decade started.

I was thinking at ISU was screaming trap game L in the preseason but they look just dreadful and their already weak depth will be further strained toward the end of the year. I know Sark is bad on the road but ISU or Baylor would both be atrocious, grab the pitchforks level losses.

Just now, gmr548 said:

I was thinking at ISU was screaming trap game L in the preseason but they look just dreadful and their already weak depth will be further strained toward the end of the year. I know Sark is bad on the road but ISU or Baylor would both be atrocious, grab the pitchforks level losses.

Let’s let KSU and Alabama know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Part of me feels like the hateful 8 are prepping for Texas even more than usual this year, which explains the early season shittiness. We're talented enough that it shouldn't matter, but I expect some of our conference games to be scraps if the offense has its head up its ass to start the game like usual so far.

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Let’s let KSU and Alabama know. 

Sark is a .333 career road coach and 4-6 at Texas. You very literally just listed half his road wins here. They are good wins and he's been bad on the road. They are not mutually exclusive.

Regardless, this team is plenty good enough to overcome that against Baylor, which is my point.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Sark is a .333 career road coach and 4-6 at Texas. You very literally just listed half his road wins here. They are good wins and he's been bad on the road. They are not mutually exclusive.

Regardless, this team is plenty good enough to overcome that against Baylor, which is my point.

Last three road games, 3-0. KSU, Kansas, and Alabama. Right?

10 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Part of me feels like the hateful 8 are prepping for Texas even more than usual this year, which explains the early season shittiness.

You think these teams are punting their entire seasons to prepare for one game against Texas? That's certainly a take. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Part of me feels like the hateful 8 are prepping for Texas even more than usual this year, which explains the early season shittiness. We're talented enough that it shouldn't matter, but I expect some of our conference games to be scraps if the offense has its head up its ass to start the game like usual so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

You think these teams are punting their entire seasons to prepare for one game against Texas? That's certainly a take. 

When did I say those words? Nobody actually thinks about it in those terms. I'm sure they try to win every game on their schedule. But let's be honest, you know they want to win one game above all else. If you think Tech prepped for Wyoming the same way they're gonna prep for Texas then idk what tell you. Remember Tech struggling vs Houston Baptist a few years ago before taking Texas to overtime? This isn't some new phenomenon.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last three road games, 3-0. KSU, Kansas, and Alabama. Right?

Yes, and worth noting Texas was favored in two of those. Like I said, having a couple good road wins isn’t mutually exclusive with being bad on the road. The two immediately preceding that were disasters in Stillwater and Lubbock. It’s not like a magical switch flipped between the OSU and KSU games. If we’re going to focus on tiny sample sizes, was 2021 Texas also a good team because they won three in a row at one point? 2010 Texas? 2014 Texas? 2022 OU?

Not going to go down the rabbit hole further on this because, as I’ve been saying, I don’t believe it’s going to matter this week because this team is good enough to break through that. And really TCU is shaping up to be the only road opponent with a pulse - good chance for Texas to thoroughly exorcise those demons this year.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yes, and worth noting Texas was favored in two of those. Like I said, having a couple good road wins isn’t mutually exclusive with being bad on the road. The two immediately preceding that were disasters in Stillwater and Lubbock. It’s not like a magical switch flipped between the OSU and KSU games. If we’re going to focus on tiny sample sizes, was 2021 Texas also a good team because they won three in a row at one point? 2010 Texas? 2014 Texas? 2022 OU?

Not going to go down the rabbit hole further on this because, as I’ve been saying, I don’t believe it’s going to matter this week because this team is good enough to break through that. And really TCU is shaping up to be the only road opponent with a pulse - good chance for Texas to thoroughly exorcise those demons this year.

Maybe, and I’m just spitballing here, what “is” is different from what “was.”

Lubbock was a backup QB and Stillwater was a miraculously penalty-free Oklahoma State. But, sure, you can keep calling back to what Sarkisian’s teams did X number of years ago and discount what they’re doing now. At what point does Texas stop being bad on the road? 4-0? 5-0? Ever?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Every single team in the big 12 this year will give CSU against CU level of effort against us. Coaches will do a bunch of gimmick shit like starting QBs we don't expect and haven't prepared for, just like Wyoming did with that freshman kid.

There will be a mental component that i hope Sark prepares them for. Embracing the hate is one thing, but it's going to be an insufferable amount of pettiness during the actual games.

Maybe, and I’m just spitballing here, what “is” is different from what “was.”
Lubbock was a backup QB and Stillwater was a miraculously penalty-free Oklahoma State. But, sure, you can keep calling back to what Sarkisian’s teams did X number of years ago and discount what they’re doing now. At what point does Texas stop being bad on the road? 4-0? 5-0? Ever?

Probably somewhere beyond one road game into a season coming off 1-4 and 2-2 road records.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Probably somewhere beyond one road game into a season coming off 1-4 and 2-2 road records.

Well, Texas was about -9 at KU and won by 39. About -3 at KSU and won by 7 (I’m not sure being a road favorite at the #13 team supports your argument as much as you think it does), and +7 at Alabama and won by 10.

But, sure, years ago Sarkisian’s team didn’t do as well on the road as one might think. You’ll always have his prior gigs to fall back on. 

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Well, Texas was about -9 at KU and won by 39. About -3 at KSU and won by 7 (I’m not sure being a road favorite at the #13 team supports your argument as much as you think it does), and +7 at Alabama and won by 10.

But, sure, years ago Sarkisian’s team didn’t do as well on the road as one might think. You’ll always have his prior gigs to fall back on. 

Everyone knows every other coach in America and every other team can improve, but Texas cannot and must always be judged by its past decade. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Everyone knows every other coach in America and every other team can improve, but Texas cannot and must always be judged by its past decade. 

Yeah. This staff can’t build a roster or develop players because the last two didn’t. The actual coaches involved don’t matter, just “it’s Texas.”

Then, Texas will lose a game it likely should’ve won, like 99% of teams do year in and year out, and it’s “see, I told you.”

• Hook 'Em 6

Fourth quarter teams tend to win tough games. We have looked like a serious fourth quarter team this year. One will never be able to assess the present without accounting for the past, but things change and the present is never the past. Are we going to the CFP? I don't know. Will we win the b12 this year? I don't know. Am I concerned about our ability to win b12 road games this year? No. As stated elsewhere, statistics almost demand that even very good teams lose occasionally, and losses are more likely on the road than at home, so a road loss is a strong possibility. But 2 would surprise me. Many people who never expected us to beat Bama will be hard to convince that beating them soundly is a reason to change their paradigm for evaluating Texas under Sark.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Fourth quarter teams tend to win tough games. We have looked like a serious fourth quarter team this year. One will never be able to assess the present without accounting for the past, but things change and the present is never the past. Are we going to the CFP? I don't know. Will we win the b12 this year? I don't know. Am I concerned about our ability to win b12 road games this year? No. As stated elsewhere, statistics almost demand that even very good teams lose occasionally, and losses are more likely on the road than at home, so a road loss is a strong possibility. But 2 would surprise me. Many people who never expected us to beat Bama will be hard to convince that beating them soundly is a reason to change their paradigm for evaluating Texas under Sark.

Texas isn’t better. Alabama is worse. Even though that wasn’t the pregame position. Texas wins reveal overrated opponents. Texas losses reveal overrated Texas. It’s that Catch-22 thing I like so much. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/16/2023 at 4:05 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Fuck this fucking conference.  Not one of them did a damn thing to build a bigger brand except the two that are leaving.

Kansas and TCU certainly have.   I would be surprised if Kansas is still in the Big 12 in 2030.  I'm not sure anyone else wants TCU unless they do some sort of SMU deal.

11 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

When did I say those words? Nobody actually thinks about it in those terms. I'm sure they try to win every game on their schedule. But let's be honest, you know they want to win one game above all else. If you think Tech prepped for Wyoming the same way they're gonna prep for Texas then idk what tell you. Remember Tech struggling vs Houston Baptist a few years ago before taking Texas to overtime? This isn't some new phenomenon.

We don't play Tech until almost December. We play Iowa State the week before that I believe. We don't play osu at all this season. Baylor had 3 games before they played us - including one at home against Utah that I'm assuming they spent time prepping for. Rice went and beat UH after playing us and Wyoming had already beaten Tech coming into DKR. Those two haven't struggled despite us being by far the biggest game on their schedule.

If you're assertion is that teams like Tech and ISU have lost games in September because they're looking two months ahead to Texas, then yes, you are basically saying that they are fucking up their entire season to game plan for Texas. Which is a great way to get fired and have your team quit on you. Is Aranda that stupid that he thinks he has some great chance at beating us this season? 

19 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

And the rest of the conference has filled the void of that awful time in Texas football history to win how many national championships? When was the last time a Big 12 team other than one of those two did it?

I still think Okie State would have won it in 2011 if they had been in the game.  That was a total screw job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yeah. This staff can’t build a roster or develop players because the last two didn’t. The actual coaches involved don’t matter, just “it’s Texas.”

Then, Texas will lose a game it likely should’ve won, like 99% of teams do year in and year out, and it’s “see, I told you.”

It’s the “well there’s Texas not living up to its potential again”.  But if Texas has a 10+ win season it’s “how could they not be successful with all of the advantages they have?”   So just embrace the hate and fuck the rest.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

I don't understand the point of this thread. The SEC has stunk it up pretty bad so far, maybe even worse than the Big 12.

Well the two best teams in the B12 are leaving so yes this conference sucks beyond how poorly it has been run for years and years.  Also what makes the B12 suck is bone deep and can’t be fixed.  There’s a damn good chance the SEC will still have a participant win the NC even in a down year.  One is much more fixable than the other.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

I don't understand the point of this thread. The SEC has stunk it up pretty bad so far, maybe even worse than the Big 12.

Bc we have to play this fuckwads this year and the goal is to win the conference and make Yormark eat shit when he hands the trophy to Sark and Ewers in December 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

The point of this thread is to point and laugh at how shitty this horribly mismanaged, Texas-hating collection of second-rate bitches is.

This is probably also the thread wherein we will celebrate having won this bitchass conference in spite of its egregious efforts to block us from doing so.

And, we might use this thread to point and laugh some more as the Big 12 devolves into Conference USA 2.0 over the next few years.

This thread is going places.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

If you're assertion is that teams like Tech and ISU have lost games in September because they're looking two months ahead to Texas, then yes, you are basically saying that they are fucking up their entire season to game plan for Texas. Which is a great way to get fired and have your team quit on you. Is Aranda that stupid that he thinks he has some great chance at beating us this season? 

For sure Dave Aranda spent more time this off season preparing for Texas than he did Texas State. Just like for sure our coaches spent more time preparing for Alabama than we did for Rice or Wyoming.

I don't think Baylor is trying to purposefully fuck up the rest of their season, but they probably thought they could run their base offense and defense, and out talent Texas State and win. They were obviously wrong, but the Baylor team that played Texas State will not look anything like the one we will see Saturday in Waco. This is a jihad game for them. They will try every trick play, do things they have never shown on film before, go for unreasonable fourth downs, etc. We will get their best shot, whatever the fuck that looks like. 

Also, I watched Dave Aranda's press conference yesterday. He might actually be that stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

The point is to revel in predicting the demise of the conference after we leave.  You know, the texags playbook from 2011-2012.

Edited by WBT

Bc we have to play this fuckwads this year and the goal is to win the conference and make Yormark eat shit when he hands the trophy to Sark and Ewers in December 
And when that happens I hope someone mentions "taking care of business down in Austin".

Of course we actually have to do that or this post will age like fine milk.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

We don't play Tech until almost December. We play Iowa State the week before that I believe. We don't play osu at all this season. Baylor had 3 games before they played us - including one at home against Utah that I'm assuming they spent time prepping for. Rice went and beat UH after playing us and Wyoming had already beaten Tech coming into DKR. Those two haven't struggled despite us being by far the biggest game on their schedule.

You’re overstating it.

Tech, TCU, Baylor don’t prepare for Texas all the time where they lose games, that’s dumb. They DO design their base offensive and defensive identity around what Texas is doing to give themselves the best chance at winning.

We’ve seen this multiple times. Texas easily beats Tech, they change their coordinators and schemes, going into the game they look fairly average but their schemes match up well and their players (knowing they are on the big stage) play the best games of their careers and they occasionally pull of the upset.

Two weeks later they get crushed by OU 70-10. Happens pretty much every year.

And yes, I think your insane if you think Tech/Baylor practiced 4 weeks in a row for Wyoming/Texas St and didn’t focus on Texas during their fall camp.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

but the Baylor team that played Texas State will not look anything like the one we will see Saturday in Waco.

I disagree. They aren't good. They weren't good against Texas State and they won't be good against us on Saturday. They may play harder and try more gimmicky shit but if Texas doesn't line up and kick the shit out of them it will be an indictment against Texas - not some well-executed master plan from Aranda. 

Someone posted yesterday that efficiency-wise Baylor has been one of the worst teams in the country through 3 games. Meanwhile Rice and Wyoming are at the upper-end of G5 teams and middle of the pack in FBS. At some point Texas is going to come out and drub someone shittier than us, and Baylor is one of the worst 3 teams left on the schedule. 

It's obviously in Waco but I bet that stadium will be at least 25% Horns fans and could be closer to 40 or 50%.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I posted elsewhere that, at 80 wins over Baylor, Texas was foregoing the chance to be the first to hit 100 wins over another school in all college football. 

It occurred to me to look at the Bedlam series. OMG! OU has 91 wins over OSU! They definitely need to keep playing; they should hit 100 in ten years. 

Embrace the Hate tour starts this week. In their final season, I'm hoping the team is as focused on raping and pillaging the B12 as they were against Bama. It'll be every B12 teams Superbowl when we play them. We need to match the desire to buttfuck them, no lube. Make them remember this shit for perpetuity. 

• Hook 'Em 1